• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake franchise sold more than 4.5m units on PC and Xbox 360

Ihxd8Lv.gif

Excellent! Bring on QB and then AW2!!!

Superfrog

Well deserved. However, from a commercial perspective, sales numbers after such a long time period are pretty pointless since we know the majority of copies was sold at a very low price point.

Majority of sales have to be on PC if it took this long to share sales, right?

It was bundled in 2010 in the holiday Bundle with Forza 3, so a bit part of it might have come from that.

Its been on sale everywhere plenty of times. Not that I'm trying to downplay the PC version, it seems to have had great success there too, from the very short amount I played on it, it looked great.

I assume they're counting the Xbox 360 bundles in this anyway.

If they make a sequel, I want less shitty combat and more NPC interaction and small-town sandbox exploration. Just make it more like Deadly Premonition, basically.

inky

I wouldn't mind more Alan Wake.

But frankly I would prefer Remedy brought something new to PC again after QB.

Nice but it is a pretty meaningless statistic. The game has been sold in multiple Steam sales for next to nothing and they even had an Alan Wake Humble Bundle which allowed you to buy all the games for next to nothing.

Bizzquik

This has to all-but confirm a Xbox One remaster.

I think Microsoft isn't entirely ready to greenlight a sequel. So I bet they release a remaster and see how that does in the market. And if the remaster sells well, then we get a sequel.

EGM1966

I'd like another hour be if they build on original with less shooting and more investigation/horror and ditch direction they took with Anerican Nightmares.

It's a decent total but if they're saying franchise then this is both AWE plus AN and most sales were almost certainly reduced price and likely include a lot of PC sales at low price via Steam.

Still, lower revenue or not at least they've got a decent base of folks who tried it to build on if they choose.

Not too surprising since they've practically given the game away for free on PC in the past. I think it's skewed toward PC sales, but I could be wrong about that. It also looks like they're counting American Nightmare.

It's good but the game has been so cheap on Steam Sales for a while now and it was HumbleBundled too. The number seems great but clearly the revenue was insignificant enough for MS to not want another one.

Until now, perhaps. I do wonder if a remaster will test the waters for a sequel.

Sydle

Well deserved. However, from a commercial perspective, sales numbers after such a long time period are pretty pointless since we know the majority of copies was sold at a very low price point.

It shows consumer interests and there are generally positive feelings around the game. Not every game with bargain big prices manages to sell so much.

giapel

This has to all-but confirm a Xbox One remaster.

I think Microsoft isn't entirely ready to greenlight a sequel. So I bet they release a remaster and see how that does in the market. And if the remaster sells well, then we get a sequel.

A test? This is not Capcom and Nintendo.

KR_remix

Hopefully if they make a sequel it is less walking around in the woods at night, and more exploring/Stephen King style weirdness.

Quantum Break is actually an episode of Night Springs watched by Alan Wake. The twist you guys didn't see coming. So you guys were actually playing Alan Wake 2 all along and didn't even know it.

ZeroCDR

Seeing as I bought the complete collection on Steam for less than an order of fries at McDowell's, I'm surprised it's not higher.

Keeps reminding me I still need to play it on PC, I loved the Xbox 360 version and I think I'm ready for another go!

It was part of a humble bundle once. I know that is where my copy came from.

Edit: if they are happy with the ltd sales then awesome, but I do hope games don't get put on to humble bundles or plus services just to tout ltd numbers later.

I'm very happy. I bought it on launch for the 360. After besting it I recommended it to ad many people as I could and they enjoyed it as well. It is great to see this was a slow burner and over time was really successful!

EGM1966

I wonder why they called it a franchise.
I'm assuming because that isn't the sales for Alan Wake but Alan Wake and Alan Wake American Nightmare combined as two separate titles. Might also include counting of DLC although I suspect not as that would be stretching it.

dlauv

Alan Wake is pretty strange. The combat isn't particularly enthralling and the gameplay is extremely redundant, but I had an amazing time with it. Good atmosphere, interesting story, and a great sense of humor with very good writing and VA. It's in that Deadly Premonition, Twin Peaks, X-Files kind of area. Spooky prime time tv fun.

favorite game i played when i had a 360. super meat boy was a close second.
i only played like 3 games on it and the other was geow
I would definitely borrow a One to play part 2 if it ever comes.

And 4.5 million after, which means 1/3 of the sales are barely anything but a frivolity.

Its also been on sale on Xbox 360, would they rather have 4.5m sales or 3m sales?

Who cares how they got them as long as they did, thats 4.5m people with exposure to the series. If anymore Alan Wake is to come Microsoft will likely fund it, they will more likely to do so at 4.5m

The lengths some people are going to in order to downplay the number, jesus.

RaptorGTA

Own the first Alan Wake on Xbox360 and PC. Own American Nightmare on PC....please let there be an Alan Wake 2. Please please please!

Wozman23

I never got around to picking up a 360, but from the little I knew about Alan Wake, I always thought it looked intriguing. I grabbed the complete franchise sometime later for something like $2 as a Humble Bundle. However, it wouldn't even run on my integrated intel graphics card, so I was forced to put it on the back burner. I finally got around to playing it last March after I got a new PC.

To say I was impressed would be an understatement. I loved every single thing about it! I pretty much went in blind, and left thinking it was one of the greatest IPs from last gen.

Having never played the original Max Payne games, it was my introduction to Remedy. I'm now an avid follower. With a One now, I'm down for a sequel day one, and anticipate Quantum Break too.

Well, when you have a fucking Depeche Mode song in your end credits, this is what happens

They made me a fan of Poets of the Fall too.

Top Bottom