• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After seeing how amazing sony's games looked at E3 i'm wishing Neo gets upgraded

LordRaptor

Can we stop "the developers can do 60fps if they want" thing?

Developers have a vision of their game they cannot always achieve if they go for 60 fps.

Uhhhh.... that's the exact same statement though.
If their vision of a game is to hit 60fps, they can do so.

RibMan

I don't care if it costs 499$ i want to experience all those amazing looking games at 60fps, with the best IQ possible for a 499$ console. seriously after playing last of us at 60fps, the gameplay is so much better, and smoother. i'm praying neo gets delayed for a better cpu.

I think there are three things to consider:

1) You might not care if it costs $499.99, however, Sony's business execs, finance, accounting department etc. and millions of gamers will care. I'm confident they haven't forgotten what happened the last time they priced their console @ $500 and up.

2) Higher specs =/= 60fps. In fact, developers will openly prioritize eye-candy at 30fps because people notice (and care about) effects and the amount of stuff on screen over fluidity and motion of gameplay. It's easier to sell a fancier explosion than a smoother animation.

3) Notice KZObsessed, Aostia, and wapplew's posts? Graphics and graphics alone as a selling point for a new console is a bad idea when your team of developers are delivering fantastic graphics on the old console. The Neo's selling point (i.e. High-end graphics on console) is significantly weaker now that we've seen UC4, GoW, Horizon:ZD, and Detroit:BH. This is just the truth of talented people; they can impress with way less, making the need for way more unnecessary.

If they delay it a year to improve the tech then you'll just see next year's E3 trailers looking amazing and you'll want another delay to make it more powerful. At some point they have to finalise it and get it out there. There'll be another Playstation in 2018/2019 anyway.

nope i was super excited for neo, then i got the bad news it won't be able run 60fps cause of the weak cpu. i'm good with 4.4 teraflops, just the cpu is the main problem.

MattXIII

So according to DF, the God of War E3 demo was running on a regular 'ol PS4 at an unlocked frame rate - hovering between 30 and 40fps.
So I would say with confidence once updated to Neo standards most if not all Sony first party titles will run at a targeted 60fps.

Let's hope.

leeh

I'm in the camp of, if you think they're amazing already then why do you need the upgrade? Neo will happily play those games at the quality you think is amazing, at 60fps.

duhmetree

Isn't it too late in the game for a major update?

Osiris has said they were mulling over 2 options. If I remembered correctly, one was with a Jaguar CPU at $399.. the other was an improved ( speculating Zen-lite ) CPU..

Beefier CPU + Boosting the GPU clock = the $499 NEO we want... or at least I want.

The games Sony showed this E3 look extraordinary good. Without Uncharted 4, I'd really doubt that some of them didn't get a little extra push from PS4 Neo to show off.

The thing is, thanks to diminishing returns, I doubt that PS4 Neo games will look THAT much better, especially when the only benefit is a bump to solid 60fps. I mean, that's cool and all, but I doubt this will convince me to upgrade anytime soon. And I am also worried because this 60 fps bump is an "easy victory" compared to other graphics enhancement solutions, so a lot of devs might choose that route instead of investing resources in better overall graphics (like, better textures, models, LOV, etc).

That said, if the VR experience is significantly better, then this is what might convince me.

MMaRsu

Banned
People expecting 60fps Bloodborne and proper framepacing are hilarious to me. Do you really think FROM can even do that.

I think going 1080p/60fps with 4k upscaling will be a smart move for Sony with Neo. 1080p upscales extremely well to 4k, standard blu-ray and PS4 games look fantastic on my Sony 4k TV.

People expecting 60fps Bloodborne and proper framepacing are hilarious to me. Do you really think FROM can even do that.

they did for dark souls 2 on ps4/xbox one, but yea with out a real cpu upgrade they can't, with zen, they should be able to easily.

JordanN

Banned
Can we stop "the developers can do 60fps if they want" thing?

Developers have a vision of their game they cannot always achieve if they go for 60 fps. PS4 is not an infinite power machine.

So why do they go with 30fps then? It seems hypocritical to complain about sacrifices when 30fps is already a sacrifice.

Those games look good enough for me assuming they won't be downgraded. I want 60fps in Neo, not 4K. If they can do it, I will buy Neo. If not then I should stick with base PS4

It's perplexing to me that people keep talking about what can and can't be done on the Neo when 1) Sony has announced no specs, and 2) announced no release date. You really think Sony will just forge ahead with your rumored 'anemic' specs after MS laid out their whole gameplan? Nah. Sony is smarter than that. Trust in the Tub.

Y'all should really just try to enjoy the (great) consoles you have now, otherwise you're never going to be satisfied. Because in this new half-gen situation Sony wants to put us in, as soon as the Neo comes out the PS5 rumors will start up.

So why do they go with 30fps then? It seems hypocritical to complain about sacrifices when 30fps is already a sacrifice.

obviously developers choose graphics over 60fps, if they have to make a choice out of the two, but of course if they enough power the games would 60fps, just look at all the remasters from sony on ps4, they all run 60fps, despite getting better graphics and AA.

TheYanger

It's perplexing to me that people keep talking about what can and can't be done on the Neo when 1) Sony has announced no specs, and 2) announced no release date. You really think Sony will just forge ahead with your rumored 'anemic' specs after MS laid out their whole gameplan? Nah. Sony is smarter than that. Trust in the Tub.

Y'all should really just try to enjoy the (great) consoles you have now, otherwise you're never going to be satisfied. Because in this new half-gen situation Sony wants to put us in, as soon as the Neo comes out the PS5 rumors will start up.

I'm not sure that "Hey, these are the specs we handed to devs" count as rumors. With rules for what they can and can't do with their versions on Neo, and when to start shipping compatible versions of games, etc.

Like, you're right that they haven't gone on the record about it other than saying that it exists, but to just call it 'rumors' is fucking ridiculous.

zoukka

The games Sony showed this E3 look extraordinary good. Without Uncharted 4, I'd really doubt that some of them didn't get a little extra push from PS4 Neo to show off.

The thing is, thanks to diminishing returns, I doubt that PS4 Neo games will look THAT much better, especially when the only benefit is a bump to solid 60fps. I mean, that's cool and all, but I doubt this will convince me to upgrade anytime soon. And I am also worried because this 60 fps bump is an "easy victory" compared to other graphics enhancement solutions, so a lot of devs might choose that route instead of investing resources in better overall graphics (like, better textures, models, LOV, etc).

That said, if the VR experience is significantly better, then this is what might convince me.

We couldn't disagree more. "Mere bump" to 60fps is the single most striking thing we could get with new hardware. Too bad the trend is 30fps and added fidelity.

I'm not sure that "Hey, these are the specs we handed to devs" count as rumors. With rules for what they can and can't do with their versions on Neo, and when to start shipping compatible versions of games, etc.

Like, you're right that they haven't gone on the record about it other than saying that it exists, but to just call it 'rumors' is fucking ridiculous.

Well sure, they aren't unsubstantiated rumors. But at this point, without a public date Sony still has the flexibility to change their plans. Besides, we only have to look back at the PS4 reveal when its RAM was a huge surprise.

MattXIII

My man. 60fps really improves experience a lot :)

Yeah, tell me about it. Jumped back into Dark Souls 3 the other day after spending tons of time with both Doom and Overwatch, thought my ps4 was malfunctioning for a sec. Needed to acclimatize to the new 30fps environment. XD

viHuGi

Banned
Neo is a 1080 60 machine, most likely games will be down sampled from 1440p and run at 60 fps max settings while on OG PS4 you get medium settings and 30 fps from 2017 forward, late in the generation ps4 will get very low settings and Neo High in order to run latest games at 1080 60 and then...
Playstation 5

Neo is a 1080 60 machine, most likely games will be down sampled from 1440p and run at 60 fps max settings while on OG PS4 you get medium settings and 30 fps from 2017 forward, late in the generation ps4 will get very low settings and Neo High in order to run latest games at 1080 60 and then...
Playstation 5

The Neo isn't going to outperform the GTX 1080

We couldn't disagree more. "Mere bump" to 60fps is the single most striking thing we could get with new hardware. Too bad the trend is 30fps and added fidelity.

And that's totally fine, this just shows how difficult it will be for Neo to find the right proposition. I hope it has enough power under the bonnet to do both, I just doubt it.

geordiemp

I think there are three things to consider:

1) You might not care if it costs $499.99, however, Sony's business execs, finance, accounting department etc. and millions of gamers will care. I'm confident they haven't forgotten what happened the last time they priced their console @ $500 and up.

No, they are not pricing their console at 599, the console is $ 350. The Elite version for enthusiasts maybe $499 or more.

Its like saying microsoft priced their controller at $ 150, no they did not, thats the elite controller. Your argument is plain wrong comparison to Ps3 launch. If Ps3 launch had a $ 300 option......

MS is targeting 4K console gaming with Scorpio. Sony is targeting 1080/60.

Not really. MS mentioned Fallout 4 in VR. Fallout 4 in VR would be 1200p at 90 FPS.

I think MS is secretly targeting a VR / AR capable machine as well, and are not ready for that bullet point as they maybe talking to Occulus and Vive or considering there own. Lets face it, 6 TF is not a 4K native gaming machine for all titles. Also there have been some GAF posts about Scorpio and zen, hence MS are skirting around the main purpose and 4K is an easy message TODAY.

What is Sony targeting and its purpose for a Jaguar CPU with 30 % upclock ? I dont think Sony know either, it might scrape some titles to 60 FPS, but DF will have a field day with those bottle necks and performance issues.

I dont think Sony really knows, they decided on a 14 nm console and a Jaguar and polaris was easiest to squeeze in cheaply to existing Ps4 design, but with no real purpose / what is the upgrades main goal ?

geordiemp

Microsoft has been very clear that they're planning to have the Scorpio run new titles at 4K

6 TF.... No just no, go look at some 4K benchmarks and tell us how 9 TF performs..

4 K is just an easy soundbite for now, MS wants a VR capable console IMO, hence MS mentioned Fallout 4 VR in the scorpio reveal. There is the clue.

Fallout 4 for Occulus = 1200p at 90 FPS Locked.

For a VR capable console if for Occulus or Vive, MS specs look great in particular dat massive bandwidth and zen rumours, but maybe MS not ready to say that yet. And XB1 S will not be VR capable, ever.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
If they delay it a year to improve the tech then you'll just see next year's E3 trailers looking amazing and you'll want another delay to make it more powerful. At some point they have to finalise it and get it out there. There'll be another Playstation in 2018/2019 anyway.

Dunno about delaying it for a year. They were debating upgrading the CPU. That wouldn't be an impossible improvement.

tuna_love

Banned
6 TF.... No just no, go look at some 4K benchmarks and tell us how 9 TF performs..

4 K is just an easy soundbite for now, MS wants a VR capable console IMO, hence MS mentioned Fallout 4 VR in the scorpio reveal. There is the clue.

Fallout 4 for Occulus = 1200p at 90 FPS Locked.
if its comparable to a 980ti they could absolutely do current games at 4k 30

geordiemp

if its comparable to a 980ti they could absolutely do current games at 4k 30

Its from AMD, look up 6 TF AMD performance. How does Fury do ?

There are 2 levels consumers want to be hit depending on what devs offer.

1. 1080p60 for all titles dev permitting
2. 4K30

If you hit those, the next level is 4K60 which we are a long way away from. The problem with lower price option Neo is it hits none of those goals,. If Neo can achieve those goals, we wont need a Ps5 until it can do 4K60.

You can always play the remasters in ten years if you want better graphics.

lol but were so close, i mean they want to give us options right? i don't see the point of a upgraded ps4 just to have a solid 30fps and better IQ. if this machine is for enthusiasts then 60fps would be the biggest factor for most.

So according to DF, the God of War E3 demo was running on a regular 'ol PS4 at an unlocked frame rate - hovering between 30 and 40fps.
So I would say with confidence once updated to Neo standards most if not all Sony first party titles will run at a targeted 60fps.

Let's hope.

Yep. After Scorpio specs got out everyone seems to think that Neo is a nothing upgrade, when it still does in fact have more than twice the teraflops of the regular PS4. A lot of games will absolutely run at 60fps on that thing.

viHuGi

Banned

For the sequel of course, to original? No way lol

Game is old already, patching it would take time and money and most people already finished it and won't touch it again probably.

pixelbox

It's actually made me less interested in Neo. If the standard PS4 can put out the best looking games in the industry why do I need Neo? Though, that will probably change when they show Horizon Zero Dawn Neo mode and my eyes explode.
I love how you're a GG fan like me. They are so good.

BONKERS

This, as well. Neo games probably aren't likely to see 60fps, unless it's an upgraded older title. They're likely to see graphical upgrades to make screenshots that look better, ergo making games look better in marketing material

Exactly, and they will continue to fuck up 30FPS performance even just because of this shit.

Same with Scorpio. 4k? Yeah right, no way hitting native 4k without fudging trickery to make pseudo 4k or sacrificing performance.

JimiNutz

Banned
Yeah I agree.
Framerate is more important to me that resolution. I'd happily buy a Neo if it meant that any PS4 game running at 30 FPS could run at 60 FPS on Neo.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
yes they do, but i want them at 60fps, and neo rumored/almost confirmed specs, probably won't be possible, based on DF and tech heads analysis, because of the weak CPU.

It depends very much on the game. Some of these games may well be possible at 60fps on Neo depending on how their performance is bound. And the CPU is getting a 30% upclock which wouldn't go amiss in that effort in some cases.

Peterthumpa

Are people really thinking that Sony will market Neo as a "60 FPS" machine? I'm fully expecting more eye-candy, better textures and AA methods than just double the framerate.

A better IQ is so much easier to sell than that magic 60 FPS number. Ask anyone who's outside our gamer bubble and you'll see what I'm talking about.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Are people really thinking that Sony will market Neo as a "60 FPS" machine? I'm fully expecting more eye-candy, better textures and AA methods than just double the framerate.

A better IQ is so much easier to sell than that magic 60 FPS number. Ask anyone who's outside our gamer bubble and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Agreed, I don't think it will be the predominant focus. I think eye candy differences are more easily marketable judging by developer's focus already - and I guess they've done their market research. But I can see some games getting that framerate bump - perhaps especially if the Neo target market is more 'hardcore' and likely to be more interested in framerate.

Raylan

Banned
After seeing how amazing sony's games looked at E3 i'm wishing Neo gets cancelled.
Comment makes no sense at all. Simply don't but it then. Let other people buy it if they want to.

I don't care if it costs 499$ i want to experience all those amazing looking games at 60fps, with the best IQ possible for a 499$ console. seriously after playing last of us at 60fps, the gameplay is so much better, and smoother. i'm praying neo gets delayed for a better cpu.
And this doesn't make sense either. You say these games already look amazing. You will get a new console in a few months that is ~2.5x more powerful. And for whatever reason now you want it would be even more powerful? For what? For the 4K resolution? ~2.5x is more than enough to make it 2.5x more amazing :p
So yeah, Sony does not really need to upgrade the specs any further. It will launch in a few months already and not in 1 1/2 years.

Top Bottom