• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake - The First 12 Minutes (German)

derFeef

Shogun PaiN said:
I see your point but what strikes me as odd is that when the videos initially appeared I don't recall anybody mentioning the resolution. The videos to me at least looked pretty crisp but since the pixel count was posted up there suddenly seems to be a lot of posters claiming its going to directly affect their Alan Wake experience if the game isn't 720p native.
Indeed. Also - the first ten minutes video looked a lot sharper then those screenshots/caps. Would love to hear Blim's opinion on this, as he saw the game 1:1.

Shogun PaiN said:
I see your point but what strikes me as odd is that when the videos initially appeared I don't recall anybody mentioning the resolution. The videos to me at least looked pretty crisp but since the pixel count was posted up there suddenly seems to be a lot of posters claiming its going to directly affect their Alan Wake experience if the game isn't 720p native.

I haven't even watched the videos yet but people are just used to internet video coming with a huge host of quality compromises that its quite easy to brush off any blurriness or lack of detail to be down to the video capture. Its a real shitty way to judge image quality,

brain_stew said:
Technically dissecting game engines, seeing how lighting/physics systems interact, discovering and understanding compromises made by developers and seeing the performance characteristics of engines on various hardware is a huge part of the fun for me. And so is producing the absolute best image I can and tweaking things when and where I can. Its part of the hobby for me, it may not be for you. That some people have different priorities, preferences and quirks shouldn't really surprise anyone
You don't need to justify your thinking to me. I know you're addicted to metrics and the technical side of how the image came to be. I don't value that shit so much when I'm playing a game, but I do value it...just with my own sense of proper priority. Anyway, I'm just responding to the quoted in that post...that there are people who let a little information ruin their chance to simply enjoy themselves and the game...that one's disposition during gameplay apart from what is generated from the experience itself is a large part of how and whether people can enjoy the game or not.

Canova

Banned
well the thread backfired. supposed to showcase Alan Wake, but....

anyway, I'm more interested if we can do melee run in this game

ShogunX

burgerdog said:
Is this image 720p or a crazy ass res downsampled to 720p?

I'm still buying the game, of course, but it's rather disappointing after all the 720p 4xaa shit we've been fed.

Is the second image taken directly from the game or from the video though? For instance this shot looks a hell of a lot more defined than that second image -

2132412615_full.jpg

I guess the only way we are going to find out is when people get their hands on the actual game.

canova said:
well the thread backfired. supposed to showcase Alan Wake, but....

anyway, I'm more interested if we can do melee run in this game

Its not a backfire at all considering the fact that if you actually watched the videos there's no way you can come away not impressed by the games visuals. The game in motion in the videos at least looks like everything they have promised.......Its just this pixel count that has stirred up a few people.

Schrade

burgerdog said:
Is this image 720p or a crazy ass res downsampled to 720p?

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/9/6/4/9/2/1/AlanWake_07_BrightFallsBay2_720p.png.jpg

vs

http://www.abload.de/img/bildinoriginalgre-2010dui1.jpg

I'm still buying the game, of course, but it's rather disappointing after all the 720p 4xaa shit we've been fed.
It could be that the first one is just from a cutscene rendered in much higher resolution and then the second one is from gameplay.

People need to stop talking about the 960x540 video as though that was the source they pixel counted from. Come on, these guys have been doing this stuff for a long time now. They wait until they have a definitive source for counting then they proceed. Those 720p screenshots were their source, not the videos.

If you want to see more of the 720p screenshots, you can see them all here: http://www.andriasang.com/e/galleries/2010/04/16/alan_wake/

ShogunX

Schrade said:
It could be that the first one is just from a cutscene rendered in much higher resolution and then the second one is from gameplay.

People need to stop talking about the 960x540 video as though that was the source they pixel counted from. Come on, these guys have been doing this stuff for a long time now. They wait until they have a definitive source for counting then they proceed. Those 720p screenshots were their source, not the videos.

If you want to see more of the 720p screenshots, you can see them all here: http://www.andriasang.com/e/galleries/2010/04/16/alan_wake/

But the shots that have been posted up detailing the pixel count are from the video though. They are not the same screens as on the Andria Sang website.

Unless of course whats been posted on gaf a few pages back is only a segment of the count.

nilam01

Banned
I'm kinda dissapointed with remedy, if they would have just told the truth instead of claiming 720p with 4xAA all of this could have been avoided. Still getting the game though.

Only on gaf can a game that is so glaringly impressive visually receive so much scrutiny and hate on its visuals.

360-exclusive threads continue to be the best ignore list bait.

deepbrown

abacab driver said:
Only on gaf can a game that is so glaringly impressive visually receive so much scrutiny and hate on its visuals.

360-exclusive threads continue to be the best ignore list bait.
Change that to ANY exclusive thread. PS3 ones are just as bad.

The resolution has to be due to the game's brilliant lighting and getting through that 10mb EDRAM

NIGHT-

Another Alan Wake thread straight down the hole....

deepbrown said:
Change that to ANY exclusive thread. PS3 ones are just as bad.

The resolution has to be due to the game's brilliant lighting and getting through that 10mb EDRAM

What? The only bad ones were MGS4 backlash and Heavy Rain( Which is terrible anyways)

Every other PS3 thread is just filled with GIFS and YEAR OF THE PS3 quotes.

charsace

I love GAF gaming side. Heavenly Sword got tons of hype with every thread being big and if you questioned it in any way you were called a troll and would get at least a day ban. Wake is coming from a dev with a proven track record and people and it gets little attention and a ton of trolls because its an xbox game.

Schrade

Shogun PaiN said:
But the shots that have been posted up detailing the pixel count are from the video though. They are not the same screens as on the Andria Sang website.

Unless of course whats been posted on gaf a few pages back is only a segment of the count.
No they aren't. They're separate from the video. The video wasn't compressed very well so had lots of detail loss and had a resolution of 960x540. Keep in mind that when most sites take screenshots, they take those screenshots using the raw video source BEFORE video compression.

This scene right here doesn't happen from the same angle/position in the second video so it's not sourced from that video. Plus, the video has an overlay in the upper right hand corner that says:

VIDEOGAMES
ZONE.de

a0037809_4bc9115b3403f.jpg

ShogunX

Schrade said:
No they aren't. They're separate from the video. The video wasn't compressed very well so had lots of detail loss and had a resolution of 960x540. Keep in mind that when most sites take screenshots, they take those screenshots using the raw video source BEFORE video compression.

This scene right here doesn't happen from the same angle/position in the second video so it's not sourced from that video. Plus, the video has an overlay in the upper right hand corner that says:

VIDEOGAMES
ZONE.de

I see. I didn't watch the second video right through as I didn't want to spoil the game. If these screen are not from the video though where exactly are they from?

As for the overlay was that present in every video as there where a few knocking about. ALSO wasn't there two versions of the videos? One German - One English? Might explain the different view point.

Guess we shall see what happens when the game is released.

shinnn

nilam01 said:
I'm kinda dissapointed with remedy, if they would have just told the truth instead of claiming 720p with 4xAA all of this could have been avoided. Still getting the game though.
Remedy dev never mentioned 720p 4xAA.. he only mentioned 4xAA.

Proelite

shinnn said:
Remedy dev never mentioned 720p 4xAA.. he only mentioned 4xAA.

If 720p was never mentioned, then I don't see what the argument's about. I did rather take 4 x AA over higher resolution any day. COD4 looks so crisp at 600p with 2xAA.

Had Remedy promised 720p with 4xAA, then they FAILED HARD.

Azerach

Banned
Proelite said:
If 720p was never mentioned, then I don't see what the argument's about. I did rather take 4 x AA over higher resolution any day. COD4 looks so crisp at 600p with 2 x AA.

Had Remedy promised 720p with 4xAA, then they FAILED HARD.
:lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
As someone who's played through the 540p version of Ghostbusters (PS3), I'll say this- the game looks pretty damn bad at first but you adjust to it to the point where it doesn't affect you all that much later in the game.

It's unfortunate and mars the visuals quite a bit, but it's not that bad.

shinnn

lherre said:
ADM is the community manager who said 720p

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=68521&postcount=10

and MarkusRMD is the development director, he said 720p here

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=67334&postcount=595

We can't assume this as a native resolution talk. He is talking about resolution support.

The first talk about 4xAA was here (by samivRMD)

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=60352&postcount=18
http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=60352&postcount=23
http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=60357&postcount=26

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Who gives a shit about pixels.
The game looks great, I'm going to play it and enjoy myself instead of crying over resolution.

Proelite

Azerach said:

Oh look. It's the guy whose top 5 games are GOW, Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy XIII, Mega Man 10, and MAG. I am pretty sure he is in this thread because he is excited about Alan Wake.

shinnn said:
We can't assume this as a native resolution talk. He is talking about resolution support.

The first talk about 4xAA was here (by samivRMD)

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=60352&postcount=18
http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=60352&postcount=23
http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=60357&postcount=26

Like I said before I'm more concerned with the awful vaseline blur filter but this is bullshit. So the games that upscale to 1080p should be marketed as 1080p games?

Risette

A Good Citizen
fortified_concept said:
Like I said before I'm more concerned with the awful vaseline blur filter but this is bullshit. So the games that upscale to 1080p should be marketed as 1080p games?
The low resolution being upscaled is probably causing the blur.

watership

nilam01 said:

Just like your were disapointed with Bungie in the Halo Reach Beta thread?

Are you on tour?

Azerach

Banned
Proelite said:
Oh look. It's the guy whose top 5 games are GOW, Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy XIII, Mega Man 10, and MAG. I am pretty sure he is in this thread because he is excited about Alan Wake.
I will definitely play through Alan wake and i'm sure AW will deliver a good experience, i'm just antsy because i can't play this on my PC. Will have to loan my friends 360.

Again a case of "you don't champion this game as the next graphics king, you are not eligible to have an opinion" *sigh*

CozMick

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2817bt3.png

i really did just cancel. not gonna support the game, no matter how fun it looks, after all the deceit.

That's some hardcore shit right there, props man
if serious

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't see any difference. Maybe some one can zoom in X500 on that so we can get a better view of the textures on Alan's ass.

Danielsan

Ooh god, the shit fest that this thread has turned out to be.

Kinda makes me miss the previous generation. No pixel counting, framerate and texture analyses bullshit. The game either looked good or not.

shinnn

fortified_concept said:
he's not marketing the game as 720p (native resolution).. he's talking to a "mainstream" audience. And yes, you expect the game will be marketed as a 547p in the box? lol.

The only one saying bullshit is the ADM guy. Probably because he don't even know that are games with those strange native resolutions.

Ploid 3.0

WickedLaharl said:
i really did just cancel. not gonna support the game, no matter how fun it looks, after all the deceit.[/spoiler]

If you're serious and didn't just cancel to change to release day shipping, the game really do support 720p. The dev didn't lie. I cancel orders on Amazon all the time to change something that can't be changed in the normal way. It's easy to do :)

Schrade

Snuggler said:
I don't see any difference. Maybe some one can zoom in X500 on that so we can get a better view of the textures on Alan's ass.
The difference is not that there's supposed to be a difference.

You're supposed to recognize that an old, downscaled screenshot of "gameplay" from a year ago has been overlaid with Japanese text/HUD.

Now, try to explain how someone can match the exact same frame/spot in the game now....to a shot that was taken a year ago.

That fucking picture of the pipe with the section magnfied is the most pathetic thing I've seen in recent memory. "SEE? CAN'T YOU SEE? THIS DOESN'T ACTUALLY LOOK GOOD. HERE, LET ME SHOW YOU"

Blimblim

The Inside Track
derFeef said:
Indeed. Also - the first ten minutes video looked a lot sharper then those screenshots/caps. Would love to hear Blim's opinion on this, as he saw the game 1:1.
I'm totally surprised honestly. I was playing on a 42" TV from like less than one meter away, and I could not detect any upconversion, and certainly didn't see any aliasing. That doesn't mean that the game isn't running at 960x547 (and in that case I'm afraid I was one of the people responsible for claiming the game ran at full 720p), but damn it sure fooled me.

CozMick

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
That fucking picture of the pipe with the section magnfied is the most pathetic thing I've seen in recent memory. "SEE? CAN'T YOU SEE? THIS DOESN'T ACTUALLY LOOK GOOD. HERE, LET ME SHOW YOU"

How else do you expect them to get the real native resolution? Listen to the devs? :lol

Top Bottom