• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akihiko Yoshida (FFT, TO, Vagrant Story, FFXII) confirms that he has left Square Enix

zoukka

Just another step in the decomposition of Square-Enix's rotten corpse. Good riddance, I hope new studios are created by the legends that leave ship.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Why would Nomura, of all people, leave Square-Enix?

Why of all people Sakaguchi left? Ok they basically fired him but that could happen to Nomura too in case XV/KH3 bombs, he doesn't get paid enough, stress, de-promotion ect ~ you really never know.

He ruined Final Fantasy.

LOL. As if Spirits Within and FFXIV 1.0 didn't do worse. What an exaggeration. If anything Versus XIII is doing even worse to it with its infinite delays. Toriyama actually tried his best to keep the series relevant when his collegues where screwing up big if anything. Thanks god S-E aknowledges this and put him in the committee to make the series loved again.

So now Team Ogre is free to join Vanillaware and make a Vagrant Story x Dragon's Crown hybrid successor? I mean, the Sorceress was clearly always, ahem, Ogre Battle's pumpkin-loving witch Deneb. I got a good feeling.

But it's also OK if Konami hires Matsuno and Yoshida to make Suikoden VI.... that'd be OK, too. But... I've got nothing else to report.

Maybe a new Kickstarter that is.... cyberpunk... yeah, cyberpunk... small-scale turn-based shadowruns and large-scale corp politics.. ala Syndicate or Shadowrun. This is the way.

Or something with the Gooch. Yeah, S-E. I said The Gooch. Blame yourself... or Eye Cancer.

KupoNut

I hope they ask him back for projects as a freelance.

Next, Toriyama please.

Really excited by Kitase/Hashimoto's (can't remember exactly) comments that they had a lot of young talent lying around though.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Exactly. If he's pushed to leaving you know we'll have crossed the event horizon of SE's collapse.

Well I mean he is growing old too, I think S-E should just hire new people instead of relying too much on these few. Isn't Naoki Yoshida sort of new in there? He did great. There's talent to scout out there, let people from Sakaguchi's leacy leave and find some new talent. This people are not going to be immortal anyway so they have to do it eventually.

Jacobbles

Yoshida is one of the best artists in the biz imo, I'm glad he left Square. He's wasted there.

If he could join up with Matsuno again... oh boy

jaxword

Why of all people Sakaguchi left? Ok they basically fired him but that could happen to Nomura too in case XV/KH3 bombs, he doesn't get paid enough, stress, de-promotion ect ~ you really never know.

LOL. As if Spirits Within and FFXIV 1.0 didn't do worse. What an exaggeration. If anything Versus XIII is doing even worse to it with its infinite delays. Toriyama actually tried his best to keep the series relevant when his collegues where screwing up big if anything.

It's true that Spirits Within was when Sakaguchi made his fatal mistake. And that FF14 appears to have been Yoichi Wada's fatal mistake.

Yosuke Matsuda is the man to watch now and I assume he's probably going to do anything he can to get everything profitable again, and that means, yep, the dreaded focus on portables and mobiles.

Sometimes I wonder how disorganized the company must be since they clearly cannot manage teams.

Shinta

Banned
Exactly. If he's pushed to leaving you know we'll have crossed the event horizon of SE's collapse.

No one even knew who Naoki Yoshida was 2 years ago. Now everyone wants him to make more mainline FF games.

The same people will not be running any game company for 10-25 years. People should be more aware of normal transition in workforce. Even Nintendo is constantly talking about grooming new directors and de-emphasizing Miyamoto all the time.

Well I mean he is growing old too, I think S-E should just hire new people instead of relying too much on these few. Isn't Naoki Yoshida sort of new in there? He did great. There's talent to scout out there, let people from Sakaguchi's leacy leave and find some new talent. This people are not going to be immortal anyway so they have to do it eventually.

Exactly. I honestly don't know if people even realize this, given some of the responses here.

Eusis

Well, that's true. Does seem to be kind of a problem with the Japanese game industry in general though, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of fresh new blood.
No one even knew who Naoki Yoshida was 2 years ago. Now everyone wants him to make more mainline FF games.

The same people will not be running any game company for 10-25 years. People should be more aware of normal transition in workforce. Even Nintendo is constantly talking about grooming new directors and de-emphasizing Miyamoto all the time..
Incidentally the one name that came to mind for fresh blood! Still, it almost seems like he's the exception rather than the norm, and I'm not sure how well he'd do in charge of a non-MMO. Not that I expect we'll find out any time soon if ever.

DMiz

So continues Square-Enix's dissolution. The company really has lost much of the creative power that it had collected in the mid-90s that made it a powerhouse. It now really does seem to be a husk of its former self.

Has any company really stepped up to the place since then? We've seen many of the talent that's gone out forming their own companies, and while some of the people have remained prominent in the scene (Basiscape comes to mind), others haven't really been part of any zeitgeist that we've seen for a while.

KoopaTheCasual

Incidentally the one name that came to mind for fresh blood! Still, it almost seems like he's the exception rather than the norm, and I'm not sure how well he'd do in charge of a non-MMO. Not that I expect we'll find out any time soon if ever.

There's Tabata, as well. I think the two of them are the future of FF, as they're already proven in a short time they are very capable. But yes, there needs to be a push to groom more young talent.

Glass Rebel

Well, anything can happen, sure. "Fear" implies that there are signs why he would leave. He's working on two of the Japanese side's biggest projects.

Eusis

There's Tabata, as well. I think the two of them are the future of FF, as they're already proven in a short time they are very capable. But yes, there needs to be a push to groom more young talent.
Yeah, I suppose they may actually be in a moderately better position than a decade ago for talent refresh, though they also came out with a lot of great handheld support just a few years later. And still had much of this old guard that's been vacating the company since.
Well, anything can happen, sure. "Fear" implies that there are signs why he would leave. He's working on two of the Japanese side's biggest projects.
Yeah, I do think if he leaves sooner than later it'll be the single most troubling sign we'll see, but I don't think it's likely to just happen within the next few months or anything. It'd at worst be just before one of those games came out, a Matsuno-esque meltdown. Though XV HAS been cooking longer than XII at this point, nevermind how long people waited for KH3 while prequel after prequel hit.

Famassu

The real loss will come when (eventually) Nomura will leave. He is Square Enix basically. And I have fear after XV he might be leaving...
Unless FFXV is a monumental flop on par or even exceeding Spirits Within and shareholders force him out, Nomura ain't leaving. After FFXV he still has KHIII and based on how he has talked about the future of the franchise post-III, he has no plans to leave after that game either.

Labadal

Don't think he'll join any company on a permanent basis. He'll probably go freelance from now on.

I'd like to see his style in a game that uses the same graphical style as Ni No Kuni.

Shinta

Banned
Unless FFXV is a monumental flop on par or even exceeding Spirits Within and shareholders force him out, Nomura ain't leaving. After FFXV he still has KHIII and based on how he has talked about the future of the franchise post-III, he has no plans to leave after that game either.

Pretty much. The way the guy talks, I wonder if he actually experiences the passage of time at the same speed we do. 10 years for him seems like nothing. I don't think he's going anywhere. He's talked about XV not being the whole story too, with sequels clearly in mind. That's 3 major console games he's planning, minimum. And he's talked about TWEWY 2 as well.

Really sad news, not for him as I'm sure he'll be a lot better anywhere else, but the reality of Square Enix is really depressing.

qc5y1SB.png

Damn.

jiggle

Pretty much. The way the guy talks, I wonder if he actually experiences the passage of time at the same speed we do. 10 years for him seems like nothing. I don't think he's going anywhere. He's talked about XV not being the whole story too, with sequels clearly in mind. That's 3 major console games he's planning, minimum. And he's talked about TWEWY 2 as well.
Not to mention the inevitable ff7r ;)
I bet SE will have him on even more projects if they can
He ain't going no where

LOL. As if Spirits Within and FFXIV 1.0 didn't do worse. What an exaggeration. If anything Versus XIII is doing even worse to it with its infinite delays. Toriyama actually tried his best to keep the series relevant when his collegues where screwing up big if anything. Thanks god S-E aknowledges this and put him in the committee to make the series loved again.

No. XV hasn't been delayed without reason. S-E chose to focus on Toriyama's turds for an entire generation and turned the series from AAA to B level single-handedly.

At this point though, I'm pretty sure you're either trolling or just a reincarnation of Rahxephon91.

Jesus, S-E is a huge mess. :/

Famassu

Just another step in the decomposition of Square-Enix's rotten corpse. Good riddance, I hope new studios are created by the legends that leave ship.
These kinds of posts are just pathetic. How is this any different from various artist types going freelancer (even during the so called golden years)yet still having the occasional projects with SQEX? If anything, this is good for both parties. Perhaps this will give new talent the possibility to rise and now people will hopefully get to see Yoshida's art a bit more often.

And what exactly is so rotten about a company that has projects like Bravely Second, Theatrhythm Curtain Call, KHIII, FFXV, Drakengard 3, KH2.5HD and such under development? Yeah, they are publishing more mobile games, almost none of which are actually developed by them, so I don't really see the problem.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
No... no... it... was supposed... to be Toriyama who left... wat... WAT
SSSSQQUAAARRREEEE!!
8knRayb.gif

kevm3

The only ones there that I still really care for is Hamauzu and Kobayashi. It's amazing how much talent Square had at one time. On the music side, they had Sakamoto, Mitsuda, Uematsu and hamauzu (who they still have). On the art side, Yoshida, Amano and a few others.

Big One

Banned
This isn't a huge loss, guys. All this says is that he'll have an opportunity to work with other and better companies. Also remember Amano isn't employed by Square anymore either, yet he still does a massive amount of stuff. Basically Yoshida is likely to do something similar to that, but unlike his previous employment he'll be self-employed and be able to do other things.

Tiops

Now I'll just wait for Hiroyuki Ito to leave so I can completely ignore S-E.

I know he's not doing anything, but the fact that he's there still gives me hope.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yeah, Nintendo doesn't seem to have favorable conditions for their systems, but I wonder if Sony does for theirs? Would be interesting if the PS4 takes off in that regard, especially if we get companies that will localize that stuff like CarpeFulgar.

... Man, I really do think I'll be reminiscing when SE made non-mobile games by the end of this next generation. :/

Well, it does sound like he'd still work with them probably on a contractual basis, so admittedly I can see it being a situation where it's effectively the same as before, just that he shows up in non-SE games again.

If he left in November, I would guess that his work on Bravely Second is already on a contractual basis.

It does indicate that the split was on good terms.
first responding to the responses to my post, Im sure its contractual and I agree, what I meant is bravely second might be the last one he felt fully obligated to do, Im sure the game has atleast started work on it before he left so he's probably knee deep into the game's development already and probably isnt reacting like he left at all, atleast for that project, if htis makes sense.

and want to correct you eusis, nintendo is fully open to any indies in japan as of some months ago, whatever issue they had before has been resolved.
Another thing to note that ALOT (mostly squaresoft) of squareenix employees are now working for nintendo.

Famassu

The only ones there that I still really care for is Hamauzu and Kobayashi. It's amazing how much talent Square had at one time. On the music side, they had Sakamoto, Mitsuda, Uematsu and hamauzu (who they still have). On the art side, Yoshida, Amano and a few others.
Hamauzu is freelancer. And both Sakimoto and Uematsu have composed for Square Enix after leaving, and Amano continued to do some art for them as well.

Really, it makes absolutely NO SENSE whatsoever for art people like Yoshida or music people like Sakamoto to stay at one developer nowadays (no matter if that is Level 5, SQEX or Sony) if they want to spread their work on as many projects as possible. The fact & realities of the matter is that as projects have become bigger and as they take more time to develop, there's really no need to have composers & art designers around full-time. I mean, I don't think any western developers even have in-house composers and the art designer types move around a lot.

Now I'll just wait for Hiroyuki Ito to leave so I can completely ignore S-E.

I know he's not doing anything, but the fact that he's there still gives me hope.
Based on some interviews, Ito has had at least one big project in pre-development/early development, but they just haven't advanced with it because of XIV2.0 taking almost all of the workforce. Now that XIV2.0 is out of the way, I'm sure things have started progressing for other projects behind the scenes and they just haven't announced at least a few of their upcoming games yet, since they might be so early.

And don't be silly, there are a lot of talented people at SQEX still apart from Ito. He is one of the best, but SQEX didn't need him for a lot of their great games they've released since FFXII.

Tiops

And don't be silly, there are a lot of talented people at SQEX still apart from Ito. He is one of the best, but SQEX didn't need him for a lot of their great games they've released since FFXII.
I'm not seeing those "lot of great games", honestly. I know that there are talented people there, but when the ones I like the most start leaving and people like Toriyama ruins everything, I can't really care about them anymore. I'm hyping Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3, but that's it. And the hype is level is quite low.

I liked the art style Akihiko Yoshida used for Final Fantasy Tactics. It assisted in making the world of Ivalice more distinct from other Final Fantasies. I say the same for Final Fantasy XII. The art style of FFXII was actually the only thing besides the voice acting which I liked about it. I hope Yoshida-san continues to work in the video game industry.

Top Bottom