• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake - The First 12 Minutes (German)

Raide

Of all the things I hate about modern gaming, it is the fascination some people have with checking pixels.

Honestly, who really cares? I trust in gameplay, not static screenshots. Yes it looks like someone in PR made a bit old mistake just sticking a HUD over an older shot. Personally, I don't care about PR, I care about games. Get the game out, let people play it and if the lack of p's are too much for people, then they can stop playing.

I am in the Remedy room and I am "For" the game. :lol

Pooya

Blimblim said:
I'm totally surprised honestly. I was playing on a 42" TV from like less than one meter away, and I could not detect any upconversion, and certainly didn't see any aliasing. That doesn't mean that the game isn't running at 960x547 (and in that case I'm afraid I was one of the people responsible for claiming the game ran at full 720p), but damn it sure fooled me.
Did you play a night time segment? I think it's harder to notice in darker locations compared to daylight. I'm playing Splinter Cell Conviction right now and it looks really sharp indoors and in dark areas but out doors and lighter areas are too jaggy.

NIGHT-

Proelite said:
Oh look. It's the guy whose top 5 games are GOW, Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy XIII, Mega Man 10, and MAG. I am pretty sure he is in this thread because he is excited about Alan Wake.

:lol :lol

Blimblim

The Inside Track
miladesn said:
Did you play a night time segment? I think it's harder to notice in darker locations compared to daylight. I'm playing Splinter Cell Conviction right now and it looks really sharp indoors and in dark areas but out doors and lighter areas are too jaggy.
I played (or at least watched) the whole first episode. So night gameplay, then day, then dusk, then night again.

Yeah, it's amazing how relatively reasonable things were in this thread until the very moment that someone started in with the 500× zoom numbers. Then the graphics suddenly sucked, the game wasn't worth it, and pre-orders were canceled. So weird. So very GAF.

doesn't really matter to me if you don't believe that i canceled my preorder. i'm not gonna buy it at full price after they so obviously tried to mislead people.

i'll either just rent it, get it used, or wait for a pricedrop (somewhere below $30 seems about fair given the res).

Why does every dicussion about a great looking game devolve into pixel counting and wild irrelevant speculation?

It looks fantastic. It does not matter what fucking kind of magic dust Remedy may have snorted.

deepbrown

charsace said:
I love GAF gaming side. Heavenly Sword got tons of hype with every thread being big and if you questioned it in any way you were called a troll and would get at least a day ban. Wake is coming from a dev with a proven track record and people and it gets little attention and a ton of trolls because its an xbox game.
Lol. Step outside the box and look in. From a PS3 gamers side there's lots of trolling in PS3 threads, from an Xbox 360 gamers side, there's lots of trolling in 360 threads. It's the same in each thread. Hype, troll, hype, troll.

PERHAPS, just perhaps, we can have different opinions from different angles, criticising and complimenting.

Alan Wake graphically looks great, but it's a legitimate complaint to discuss its sub-HD resolution, when the developer's community manager outright says it's 720p. Of course we all look past resolution when game's come out, but there's no need to look past it when it's news that's happening now.

burgerdog

WickedLaharl said:
doesn't really matter to me if you don't believe that i canceled my preorder. i'm not gonna buy it at full price after they so obviously tried to mislead people.

i'll either just rent it, get it used, or wait for a pricedrop (somewhere below $30 seems about fair given the res).

That's one of the funniest things I have ever seen in gaf. Devs, can you king size that bitch up for me? I'll give you an additional $30 if you add some Ps.

WickedLaharl said:

In case you're being serious -which I doubt- we're not sure it's not 720p yet. You're overreacting and you're deciding based on speculation.

Dabanton

WickedLaharl said:

So let me get this straight. You cancel the game because of 'deceit' but you're still going to rent it, get it used or wait for a pricedrop if you had any real guts after your cancellation you would just ignore the game altogether.

I mean they have deceived you.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Welp, I caved in and watched the first 12 minutes. I think the game has many makings of what I'm interested in games, and that's all that really matters. The atmosphere is great, use of lighting is great too. Great looking god ray effects with what seems like volumetric lighting and appropriate post processing lens flares and light fogging, very good color palette and texture work makes for scenery that looks thick in detail and believability. There's great looking scripted moments that happen during gameplay which is definitely something I like to see in games. It's hard to say much for gameplay from this video, but it looks like it will be fun. Slow and methodical shooting like in RE games, I only wonder what the enemy AI will be like, and what the puzzles and exploration will be like.

There's few things that bug me a bit, but it's the kind of stuff I can glance over pretty easily. There's more cheesiness than I thought there will be, both in voice acting and in things that happen (light beam giving you a gun and flashlight seemed pretty ham-fisted even for a dream sequence - they could have handled that better for sure). Facial animations are sub par compared to the best out there. Someone said they are about as good as HR, but I honestly think they were better in HR on most characters, and only stooped to (or below) this level on insignificant characters like that TV announcer at the end of the game. Alan's gameplay animations are not quite there. I think they are using some nice animation system that transitions from one animation to another smoothly, and has situational context reactiveness, but his running etc looks pretty clearly repetitive, stiff and unconvincing somehow.

Shame about the resolution (and that there's still tearing despite that!) but in my opinion it's not worse to have feature-rich graphics at lower res, than to have feature weak graphics at high res. Those screens btw seem to confirm lower res without much question. Full res HUD over lower res graphics behind is usually a dead giveaway.

Blimblim said:
I'm totally surprised honestly. I was playing on a 42" TV from like less than one meter away, and I could not detect any upconversion, and certainly didn't see any aliasing. That doesn't mean that the game isn't running at 960x547 (and in that case I'm afraid I was one of the people responsible for claiming the game ran at full 720p), but damn it sure fooled me.
I think it's the kind of thing most people don't look actively for, and when something is a bit blurry it's less offensive to eyes than when something's very jaggedy. With 4xMSAA they can hide jaggies effectively, and also the subdued less contrasty color palette they have must help as well, particularly during the night scenes.

deepbrown

Raide said:
Of all the things I hate about modern gaming, it is the fascination some people have with checking pixels.

Honestly, who really cares? I trust in gameplay, not static screenshots. Yes it looks like someone in PR made a bit old mistake just sticking a HUD over an older shot. Personally, I don't care about PR, I care about games. Get the game out, let people play it and if the lack of p's are too much for people, then they can stop playing.

I am in the Remedy room and I am "For" the game. :lol
Just a quick point - it's common for games to render in sub-HD but have an HD HUD...so they didn't necessarily add a 720p HUD to an image.

deepbrown

WickedLaharl said:

But this...THIS is absurd. What if the game - the actual GAME, its gameplay and story is excellent? The res is enough to stop a pre-order? Really? Give me a break.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
...but they betrayed him, how can he get over something like this and play the game?
There's no going back.

Canova

Banned
NIGHT- said:
Another Alan Wake thread straight down the hole....

What? The only bad ones were MGS4 backlash and Heavy Rain( Which is terrible anyways)

Every other PS3 thread is just filled with GIFS and YEAR OF THE PS3 quotes.

well consider the last 4 PS3 exclusives are GOW3, Heavy Rain, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2, can you blame them thumping their chest?

So... I wanna get caught up here.

Remedy says game is 720p 4xaa...

first 20 minutes of the game is leaked, from a relatively unknown source with unknown equipment...

Someone does a pixel count on said video and says that it's not 720p...

alan wake community manager posts this
http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=68521&postcount=10
which explains the video capture device is using a 960x540 resolution...

people ignore this and continue speculating the resolution...

a couple two month old images appear with a hud included, people claim that alan wake images are faked...

Remedy didn't officially release these images and the actual source is yet again unknown...

people continue to blame remedy, calling them deceitful, without doing fact checking...

That about cover it?

burgerdog

Snuggler said:
...but they betrayed him, how can he get over something like this and play the game?
There's no going back.

Only reason I thought it was 720p 4xaa is because that's all Jtyettis says in every Alan Wake thread. Off with his head, god dammit!

Shurs

Dabanton said:
So let me get this straight. You cancel the game because of 'deceit' but you're still going to rent it, get it used or wait for a pricedrop if you had any real guts after your cancellation you would just ignore the game altogether.

I mean they have deceived you.

If he rents the game, or buys it used, then he doesn't reward the developer.

modulaire

Remedy should release "real" screenshots or a short video to end this madness :lol

but I guess people will find reasons to complain anyway.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
les papillons sexuels said:
The guy didn't use pixel count on a video. He did a pixel count on screenshots made from gameplay scenes, where you see a 720p HUD overlayed on top of lower resolution looking gameplay graphics. I think that unless that website went to great lengths to photoshop so many deceiving screenshots, Quaz51 did his counting correctly again. I also think people should not be so upset about this.

image-8C35_4BCA1D65.jpg

Remember when I said I thought this game looked great? Well, you lied!

S1kkZ

Lord Error said:
The guy didn't use pixel count on a video. He did a pixel count on screenshots made from gameplay scenes, where you see a 720p HUD overlayed on top of lower resolution looking gameplay graphics.
but where did the pics come from? from that german site? they faked screenshots of dantes inferno 360 to make the ps3 version look better...

Lord Error said:
The guy didn't use pixel count on a video. He did a pixel count on screenshots made from gameplay scenes, where you see a 720p HUD overlayed on top of lower resolution looking gameplay graphics. I think that unless that website went to great lengths to photoshop so many deceiving screenshots, Quaz51 did his counting correctly again. I also think people should not be so upset about this.

and where did the screenshot he used come from? Was the hud overlay added later? was it a screenshot officially released by remedy or or microsoft?

there's a lot of if's and unknowns with regards to this pixel count.

deepbrown

first 20 minutes of the game is leaked, from a relatively unknown source with unknown equipment...

a couple two month old images appear with a hud included, people claim that alan wake images are faked...

Remedy didn't officially release these images and the actual source is yet again unknown...

people continue to blame remedy, calling them deceitful, without doing fact checking...

That about cover it?

I don't think you understand - it doesn't matter what resolution the video was. It just has to be clear enough to count the native pixels. The resolution of the video has nothing to do with the native resolution of the game. So basically what's being said is that the community manager doesn't know what he's talking about.

That about cover it?

No.

brain stew, get off your high tower and get that sand out of your lady place. If those Finns say it's in 720p with 4x MSAA i'll take their word for it. Wait till the game comes out then start the PC hate machine.
Where the FUCK is my fucking PC VERSION MICRO$OFT

Risette

A Good Citizen
I think people aren't understanding why those bits are 500x zoomed. It's not for the sake of "OH MAN THIS LOOKS NO GOOD LEMME ZOOM IN"; it's zooming in on the angled aliasing steps so they can accurately count the amount of pixels per step to determine the resolution.

Apath

NIGHT- said:
:lol :lol
I can understand happening to like God of War, Massive Action Game, Heavy Rain, and Final Fantasy XIII -- no really. This is a gamer's enthusiast forum, all those titles are solid, and they are all recent releases. What bugs me though is when someone who apparently likes such a wide range and variety of games (button mashing action game, massive online first person shooter, stream lined RPG, and a... adventure game/narrative/movie game?) and STILL cannot find a few 360 games they like.

I am not saying any one in this thread feels that way, but I have been noticing a few people lately who a) claim they don't have any reason to get a 360 because the games don't appeal to them while b) liking every recent PS3 exclusive release -- which is extremely diverse and covers a multitude of genres.

Happens on both sides too, but yeah. Sorry, for the rant :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how many 360 games run at native 720p resolution anyway? Aren't most of them sub-720p? So why does this make a difference? :l

Apath

Dogenzaka said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how many 360 games run at native 720p resolution anyway? Aren't most of them sub-720p? So why does this make a difference? :l
The issue appears, to me, in the deception of full-720p rather than the lack of full HD resolution. Except for people like brain_ -- tech enthusiasts who probably shouldn't be looking to the 360 for technical show cases anyways.

S1kkZ

Dogenzaka said:
guess the gears 3 thread was just the beginning huh?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Kenak said:
The issue appears, to me, in the deception of full-720p rather than the lack of full HD resolution. Except for people like brain_ -- tech enthusiasts who probably shouldn't be looking to the 360 for technical show cases anyways.

In that case don't all devs lie when they say "look at my game it has 720p/1080i/1080p" when in reality it runs at like 540p or something? I mean I kind of didn't expect this game to natively run at 720p anyway.

The deceit is understandably upsetting, but I thought it was predictable xD

guess the gears 3 thread was just the beginning huh?

Just try me. What are you trying to say?

Feindflug

Dogenzaka said:

WTF is this BS? most of 360's games sub-HD? seriously? :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
Feindflug said:
WTF is this BS? most of 360's games sub-HD? seriously? :lol

Err, that's what I thought. In fact I thought most console devs' native reses were at sub 720p and then upscaled.

Like not even God of War 3, for example, is at native 720p, is it?

I'm happy that this thread reinforces my opinion about GAF. The thread is proof that there is NO LEAN, SPIN, OR FAVORITISM ON GAF WHAT SO EVER. Every console gets the same crap, every game gets the same retarded treatment, it's all the same and I love it. The only whack jobs here and people commenting about 'not fair' this and 'BLANK games are always trolled'. I sat through this shit for games I loved and games I hated all the same. The kind of nitpicky, whiney shit went down for GTA4, Halo 3, DMC 4, SMG and countless other games.

We are all the same fucked up GAF community. It's all or nothing, so please get over your anger. Anger at pixel counters, 'trolls', defense forces, fuck it all. There I just set everyone straight and now we can move it together...:D

Top Bottom