• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of SHIELD S04E15 is among the MCU's very best

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to carry on watching AoS. I got to the episode in S3 where Mack and his brother were trying to get out of their house, but stopped watching it after that. I did see a S4 episode last week with Patton Oswalt in, which was enjoyable, but I had no clue what was happening.

I think my main problem is that I'm probably one of like 3 people who really enjoyed the first half of season 1. The second half was better of course, but I enjoyed that season as a whole way more than 2 and the first half of 3.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
The fucking GOAT "comic book" show. S4 has been insane and I hope they get 12 more episodes for a 100 episode run.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I need to carry on watching AoS. I got to the episode in S3 where Mack and his brother were trying to get out of their house, but stopped watching it after that. I did see a S4 episode last week with Patton Oswalt in, which was enjoyable, but I had no clue what was happening.

I think my main problem is that I'm probably one of like 3 people who really enjoyed the first half of season 1. The second half was better of course, but I enjoyed that season as a whole way more than 2 and the first half of 3.
That first half is more maligned than it should be imo. It was kind of corny and the show was still trying to find its feet while stalling for time until Winter Soldier, but the character interactions were all pretty fun and it's part of what makes what comes after so good – SHIELD being fully operational and the characters all being friends and chilling is a necessary build up for all the shit they have to face later.

Spuck-uk

Banned
That first half is more maligned than it should be imo. It was kind of corny and the show was still trying to find its feet while stalling for time until Winter Soldier, but the character interactions were all pretty fun and it's part of what makes what comes after so good – SHIELD being fully operational and the characters all being friends and chilling is a necessary build up for all the shit they have to face later.

The first 14 or so episodes of AoS series 1 are almost as bad as Iron Fist.

Series is amazing now though, despite losing
Bobbi <3
last season. Fitz and Jemma are both incredible now after me actively hating how shitty and twee they were in series 1.

And before anyone asks: if you decide to jump in and marathon the series, don't skip episodes. Slow/mediocre starts are a lot more tolerable when binging and it's really only the first half of the first season.

(The second half is better and becomes very good near the end. Season 2 is fantastic from start to finish. Season 3 is split into a great first half and inconsistent second half. Season 4 has topped season 2 and is probably some of the best stuff in the entire MCU.)

If someone gives you some weird ass list of the first season which is missing like 4 episodes, ignore them. That's dumb. You'll be fine, I promise.
Everyone who is interested in watching needs to listen to this, watch the whole thing and you will get some of the greatest character progression in any TV show.

Pachimari

I agree that the Ghost Rider arc especially, and the LMD one were fantastic arcs in the MCU, but I feel like the whole Framework arc has dampened the whole thing and they haven taken creative advantage of the whole setup. Quite disappointing end to the season. Hopefully it picks up soon again.

I agree that the Ghost Rider arc especially, and the LMD one were fantastic arcs in the MCU, but I feel like the whole Framework arc has dampened the whole thing and they haven taken creative advantage of the whole setup. Quite disappointing end to the season. Hopefully it picks up soon again.

Spoilers for this week and next week preview

The Darkhold plot, the LMD plot, and the framework plot are all tying together next week with Aida using Framework Fitz to complete the Darkhold matter machine to fashion herself a real body.

mrjohill

SPOILERS. DON'T CLICK IF YOU'RE GOING TO WATCH.

The look on Iain's face when
LMD Fitz switches from pleading with Simmons to having no emotion
is so frightening.

It is so well performed. After that episode I just sat there for awhile. It's a masterpiece

Moaradin

I really need to get back in. I watched like 6 or 7 episodes of S4 and then completely fell behind despite loving all the Ghost Rider stuff. Should be fun to binge the entire season at least.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It is so well performed. After that episode I just sat there for awhile. It's a masterpiece

same. the sudden change
and the knife flip into stabbing her leg
was a terrific moment

I really need to get back in. I watched like 6 or 7 episodes of S4 and then completely fell behind despite loving all the Ghost Rider stuff. Should be fun to binge the entire season at least.

catch up NOW

arc 2 is even better than GR, and ends in such a great satisfying manner

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I feel for them on Season 1 also, because they were trying to balance the show with what was going on in the movies and they held stuff back on purpose so that they wouldn't jump ahead of the movies.

That really made things start SOOOO SLOOOOW!

Yeah this episode was amazing. I forced a friend to watch it with me my second time just to show him how surprisingly good it is

Pachimari

Spoilers for this week and next week preview

The Darkhold plot, the LMD plot, and the framework plot are all tying together next week with Aida using Framework Fitz to complete the Darkhold matter machine to fashion herself a real body.

Yeah, but I still don't feel like it's that interesting. I wonder if she succeeds with this, what will be brought over to the real world.

tolkir

After double episode of Jerome in Gotham three months ago, episodes between 13-17 have been best episodes of a comic book show this year for me.

Always I have watched AOS to complete MCU, even those high ranked episodes of final S1 and beginning S2 didn't like me too much, but for the first time they have embraced comic book show-theme like Gotham and are nailing this last part. It's like to watch a crossover between Fringe and Marvel.

Btw, Ghost Rider saga didn't like either.

SeanC

The writing has been top tier all season, also a shoutout to really solid action directing. I started to notice more time put into fight choreography, stunt work and long-takes last season and they seem to just refined it more this season.

jon bones

The writing has been top tier all season, also a shoutout to really solid action directing. I started to notice more time put into fight choreography, stunt work and long-takes last season and they seem to just refined it more this season.

yooo anyone got a HQ gif of Daisy tactical rolling and murdering people like John wick?

ZeoVGM

Banned
There are episodes that can be skipped. From season 1 and 2. You shouldn't skip episodes after that.

Season 2 is fully serialized. You should not be skipping any of those episodes.

Seriously, if you're diving in to marathon a show, you shouldn't be randomly skipping 4 episodes. It's silly.

Even the ghost episode in the first half of season 1 lays the groundwork for stuff that happens with May throughout the series.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Can I start with season 4? I'm asking because that's the only way.

You can. I just don't suggest it. Like I said, season 2 and most of the first half of season 3 are awesome, with the second half of season 1 also being very good.

My suggestion would just be to do the whole thing if you're interested. Season 4 is great on its own but the final arc is much more impact if you've watched the entire series.

You can. I just don't suggest it. Like I said, season 2 and most of the first half of season 3 are awesome, with the second half of season 1 also being very good.

My suggestion would just be to do the whole thing if you're interested. Season 4 is great on its own but the final arc is much more impact if you've watched the entire series.

I don't think I can add another 100 episode show to the backlog. It's already getting out of control. But all this talk about the 'best of MCU' has me super intrigued.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't think I can add another 100 episode show to the backlog. It's already getting out of control. But all this talk about the 'best of MCU' talk has me super intrigued.

I hear ya man. Just want to make sure I give y'all the proper suggestion. :)

S4 is great on its own but it's just more satisfying and rewarding if you know the characters from previous seasons. Some plot points reference stuff from seasons 1 and 2.

I hear ya man. Just want to make sure I give y'all the proper suggestion. :)

S4 is great on its own but it's just more satisfying and rewarding if you know the characters from previous seasons. Some plot points reference stuff from seasons 1 and 2.

If it can stand on it's own, I'll probably go that route, and hit up a wiki if something feels incomplete.

(which hopefully happens before season 5 begins, an uncertainty considering my pace these days)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Agreed, this season in general is fantastic.

The Netflix shows are good adaptions of comic stories, but this season is the perfect realization of what a comic book show should be.

It sucks having friends and reading posts online about this love for the CW garbage, but they won't give AOS a chance because reasons.

It's arguably one of the best shows between Marvel and DC, and deserves more recognition.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
For those who left the show in the first season, this is a graph of ratings the individual episodes have gotten.

fii9nAG.png

Too bad the TV ratings haven't been going in that same direction.

jon bones

I don't think I can add another 100 episode show to the backlog. It's already getting out of control. But all this talk about the 'best of MCU' has me super intrigued.

If it can stand on it's own, I'll probably go that route, and hit up a wiki if something feels incomplete.

(which hopefully happens before season 5 begins, an uncertainty considering my pace these days)

just watch Season 4.

maybe read a quick wiki of s 1-3 just to familiarize yourself with the characters and set up real quick

Coulson, Skye/Daisy, Grant Ward, Fitz, Simmons, Mack - those are the only characters to remember when reading.

Everyone who is interested in watching needs to listen to this, watch the whole thing and you will get some of the greatest character progression in any TV show.
The character progression in this show is stellar. Fucking Fitz and Simmons alone are incredible, now throw in the consistency of Coulson and May along with the maturity of Daisy's character.. d a m n.

just watch Season 4.

WAIT

official recaps:

Season 1 (1 minute 30 seconds) - The Winter Soldier is the important movie here

Season 2 (4 min) - Coulson's fate in The Avengers (takes place 2 years prior to Agents of SHIELD Season 1) is the important thing here. Also, Ronin the villain from GotG was part of the Kree race.

Alright, fine, it's officially backlogged.

I don't like being that guy, but if that's the case, then don't watch the show. I will forever not understand those who choose to watch a show, but with skipping episodes. It just makes no sense at all.

If you like a show, why wouldn't you want to watch it all, even the (relatively) bad? For all you know, there will be callbacks to those bad episodes, or the character development will mean so much more if you saw how much the person had to suffer/endure, and without seeing it, the impact is felt so much less. Hell, the reason people here are saying S4 is the best is because there has been so much payoff for watching this show for the past 4 years. Without that context, without seeing how much the show improves from season to season, will you even agree with those that say it's the best? How can you if you haven't seen it? I was damn near losing my mind at the prospect of a certain plot point after yesterday's episode, but it's because I fully grasp what's at stake, since I've been watching since the beginning. I wouldn't have had the same reaction if I just started watching from season 4.

No show if perfect. Every show has its off episodes, or those that aren't at its top quality. choose to take the good with the bad, because I want to know the full story. Why would you want to skip a few random chapters in a novel or skip a few random scenes in a film? Same deal here. You won't get the full picture. I understand that time is limited, but if you don't want to dedicate the time to watch another show, then why even watch just one single season of this random show? Save if for some rainy day when you have the time to devote to it. It'll be a much better experience, trust me.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The character progression in this show is stellar. Fucking Fitz and Simmons alone are incredible, now throw in the consistency of Coulson and May along with the maturity of Daisy's character.. d a m n.

It's up there with Angel for me in terms of "best character progression in a TV show."

Dalek

It's up there with Angel for me in terms of "best character progression in a TV show."

I agree.

I'm also of the opinion that this season wouldn't be as good if you haven't watched the previous ones because of your attachment to the characters. Seeing what they've been through and endured-it makes what's happening to them even more nerve wracking and compelling.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I agree.

I'm also of the opinion that this season wouldn't be as good if you haven't watched the previous ones because of your attachment to the characters. Seeing what they've been through and endured-it makes what's happening to them even more nerve wracking and compelling.

What's so crazy is that I've never felt as tense and worried for the characters than I have during this arc. Since the big worry was that it wouldn't feel important due to not being "real," that's a huge damn accomplishment.

I don't like being that guy, but if that's the case, then don't watch the show. I will forever not understand those who choose to watch a show, but with skipping episodes. It just makes no sense at all.

If you like a show, why wouldn't you want to watch it all, even the (relatively) bad? For all you know, there will be callbacks to those bad episodes, or the character development will mean so much more if you saw how much the person had to suffer/endure, and without seeing it, the impact is felt so much less. Hell, the reason people here are saying S4 is the best is because there has been so much payoff for watching this show for the past 4 years. Without that context, without seeing how much the show improves from season to season, will you even agree with those that say it's the best? How can you if you haven't seen it? I was damn near losing my mind at the prospect of a certain plot point after yesterday's episode, but it's because I fully grasp what's at stake, since I've been watching since the beginning. I wouldn't have had the same reaction if I just started watching from season 4.

No show if perfect. Every show has its off episodes, or those that aren't at its top quality. choose to take the good with the bad, because I want to know the full story. Why would you want to skip a few random chapters in a novel or skip a few random scenes in a film? Same deal here. You won't get the full picture. I understand that time is limited, but if you don't want to dedicate the time to watch another show, then why even watch just one single season of this random show? Save if for some rainy day when you have the time to devote to it. It'll be a much better experience, trust me.

I hear you, this would be a first for me but my rainy days are fully stocked up, and time (and apparently my attention span) is more limited than ever. I could definitely change my mind when I decide to get around to it.

Dalek

What's so crazy is that I've never felt as tense and worried for the characters than I have during this arc. Since the big worry was that it wouldn't feel important due to not being "real," that's a huge damn accomplishment.

What happened to
Dr. Radcliffe
is just...bizarre. A fate worse than death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom