• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake PC FAQ

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"Alan Wake PC: Better graphics compared to 360, looks great at 60 fps"

Well duh, literally everything looks better at a higher framerate. Anything below 60 generally looks like dogshit.

scitek

"Alan Wake PC: Better graphics compared to 360, looks great at 60 fps"

Well duh, literally everything looks better at a higher framerate. Anything below 60 generally looks like dogshit.

I like 30fps with some good motion blur, personally, but without motion blur it often looks jittery to me now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I like 30fps with some good motion blur, personally, but without motion blur it often looks jittery to me now.

My problem with motion blur is that 98% of the time it looks like garbage. Then again, I play everything I can at 60 fps so I appreciate pristine motion.

I can't stand when you see the seams around objects where the motion blur doesn't match up. It happened around the gun in Resistance 3 all the time.

scitek

My problem with motion blur is that 98% of the time it looks like garbage. Then again, I play everything I can at 60 fps so I appreciate pristine motion.

I can't stand when you see the seams around objects where the motion blur doesn't match up. It happened around the gun in Resistance 3 all the time.

The only games I really think do it well are the Crysis games (Cryses?) and The Witcher 2. Maybe another one or two, but yeah, I agree it looks like shit most of the time.

I like 60 when I can get it, too, but sometimes--like in UE3 games, for example, it really makes the streaming when entering new areas stand out like crazy. Like in Alice: Madness Returns, I get 60fps at all times, but when it's streaming a new area--which is quite often--it stutters like hell. I can't stand that.

Curufinwe

I assume this will have a Steam Achievement for collecting all 100 thermoses. If you plan on getting that, I suggest you either:

A) Follow a thermos guide from the start
B) Don't pick up any thermoses until your second playthru when you will follow a guide and never have to wonder if a thermos isn't there because you collected it on your first playthru or because you aren't in quite the right place
C) Keep a record of how many thermoses you pick up in each chapter because, at least on the 360, the game only keeps track of your total number of thermoses collected

Finishing my second playthru on Alan Wake with 99/100 thermoses and having no idea where in the game the final thermos was located was a really awful feeling.

Mr_Zombie

Stupid question is stupid, but most of the screenshots (all besides the first one) in the gallery under the interview are from X360 version, right? Because they are somewhat fuzzy looking.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah those shots aren't PC shots other than the first one I guess (the one that has "coming to PC 2012" on it).

One thing that is a serious bummer about this port is that Alan Wake used a fair amount of pre-recorded cutscenes and they are gonna look terribad juxtaposed with HD resolutions.

The bright side is that the soon to be released XBLA AW game had to go 100% real-time cutscenes due to the size restrictions.

scitek

I assume this will have a Steam Achievement for collecting all 100 thermoses. If you plan on getting that, I suggest you either:

A) Follow a thermos guide from the start
B) Don't pick up any thermoses until your second playthru when you will follow a guide and never have to wonder if a thermos isn't there because you collected it on your first playthru or because you aren't in quite the right place
C) Keep a record of how many thermoses you pick up in each chapter because, at least on the 360, the game only keeps track of your total number of thermoses collected

Finishing my second playthru on Alan Wake with 99/100 thermoses and having no idea where in the game the final thermos was located was a really awful feeling.

Thanks for this, I'll be sure not to bother with any until my second play-through.

hauton

Probably won't pick this up at full retail release price... not after the runaround we PC gamers were given on this.

Maybe when it goes on sale.

Jtrizzy

SCC is decent imo, I just wish they'd left out the god awful grey filter thing. It's also pretty poorly optimized on PC.

I do think other 3rd person shooters like Uncharted could learn a lot from the basic movement/gunplay mechanics. It's not perfect, I love having an actual crouch button. Hopefully Max Payne sets the new standard. I never realized how (imo) overrated the mechanics in Uncharted are.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Which screens are you refering too? There is only one PC screen and all the other Alan Wake screens look good imo.

Yeah, clearly only the first one is a pc screen. The others are muddy low-res monstrosities.

Jtrizzy

Which PC (or PS3 for that matter) games have uncompressed audio? I'm doing sound directly from the 580 to an hdmi 1.4 receiver and most games sound pretty great, I thought I was already getting that in some of the more recent games but I guess not?

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/alan-wake-pc-comes-to-retail-from-nordic-games/

Nordic Games said:
“It goes without saying that we are very happy and proud to work together with some of the greatest talents and artists of the games industry. We are really looking forward to the PC version of Alan Wake, especially as we are talking about a fantastic PC adaptation thereof, rather than a mere porting of the code. We will talk about this in more detail in the upcoming weeks.”

Remedy said:
“We’re very excited that we have the opportunity to bring the PC version of Alan Wake to retail and the fans out there. Working closely with Nordic, we can deliver an amazing experience to PC gamers.”

Screenshot: http://www.abload.de/img/alan_wake_searchingtoxw2.jpg

Chesskid1

Banned
just a minor detail, but they made a change to the alan wake registry. they added something labeled "developer commentary".

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
just a minor detail, but they made a change to the alan wake registry. they added something labeled "developer commentary".

I hope it's like Valve's - in-game with interactive speech bubbles peppered throughout at certain points.

V_Ben

Banned
Most likely. It seems that Remedy was smart enough to retain the rights to the series in the capacity that allows them to release it for any platform of their choosing at a later point.

I don't think that is the case with AW1 though, as it was published on 360 by Microsoft. Think Remedy had to gain permission to release it on PC. So, we'd never see a PS3 version of that one, for example. But American Nightmare? That might just be a different story.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't think that is the case with AW1 though, as it was published on 360 by Microsoft. Think Remedy had to gain permission to release it on PC. So, we'd never see a PS3 version of that one, for example. But American Nightmare? That might just be a different story.

Similar to Mass Effect 1? You are probably right.

I wish Epic would do the same with Gears 2/3 as I'd double-dip on those.

Which PC (or PS3 for that matter) games have uncompressed audio? I'm doing sound directly from the 580 to an hdmi 1.4 receiver and most games sound pretty great, I thought I was already getting that in some of the more recent games but I guess not?

Sound assets are normally compressed because it lets you squeeze more through limited system bandwidth (and save hard drive space). Decompressing audio on the fly is *really* cheap from a processing perspective.

derFeef

I hope it's like Valve's - in-game with interactive speech bubbles peppered throughout at certain points.

I guess it's the same as with the 360 version. You can enable developer commentary in the options. If you play the game then, little commentary videos pop up in the corner.

JaseC

I guess it's the same as with the 360 version. You can enable developer commentary and little commentary videos pop up in the corner while you play the game.

Oh. :( I wasn't aware (or simply forgot) that the X360 version had developer commentary, haha.

JaseC

Well the special edition only, sorry :) You have to "install" those extra features.

Ah. The version I borrowed back in 2010 was just the standard edition. I haven't bothered even opening the CE I ordered, outside of getting the XBL DLC code for a GAFer, as it arrived shortly after the announcement of the PC version. :p

frontieruk

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/alan-wake-pc-details-textures-will-be-polished-at-specific-spots-game-uses-6991-textures-in-total/

Since the announcement of Alan Wake’s PC version, a lot of gamers have been wondering whether Remedy would be using textures of a higher resolution or not. And at last, we can finally answer to that question. The answer though might not be the one you’ve been hoping to, as Alan Wake PC will feature some polished textures here and there but not a proper HD texture pack.

derFeef

PC screens in 2.560 x 1.440
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,8...piel/Test/bildergalerie/?iid=1625767&vollbild

m5PjWl.jpg

derFeef

Graphics looks great except textures. I hope this game will be mod friendly or they will release high res texture pack.

Modding tools have already being ruled out.
Plus they upped the rez on some textures "where it matters". Need final game in motion to judge :)

TheExodu5

Banned
Looks like they're doing a great job with this one.

It's a bit unreasonable to expect fully redone textures at this point, though. I think they should be commended for redoing some of the textures as has been reported. This game will not sell massive amounts, and the porting costs need to be kept in check. Redoing the textures would involve a pretty huge cost increase.

Top Bottom