• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After the Nintendo Switch Launch I feel like I'm coming out of Denial

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still getting it, but the presentation definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. So many bad, anti-consumer decisions by Nintendo. Ugh.

Not

Banned
Yeah, this is it. This is the turnpoint in my philosophy. They had their chance.

I am now FIRMLY in the go 3rd party camp. If I'm not playing Zelda on my PS5 in 2023 then damn it allllllll

There is this strange idea that Nintendo is the pure virgin of virtue and everyone else is a money-grubby whore.
I've read probably three people saying something like that in years of forums/social media, yet I've read thousands of people reminding Nintendo fans this thing.

spekkeh

Banned
I was super hyped for

- The most powerful traditional handheld to date
- Catching up with Nintendo Amazing First Party
- Something for Travel
- Keep the Kids happy on trips in the car
- Home Console Games at Home & on the Move
All of this is still true. The only thing that changed is its a bit more expensive than you thought, and the third party support so far has probably been less than you hoped for. If these are dealbreakers, don't get it. The hate train has been ridiculous, you should snap out of that denial.

except for online subscription, Nintendo should retract that turd

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I dont get people who preorder before the presentation of a console
Btw I am not happy about switch positioning but the OP pre unveil bullet points are still valid

EDarkness

All the things you were hyped for are true! That's exactly why I'm getting it!.

Yep. This is true. OP, don't let this forum negativity drain you, man. You were hyped for something that is still what you want. Get it and enjoy it with your kids, I'm sure they'll be happy...and so will you.

HotHamBoy

My advice to any Nintendo fan who own a Wii U to just wait. You can play the major title for the console for a console you already own and I don't think the difference is worth the price. No reason to buy this day one. Remember the 3DS with the price-cut we maybe looking at similar situation here.

This is not the NES classic. Don't worry about not able to buy one and artificial scarcity and the "sold out everywhere" headlines.

Hell, even if you don't have a Wii U you might be better off buying one after the Switch launches. So many people trading theirs in, the price is going to drop out. The Wii U has a great library of games that it spent 4 years slowly building. Experience it all right now, for cheap, while you wait for the Switch to build a library of its own.

That goes double if you skipped the Wii, too.

Yep. This is true. OP, don't let this forum negativity drain you, man. You were hyped for something that is still what you want. Get it and enjoy it with your kids, I'm sure they'll be happy...and so will you.

Yeah, OP, just go spend the money as soon as possible so you can feel the full brunt of that buyer's remorse with each game that gets delayed!

Us Wii U owners know such horrors.

I agree with many of your thoughts, 32GB Storage and the inability of Nintendo to streamline its international releases astounds me being my personal gripes (present here with Zelda Special Edition Differences per region).

Ive long understood Nintendos desire to only showcase software releasing in the near term, but I now believe that this is certainly failing to convey competence in any ability to provide long term platform support to consumers.

Nintendo is releasing the Switch having announced just SEVEN Nintendo made retail games, the majority of which will be released by August.

March Zelda
March 1 2 Switch
April Mario Kart
May-June Arms
June - August Splatoon 2

Later in year Mario
Later in year Xenoblade 2

E3 and no doubt a few Digital Presentations before and after launch will flesh out the releases, but on a casual glance right now, the Switch looks to be on life support!

Bluth54

There's honestly no reason to buy one until Black Friday unless you desperately want to play Zelda on new hardware. If it's bombing hard by then, you can pick one up with Mario at probably a cheaper price that now.

What if you want all the cool free games they'll give you for the second Ambassador program?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Yeah, this is it. This is the turnpoint in my philosophy. They had their chance.

I am now FIRMLY in the go 3rd party camp. If I'm not playing Zelda on my PS5 in 2023 then damn it allllllll
I'd agree if Sony were making a PSP3. But sadly they aren't, so Nintendo are the last stand for handheld gaming. At this point I just have to hope Nintendo come to their senses quickly and turn this around somehow. But I'm not holding my breath.

Taker666

Yeah betting on more announcements for this year is not a good idea. Maybe they have more things up their sleeve for directs/E3 in the next couple months pre/post launch, but no one should be counting on that right now. If you're purchasing this thing, just expect what you've seen so far for the 2017 lineup to be the only things first party wise.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I can only recall NSMBU, Nintendoland, and Zombi U as the only things of note for quite some time on the system. Otherwise it was an even worse value proposition at the time, other than getting Nintendo stuff in HD for the first time.
Lego City Undercover came out a few months after launch..which remains to this day one my favourite Wii U games.

Still NSMBU,Nintendoland and Zombiu at launch is a more attractive line-up to me than the Switch launch. I mean there's Zelda which I can get on Wii U anyway...and that's it.

pswii60

I think Switch will be a big success in Japan and potentially become home to a lot of interesting Japanese exclusives, and being region free will mean these are easy imports.

That's particularly interesting to me, along with Nintendo first party. But the handheld side really isn't so much, otherwise I would have bought a Vita.

What surprises me the most is that this is supposed to be a full hybrid, so we should have seen the largest lineup ever - essentially the combined lineup for what would have been 4DS and Wii 3. I thought we'd have seen a new Layton and games like that too.

So I'm not cancelling my preorder just yet, and I'm really excited about Zelda regardless of everything else.

I had it preordered but realised I've got a game already coming out in early march and another in early April so don't need t jump in for the time being. A good price or bundle deal might entice me later on but no need to rush the purchase.

EDarkness

Yeah, OP, just go spend the money as soon as possible so you can feel the full brunt of that buyer's remorse with each game that gets delayed!

Us Wii U owners know such horrors.

What? There's no point in bullying the guy into not doing something he feels like he wants to do. What he was hyped about the NS is still true. He can do all of those things with it and that won't change. I purchased a Wii U at launch and have no regrets, but then I alway buy things that I know I'll want...whether now or in the future. I'm confident in what I like and so I don't need any validation.

If the OP is really not sure, then he can cancel and move on with his life, but the things he listed as being hyped about are true and there's no reason to not still be hyped.

Polarbear

Banned
I don't own a Wii U, have never owned one, and Zelda looks like a game I really want to play as soon as possible. I also think Mario Odyssey and MK8 look great.

The pricing is bonkers though. I dunno what to do.

Instro

Lego City Undercover came out a few months after launch..which remains to this day one my favourite Wii U games.

Still NSMBU,Nintendoland and Zombiu at launch is a more attractive line-up to me than the Switch launch. I mean there's Zelda which I can get on Wii U anyway...and that's it.

Undercover was a spring 2013 title though, it came around the same time as MH3U iirc. Opinions and all, but I definitely disagree on the appeal of the WiiU launch lineup, although it actually had some 3rd party support if you were looking for that.

KooopaKid

Banned
After having the time to digest the bad news yesterday, seeing the gameplay footage of Mario, I know I will own one before the end of the year. Guaranteed. Impossible for me to miss this and yes, it's worth 300€ for me. (Splatoon 2 and Arms look very good too).
That said, buying day 1 is really too risky this time, there's no guarantee Nintendo won't release a true handheld version and I will be fucked. I need to see support well into 2018 so I'll wait till E3 at the earliest. A price drop will probably come soon too IMO, this is a 3DS situation.

HotHamBoy

What? There's no point in bullying the guy into not doing something he feels like he wants to do. What he was hyped about the NS is still true. He can do all of those things with it and that won't change. I purchased a Wii U at launch and have no regrets, but then I alway buy things that I know I'll want...whether now or in the future. I'm confident in what I like and so I don't need any validation.

If the OP is really not sure, then he can cancel and move on with his life, but the things he listed as being hyped about are true and there's no reason to not still be hyped.

Who's bullying?

I'm just trying to be practical.

This forum has a cycle of hype-fueled enablement followed by deepest, darkest dispair.

FeD.nL

What I had really hoped was that Nintendo was going to make some progress in the online infrastructure. Like why doesn´t the subscription include access to the entire VC NES/SNES library. So that when I'm taking the switch to family/friends we can pick out a few games and play them together. Like the thing is tailor made for it and the file sizes allow for some quick downloads.

Instead we're getting an infrastructure that's seemingly worse then what we have on the WiiU. That apparently requires the user to have a smart device to properly function.

I don't own a Wii U, have never owned one, and Zelda looks like a game I really want to play as soon as possible. I also think Mario Odyssey and MK8 look great.

The pricing is bonkers though. I dunno what to do.

I'm in the exact predicament as yourself. Want to play zelda as it's a special series to me but haven't got a wii u but it's on an individual basis. I'm willing to wait until there's a second first party game I like. Think smart, if it's too expensive to cause problems, then give it a miss.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Don't cancel TC someone has to fund the Switch hardware revision. My hopes are on all the Nintendo hardcores coming through that will buy anything at premium.

Phoenixus

There's still too much we don't really know yet to make an informed decision. I'm keeping my preorder purely for Zelda and the amazing library that Switch will no doubt build up in time, but I can understand why people might not want to get on the boat yet.

oti

Banned
I think there are multiple factors here why people are so negative about this thing.

- Leakers lead them to believe other things.
I'm sorry, but that one is on you. If you believed random people on the Internet to the degree of adjusting your expectations I don't know what to tell you.

- Nintendo wants to make money with every purchase.
That's just what Nintendo does. Nintendo isn't Microsoft.

- The Joy-Con make EVERYTHING expensive.
Those controllers are marvellous achievements in both design and functionality. Their development must have been expeeeeeeensive. And yet you get two of them included. That means Nintendo is losing one somewhat sure controller sale. And they want to compensate that by making everything expensive. Even if I don't need a second dock, a dock being $90 makes everything seem bad.

- Nintendo dropped the ball with Wii U's gimmick.
The Joy-Con being so full of tech is not a bad thing, IF Nintendo will use those features. But we've heard that song before and what happened? A Star Fox game most people dislike and a Star Fox Tower Defense game. In short, consumers don't believe Nintendo when it says the gimmicks are worthwhile additions. They just drive up the costs with next to no benefits.

- Base price is too high.
Too high for a secondary console, even for us enthusiasts.

- Paid Online.
That's the cost of getting a 21st century online system, I guess. But we've known these paid services for a while now and we didn't accept PS+ in its original form until Sony packed in free games. Nintendo doesn't exist in a vacuum. If their paid service costs just as much as PS+ they have lost their minds.

weekev

Banned
The presentation made me want to wait till Christmas but then my father in law got a lump sum for medical retirement and he decided he wanted to treat us. Happy days!

shamo42

- 32GB Storage (I've been living in the all Digital World)
- Paid Online with the bolt on App (This amazes me)
- Launch Lineup / Release Pacing
- The Monthly NES/SNES Game Rental
- Battery Life
- Price of Accessories
- 1 2 Switch Existing & Its Price

You forgot:

- huge bezel
- long charging times (better tape that power bank to your Switch)
- the only 2 interesting games available on Wii U too
- non-removable battery
- ridiculous base price
- 900p @ 2017

Kurt

i think the price is fair.
(I mean if you compare it with other consoles companies...)

Yeah the gfx aren't that good as xbox one or ps4, but it's portable.
Nintendo did never delivered such good hardware as a portable device.
- The gfx are better then almost any mobile phone (which cost a lot more).
- It includes already the motion hardware which is an extra cost with ps4 & makes it possible to emulate wii games.
- New rumble tech & distance tech.
- Good huge screen.
- Tv output.
- 2 Joysticks included by the smart design
- and more...

So yeah i only agree that it would be too expensive if it wasn't portable.

The more important question is, why didn't they announce them?

People seem to forget the importance of the yesterday event. The Switch is coming out in 7 weeks, the event was supposed to be the last marketing push Nintendo could do to make people run out to buy the Switch. If they have many big titles in development, it was the best time to let public know. They event announced a game that just enter its development ffs. If they have a new Metroid, Pokémon, etc cooking. Why can't they let us know?

You are right but a big problem is the E3 so soon after launch. If they would announce everything now and they would show more of it at E3 everybody would say "meh, we knew about those games! Were are the new ones?" And IF they had shown a lot of games development, then they had to need announce games at er which are even further off. So the complain would be "meh, they announced only games we can play in 2 years+".
So there was no right way to do it right.

Nintendo knows that the hardcore gamers are the ones who buy that thing first and the casuals come later. So they can life with that small gap between launch and e3 and then start to get more people to play their system and make them buy it at the holidays this year.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I still preordered it on Amazon since there's no risk on doing that but there's basically zero chance I keep it.

The main thing that presentation did is make me want to create a shrine for the wii u breath of the wild since it's going to make this easy to skip.

EDarkness

Who's bullying?

I'm just trying to be practical.

This forum has a cycle of hype-fueled enablement followed by deepest, darkest dispair.

You're right, but in this case, what the OP wanted is there. For some reason when this forum goes into negative mode, it REALLY goes into negative mode. It's insane. The system looks cool, is priced around what we expected (only silly people were thinking $199 and convinced themselves that's what it was gonna be when we were sensibly thinking $249-$299), and has a great version of Zelda. It's also the most powerful handheld on the market.

There's nothing wrong with the system itself. I can see people being upset at the cost of all of the peripherals, but those things can be gotten at a later time.

People shouldn't let themselves get bitch slapped by the hype.

You forgot:

- huge bezel
- long charging times (better tape that power bank to your Switch)
- the only 2 interesting games available on Wii U too
- non-removable battery
- ridiculous base price
- 900p @ 2017

Is this for real? Ha, ha! Man, 900p? Damn, I guess those Xbox One guys really hate their console since so many games on that system are 900p.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
- Paid Online.
That's the cost of getting a 21st century online system, I guess. But we've known these paid services for a while now and we didn't accept PS+ in its original form until So y packed in free games. Nintendo doesn't exist in a vacuum. If their paid service costs just as much as PS+ they have lost their minds.

I feel like paid online is mostly a problem because Nintendo has been stuck in the year 2000 with anything regarding online(slight hyperbole) so there is no confidence.
Secondly what is known about the online service is not crystal clear in language but if we go with the interpretation where the language leans at it's already worse out of the gate(losing access to the free game after 1 month).

Honestly if Nintendo hits online out of the park I see people easily accepting it.
It's like Sony making the transition smooth with lots of good news and tons of PS+ good will(which currently is getting used up hard).

Thing is we have 0 reason to believe that a Nintendo that has shown again to be out of touch has what it takes to establish a solid and great online system.
You are right but a big problem is the E3 so soon after launch. If they would announce everything now and they would show more of it at E3 everybody would say "meh, we knew about those games! Were are the new ones?" And IF they had shown a lot of games development, then they had to need announce games at er which are even further off. So the complain would be "meh, they announced only games we can play in 2 years+".

Nintendo knows that the hardcore gamers are the ones who buy that thing first and the casuals come later. So they can life with that small gap between launch and e3 and then start to get more people to play their system and make them buy it at the holidays this year.

Disagree, they can just do what they did last year and dedicate it all to Mario Odyssey. So them saving themselves for E3 feels very atypical.

roytheone

It was a weird rollercoaster for me. I came into the presentation pretty hyped for the switch and pretty sure I would buy one. Then the presentation really bummed me out with the price, payed online and lack of games. Then I watched some Zelda gameplay and ended up still pre-ordering one since boy that game looks amazing (and I don't have a Wii U).

Kholdy

Neo Member
As a Nintendo admirer since I was a kid (but ended up only owning SEga and PS HW), I've been waiting for the Switch in hopes it would be my first Nintendo console, but all this baffling decisions are making this so wrong.

I really want Nintendo to succeed but boy, they're making things hard, just too many thorns in this rose to pick it up.

Judging from their E3 from last year, how much do you think Nintendo care about E3 right now? They have their own little show to show off their stuffs, why even bother bringing the games to E3 where they will be overshadowed by other massive games from PS4? I still think it was a better idea for them to unload most of their in-house games at yesterday event and skip E3 all together.

I'm with you, I was sure I'd be in for this and then I just felt...meh. I'm normally the kind of person who needs to be in on day 1 and my pragmatism has almost scared me. Maybe when the inevitable special editions come out I'll be there

EDarkness

I think there are multiple factors here why people are so negative about this thing.

- Leakers lead them to believe other things.
I'm sorry, but that one is on you. If you believed random people on the Internet to the degree of adjusting your expectations I don't know what to tell you.

I kinda agree with this. The leakers REALLY set the tone for this conference with all of the games speculation and leaks. People already knew what to expect and when everything was mostly what they expected, people were like, "meh". It was funny to watch. People want things leaked, but get upset when what was leaked is exactly what was there. Also, the speculation that the system was going to be "lower than we expect" just drove home the narrative that the system was going to be cheap and people ran with it.

I hope this teaches people to not set their expectations based on unverified information.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
The pre-orders sold out at all major online vendors (Gamestop, Target, Amazon, Best Buy, Wallmart, etc.) before I even woke up. Nintendo still has a lot of die-hard fans. But stuff like a 32gb cap just scares the hell out of me. I mean a lot of Xbone and PS4 games have *patches* that are bigger than that. And pay to play online is a whole other story. I'd love to be wrong but Switch sort of scares me right now.

wapplew

Judging from their E3 from last year, how much do you think Nintendo care about E3 right now? They have their own little show to show off their stuffs, why even bother bringing the games to E3 where they will be overshadowed by other massive games from PS4? I still think it was a better idea for them to unload most of their in-house games at yesterday event and skip E3 all together.

Did you missed last E3? It was E3 of Zelda and this year will be E3 of Mario and maybe Metroid.

As someone who's very much in the same boat as you OP. I'm treating this as sort of a market/gaming reality check for what the core gamer is today and what they want from their devices. I personally am having a hard time justifying the switch and their decisions around motion controls, and other what I see as gimmicky features especially in regards to the Joycon. They seem to be focused on recapturing that Wii audience. I wanted a powerful, effecient and value driven portable machine focused on core games that could be be played on the big screen as well. I'm kind of left feeling that it's a middling product in most regards.

deleted

Nintendo consoles always build up value for me through the coming years. I've never really been disappointed with a console launch from their side.
Sure, I don't like their information policy, I hate what they did to the VC after the Wii, there are varying points of disagreement with them... But in the end, I always had tremendous amounts of fun when I bought their console on launch.

Wii had Zelda and Wii Sports, Wii U had Nintendoland - local MP gaming bliss, N64 had Mario 64, GCN had Bloody Roar: Primal Fury
shut up, I liked it
and I was too young for the SNES on launch day.

Switch looks great to me with Puyo Tetris, SnipperClips, Bomberman and Zelda. If Tetris makes it to Europe on launch day, I'll get that, otherwise I'll buy SnipperClips for MP.
There are many, many, many other points I just can't comprehend when it comes to their presentation. There's just so much stuff that went sideways...

• The Prices
  • The OS
  • VC
  • Showing actual 3rd Party titles instead of hollow suits on stage
  • Having a launch line-up PR
  • Showing an Indie reel, If you have Indies, why not have a stage for them?
  • The Prices

I'm still somewhat okay, because I was suspecting 300 Euro and get 2 players out of the box, but their accessory prices are simply nuts. If I was unsure if want to play Zelda on the Wii U or the Switch I would definitely not buy a Switch now.
Wait for the first price cut.

Honestly I was in some sort of exciting too but disappointed by the high price tag and very expensive peripherals (basic controller as insane prices). However I never planned to get it at launch and planned to wait it out. I know Nintendo will get into panic mode and reduce the price 3-6 months later or have a game bundle.

I am done buying their stuff at launch but I will get a switch as handhelds are my thing and it shows promisse as a "hybrid" device. Region free is the best news that has come out of the reveal.

Huh. I never look at people's post histories because I'm not a weirdo.

Agendas, lol. What's your agenda? Damage control? Judge and jury?

I agree. I feel like if I'm looking at the post history of another user it makes me a weirdo.(a lot of them here, make no mistake)I just can't get so mind fucked about the opinions of others to the point where I'm like "15 seconds later, the post history explains everything. Annnnnnnnd we're done here" LMAO

Creepers

Camaway2

I can only concurr. Yesterday I canceled my preorder and reflected, a bit in shock, that this is the first Nintendo console I won't be getting at launch. I am in my forties with a kid and disposable income, I have thrown serious money to complete my Game&Watch collection, I am a huge Nintendo fan and I fly on business over 100 times per year, in short I am the perfect target for the Switch. Yes I am so dismayed at the launch offer that I cannot fathom any excitement at the idea of getting a new piece of hardware in March.
I am settled with Zelda on the WiiU and will likely get the Switch when Mario comes out, but no launch purchase for me, the first Ninty hardware launch I will be missing since the Virtual Boy.

EDarkness

As someone who's very much in the same boat as you OP. I'm treating this as sort of a market/gaming reality check for what the core gamer is today and what they want from their devices. I personally am having a hard time justifying the switch and their decisions around motion controls, and other what I see as gimmicky features especially in regards to the Joycon. They seem to be focused on recapturing that Wii audience. I wanted a powerful, effecient and value driven portable machine focused on core games that could be be played on the big screen as well. I'm kind of left feeling that it's a middling product in most regards.

Uh. It's all of those things. Unless something changed... There should be nothing wrong with them trying to provide some interesting software for those who aren't core gamers. The system is for everyone and core gamers will have Zelda...which isn't some cheap low end game.

sneas78

Banned
So after reading a few hours op.. I want something a little more portable. I will not cancel my preorder tho... instead I will keep it, play the games I want and later when switch lite comes out .. a little smaller hopefully .. no detached controllers .. I will trade it in for that. I think I'm ok with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom