• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Wonders: Planetfall E3 2019 trailer

Mista

Banned

Age of Wonders: Planetfall, the long-running 4X series, has made an appearance at this year’s PC Gaming Show at E3, with an August 6th release date in tow. The title is the new strategy game from Triumph Studios where you build your empire with one of six unique factions, ranging from the militant Vanguard to the dinosaur-riding Amazons and the cyborg-zombies of the Assembly. The game is being published by Paradox Interactive.

Players will be able to explore the alien world and uncover ancient facilities with strange mutants and monsters inside. Also, the different factions available for play in Age of Wonders: Planetfall will unlock different technologies and units at your disposal. Get yourself ready to fight, build, negotiate and technologically advance your way to utopia in a deep single-player campaign, on random skirmish maps, and against friends in multiplayer.

Age of Wonders: Planetfall is set to launch on Steam, PS4, and Xbox One on August 6th.

Last edited:

vpance

Didn't know it would be out on consoles too, nice.

Interested in this one. Haven't played an AoW since SM.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
This is out tomorrow. Really interested in the console interface.

anybody picking it up?

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This is out tomorrow. Really interested in the console interface.

anybody picking it up?
I have yet to play a strategy game that has tolerable controls on console. I don't expect this to change that.

Isa

I've pre-ordered it. I'm hoping it turns out well. These types of games, that is, 4x strategy and anything that bears semblance to Heroes of Might and Magic are fairly rare on console so I'm immediately drawn to it. I've enjoyed what I have played of the previous titles on pc but I main consoles.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I overwhelmingly prefer a sci-fi setting... haven't really paid attention to the gameplay changes. I do have it preordered though - loved AoW 3 so much.

ymoc

Are you talking about the shift to sci-fi setting?
Partly too yes. But also with the transition to the new 3d engine I feel the game lost some of its charm. I don't know, it seems to me that they couldn't replicate the quality of the 2d models in 3d.

For example:
I can tell you in an instant what each unit here is.
You've got knights, beatles, , monks, etc. The 2d art is wonderful and distinct.
Age-of-Wonder-II-The-Wizards-Throne-0.jpg

Compared to AoW3

70d57672c8109f28df0ab068977c9147bf4c9f6a9c9bbf6cf40e2a6669194356_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

aow3-featured.jpg

Yes its shiny, yes its more modern, yes the animations are smoother. But I can barely tell you what's what in these blurs of units.
I finished the entire game with all the addons and I still have problems identifying things quickly.

Compare this:
rAoW3_ArchonUnits.jpg

00001826.jpg

(there's no close-up shots of units in older games)

I can see where they were going with the 3d models (uniform apperance of the town), but it completely messes up how visually distinct separate units actually appear in gameplay.
Up there in the 2d image, the top tier red dragon unit has a stark contrast to the lesser units. But even the low tier units have distinct looks. That's not the case in AoW3 many times (not always).
Another issue I had was how each race had basically the same set of units: swordsmen, pikemen, monks, scoundrels. All same. Just different skin. The number of unique units was so extremely decreased that I really didn't even feel much difference between playing a necromancer or an elf.

I'll be wait and see with the new sci-fi entry.

Sorry for my rant. I'm a long time fan of the series.

DiscoJer

It got a really good review at Explorminate

Age of Wonders: Planetfall Review – eXplorminate

Well, I’ll just cut to the chase: Planetfall is a damn-fine game that easily surpasses every previous Age of Wonders game from my perspective. Marrying AoW3’s combat system with fantastic world building, on par with Amplitude Studios’ Endless series or even the beloved Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri, Planetfall feels like the 4X game that I’ve always wanted. The developers have done an exceptional job of giving the player more agency by incorporating deeper city management, an interesting sector expansion mechanic, and more detailed diplomacy. All of those elements combine to create one of the most engaging and entertaining 4X experiences I’ve ever had.

Which is all the more impressive since they are one of those jaded sites that don't like much of anything anymore.

vpance

Got it on PC instead of PS4. Game only renders at 1440p on Pro and that's too blurry for me.

I like what I've played so far. Kinda agree with ymoc on the 3d models though. The game looks really busy sometimes with the garish looking units. The map is cool though.

Last edited:

Karak

Got it on PC instead of PS4. Game only renders at 1440p on Pro and that's too blurry for me.

I like what I've played so far. Kinda agree with ymoc on the 3d models though. The game looks really busy sometimes with the garish looking units. The map is cool though.
Ya the game is a bit hit and miss visually.

vpance

Battle AI seems pretty good. But auto-resolve is iffy, depending on if you care about losing 1 or 2 units randomly.

Siri

Banned
This game Is now on Game Pass PC. It has controller support too, with the correct button prompts. Actually looks pretty good on the LG C9. I‘m going to spend some time on this today.

Top Bottom