• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Conan (PC MMO) - Launch Thread

garath

Mr. Bunnies said:
No MMO is worth it at the start. It's a bunch of lemmings falling off a cliff while they pay to beta test.

Matter of opinion. Some people brave the new lands in hopes of finding the next "New World" while others are a little more conservative and wait until it's established before making the move.

For me, the first few months of an MMORPG are oftentimes the most fun and rewarding despite any technical flaws. It's an adventure. No guides, no "best way", no "best equipment", just you, your friends and what you can get out of the game on your own.

Loan

Neo Member
dammit dont scare me i pre order form amazon last week normal edition 2d shipping and it hasnt ship says item not yet shipped aww come on.

NVM on amazon says In stock on May 22, 2008. BAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how much gigs or MB you download after the retail install ?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
So far, the game is mediocre, it started out great, but it easily started to decrease in quality. The quest descriptions suck so far, are unimaginative, and for that, and they just kill X amount of enemies, bring X item. The shop in tortage I can access has crappy items, and my damage output goes so fat that I dont really see I am actually progressing in the game. I guess it gets better once you party with and form cities and such, and thats the only reason why I am playing, but so far, I am "enduring it" in hopes of better things to come.
Awesome graphics, but filled of tons of animation glitches on the enemies, they moonwalk sometimes, and I already got stuck in places by walking close to them.

I have great hopes for the game, but beware, the first 10 hours are just boredom, just like most MMO's out there.
Loan said:
dammit dont scare me i pre order form amazon last week normal edition 2d shipping and it hasnt ship says item not yet shipped aww come on.

NVM on amazon says In stock on May 22, 2008. BAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how much gigs or MB you download after the retail install ?
About 3-4 GB so far.

Concept17

godhandiscen said:
So far, the game is mediocre, it started out great, but it easily started to decrease in quality. The quest descriptions suck so far, are unimaginative, and for that, and they just kill X amount of enemies, bring X item. The shop in tortage I can access has crappy items, and my damage output goes so fat that I dont really see I am actually progressing in the game. I guess it gets better once you party with and form cities and such, and thats the only reason why I am playing, but so far, I am "enduring it" in hopes of better things to come.
Awesome graphics, but filled of tons of animation glitches on the enemies, they moonwalk sometimes, and I already got stuck in places by walking close to them.

I have great hopes for the game, but beware, the first 10 hours are just boredom, just like most MMO's out there.

About 3-4 GB so far.

The game takes off once you leave Tortage (starting area/singleplayer) and get into the meat of the game.

LowParry

godhandiscen said:

Once you get into lvl 20 and into a new city, it really starts to get fun. Like...really really fun. Well for me it has as a Necro. Been playing a barbarian now to get to lvl 20.

WOOT! Finally got out of Tortage. :D
Nira_picture004.png

Kintaco

Are the friends trials available yet? I'm hoping to leech one, but I'm getting a bit impatient and might run out and buy it.

nataku

What resolution/framerates/settings does everyone play at?

Right now I'm mixing it up between High/Med settings at 1680x1050, but I'm thinking of lowering the resolution more. My framerate is hovering between 20-35fps, depending on what's going on.

I also disabled bloom and put shadow quality to med. Those two things seem to have the biggest effect on framerate, and the quality loss really isn't too much with the shadows. The bloom effect looks really weird. The sky on the beach when you first start the game is nothing but a glowing white spot. It's too bad they didn't tone it down (a ton), because it would look so much better.

CoilShot

Vinci said:

[to self] do NOT go out and upgrade your computer do NOT go out and upgrade your computer do NOT go out and upgrade your computer ....

Don't feel bad I'm trying to hold out until least end of June myself

Ferrio

Banned
So people currently playing, any idea how common casters are? I'm torn between guardian and demon. Guardian cause I wanna tank, demonologist becuase I'm *NEVER* mages in MMOs. Also I like to try and be classes that are least played.l

Vinci

Danish
Ferrio said:
So people currently playing, any idea how common casters are? I'm torn between guardian and demon. Guardian cause I wanna tank, demonologist becuase I'm *NEVER* mages in MMOs. Also I like to try and be classes that are least played.l

I would think a Conan game would seriously lack healers. I'm not playing the game, but just by the sort of atmosphere and environment being focused on in the game it seems like a decent guess.

Unless the healers get to rip people's heads off too.

Vinci said:

[to self] do NOT go out and upgrade your computer do NOT go out and upgrade your computer do NOT go out and upgrade your computer ....

Running on x1950pro 512MB. AA off. f11 seems to give it aa and bloom lol.

Nira_picture005.png

Ferrio

Banned
Here's a question anyone know if there's a vsync option? In beta you could enable vsync via debug mode, but debug mode is gone.

Ferrio said:
Friend is rolling a healer, they look like they can be offensive. They also get spellweaving.

Im playing a ToS atm and they hit hard. I can have around 3, maybe 4 mobs on me and I can take them all down. Their main attack is an aoe electric attack that does crazy damage. Add that with some insta/low cooldown heals(its a bit weak though) and ToS can solo with the best of them.

Kintaco

I wouldn't mind the buy if I wasn't already spending $15/month on WoW and/or if I had RL friends playing AoC. I just don't want to spend $40 only to have to come back to WoW and my RL friends. I'm also tempted by the CE, I saw a few at Best Buy.

garath said:
Matter of opinion. Some people brave the new lands in hopes of finding the next "New World" while others are a little more conservative and wait until it's established before making the move.

For me, the first few months of an MMORPG are oftentimes the most fun and rewarding despite any technical flaws. It's an adventure. No guides, no "best way", no "best equipment", just you, your friends and what you can get out of the game on your own.

Yea I understand that.

I'm not sure what's up with the races. If I pick one, am I eternally hated by the others or something like that?

I never played WoW but was into LOTRO, so the race/faction divide thing doesn't really make sense to me (like, how it works, what are the limitations in dealing with other races, etc.)...

Revolutionary said:
I'm not sure what's up with the races. If I pick one, am I eternally hated by the others or something like that?

I never played WoW but was into LOTRO, so the race/faction divide thing doesn't really make sense to me (like, how it works, what are the limitations in dealing with other races, etc.)...

Theres a server called Culture PVP. In that server, its races vs race, though u can group w/ people from other races. All other pvp servers are FFA. No alliances and you can go to any city you please.

Also for everyone wondering about the Buddy Passes:

The buddy keys that come with every edition of the game ( one with the normal version and five with the collectors edition ) will be provided through the accounting tool once the first wave of paying customers has settled on the servers.

So soon you will be able to take your friend with you and show them the beautiful lands of Hyboria!

Proc

already posted this in may pick up, but what the hell:

2509835614_48367b3238.jpg

2509005989_a54c23c652.jpg

Just about finished patching. I have to say that I am very impressed with this CE. Far better than the lotro one.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Crazy

I went to gamestop to pick up a copy because i planned on trading in Army of Two and Call of Duty 4. I go in there to check the trade value and i get 30 for each one, which is kinda weird since my boy traded in CoD 4 last week and got like 14 for it. So ya i do it, tell them to give me Age of Conan. Lo and behold, the guy ask me if i want the collector's edition because the guy that was going to get it decided to just get the regular version. After i was grieving and kicking my self about not preordering it, here it is for the taking. To top it all off, i end up getting 60% extra trade in credit for some reason (i know 10% of it was my edge card). I ended up having enough extra credit to reserve Ninja Gaiden 2 :D

I was down and out because if i wanted the collectors edition, not only would i have to pay around 200 for it but i would have to wait for it to ship to me. Now im sitting here with a CE that i got on accident and didnt go out of pocket for at all:lol

I know there are game cards but when I saw my friend register, he had to put in his credit card number. I dont have a credit card and usually buy 2-month cards so is there anyway NOT to put in your credit card number at registrations?

LowParry

I've concluded on my two classes. Necromancer (because it's just DAMN cool to have a pet and get the fatality ice pet) and Barbarian (because duel wield is badass. And she's hot). This will do nicely for an MMO fix till Warhammer comes out. Mwahaha!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
_tetsuo_ said:
I was down and out because if i wanted the collectors edition, not only would i have to pay around 200 for it but i would have to wait for it to ship to me. Now im sitting here with a CE that i got on accident and didnt go out of pocket for at all:lol

Awesome! I had a similar thing happen just now when I opened my regular edition that I just got in the mail from GameStop, went to the account page, input my key, and it says "Thanks for purchasing the Collector's Edition of AoC!". I look at the back of the manual and sure enough, my regular edition had a CE manual/key in it.

Tongue

I seriously can't understand anyone complianing about the 1-20 portion of the game.

I have made it to level 18 so far and it has been a blast. The Nighttime missions have been awesome. I can't recall playing an mmo where in the first 20 levels I have run into so many cool cut scenes/voice acting and a generally decent storyline.

I am also digging on the Necro. He is a friggin AOE machine. I can splatter 5 or 6 level 16 mobs all over the place at once, and as a nice side bonus I end up with quite a few extra pets because of it.

My buddies wife who is a chronic healer in other mmo's has been digging on the Bear Shaman as well. Evidently they aren't relegated to healbot duties as they can actually lay the smack down quite impressively.

Overall excellent game so far, can't wait to get to stygia so I can buy some lotus and let the good times really roll >=P

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
DAMNIT...why couldn't I have had any fun at this game during Beta (since last fall)

I played a lot...liked a lot of things, but never had an amazing amount of fun.

TONS will love this game...I will look again in 6 months.

Keep posting stuff guys...lets me see things I missed ;P

note : I am on XP...maybe I would have liked it more in DX10?

Chrange

Banned
garath said:

You can't get that 'first time playing' experience in six months when server issues and first-round balancing is done?

iamblades

nataku said:
That is crazy.

Honestly, from my playtime so far, the servers have been perfect. I'm constantly amazed at how well they're running. Latency is good, servers aren't kicking me off, and I'm not hitting any queues yet. I expected things to be unplayable for today at least, but I'm glad I was wrong.

My latency is half what it is in WoW, and it's launch day.

Jackl

I promised myself I wouldn't fall for it. I would hold out. Then 4 of my friends got it and asked me to join them and I folded like a pussy : (

Lets hope that wasn't such a bad thing.

TheHeretic said:
Don't underestimate how exciting it is to be apart of the learning curve when an MMO starts.

Yeah, running a brand new dungeon when nobody in the party knows what's coming next is a blast.

Unfortunately that stops happening just about completely a few months after the game launches.

Top Bottom