• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After TLoU PT.2 Naughty Dog should tackle Blade Runner

Hissing Sid

Xcy6W9E.gif

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Blade Runner is strictly a film made to take advantage of the film medium, so I don't know why Naughty Dog would try to ape...oh wait, never mind. But I agree with everyone else. Naughty Dog aren't talented enough to make a Blade Runner game that would do justice to the original film. They would be fools for even attempting to do so.

A Naughty Dog Cyberpunk game would be interesting though.
"Naughty Dog aren't talented enough"

😂

You guys are letting this political stance that you have, ruin your judgment

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Yeah where is the Naughty Dog hate coming from? Who is Druckman and what did he do? It's almost like posting a THQ thread on Resetera. This forum is weird sometimes.
People are trying to create a narrative to bring down Naughty Dog because they hate the praise Naughty Dog gets

But TLOU Part 2 will still be nominated for GOTY and be amazing 💪

thelastword

Banned
Not at all. They just happen to share the same genre.
What genre is that exactly? Blade Runner is a movie, not a game and the last Blade runner game I'm familiar with was a point and click adventure made by Defunct Westwood Studios......So what genre is it exactly?

The closest thing you are getting to Blade Runner is CyberPunk, there are too many similarities there not to observe...Hell. I think CyberPunk was inspired by Blade Runner.....It's too "here's a pink elephant in the room" not to spot.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/cyberpunk-2077-ps4-xbox-pc-bladerunner/

mortal

Gold Member
What genre is that exactly?
Cyberpunk. The genre the original Blade Runner film helped establish.

Cyberpunk 2077, as you know is based off the board game Cyberpunk 2020. Which itself was inspired by a myriad of cyberpunk fiction with Blade Runner being one of them. Hence the name of the game.
CP2077 is not the closest thing we are getting to Blade Runner, because they are very different in tone and art direction. As far as thematically, the game is not out yet so that remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

Gaf being Gaf?
Naughty Dog went from being an outstanding studio to a Hollywood wanna be developer here.
Neil Druckmann involved in the most critical acclaimed games from ND has received a lot of hate just for the direction of the last off us pt 2. I'm waiting to play it for me to decide, but....Neil Druckmann has done an incredible job, and Naughty Dog is nothing but a superb Developer.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I'd rather them tackle Alien.

intro-1566837138.jpg

alien_5_sigourney_weaver.jpg

Oh fuck yes, they would murder this franchise in the best way possible.

SirTerry-T

If you mean Jak and Dexter era Naughty Dog, then fine.
They could do a little cutesy platformer based around the charming antics of Kaiser and Bear as they hop, skip and jump around J F Sebastian's apartment.
Anything other than that?
Bollocks to it.

MiguelItUp

I'm good, haha. I think CDPR is going to get closer to that than anyone else has. Plus ND only focuses on their on IPs and ideals. I don't think they'd work will with another property personally.

Ozrimandias

If by that you mean realistic graphics, animations, acting/scripting then sure :) but the gameplay and set pieces are my favorite parts of their games
Videogames gave the possibility to Actors not in the Hollywood AAA industry to play some of our favorites characters like Troy Baker in TLoU and the Joker in Arkham Origins or Nolan North as Drake or Penguin in Batman.....but some directors like Kojima insist in bring AAA actors like Norman Reedus to play Norman Reedus in Death Stranding....or Kiefer Sutherland to say a bunch of lines in MGSV, but "Hey" its Kiefer Sutherland!!

thelastword

Banned
OP, you want Naughty Dog, the best studio right now to leave TLOU be, one of the most acclaimed franchises, leave UC be another acclaimed franchise, both GOTY winners and chase a game out of an early 80's movie IP people are feeling nostalgic about?

Naughty is going to pass UC to San Diego, they already have. They will most probably be working on a new IP (Savage Starlight), and round out LOU 3 next gen....

justjohn

I would love them to tackle a futurist Cyberpunk style Sci-fi but with different influences such as blade runner. With the PS5 graphics and their talent, it’d be amazing.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
I think Rocksteady or Monolith/WB Games (Shadows of Mordor and War) would do an excellent job. Fact is, a proper Blade Runner game needs to be made. It's an incredible story which transcends time and one of the finest films of ever created.

INC

Cyberpunk. The genre the original Blade Runner film helped establish.

Cyberpunk 2077, as you know is based off the board game Cyberpunk 2020. Which itself was inspired by a myriad of cyberpunk fiction with Blade Runner being one of them. Hence the name of the game.
CP2077 is not the closest thing we are getting to Blade Runner, because they are very different in tone and art direction. As far as thematically, the game is not out yet so that remains to be seen.

Not really cyberpunk, more cybernoir tbh

mortal

Gold Member
Hmm true. I still see blade runner as a film noir, which is a genre.

The blade runner (ford) is a future gum shoe archetype
I agree, it's very much a noir film at its core.

You have to remember though that before Blade Runner, there really wasn't a de facto visual aesthetic for cyberpunk as we know it today.
Alongside other influential works such as Neuromancer, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and even Akira.
The aesthetic of cyberpunk began to flourish around that early 80's period, thanks in part to Blade Runner.

INC

I agree, it's very much a noir film at its core.

You have to remember though that before Blade Runner, there really wasn't a de facto visual aesthetic for cyberpunk as we know it today.
Alongside other influential works such as Neuromancer, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and even Akira.
The aesthetic of cyberpunk began to flourish around that early 80's period, thanks in part to Blade Runner.

I'd argue metropolis was the first cyberpunk style film

For me Akira is the stick all other cyberpunk media is measured against

Or others like AD police and cybercity oedo 808 also

Last edited:

Metropolis was definitely punk but it wasn't cyberpunk. Closer to like diesel or steam punk but we are splitting hairs.

mortal

Gold Member

Metropolis is kind of a stretch tbh. It certainly served as inspiration for some of the creative minds that went on to create the proto-cyberpunk works. Late 70's-early 80's is when the genre was established.
Anime like AD police & Odeo 808 built on foundations and visual motifs laid by Akira and Blade Runner.

mortal

Gold Member
Yes I have good sir, both the original and 2049.

In terms of world Cyberpunk 2077 is the closest thing you're gonna get to Blade Runner, well besides Blade Runner remaster of course :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You're making a very surface level comparison though, they're not really the same.
If a new Blade Runner film came out resembling or have the tone of CP2077, I can guarantee you most fans would not be pleased, myself included lol

Last edited:
I (unpopularly apparently) think this would work very well. Would also love to see the ND artists tackle that cyberpunk style. Would love to do some replicant testing interviews!

Yeah, that would be cool.

Honestly, I would be stoked for any sort of new Blade Runner game from anyone. A smaller studio, like the guys who did Vampyr, that could be good fit maybe?

Top Bottom