• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Bah, conan forums has me worried about actually being able to run the game. I didnt want to have to upgrade right now but I might have to.

I have:
AMD 3800+ 64
X800 GTO2
2 GB RAM

Which should be able to play the game on low or medium depending on what settings I have enabled. The guys on the forum are complaining that AOC has lots of issues with ATI cards and alot of people are having really low FPS even with good setups.

Any Gaffers here playing AOC with a similiar setup?

Surfheart

Ugh, I need a new PC. Tortage verges on a slideshow :(

It's weird too, If I zone I lose maybe 5 fps, which is alot when you are running at around 20 in the city. But then if I turn AA off and then back on the fps magically come back. Also some of the settings don't stick between zoning such as water reflection settings.

I can turn the game to minimum, 1024x768 no aa, every single slider to the left and everything set on low and only gain maybe 5 fps on average over what I get on high preset, 2xaa, 1680x1050 with shadows off. I guess that points to being cpu limited?

I've got a P4 3.5ghz, 2gb ram, x1950pro agp.

Been thinking of trying the new HD3850 agp, but I don't reckon it's worth it with my cpu.

Druz

you have to let the game load up first, then close the game and come back so it saves your shader settings or somethinggggggggg

Dorfdad

Gold Member
This is going to come across as bugging, but help a mac gamer out here guys!

Ive installed and almost finished patching the game on my Imac, can someone give me a buddy code out so I can see if this will work out for me decently before I go buy 1000.00 worth of components to play this game!

Thanks in advance.. I will repay you somehow..

Dorfdad said:

Ive installed and almost finished patching the game on my Imac, can someone give me a buddy code out so I can see if this will work out for me decently before I go buy 1000.00 worth of components to play this game!

Dont think anyone has a key to pass out yet till the actual launch. So no codes till tomorrow.

vesp

EA has been a pretty god damn amazing soft launch, and I was expecting a nightmare. Curious to see what tomorrow holds.

So glad to have a new FFA pvp game.

Tongue

I've got a couple of hours played so far in the EA.

This game is beautiful. The visuals at least in Tortage are outstanding for an mmo.

I've only got a level 13 Necromancer so far. The very first pets I got look brutal and awesome. I can't wait to see how crazy the rest of the undead pets look.

I am also really digging the skills system so far. Right now I've got 15 in hiding (so I can hit the restroom) 50 in climing (ran into a quest where I need 50 in order to climb to the top of a big rock) and everything else in Mana regen/Casting Concentration/Run speed.

The feat tree's seem cool. Very much like WoW except you've got a General tree which I assume all the Mage classes must have and then 2 specific to your class. So far I've invested in the Nightfall tree which appears to be casting damage. Necro's also have a reanimation tree which is more pet focused.

All in all I am really enjoying the game.

Justin

Tongue said:
This game is beautiful. The visuals at least in Tortage are outstanding for an mmo.

It only gets better once you leave the starter island.

Also, a few pages back there was a writeup complaining that the game was too linear. This is bullshit. Once you get off the starter island this game is probably more wide open that any other MMO other then Asheron's Call.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Mr. Bunnies said:
Is the UI customizable?

No, not like WoW's addons. You can only change the way your UI looks and move things around and I believe Funcom said no to addons such as threatmeter,damagemeter,proximo,etc

Tongue

I haven't found it all that linear even on the starting island.

The ability to switch between Day (Multiplayer) and Night (Singleplayer) has broken things up a lot for me. The option to switch between the two was a great idea.

Now if only they would finish their maintainence so I can get back in. I am already getting the itch, and I need to roll a Demonologist and a Bear Shaman as I think I finally came up with some suitable names.

dynemacron

Neo Member
Dorfdad said:

I feel the same way, and I am actually thinking about buying new components for this game... and I have not even played this game; perhaps it is because I am bored and I want some new games.

LowParry

Tongue said:

I've only got a level 13 Necromancer so far. The very first pets I got look brutal and awesome. I can't wait to see how crazy the rest of the undead pets look.

I am also really digging the skills system so far. Right now I've got 15 in hiding (so I can hit the restroom) 50 in climing (ran into a quest where I need 50 in order to climb to the top of a big rock) and everything else in Mana regen/Casting Concentration/Run speed.

The feat tree's seem cool. Very much like WoW except you've got a General tree which I assume all the Mage classes must have and then 2 specific to your class. So far I've invested in the Nightfall tree which appears to be casting damage. Necro's also have a reanimation tree which is more pet focused.

All in all I am really enjoying the game.

That's where I'm going to roll at is with the reanimation tree. Hopefully it makes up for a good damaging tree for pvp towards the end. If not, a switch to nightfall would be best.

derder

I'm looking to be a pure healer. Something on par with a Cleric in EQ and Priest in WoW. That leaves me with Tempest of Set and Priest of Mitra. Basically, I'm just double checking to see if the Priest of Mitra has the best healing.

Tongue

derder said:
I'm looking to be a pure healer. Something on par with a Cleric in EQ and Priest in WoW. That leaves me with Tempest of Set and Priest of Mitra. Basically, I'm just double checking to see if the Priest of Mitra has the best healing.

Priest of Mitra would be the closest thing to a Cleric.

The Tempest seems a little more damage/crowd control slanted.

Leatherface

is there a place to patch after I install the DVD's so I'm ready to game when the servers go live? I just don't want to be stuck with a 100000g download when I can be playing. :D

Dont know if its true, but the Conan forums are saying that the mammoth mounts are only available to the 1st 100,000 people. Make sure you /claim in the game once you register the retail copy in the Funcom registry

Tongue

Leatherface said:
is there a place to patch after I install the DVD's so I'm ready to game when the servers go live? I just don't want to be stuck with a 100000g download when I can be playing. :D

You should be able to patch the game in about 45 minutes. That is if the servers come back up on time.

Just launch the game once the servers are up and it should patch it to the latest.

Leatherface

Tongue said:
You should be able to patch the game in about 45 minutes. That is if the servers come back up on time.

Just launch the game once the servers are up and it should patch it to the latest.

Bah. Was hoping for an external link of sorts. I just know it's going to be a cluster fuck when this opens. heh. Hopefully you're right though. :)

Leatherface said:

You can patch once servers come back live I think. Around 10pm est.

Also, I just wanted to say the lack of being able to view someones armor(a la WoW) was a good idea by funcom. It was sorta annoying at first, but now that Ive played a bit more, I really like it. It removes the focus of trying to get a piece of armor and makes the toons unique. Same thing with the lack of WoW style armor stats. The focus on armor stats rather then the armors level is a great idea. I held on to a piece of level 1 green chest armor for 15 levels because of the stat bonus it gave. Really makes me think more about the best combo on stats and looks rather then trying to get the next highest piece.

Tongue

Masta_Killah said:
The focus on armor stats rather then the armors level is a great idea. I held on to a piece of level 1 green chest armor for 15 levels because of the stat bonus it gave.

I've got to agree with you here. The armor in this game is very different. It was somewhat difficult to adjust to at first but I am slowly coming around.

Another thing I have noticed in regards to armor/characters is that I have yet to see another character who looks even remotely like me. Either their armor or there body/facial build. Though this may be because I have been focusing on the armor bonuses and not looks so I think I have the most flamboyant looking Necromancer this side of Hyboria. =P

Also I saw a guy running around with a feathered skull mask that looked outstanding. The gear thus far is just great to look at.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Augh reading this thread has made me really want to try it out...

Anyone have a spare buddy code? I feel like an ass asking again, but I don't know anyone buying this game :(

JaY P.

Right now I'm running:

Core2Duo e6600 @2.4Ghz
BFG 8800gt 512mb @ 625Mhz
and 2GB DDR2 800 RAM

If there are any on the board with similar specs can you tell me how it runs? I was thinking about picking this title up for the summer.

Thanks

Xabora

SteveO409 said:
No, not like WoW's addons. You can only change the way your UI looks and move things around and I believe Funcom said no to addons such as threatmeter,damagemeter,proximo,etc
The threat Meter API has already been found. >_> <_<

Speaking of Damage Meters.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- $Change: 48416 $ (must be within the first 200 characters of the file) -->
<View clickthrough="false" h_alignment="LEFT" layout_borders="Rect(0,0,0,0)" view_layout="vertical">
  <View clickthrough="false" name="TopView" view_layout="horizontal">
    <Button label="&lt;localized token=DamageMeterGUI_MainWindow_Hide /&gt;" name="HideBtn"/>
    <Button label="&lt;localized token=DamageMeterGUI_MainWindow_Reset /&gt;" name="ResetBtn"/>
    <Button label="&lt;localized token=DamageMeterGUI_MainWindow_Options /&gt;" name="OptionBtn"/>
    <HLayoutSpacer/>
    <Button label="&lt;localized token=DamageMeterGUI_MainWindow_Close /&gt;" name="CloseBtn"/>
  </View>
  <MultiColListView clickthrough="true" max_size_extend="Point(COORD_MAX, COORD_MAX)" min_size_extend="Point(-1, 150)" name="MainView" view_flags="WID_IGNORE_WHEN_HIDDEN"/>
  <MultiColListView max_size_limit="Point(COORD_MAX, 100)" min_size_extend="Point(-1, 40)" name="SummaryView" view_flags="WID_IGNORE_WHEN_HIDDEN|MLF_HIDE_HEADERS"/>
</View>

Looks like its in just tonight.

golem said:
scanning local files..

wont go through authentication. :(

Oh and the very first AoC mod is up at Curse

76.jpg

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
Funcom has revealed a record breaking number of pre-orders for its upcoming MMO Age of Conan.

Pre-orders of the MMO's collector's edition have been strong enough to cause the title to completely sell out, despite a second print run to keep up with demand, selling in total around 111,000 units.

"If the information we have is correct, they represent the highest pre-order number for any global launch of an original PC game, ever, including the original World of Warcraft launch."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/funcom-reveals-record-age-of-conan-pre-orders

By Crom! The War begins!

The demand for this game almost seems too high. I mean, I haven't seen any advertising and the Conan franchise isn't exactly ingrained into popular culture. Maybe since WoW has created such a huge MMO following lots of people are looking for a change?

ArtG

iamblades said:
I hope this doesn't mean queue times for server slots tomorrow..

I just want to be able to find the damn game tomorrow. It doesn't seem like anyone has it yet...

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
iamblades said:
I hope this doesn't mean queue times for server slots tomorrow..

Read up on your lore while you wait!

* The Phoenix on the Sword
* The Scarlet Citadel
* The Tower of the Elephant
* Black Colossus
* The Slithering Shadow
* The Pool of the Black One
* Rogues in the House
* Gods of the North
* Shadows in the Moonlight
* Queen of the Black Coast
* The Devil in Iron
* The People of the Black Circle
* A Witch Shall Be Born
* Jewels of Gwahlur
* Beyond the Black River
* Shadows in Zamboula
* Red Nails

"Know, oh prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars — Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

Pure EPIC.

garath

ArtG said:
I just want to be able to find the damn game tomorrow. It doesn't seem like anyone has it yet...

My Best Buy had about 30 reg. edition copies and 4 collector's edition out today.

verio

TheHeretic said:
Maybe since WoW has created such a huge MMO following lots of people are looking for a change?

Bingo. There are many people eying, both, Age of Conan and Warhammer Online. WoW is the gateway MMO.

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/games/sfw18915.html

Sci Fi Score: A

If Robert E. Howard had been a game designer instead of a pulp writer, this is the Conan he would have invented

It has been said of World of Warcraft that it is a great game that happens to be multiplayer. The same can be said of AoC. Its first 20 levels combine an interesting combat system, voice-acted decision trees and branching quest lines to tell the story of the struggle of the people of Tortage against the tyrant who rules them. Both the overarching tale and the individual quests have a pulp, Howardian feel to them. It is possible to imagine Conan himself, at certain stages of his career, being engaged in just the sort of adventure that begins AoC.

For those with the hardware to run it, AoC is easily the best MMO to launch since World of Warcraft. It has all the features of a modern MMO, a setting that is fantasy but still feels fresh (owing at least partially to the lack of elves and orcs) and a terrific new player experience.

Hmmm...

Proc

I wish mmos would lower their monthly fee a bit. I'd subscribe to multiple mmos if they'd lower it to around $9.99

ok this is what i have been talking about.

whenever i change video quality from low/med/high it goes away, but shortly comes back later. No idea why its doing this, nor have I heard of it happening to anyone else. obviosly not my card overheating as it goes away as soon as i change video quality.

Weenerz

Banned
jeremy70583 said:

whenever i change video quality from low/med/high it goes away, but shortly comes back later. No idea why its doing this, nor have I heard of it happening to anyone else. obviosly not my card overheating as it goes away as soon as i change video quality.

Looks like your card might be overheating. I used to get that on my old vid card for CoD4 until I changed cards and now its golden.

jeremy70583 said:

Looks like a problem with your graphics card. Thats some serious artifacting, but you could always try using a different (perhaps older, more stable) driver set.

Top Bottom