• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After seeing how amazing sony's games looked at E3 i'm wishing Neo gets upgraded

tzare

They seem to have a very clear idea of what they want with PS4 Neo, That is the better news for me to me since it is a novelty in the console space to release updated hardware (New 3DS maybe too) so they have to be careful with the product (compatibility and pricing) and the message(not leaving customers behind and such).

It seems an easier transition than the jump Scorpio is doing (more power and in late 2017).

Even if it isn't a success i can see them still dominating the console space for a while until ps5 is released, if it ever exists

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
so there is still a chance for a upgrade?
search

i'm reading the translation, and the mention competing with PC, then they must upgrade or this just becomes a bad joke.

Hardly. The calibre of GPU is enough, for example, to take a game like Battlefront at 900p on standard PS4 ('low-high settings' depending on the map) to PC ultra settings at 1080p/60. This is the kind of intention of Neo, to better keep up (I think) at 1080p with what's available on PC, with some 4K stuff, and then general 4K media playback. It's not intended to blow away the PC high-end, but simply to raise things up to better compare vs a standard PS4.

geordiemp

There's a middle ground, you know. With 4K TVs slowly becoming common in 2017, it would be a massive problem to keep games at 1080P - as a 4K display owner, I can tell you that 1080P upscaled to 4K kind of sucks.

1440P is definitely better and surely in the range of PS4 Neo's capabilities.

Nah, I have a Panny 55 inch 4 K, the upscaling is superb and looks better than my Sony 905 1080 hangiing next to it.

I play all games at 1080 on a 4K set and side by side comparison with the best rated 1080p Sony set it looks great.

In fact, sitting 8 ft away, I really cannot see the point of 4K, will need to get some special glasses so I can zoom in on those pixels lol

OCD Guy

that probably aint happening

I don't see why Naughty Dog couldn't release a patch for the Neo.

The ps4 manages a pretty solid 30fps in single player, and the Neo is supposedly a significant increase in power.

If we were talking 4k then obviously not, a 980ti and even 1080 aren't able to max every game at 60fps at 4k, so there's ZERO chance the PS4 and equivalent Xbox will.

Salz01

To take 1080p/30 PS4 games to 4K/60fps would probably require a 12Tflop+ system with HBM or HBM2.

e.g. a 'Trinity' revision in another 2 or 3 years, if not a PS5.

Let's do it. Having a 'slight' increase in performance / graphics; isn't going to cut it. Because once people get this new Neo thing, and Xbox releases 4K Scorpio, people will bitch.

cheezcake

People expecting higher framerates might be disappointed, if a game has a CPU bottleneck that ain't happening, and given the CPU's in these consoles that's not a far fetched idea.

It's just not possible for a machine releasing end of this year, beyond some minor alterations.

Microsoft will be using a largely different (and newer) setup and that's why it's hol 2017.

The Neo will be fine anyway. It will be a good improvement over PS4 and not a million miles behind the Scorpio.

geordiemp

that probably aint happening

Sony first party will sure offer Neo mode and will probably do it for all first party games to help sell Neo. UC4 multiplayer is 60, so UC4 would be most likely.

Witcher 3 is supported heavily by CPDR, one of the best developers for post support to their customers, and they know a thing or 2 about PC options. Again, if any third party dev was to update an older game, its CPDR.

However, I would doubt Neo with only a 30 % better CPU clock, could run Witcher at 60 even if CPDR wanted to.

Frostbite 900p60 games will go to 1080p60 easily imo, so there is those games, and as they are dynamic scaling maybe will just do it naturally.

J-Skee

There was something seriously wrong with The Last of Us 30FPS mode. It was awful. And it wasn't just from switching back from 60FPS.

If every game was 60FPS on Neo though it would definitely be worth it.

Okay, so it wasn't just me. I don't remember it playing like that on the PS3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Let's do it. Having a 'slight' increase in performance / graphics; isn't going to cut it. Because once people get this new Neo thing, and Xbox releases 4K Scorpio, people will bitch.

Why would they? Scorpio level spec isn't going to get you 4K/60 PS4 games either, and it's coming perhaps a year later. As is, on the GPU side, Neo is 2-3x bump over PS4, or a 3-4x bump over XB1. On the GPU side I wouldn't call it 'slight' and it's coming this year (I guess). For 1080p targets, which I think will be a lot more relevant for the next couple of years, this is a good jump up.

This isn't an either/or, anyway. That 4k/60 bump can come in 2019, for example, when it's more feasible.

bidguy

Banned
Sony firts party will sure offer Neo mode and will probably do it for all first party games to help sell Neo. UC4 multiplayer is 60, so UC4 would be most likely.

Witcher 3 is supported heavily by CPDR, one of the best developers for post support to their customers, and they know a thing or 2 about PC options. Again, if any third party dev was to update an older game, its CPDR.

dont know about uncharted but witcher isnt even solid 30 on ps4 ...

tzare

People expecting higher framerates might be disappointed, if a game has a CPU bottleneck that ain't happening, and given the CPU's in these consoles that's not a far fetched idea.

Well. A CPU upgrade was into consideration and not decided yet, at least when initial leaks were revealed... in fact the dilemma was pricing vs better CPU, the GPU seems to be in a decent spot for 1080p gaming (or even 1440p and then upscaled to 4K) unless they plan true 4K gaming.
499€ with a better GPU or 399 upclocked Jaguar?

Hardly. The calibre of GPU is enough, for example, to take a game like Battlefront at 900p on standard PS4 ('low-high settings' depending on the map) to PC ultra settings at 1080p/60. This is the kind of intention of Neo, to better keep up (I think) at 1080p with what's available on PC, with some 4K stuff, and then general 4K media playback. It's not intended to blow away the PC high-end, but simply to raise things up to better compare vs a standard PS4.

its not really keeping coming up though, a 3 teraflops PC with a good cpu is still better at running games thirdparty then a ps4k. cpu is the main problem for ps4, and will still be a problem for ps4k, especially with all the open world games coming out.

GoaThief

When Scorpio arrives I'll probably switch to that from PS4 for the bulk of my gaming. Multi-platforms will be significantly improved with that kind of grunt and it has a more robust online infrastructure (although no group chat yet, boo). Unless the PS4K becomes vital to PSVR's experience or offers an almost essential bump over standard Playstation exclusives, I may skip it altogether so I might be inclined to agree with the OP a little.

That said, Sony have been very tight lipped about the whole thing so revisions might be the order of the day or we might see alternating power-leading .5 iterations between the two main contenders as a forward strategy. Who knows? I'd say both are in great position for a long time to come now from a hardware perspective and much more besides, unlike Nintendo who seem to be slipping by the way worryingly quickly. If any console needed a kick up the bum I'd say it was the NX if rumors are to be believed.

a.wd

Dirty early gen peasants, Glorious Mid Gen Console Master Race...

Games will be fine, slow your roll bro.

THE:MILKMAN

No need to, we already have demanding games dropping from 30 FPS (see witcher 3 etc etc).Even Naughty dog targeted 60 FPS in Uncharted 4 and had to go back to 30.

1080p is a good resolution for the Ps4 GPU cores, so its got to be bandwidth OR / And CPU. And its widely known Jaguar is very low instruction per clock weak and low powered CPU.

Yes we are guessing but even the oririsblack first Neo leak said sony had option B with a stronger CPU for the Neo. It all points to the CPU sherlock.

Look, the bottom line is that no console is getting a desktop class CPU unless the GPU is paired back to compensate. Can't have everything. Even if Neo did get Zen cores it would more likely be the equivalent Laptop/Netbook versions.

This is all moot anyway re: Neo because it isn't a new console it is in the simplest terms a slim that due to timing (or may be it was the plan all along?) they got a "free" upgrade.

It is true we don't know the full specs yet so there could be some surprises still.

And I see myself as more Watson than Sherlock!

geordiemp

Look, the bottom line is that no console is getting a desktop class CPU unless the GPU is paired back to compensate. Can't have everything. Even if Neo did get Zen cores it would more likely be the equivalent Laptop/Netbook versions.

This is all moot anyway re: Neo because it isn't a new console it is in the simplest terms a slim that due to timing (or may be it was the plan all along?) they got a "free" upgrade.

It is true we don't know the full specs yet so there could be some surprises still.

And I see myself as more Watson than Sherlock!

Dear Watson, lets hope Sony chooses the red pill. The 36 CU GPU is such a low clock from the leaked specs..........

dont know about uncharted but witcher isnt even solid 30 on ps4 ...

Exactly, I could only play it for a few hours, it sits in my backlog just waiting for a hardware bump......If any game needed a Frame rate improvement its Witcher 3.

Sad that I put a game on my backlog because of performance 2 years into a generation.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
its not really keeping coming up though, a 3 teraflops PC with a good cpu is still better at running games thirdparty then a ps4k. cpu is the main problem for ps4, and will still be a problem for ps4k, especially with all the open world games coming out.

From a framerate point of view, the scope of improvement will indeed be limited in CPU games to the clock bump afforded by Neo. From an eyecandy point of view though, it should certainly compare a lot more favourably in that scenario than the standard PS4.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
By the way, if we got a decent translation of those House comments on release timing, they'd be well worth surfacing into a new thread.

Slaythe

I'm in the camp of, if you think they're amazing already then why do you need the upgrade? Neo will happily play those games at the quality you think is amazing, at 60fps.

To get rid of popping in/ bad lod, bad af, get better lightning and shadows, guarantee a no dip 30 fps at least.

I just hope they get slightly closer to 5TF, but generally, I just want games like what we saw at E3 running at higher framerates, if 2.5x more powerful is all devs need to do that, I’m pretty much locked into Neo, definitely for my second PS4.

So one trade in to get Neo, and then we’ll get a second one after price-drop for my wife.

Should be a good year, but I’m hoping for a slight bump since many are saying it’s not a big enough increase for the tech now available. Go $499 Sony and give us a nice little monster.

I agree with the OP.

I do see why others might want a higher performance PS4, but I don't see why Sony needs a Neo unless both GPU and CPU gets a significant upgrade for minimal expense.

Really all Sony needs to do is focus on putting out great games and the base PS4 will continue to attract new players anyways regardless of power, including top graphics and performance-seeking PC gamers purchasing it as a side console to play the exclusives.

I didn't always feel like this. The wife already gave me permission to purchase a Neo when it releases. But after playing UC4 and seeing how great those upcoming games looked at Sony's E3, I'm not so sure I need one yet.

The Neo has already been confirmed by Sony though, so it will be interesting to see what changes it brings. Heck, I may 180 again and say Day 1!

Alexious

Nah, I have a Panny 55 inch 4 K, the upscaling is superb and looks better than my Sony 905 1080 hangiing next to it.

I play all games at 1080 on a 4K set and side by side comparison with the best rated 1080p Sony set it looks great.

In fact, sitting 8 ft away, I really cannot see the point of 4K, will need to get some special glasses so I can zoom in on those pixels lol

Have you even watched any native 4K content?

vpance

Are people really thinking that Sony will market Neo as a "60 FPS" machine? I'm fully expecting more eye-candy, better textures and AA methods than just double the framerate.

A better IQ is so much easier to sell than that magic 60 FPS number. Ask anyone who's outside our gamer bubble and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Disagree, 60 FPS is easier to sell. Neo is supposed to be aimed at enthusiasts, so they know.

StereoVsn

So what OP is saying that with all the amazing looking games on PS4, he wants PS4 NEO which is rumored to be I. The neighborhood of 3x as amazing in graphics as OG PS4 to be even more amazing.

OP also doesn't care that the said console walking sell jack shit at that $500-$600 price and that better upgrade is not going to be around till latter part of 2017 (hence Scorpio target release).

Think McFly, Think!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just hope Sony has a CPU in Neo that will facilitate 60fps. Even if the GPU isn't up to Scorpio's, which I doubt it will be, I feel like focusing on 60 would be a huge benefit and would serve the enthusiast market that they're focusing on with this device. HDR is already a huge visual benefit without improving resolution and 1080p scales smoothly to 4k (I despise scaling artifacts) and 60fps would also be a benefit those that don't have 4k displays would be able to appreciate.

I also think it would be an easier task for developers. They can focus on making the standard console version be a solid and attractive 30fps so that it's still playable and viable and have the 60fps version for the power users who would purchase a new console. Even with a 4.2tf GPU, there's enough headroom to even improve visuals further at 60. I think it would be the best usage of the resources but it all depends on if the CPU is up to the task. I doubt native 4k would be viable even if it had a 6tflop GPU.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm actually thinking that if both neo and Scorpio focus on 4K then I'll skip them until I eventually upgrade to a 4ktv. Even as a tech fan that has a tendency to upgrade more often than necessary I'm still very happy with my 1080p set. Maybe once HDR shakes out and now 4K streaming and UHD bluray is coming is about time to upgrade though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just hope Sony has a CPU in Neo that will facilitate 60fps. Even if the GPU isn't up to Scorpio's, which I doubt it will be, I feel like focusing on 60 would be a huge benefit and would serve the enthusiast market that they're focusing on with this device. HDR is already a huge visual benefit without improving resolution and 1080p scales smoothly to 4k (I despise scaling artifacts) and 60fps would also be a benefit those that don't have 4k displays would be able to appreciate.

I also think it would be an easier task for developers. They can focus on making the standard console version be a solid and attractive 30fps so that it's still playable and viable and have the 60fps version for the power users who would purchase a new console. Even with a 4.2tf GPU, there's enough headroom to even improve visuals further at 60. I think it would be the best usage of the resources but it all depends on if the CPU is up to the task. I doubt native 4k would be viable even if it had a 6tflop GPU.

I think you'll be disappointed. The move towards 4K means that the current APUs will need even more disproportionate area given over to GPU cores, and CPU is likely to be second priority. Maybe for trinity :)

Also, even if they did put in enough CPU, I think a lot of devs would use it on more detailed worlds at 30fps.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think you'll be disappointed. The move towards 4K means that the current APUs will need even more disproportionate area given over to GPU cores, and CPU is likely to be second priority. Maybe for trinity :)

Also, even if they did put in enough CPU, I think a lot of devs would use it on more detailed worlds at 30fps.

I guess one could possibly hope that with extra GPU power in a CPU bound game, some extra CPU stuff could possibly be shunted off the CPU to GPU to relieve the CPU frame times. Of course this requires more dev intervention. But extra GPU power doesn't necessarily have to be useless wrt framerate in a CPU bound game if that can be done. First parties may be more inclined to investigate that approach, especially as GPGPU usage matures.

THE:MILKMAN

I guess one could possibly hope that with extra GPU power in a CPU bound game, some extra CPU stuff could possibly be shunted off the CPU to GPU to relieve the CPU frame times. Of course this requires more dev intervention. But extra GPU power doesn't necessarily have to be useless wrt framerate in a CPU bound game if that can be done. First parties may be more inclined to investigate that approach, especially as GPGPU usage matures.

I guess this is the case. Doesn't the PS4 currently have 4CUs upgraded for GPGPU? If they go down the same route for Neo then 8CUs for that?

Like I said before there could be custom stuff Sony has added we don't know about too.

vg260

This, as well. Neo games probably aren't likely to see 60fps, unless it's an upgraded older title. They're likely to see graphical upgrades to make screenshots that look better, ergo making games look better in marketing material

But isn't the reason for going 30 fps in the first place to max out the visual effects as much as possible?

I feel like they're already getting close to diminishing returns in that regard. The image quality of upcoming games looks pretty darn good because of that concession.

Ding ding ding

I bet the majority of developers don't use Neo's extra horsepower to enhance framerates to 60 fps. They'll make sure the game is locked at 30 and use the extra resources for visual enhancements.

60 fps is a visual enhancement, and a gameplay one as well.

The Neo seems to be targeted at enthusiasts, more specifically to keep Sony users from leaving later in the gen for PC. What would those users value more? Better shadows, lighting, or aliasing, etc. or frame rate? I don't know, but I'd guess more of the latter.

I would wager more users look at games like God of War, Horizon, and Spider-Man and think wow, imagine playing that great looking game at 60 fps, than wow, imagine playing that great looking game with even better lighting or shadows.

Memento

I think Neo will be able to run these games at 60fps

But devs would probably prefer to use the power for other stuff in the visual department. More effects, particles, better textures, resolution...

vpance

More detailed worlds is mostly a GPU, memory and bandwidth thing. Since the games still need to support OG consoles, I can see most devs leaving the CPU related tasks alone instead of scaling them up which would take more effort.

I think Sony knows this which is why they're deciding to go even more GPU slanted for Neo. They need to figure out if the cost of adding a CPU that would guarantee a bump to 60FPS for all games is worth it to the whichever market Neo is supposed to aimed at. I think it is, based on the expectations I've read on here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

That's not my expectation, just what I think would be the smartest way to go about the product for the market they're approaching with it.

Proelite

It doesn't take double CPU power to run games twice the framerate. Way less than that depending on the gamecode.

The 500mhz overclock on the Neo CPU should be plenty enough.

There was something seriously wrong with The Last of Us 30FPS mode. It was awful. And it wasn't just from switching back from 60FPS.

If every game was 60FPS on Neo though it would definitely be worth it,

I remember it opposite. I played it at 30fps because the 60 fps seemed wonky to me.

OT: The Neo will be just fine. I'm sure Sony will ensure 1st party IPs come out sparkling. It will be my Sony exclusive machine while everything else goes to Scorpio.

quest

Not Banned from OT
It doesn't take double CPU power to run games twice the framerate. Way less than that depending on the gamecode.

The 500mhz overclock on the Neo CPU should be plenty enough.

Not at all for games like fall out 4 that are CPU intensive. Even the AMD A10 can hardly reach 40FPS. I doubt a over clocked jaguar is even as powerful as the A10. Even an I3 can't even hold 60FPS and that kills the Jaguar. I don't see any reason to get the NEO if it has Jaguar/Puma. Going to be to many 30FPS games thanks to the crappy CPU. They should wait till 2017 and drop the Zen into it which is rumored to be I5 levels.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-huge-performance-difference

There's a middle ground, you know. With 4K TVs slowly becoming common in 2017, it would be a massive problem to keep games at 1080P - as a 4K display owner, I can tell you that 1080P upscaled to 4K kind of sucks.

1440P is definitely better and surely in the range of PS4 Neo's capabilities.

I think upscaled 1080p content looks just fine on my 4k screen. Sure, it's never going to look great compared directly to native 4k content on the same screen, but it's still good.
There's variable upscaling performance depending on the TV/manufacturer so your experience may be worse than mine, but I think Sony would be developing their own internal upscaling method for games rather than relying on the tv to do it. That would ensure consistent output quality regardless of the TV's upscaling abilities.

They could also employ an additional sharpening filter to upscaled 1080p content. They would just have to be very careful not to be overbearing with it as the XB1 was once upon a time. The recently popular Doom employs a sharpening filter that most people don't realize (though I turned mine down a pinch on pc).
With their own base system upscaler and a well implemented sharpening filter, 1080p games would look fantastic at 4k and devs wouldnt need to handle it case by case.

Woudn't it be grand if the PS4k had an internal upscaler with user selectable scaling methods? I know. Dreaming too big.

Jonboy

Could be, he say he want Neo release this year so that they can achieve 20m target.

Some points
- Neo is for 2 niche group, customer with 4K TV but without 4K content, customer who want better graphic.

- No smart phone cycle, want to maintain stable environment for developers.

- Not a new gen, just provide a premium option. Outside graphical performance no other advantages compare to PS4, experience will be same. (Might be talk about multiplayer level play field)

- Neo is NOT because of VR, VR experience will be the same 60fps, but watching VR video will be better.

- Neo does not add too much extra work for dev, development environment still same as PS4.

This probably warrants its own thread.

Listonosh

At first I thought something similar, especially once Scorpio was unveiled, but then I realized it's almost pointless to wish for that unless you specifically want 4k gaming, which I can't imagine a lot of console owners do.

If the Neo at the current specs can do full 1080p with 60fps for all of its releases, I'd be extremely happy.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
I think the specs look great and I don't want to wait any longer to finally get a PS4, besides its doubtful Sony has the cash to burn in order to make a system equivalent Scorpio at a price consumers can stomach.

To me Scorpio is a reaction from getting their asses handed to them the last 2 years, MS knows they should have some up with a superior system from day one(they had the money) and is now just tying to make up for it.

Neo has more than double GPU power, and CPU is nicely overclocked. Neo will play the games juuuust fine.

I think the point everyone is missing is that the vast majority of the time console CPUs are woefully underpowered, the 360 didn't even have out of order execution. Compared to what we've had, Jaguar is a step-up, so the overclocked Jaguars are a nice bump...and will likely help keep Neo in an advantageous price range.

Top Bottom