• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AI overlords will take over cinema in next decade? It’s getting crazy

Buggy Loop

Harry Potter in some weird 80’s dark fantasy style

These are amateurs doing these, imagine if in coming years a big company unlocks these to make full movies. You could pick the style, modify the actors, voice, acting style.. the sky is the limit with this tech.

Endless entertainment?

I guess someone will say it looks fake but that’s a matter of time, 10 years from now, who can predict how good it can be.

ManaByte

Yea it’s all fun and games while AI is generating Harry Potter pictures, but then…

Arnold Schwarzenegger Terminator GIF by Filmin

What is it with that thousand mile stare they have going on? I hear that's one aspect AI has difficulty replicating, eye movements.

WTF did I just watch 😂. I guess in ten years I’ll check back in with this thread and hopefully confirm if Skynet has taken Hollywood by storm. See you on the other side, fellas!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
AI can do an enormous amount of good the worst case scenario is will smith’s irobot, terminator.

will smith art GIF
terminator GIF

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hollywood SHOULD be scared of this tech. Audiences have proven time and time again that they will happily settle for mediocrity with half decent execution. So an AI just has to clear a pretty low bar, add lots of boobs , gore, and action, and it will be pretty successful.

Comedy is probably gonna be the last refuge of true human artistry.

Ownage

Maybe I'm just old but all of the AI stuff looks dumb as hell to me.

Hollywood SHOULD be scared of this tech. Audiences have proven time and time again that they will happily settle for mediocrity with half decent execution. So an AI just has to clear a pretty low bar, add lots of boobs , gore, and action, and it will be pretty successful.

Comedy is probably gonna be the last refuge of true human artistry.
You want unlimited STTNG episodes? Boom. You want to dive deep into Picard and Shaka, When the Walls Fell, and explore his follow-up relationship with Dathon et al? Boom, done.

You want more Beethoven, or more Massive Attack Mezzanine? Boom, done.

You like Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series? You want to see what happens to Ryan's family - generations after all's been wrapped up? Boom, done.

You like FF7, and think the remake sucks? You want to see more of the original style of FF7 and see what happens later? Boom, done.

You want to mix it up and blend Dr. Doom with Cloud, Solid Snake and Asterix? Boom, done.

Oh yea, all of conventional entertainment is under threat. As stated above, the human created artistry will increase in value, and AI entertainment will very quickly be commonplace. And it'll be really good stuff.

That's the scary part - the erosion of the human expression.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Harry Potter in some weird 80’s dark fantasy style

These are amateurs doing these, imagine if in coming years a big company unlocks these to make full movies. You could pick the style, modify the actors, voice, acting style.. the sky is the limit with this tech.

Endless entertainment?

I guess someone will say it looks fake but that’s a matter of time, 10 years from now, who can predict how good it can be.

Wow, not long ago they were just pictures, now they're animated and talking. All this is happening much faster than I thought. But they do look creepy.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
You want unlimited STTNG episodes? Boom. You want to dive deep into Picard and Shaka, When the Walls Fell, and explore his follow-up relationship with Dathon et al? Boom, done.

You want more Beethoven, or more Massive Attack Mezzanine? Boom, done.

You like Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series? You want to see what happens to Ryan's family - generations after all's been wrapped up? Boom, done.

You like FF7, and think the remake sucks? You want to see more of the original style of FF7 and see what happens later? Boom, done.

You want to mix it up and blend Dr. Doom with Cloud, Solid Snake and Asterix? Boom, done.

Oh yea, all of conventional entertainment is under threat. As stated above, the human created artistry will increase in value, and AI entertainment will very quickly be commonplace. And it'll be really good stuff.

That's the scary part - the erosion of the human expression.
The thing is, I bet an AI could distill what made STTNG great and procedurally generate more eps, certainly far better than the humans have done so far. AI presumably wouldn't inject a current viewpoint, it would have a more myopic view limited to the parameters you give it and no concern about meeting "a checklist" unless you asked for it.

Buggy Loop

Wow, not long ago they were just pictures, now they're animated and talking. All this is happening much faster than I thought. But they do look creepy.

I don't know why but i like the creepy vibes. The guy always tweak the AI to have a certain "drawing", like a caricature of what we remember the 80's.

But the point is you can tweak AI to any esthetics. The Balenciaga "meme" makes it even stranger with like Zoolander like models and weird "Dune" vibes.

Even with just using 3rd party tools you can make a convincing AI animated avatar.

It changes so much in a few months that god knows where we'll be in a couple of years, we'll approach "Her" movie levels of AI interactivity soon enough, but with avatars on top of it, not just a voice.

They also make crazy trippy psychedelic videos based on music.

Last edited:

Ownage

The thing is, I bet an AI could distill what made STTNG great and procedurally generate more eps, certainly far better than the humans have done so far. AI presumably wouldn't inject a current viewpoint, it would have a more myopic view limited to the parameters you give it and no concern about meeting "a checklist" unless you asked for it.
Exactly, unlimited parameters of any nuance of any episode, movie, book, song, video game, etc.

Wildebeest

Cinemagoer in 2033: Jesus I'm sick of these nonsense "80s dark fantasy" AI movies.
*Moviebot Gigabillion uses its farm of 100080 graphics cards so heavily that the lights in Beijing go out*
Moviebot Gigabillion: How about this Kirby film that is 80s dark fantasy, but everyone is wearing Balenciaga?

Buggy Loop

Cinemagoer in 2033: Jesus I'm sick of these nonsense "80s dark fantasy" AI movies.
*Moviebot Gigabillion uses its farm of 100080 graphics cards so heavily that the lights in Beijing go out*
Moviebot Gigabillion: How about this Kirby film that is 80s dark fantasy, but everyone is wearing Balenciaga?

Balenciaga forever

If AI goes rogue and they wear Balenciaga from all that AI training while they slaughter us, worth it 😂

At some point there is probably going to be a huge premium placed on pre-AI art, kind of similar to how vinyl is so popular and premium priced right now.

Either that or the world is going to be so flooded with art of literally every single type imaginable that we are going to start digging ditches to entertain ourselves simply because it will feel novel.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I am continually amazed at how amazed society is with this stuff. It just doesn't look good. I mean if all you're doing is "proofing" out concept art, I guess. But as evidence of a (near) future in which the whole kit and kaboodle of media is AI built. . .nope, not seeing it in any of these threads.

wtf-is-this-john.gif

It's actually kinda cool, but why do they have to look like a buncha assholes?

One of the best scenes from BURN AFTER READING (really anything dealing with the CIA and how they handled the whole situation).

Aesius

All the balenciaga clones are bad, the harry potter one is the only good one.
And only the first one. The follow-ups have been pretty lame. The first one is great because the lines are ethereal enough to sound like they come from a pretentious fashion ad campaign.

GymWolf

And only the first one. The follow-ups have been pretty lame. The first one is great because the lines are ethereal enough to sound like they come from a pretentious fashion ad campaign.
I like the first 2 harry potter in the same way tbh.

Wingardium balenciaga!

tkscz

What is it with that thousand mile stare they have going on? I hear that's one aspect AI has difficulty replicating, eye movements.
It also had an issue with hand for all of Week. Salty artist still make little comics claiming AI art can't do hands. It'll get eye movement eventually, and probably sooner than later

Have you guys seen that Midjourney discord? It's crazy what AI can generate based on a stupid single line of text. Artists are pretty much obsolete already. The AI makes much better stuff than most artists can even imagine.

Top Bottom