• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

Bags

Neo Member
grate said:
Something must have gone wrong then, cause my client was patched yesterday as well and I haven't received any further updates between then and now. That's really weird.

Yeah I'm thinking something is wrong. I'm reading on the forums that some people are being prompted to dl a 17 GB patch. I cant decide if I should let this patch finish or just reinstall. I've already tried the verify/repair option on the settings, but it says there are 0 errors.

Danj

Bags said:
Yeah I'm thinking something is wrong. I'm reading on the forums that some people are being prompted to dl a 17 GB patch.

Wait, isn't that bigger than the entire client? My client download was 13.4GB...

Danj

CcrooK said:
Buddy passes are "disabled" till things smooth out. Which could be months I gather.

Wait, seriously? I thought they were going to become available once the game had officially launched or something?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Broadbandito said:
i had it preordered for 90 bucks. then i cancelled my order cause i am retarded

Shame on me for sleeping on this game for so long.

1) I had no idea what he game was like because i had almost completely ignored it until like 3 days ago

2) I didnt know that FunCom was making it

All i knew was that it was going to be an MMO that used DX10 rendering, and i was like "meh". here i am now, after watching vids and reading about it, wanting the collectors set and its price has doubled :(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Im not sure. I went to gamestop to see the price and it wasnt there. So i went to amazon and it had listed from 153-190.

grate

CcrooK said:
Buddy passes are "disabled" till things smooth out. Which could be months I gather.

SteveO409 said:
Here's what Funcome said about it this morning
---------------------
Quote:
The buddy keys that come with every edition of the game ( one with the normal version and five with the collectors edition ) will be provided through the accounting tool once the first wave of paying customers has settled on the servers.

So soon you will be able to take your friend with you and show them the beautiful lands of Hyboria!
---------------------
Maybe another day or so for buddy keys until paying customers settle in

I highly doubt it will be months.

Obviously they want people who have paid for the game to settle on the servers before people demoing the game get a chance.

Shouta

nataku said:
Oh.

Interesting.

"You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

From the AOC forums. I've been permabanned!

Didn't have a single post to my name or anything.

Poor Vep, screwed by FFXI first then AoC!. ;)

Anyway, I'm interested in this but I don't know if I should dive in =x

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
_tetsuo_ said:
Im not sure. I went to gamestop to see the price and it wasnt there. So i went to amazon and it had listed from 153-190.

It's because the only people on Amazon who have a copy now are REsellers. That's why there is a huge markup. When I preordered from Amazon 2-3 weeks ago, I only paid 78.99.

Furio53

I pre-ordered the CE back in April.... and it still hasn't shipped? Usually Amazon is on top of things... hope I didn't get fucked, or I'm gonna be pissed.

grate

Furio53 said:
I pre-ordered the CE back in April.... and it still hasn't shipped? Usually Amazon is on top of things... hope I didn't get fucked, or I'm gonna be pissed.

Amazon shipped my copy yesterday.

Make sure you purchased the copy directly from Amazon and not from a reseller on Amazon.

Does your account on Amazon say its shipping form Amazon, or have an estimated shipping date? That's pretty odd.

anachronous_one said:
Wow, I missed that news. Any explaination from the dev for why the price of the LE doubled?

The collector's editions currently available on Amazon are from resellers (using Amazon as a selling platform (similar to eBay (without the bids))) who have 'scalped' the normal collector's edition price ($89.99) and are reselling it at a higher rate.

It was originally available directly from Amazon for $78.99 as Takeda Kenshi pointed out.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
So after a couple more hours of playtime, I really have serious problems with the inventory and trading interfaces. They just plain suck. Blizzard was able to do much better interfaces with Diablo 2, whyc cant they just copy that? I hate it when a freaking chest armor takes the same slots as ring. Also, how come I cant make the chat channel of a solid color? While playing on the sand I just cant read what ppl are saying to me. The game certainly has its flaws.

Ferrio

Banned
Ya UI was one of my bigger gripes, but didn't touch on it since it's something that can be fixed unlike gameplay.

I hoping they clean it up soon, cause chatting can be a pain.

jestro said:
So is it out at BestBuy? If so I'm stopping by there on the way home ;o

Yep, got it there earlier. I suggest you price match with Circuit City though because they're selling it for $39. Also, I only got to create a character and claim my preorder stuff, but man, this client runs way better than the OB one. I'm at 1920x1200 at high settings with 2xAA and still getting fairly smooth framerates.

garath

godhandiscen said:
So after a couple more hours of playtime, I really have serious problems with the inventory and trading interfaces. They just plain suck. Blizzard was able to do much better interfaces with Diablo 2, whyc cant they just copy that? I hate it when a freaking chest armor takes the same slots as ring. Also, how come I cant make the chat channel of a solid color? While playing on the sand I just cant read what ppl are saying to me. The game certainly has its flaws.

UI flaws are the least of a MMO's concerns to be honest. I can't recall playing a MMO for more than a couple months where I didn't end up using a custom UI.

Now if you are talking about game design choices such as having generic 'armor' slots where you can use a ring or a chest piece. Well that would be a completely different animal. I haven't played it yet so I won't comment on that. I would expect all UI issues resolved fairly quickly though. Especially if there is a large userbase.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Furio53 said:

Bad news mate; Amazon is notoriously bad when it comes to shipping out preorders on time. It's happened to a lot of people, including me. Mine won't ship until the 27th. ;(

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Ferrio said:
Ya UI was one of my bigger gripes, but didn't touch on it since it's something that can be fixed unlike gameplay.

I hoping they clean it up soon, cause chatting can be a pain.

Umm isnt there voice chtting in this? It a MUST fo me going forward

TheHeretic said:
I didn't know the 8800 GTS came in 256, you sure its not 320? Regardless i'd make sure your video card is fucked before buying a new one, because you already have a pretty decent card.
yeah sorry it is 320mb....but what else could it be besides the video card? and it only happens for AoC.

$h@d0w

It's smart from a business sense to hold on the buddy passes - they are going to wait until the initial preorders have all been filled and the sales start to drop off before issuing any free access I think.

anachronous_one said:
Wow, I missed that news. Any explaination from the dev for why the price of the LE doubled?

People (mom+pop stores, ebay resellers, etc) are buying multiples at normal price then sitting on it till near launch for huge profits. Buying up limited editions of anticipated games is becoming a new trend in small scale futures trading (just like any console in the first few months after release).

If you think this is bad wait till the next wow expansion limited edition. If anyone wants one of those they better be online and clicking furiously the moment those go on sale.

Baker

Banned
Has anyone tried the game on a decent gaming laptop? If so, can it run at high settings?

I'm in a weird phase where I like to play MMOs on my laptop and watch baseball games in the living room, so I haven't turned my desktop pc on for a month.

garath

jeremy70583 said:
yeah sorry it is 320mb....but what else could it be besides the video card? and it only happens for AoC.

What brand? evga and BFG have lifetime warranties. Both of them have pretty exceptional customer service.

$h@d0w

wayward archer said:
People (mom+pop stores, ebay resellers, etc) are buying multiples at normal price then sitting on it till near launch for huge profits. Buying up limited editions of anticipated games is becoming a new trend in small scale futures trading (just like any console in the first few months after release).

If you think this is bad wait till the next wow expansion limited edition. If anyone wants one of those they better be online and clicking furiously the moment those go on sale.

Except the Burning Crusade Limited Edition isn't so limited. I got mine for $50 a few months back and there's quite a few on eBay which aren't fetching inflated prices.

Kintaco

Are the buddy passes available now? I would love to try this game out before buying, so pass one my way if you can. Thanks.

johnnyg87

Neo Member
just bought it from futureshop in ottawa... i did the store pickup online so im not sure how many are left but they have CE. Like earlier posts if people want a buddy key i can probably supply 2 or 3 when they are activated.. drop me a pm if interested. can't wait to start playing!!

nataku

Anyone else not able to access the AOC forums, even though you registered your retail key? It keeps telling me I don't have permission.

Danj

Kintaco said:
Are the buddy passes available now? I would love to try this game out before buying

Yeah I'm waiting for these to become available too, although I already have someone who'll give me one once it comes out. Finished patching the client, I had a 63MB patch followed by a 410MB patch, not too bad I guess.

garath said:
Absolutely.
nice, going to upgrade my card anyway tho...gonna get a new one in, put it in, return this one, and put it in my older machine. i want a good card but not the top of the line because that means paying more than its worth...so im guessing 8800GT G92?

grate

nataku said:
Anyone else not able to access the AOC forums, even though you registered your retail key? It keeps telling me I don't have permission.

No problems here.
You can try reaching account support at the following email:
account[at]ageofconan[dot]com
Where it is the official launch day, you can probably expect a delayed response.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
JonAmikar said:
I'm really tempted to run out to Best Buy and purchase this game RIGHT NOW. Should I do it GAF? Should I wait for reviews?

Go for it man, hurry up before you start scratching your wrist some more. All of my friends including I are having a blast with it :lol

ArtG

JonAmikar said:
Can't....resist...giving in...to hype.

I already broke down and bought it. I rushed to Target when I confirmed they had copies. It was on sale for $46! I'll take that. (Yeah, yeah, I know Circuit City has it for $40, but I don't have a Circuit City within 50-60 miles so screw you guys who have one nearby.)

Top Bottom