• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of SHIELD S04E15 is among the MCU's very best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuburt

This show is so incredible it retroactively redeems how schmaltzy and cheesy the first half of the first season is and uses that to its advantage.
Even the complaints about characters like Skye and Fitzsimmons at the beginning seem quant considering the progression of the characters. The progression of SHIELD as an organization was also great. SHIELD, as presented in those early episodes, was so disconnected from how they were presented in the films it was like a bus full of kids on a field trip with their chaperones. Now it's pretty much everything I could hope for from a TV show about SHIELD.
Complete with this season using SHIELD bases from the films! So cool.

Also, HYDRA is basically a joke in the films besides in The Winter Soldier, but AoS makes them a pretty decent villain organization, in the way you might hope HYDRA or AIM would be in the films to some degree.

I hear you, this would be a first for me but my rainy days are fully stocked up, and time (and apparently my attention span) is more limited than ever. I could definitely change my mind when I decide to get around to it.
Then like I said, just wait for your rainy days to clear up. There is no rush to watch this now. It'll still be a good show once you get to it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Love the MCU, never watched this. Should I watch every episode?

If you love the MCU, yes. Like has been said, there's a bit of a rough stretch as the show finds its feet, but by the second half of the first season they have their shit together.

Watch from the beginning (it really isn't that bad), because you'll need that stuff to establish the characters.

LiamR

SHIELD is the cream of the crop when it comes to superhero TV shows. Since the end of season 1, it's been consistently very fun (despite season 3 having a slightly rougher back half). It has several episodes like this and '4,722 Hours' from last season that are just sublime.

I enjoy most of the DC shows and some of the Netflix stuff, but they simply can't compete with SHIELD when it's at its best.

jdstorm

Banned
Is everyone still Jobbing for Mac? Is Ward back from the dead for the millionth time despite being about as interesting as getting minor surgery?

Really liked some of the core cast. Especially Daisy/Fitz/Simmons but everything around it was just so cluelessly convoluted.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Love the MCU, never watched this. Should I watch every episode?

There are stretches where the show is a bit of a slog. The first 2/3rds of Season 1 are very much this.

But the highs, specifically this season, are so strong because of the emotional arc all these characters have been through.

Fury451

Banned
I certainly didn't think the first Ghost Rider to get the best treatment in the MCU would be Robbie Reyes of all people

nomis

I stopped watching around the point where Coulson and British Man were chilling in Bruce Banner's cabin. Can I just restart at the beginning of S4?

It sucks having friends and reading posts online about this love for the CW garbage, but they won't give AOS a chance because reasons.

It's arguably one of the best shows between Marvel and DC, and deserves more recognition.

No need to throw the CW shows under the bus. Legends of Tomorrow Season 2 kept me warm when AoS was off.

But yeah I don't know if I'd go so far as to say it's the best thing in the MCU, but it's in my top 5. Here's hoping this season ends as strong as it's been so far.

God damn. Just bumping this a bit to say that last night's episode (S4E20... third from the last in S4) was some fantastic, well crafted television. Man that was emotional and crazy and beautiful and tough.

Seriously. If you're on the fence about watching this show, watch this show. Start from the beginning and soak it in.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
God damn. Just bumping this a bit to say that last night's episode (S4E20... third from the last in S4) was some fantastic, well crafted television. Man that was emotional and crazy and beautiful and tough.

Seriously. If you're on the fence about watching this show, watch this show. Start from the beginning and soak it in.

fuckkk cant wait to go home and watch it

blacklotus

What the fuck just saw the episode now.

I have a fucking daughter man, what the fuck.

Been punched in the gut like crazy.

HigXx

Episode 15 just aired in the UK and damn that was one of the most intense pieces of TV Ive watched. This show has only gotten better

So decided to get back into AoS because of this thread. I stopped watching it half way through season 3 as it just didn't hold my interest. Picked it back up from where I left off and have binged it just to get caught back up to season 4 episode 20 and wow I'm so glad I did. These last few episodes have been incredible I just hope they can continue with this momentum going forward.

Malakai

That first half is more maligned than it should be imo. It was kind of corny and the show was still trying to find its feet while stalling for time until Winter Soldier, but the character interactions were all pretty fun and it's part of what makes what comes after so good – SHIELD being fully operational and the characters all being friends and chilling is a necessary build up for all the shit they have to face later.

This. Too bad that like everybody overlooks this.

J_Viper

I'm really trying to get into this since I hear nothing but praise over these last few seasons, but I can't make it through season one. It's SO fucking bad.

Is there at least a recap I can read through so I can skip it?

BSherrod

And before anyone asks: if you decide to jump in and marathon the series, don't skip episodes. Slow/mediocre starts are a lot more tolerable when binging and it's really only the first half of the first season.

(The second half is better and becomes very good near the end. Season 2 is fantastic from start to finish. Season 3 is split into a great first half and inconsistent second half. Season 4 has topped season 2 and is probably some of the best stuff in the entire MCU.)

If someone gives you some weird ass list of the first season which is missing like 4 episodes, ignore them. That's dumb. You'll be fine, I promise.

This guy gets it. Don't skip episodes people. That payoff from The Well episode that everyone hated? WHEW.

I'm really trying to get into this since I hear nothing but praise over these last few seasons, but I can't make it through season one. It's SO fucking bad.

Is there at least a recap I can read through so I can skip it?

Without giving away big spoilers, parts of Season 4 directly reference events and people in Season 1, so you are doing yourself a disservice by skipping it. You will be making what many people appreciate about season 4 worse by skipping stuff in Season 1.

Also, Bill Paxton in there at the end of S1, and everyone deserves to watch more Bill Paxton

The big turning point in Season 1 is Episode 16 in case you are wondering, but there is other well done episodes before that. The first episode of the show I loved was Episode 13. Really well written and directed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom