• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Empires 4 announced, made by Relic (Dawn of War/Homeworld/Company of Heroes)

IpKaiFung

If I dont enjoy playing the game why would watching other people change my opinion? I spent many hours watching vindicare stream as well and he didnt seem to have much fun playing either but I've known him for some time and he can be a bit masochistic.

zoukka

If I dont enjoy playing the game why would watching other people change my opinion? I spent many hours watching vindicare stream as well and he didnt seem to have much fun playing either but I've known him for some time and he can be a bit masochistic.

He never has fun playing DoW2 and he has 10k hours put into that game xD

Please let it be a traditional base-building RTS, with worker units, resource gathering, tech trees, etc. I'm not concerned at all about Relic being "innovative." Screw innovation. How many traditional RTSes have we gotten this decade? Like, three? Just give us another really good one of those.

And for God's sake put it on Steam. Even I don't have quite enough self-loathing to venture onto the Windows 10 Store.

IpKaiFung

Why not post a pic of current CoH 2 numbers? It's still going strong despite the recent stoppage of significant patch support that's persisted over four years, both games share at least 109 staff. That's a poor simplification of what went wrong with DoW3, especially since it's definitely not the singleplayer nor multiplayer game fans wanted.

The reason why I didn't post the CoH2 numbers despite being a lot better than DoW3 is that CoH2 had quite a rough start and to their credit they turned it around after a lot of content updates and patching.

However new publisher and fresh start with DoW3 I was hoping they would knock it out of the park with DoW3, unfortunately they didn't and this has caused me to lose a lot of faith in them that I previously once held.

Joezie

I wonder why MS didnt hired Creative Assembly for this game?

CA is currently dealing with:

TW:WH 2 polishing
Finishing the Mega campaign post launch DLC to unify TWH 1 and 2(excluding other potential DLC).
Halo wars 2 Awakening the Nightmare campaign expansion
Planning for the eventual third game in the Warhammer trilogy
and a new Historical Total war game.

Needless to say, they are currently very busy.

Well, DoW3's game director has left Relic.

Might be a good opportunity for them to overhaul the game, although I'm not sure if they're going to want to keep dumping resources on it, especially with AoE4 on their hands.

Bl@de

CA is currently dealing with:

TW:WH 2 polishing
Finishing the Mega campaign post launch DLC to unify TWH 1 and 2(excluding other potential DLC).
Halo wars 2 Awakening the Nightmare campaign expansion
Planning for the eventual third game in the Warhammer trilogy
and a new Historical Total war game.

Needless to say, they are currently very busy.

I think a third title was already confirmed (they planned 3 games in the Warhammer universe). Unless the sales of TWW2 will disappoint (Spoiler: They won't).

I agree, the best for the frannchise is the game to be set in Medieval age and have Age 2 gameplay.
Also I would like to see how that playable demo looks.

I can’t believe they won’t port this to the Xbox One X. Red Alert 3 was on the X360 and it played damn amazing so there is no reason why this cant be playable on One X.

Now that MS switched to supporting KB/Mouse on Xbox, that option is available for those that want it. I want to play AoE on my 82 inch hdtv

Last edited:
I can’t believe they won’t port this to the Xbox One X. Red Alert 3 was on the X360 and it played damn amazing so there is no reason why this cant be playable on One X.

Now that MS switched to supporting KB/Mouse on Xbox, that option is available for those that want it. I want to play AoE on my 82 inch hdtv

Please I don't want this dumbed down for the Xbox dudebro audience thanks. What's the point of trying to sell this game to people who primarily buy COD, FIFA and GTA every year. There is zero audience for it there.

DbaziNews

Neo Member
Quinn Duffy Game designer at Relic Entertainment. Creative Director on Age of Empires IV this is good for me:)

could have translated it for us, but I will save people the trouble

According to the resource glassdoor, specializing in insider information, the Canadian developer of Relic Entertainment has faced serious problems and the existence of the company is in question. If you believe an anonymous source from the development staff, Relic Entertainment is experiencing serious problems with its management, which can not cope with the work on the market of RTS and its community.

Inexperienced management of the studio led to huge losses and can generally lead to the closure of the developer. Indirectly, this confirms the work with new titles Dawn of War III and Age of Empires 4. The microclimate inside Relic Entertainment is at a low level. Ordinary developers, seeing that any of their initiatives are cutting at the root, are on the verge of a strike. The company's toxic atmosphere led to a serious staff turnover, which is why the fate of Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War and Company of Heroes is in question.

CEO Justin Daudswell in a conversation with reporters confirmed the difficult situation that Relic Entertainment is experiencing now.

I live in Vancouver and would pass by the building where Relic was located daily, since I've moved back to Van from out of province, it doesn't look like the sign is there anymore or I'd be tempted to go ask what the hell is happening...

frogger

Age of Empire never received console release. I wonder if they will also release it on Xbox One.

Last edited:

boekeboekeboeh

Neo Member
Age of Empire never received console release. I wonder if they will also release it on Xbox One.

51Q1C83SSBL.jpg

this exists..:p but it was horrible to play on console

Bolivar687

Banned
Do not buy this game.

While I personally loved DoW3 multiplayer, the campaign was inexplicably subpar. They fact that they failed to course correct at all after the community backlash shows Relic does not have the resources or the passion to support a AAA RTS. I will never trust any of their releases going forward.

Nikodemos

I suspect it was a mixture of trying to nickel-and-dime the audience by selling stuff in installments sort of how Total War does it, and putting different and conflicting mechanics in the game. Except Total War does it well due to the base experience being good enough to work on its own. By all reports DoW3 is extremely barebones.
Also, micro-heavy tactics in a game without hard unit limits is a terrible idea.

james1984

Neo Member
[QUOTE = "KyoShiRo330, post: 253258226, membro: 739525"] Spero davvero, ma forse è troppo presto [/ QUOTE]

AOE4 was announced 9 months ago (works started before Dow3's release). Few screenhots or videos would be really appreciate

Top Bottom