• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Al Bundy Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Haha this has to be shopped right? If it isn't then that's hilarious.

I had a weird relationship with this show, my mom forbade me from watching it at all, while my dad would always sneak me in the room to watch it with him when she wasn't around.

9z8xuXy.jpg

norm9

I love the Christmas episode where Sam Kinison shows Al that if he died, the family would have a wonderful life, so he tells the angel he wants to live to keep his family from being happy.

Al Bundy Seasons 1-3 = Funny, sharp, witty
Al Bundy after season 3 = Goofy, forced

He went full Homer Simpson around the time of No Maam.

Haha this has to be shopped right? If it isn't then that's hilarious.

I had a weird relationship with this show, my mom forbade me from watching it at all, while my dad would always sneak me in the room to watch it with him when she wasn't around.

Probably real, they tend to reuse props like newspapers all the time because you're not allowed to show a specific product, so you have to make your own. And newspapers are kind of extinct at this point, so digging up an old prop would definitely be the first thing they would do.

Nokterian

Married with Children one of my favorite comedy shows. The whole cast is sublime but Ed O'neill as Al Bundy is the greatest of them all. Some people say about the laugh tracks are bad these days and i agree but this was something else the whole audience cheered when Al comes through the door but sometimes you hear one in the audience yell "DON'T DO IT AL!" for example.

The show is still on rerun here in the netherlands on comedy central doesn't care how many times i have seen it it is still fucking great.

Al Bundy is among the greatest comedic characters ever.

I also loved how of a badass he was on a fistfight.

Al Bundy was miserable at life, but on a brawl, he was awesome.
He didn't lose a single fight on the whole show!

The show was brilliant for it's time, of course it's a bit "wrong" and "dated" now but it doesn't make it less awesome in my view. I watched it when I was little growing up, didn't really see many episodes of the last few seasons up until I got the dvds a few years ago (our local network stopped showing them as regularly as they used to.... then out of nowhere they promoted and showed the final ever episode). Still laugh at the episodes today :-D.

Al Bundy is a god!

I used to watch it all the time. It was really dark satire if you think about it. Like really dark sometimes. And I loved the way Al Bundy was treated like this folk underdog hero by the show and the audience. And how when it really came down to it, he'd always stick up for his family. It worked.

Ferrio

Banned
The first season is always so bizarre. They're still pretty normal people just a bit off. I mean peg cooks and stuff, the kids are fine, and al just a bit disgruntled about marriage. Then they went full tilt on the characters.

one of my favorite episodes, Al gets a new car and it shows it pulling up to garage only with him pushing it in himself as the song "I get around" in the background
married-with-children.jpg

I love him so much, my absolute idol since the third grade,
I actually use to put my hand down my trousers in class back then, also did the shooting myself with a gun thingy. in retrospect he might not of been the greatest role model for a 8 year old...

al_bundy_senior_championships.png

I only gave Modern Family a chance because Al Bundy is in it.

Also, watching reruns now, the show's even better than how I used to remember it, as a kid. For some reason, the one part in the early seasons where Steve comes back from a trip, turns around, and then suddenly is Al used to scare me.

The later episodes with guest stars and country music crap suck, though.

AlexBasch

Also, Jefferson was a great character, despite being a replacement.

It was funny when the Marcy's first husband showed up again in that car wash episode. :p

I tried to rewatch some episodes a while ago and I can't stand it. The laugh track, the stupidity of it all. Ugh.
I think I only watched it as a kid because I was in love with Kelly.
Here's to Kelly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkJXYKmTDzw

Oh FFS. MWC and shows like it back then were filmed in front of a studio audience. I swear you milennials don't know a thing about the difference growing up with shitty shows like Arrested Development and Always Sunny.

gioGAF

Show was amazing, Ed O'Neill was awesome. One of my favorite shows of all time! F' the haters and politically correct brigade.

I love him so much, my absolute idol since the third grade,
I actually use to put my hand down my trousers in class back then, also did the shooting myself with a gun thingy. in retrospect he might not of been the greatest role model for a 8 year old...

I still do the gunshot and the "pretend to hang self with neck tie" that he did a few times as well. Makes myself giggle when I have those kinds of moments that make me react in the same manner.

Also my favorite episode is the shopping competition episode where they start off going into the supermarket to escape the heat and then end up in the competition against Jefferson and Marcy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom