• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake - The First 12 Minutes (German)

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
CozMick said:
You think that counts?

I want Beyond3D counting those damn pixels asap. :lol

Dev speak ain't worth the bribe it's printed on.
Are you serious? The pixel counter blew his load early.

you are not serious right?

Proelite

IF Alan Wake is not 720p, we did have to wait till Halo Reach before 360 contends for the graphics crown again. In the meantime, we can maybe try out the game while we wait for the next opportunity.

BeeDog

If this game really is 960x540 (which I still doubt), won't the 4xMSAA still help a lot? In the end, it won't matter that the game's sub-HD. :D

CozMick

Banned
BeeDog said:
If this game really is 960x540 (which I still doubt), won't the 4xMSAA still help a lot? In the end, it won't matter that the game's sub-HD. :D

Have you ever played a PC game @ 800x600 with 6xAA?

God damn it's horrid.

Apath

godhandiscen said:
The 360 scaler scales the game to whatever resolution it needs to in order to make it fit different aspect rations. Is that so hard to understand?

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...-Alan-Wake-runs-at-720p--Confirmed-via-Remedy
derFeef said:
Whats not do understand, the game does 720p and whatever you set on your 360 the game is scaling up or down.
Uh, yeah. That's why I bolded that part as a response to DMPrince. The '?' signified that the wording says he confirmed 720p -- the opposite of making it sound like the game lacked 720p.
Wow people, seriously?
Proelite said:
IF Alan Wake is not 720p, we did have to wait till Halo Reach before 360 contends for the graphics crown again. In the meantime, we can maybe try out the game while we wait for the next opportunity.
Halo Reach looks great, but it will not be competing for any crown unless you mean on the technical side. Halo Reach will have split screen campaign and four player split screen multiplayer. Not to mention huge open areas with a ton of enemies on screen. It just can't be compared to smaller scale games, let alone non-split screen titles or titles that lack a multiplayer component.

longdi said:
This is like the FF13 sub HD saga of 2 months ago. :lol

Watch from the 5:10 mark, the furniture have too many stairs stepping effects for 4XMSAA.

burgerdog said:
FF13, Splinter Cell, and Alan Wake(assuming it really is sub-hd), what the hell is going on with 360 titles as of late? Those are all huge titles that should be 720p native.

The Faceless Master said:
wow, so it's not even HD?

damn, first there's no PC version, then this...

FuttBuck said:
Yikes, 5 years in the making and they couldn't even manage 720p or no screen tearing? =/

It still looks absolutely fantastic, just like Conviction so I don't mind, just disappointing in principle.

MCD said:
REMEDY LIED

23s7t3p.gif

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Kenak said:
Wow people, seriously?

Halo Reach looks great, but it will not be competing for any crown unless you mean on the technical side. Halo Reach will have split screen campaign and four player split screen multiplayer. Not to mention huge open areas with a ton of enemies on screen. It just can't be compared to smaller scale games, let alone non-split screen titles or titles that lack a multiplayer component.
Sorry. Its just that the thread became a flaming turd. I am out.

bj00rn_

Banned
Fuck you vocal minority gaf! Your downplaying is sad and futile. While you sit there with those painful sour grapes stuck up your ass, I'll be in my couch with a boner enjoying the hell out of Alan Wake.

(That just was not literal btw, don't get your panties in a bunch)

I can't watch more Alan Wake media BTW, if I watch more now I'll destroy the gaming experience for myself. I need a media blackout...

Prine

Banned
Makes me grateful that I find such issues as trivial and over-scrupulous. And what remains is potentially an incredible experience.

I was not phased by Mass Effect issues that you people badgered on about aswell.

pmj

This wouldn't be the first time a developer has spread misinformation about the resolution of their game, either due to misunderstanding how their own game works or plain lies. On the other hand, pixel counters such as MazingerDUDE and Quaz51 have a track record of being correct about these things.

There's no reason to take Remedy's word on this. If they really want to debunk this claim they could easily do so by releasing honest, non-bullshot screens from the game. That won't happen though.

duk

Banned
geezus u guys are hilarious, i wonder why videogames exists sometimes, maybe for u guys to get all riled up

bj00rn_

Banned
pmj said:
This wouldn't be the first time a developer has spread misinformation about the resolution of their game, either due to misunderstanding how their own game works or plain lies. On the other hand, pixel counters such as MazingerDUDE and Quaz51 have a track record of being correct about these things.

There's no reason to take Remedy's word on this. If they really want to debunk this claim they could easily do so by releasing honest, non-bullshot screens from the game. That won't happen though.

FOR FUCKS SAKE! :lol

Pooya

it's about the same as battles in Star Ocean 4 but with AA then, not sure if I can handle it but there is no alternative, is there? :|.

skyfinch

Not only did throw my Xbox 360 away, but I went down to EB games and beat the living shit out of the dude who sold me it. Next stop, Remedy's HQ.

miladesn said:
it's about the same as battles in Star Ocean 4 but with AA then, not sure if I can handle it but there is no alternative, is there? :|.

Comparing it to SO4 battles is unfair because SO4 looked like shit with or without 720p. My problem with the new screens and videos isn't the resolution so much as the disgusting vaseline Gears of War style backround blur that isn't suitable with the art of the game at all.

Man

burgerdog said:
FF13, Splinter Cell, and Alan Wake(assuming it really is sub-hd), what the hell is going on with 360 titles as of late? Those are all huge titles that should be 720p native.
You can add Halo Reach to that list.

pmj

derFeef said:
What denial exactly?
A curious question for you to ask, as you have multiple posts stating that it's 720p because you don't understand how video resolution changes counting of stair steps to determine resolution (it doesn't) and just because Remedy said so.

Go ahead a check the previous page for many more examples.

nilam01

Banned
Actually I'm kind of happy this thing happened, alan wake is finally getting some attention everywhere. Even if it's bad attention it's still better than nothing.

miladesn said:

It's not about the same it's a lot better, SO4 was like 476p or something without AA, conviction looked fine to me, and AW looks a lot better than conviction, that is if this is finally confirmed...

derFeef

pmj said:
A curious question for you to ask, as you have multiple posts stating that it's 720p because you don't understand how video resolution changes counting of stair steps to determine resolution (it doesn't) and just because Remedy said so.

Go ahead a check the previous page for many more examples.
Yep sorry I am too dumb. My assumption was that if i set my xbox to a certain resolution (540p), the game outputs this resolution.

NIGHT-

Van Owen said:
I wish they were releasing a PC version so I could laugh at everyone in this thread. :(

I got banned for doing this in the MGS PW thread, but it seems like everyone gets a free ride in this thread.

S1kkZ

NIGHT- said:
I got banned for doing this in the MGS PW thread, but it seems like everyone gets a free ride in this thread.
because this is a thread about a ms game. if alan wake would be a ps3 exclusive, half of the posters here would be banned.

Apath

NIGHT- said:
MGS kind of has a deep history with port begging and derailment because of it. Though Alan Wake is a hot contender for the title of top port begging if there ever was one.

Oh my. Are there seriously going to be people who will be turned away from purchase solely on the basis that the game may not be 720p native? Even coming at it from the perspective of a graphics whore who might value resolution so highly, Alan Wake is not your typical console game with your typical graphics quality.

MightyHedgehog said:
Oh my. Are there seriously going to be people who will be turned away from purchase solely on the basis that the game may not be 720p native? Even coming at it from the perspective of a graphics whore who might value resolution so highly, Alan Wake is not your typical console game with your typical graphics quality.

540p is not your "typical" sub HD resolution either. Its pitifully low (almost half 720p resolution) and in vasoline-o-vision territory, try and sugarcoat it all you want but if it wasn't such a big deal why would Remedy and Microsoft go to such lengths to cover it up? If it makes no difference to how the game looks why have they only ever released PC/BS mode media in the past? I never thought 1024x768 would be classed as "high resolution" in 2010 but that's the situation we're in.

MMaRsu said:
Man what happened to this thread? Graphic whores are a sad breed of gamers ..

Expecting acceptable levels of image quality has got nothing at all to do with being a "graphics whore." Why shouldn't people expect excellent graphics anyway? This is/was the big exclusive showcase Xbox 360 title and has been in development for half a decade. If they got completely rid of the tearing maybe people would be able to let it slide but it appears they haven't even done that despite nearly slashing the resolution in half.

2Good4u

Banned
lol, I cannot wait to play this game with or without 720p

Some of you really need to get a life and a girldfriend, you seem to have a lot of pressure.

Apath

brain_stew said:
540p is not your "typical" sub HD resolution either. Its pitifully low (almost half 720p resolution) and in vasoline-o-vision territory, try and sugarcoat it all you want but if it wasn't such a big deal why would Remedy and Microsoft go to such lengths to cover it up? If it makes no difference to how the game looks why have they only ever released PC/BS mode media in the past? I never thought 1024x768 would be classed as "high resolution" in 2010 but that's the situation we're in.
Wouldn't 360p be half of a 720p resolution?

/ignorant

brain_stew said:
Well, I'm wondering why they would tout 720p native if it actually isn't. You'd think they would have been quiet about native resolutions and would've picked their words far more carefully, being 'economical with the truth', if it's true that the game isn't actually what they've said it was. So weird.

Still, the game looks so good to me that I don't care...in fact, I rarely care about the specifics of what's under the hood because all of those specifics are meant to drive the end-effect on-screen...and that's all I'm personally concerned with.

Top Bottom