• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake - The First 12 Minutes (German)

Snuggler said:
What's an explode chicken? Sounds kind of cool.

Chicks that grow rapidly and are ripe to be processed within 3 months. They basically pick and eat grain non stop. Want to eat one, go to a KFC.

MightyHedgehog said:
I would think that people would wait until a relatively trusted third party source and authority on the subject, like Digital Foundry, has weighed in to jump all over Remedy for their damned dirty lies that make the game unplayable and unworthy of a decent review score...

FYI MazingerDUDE is a pixel counter for digital foundry.

WickedLaharl said:
FYI MazingerDUDE is a pixel counter for digital foundry.
I thought that their general method was to have the actual game on-hand and running in their machines to perform their inspection method using their own captures? Was under the assumption that, because this isn't something in a current DF article, this was just someone looking at someone else's video capture.

I_D

The devs said those shots are released against the rules. That might mean before an embargo, or it might mean they literally aren't supposed to be shown to the public because they're not the final product.

They've been advertising 720p for quite a while, so I'm willing to believe it until we get more proof.

I find the game gorgeous, regardless of the resolution, and it's still among my top 5 best-looking console games (or, at least, it will be judging from all we've seen).

Though it will be slightly disappointing if it's sub-HD. I was planning on buying an HDTV this summer and using Alan Wake to break it in.

scently

MightyHedgehog said:
I thought that their general method was to have the actual game on-hand and running in their machines to perform their inspection method using their own captures? Was under the assumption that, because this isn't something in a current DF article, this was just someone looking at someone else's video capture.
That is why I am disappointed at what he just did. And for some reason he didn't analyse the previously released videos.

Normally, they wait for official video but somehow its as if he wants the game to be sub-hd.

Anyways the resolution of his analysis is the same resolution of the video so it is better to wait for official analysis from B3D and DF. The developers just stated that the res IS 720p, as such any sub-hd compression is from the site hosting the videos.

modulaire

The devs should release a short video - in the best quality possible.

I can't believe people are judging the game on poorly captured/encoded videos.

Pooya

MazingerDUDE is doing this resolution analysis for a long time and I don't think he is biased or something but using a video like that is immature. I don't think Remedy lies about something like this and throw their reputation and credibility out of the window, it's not something you can hide.
@MazingerDUDE did you see the Japanese shots that have HUD on them can you analyze those?
2132412619_full.jpg

burgerdog

AgentOtaku said:
Woke this morning and uh oh, I see a scandle is upon us :lol

Haha, I read up to the 4th page today and then backed out of the thread only to come back about 10 seconds later. I was not expecting this. At least we'll have an Alan Wake thread with over 1,000 replies now. :lol

Schrade

Love the setting of this. The Pacific Northwest is so damn beautiful. The mountains and trees look really awesome in the two new videos and I love how the flowers and bushes and trees sway in the heavy breeze.

shinnn said:
The lipsync is not the best but the characters are so vivid.. full of emotions.

Really liked it. The last scene with Sarah is top notch.
Yom yom yom!

30t08e9.gif

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Not really fussed what res it is tbh as long as it runs smooth, it has 4xMSAA anyway, I'd rather that than HD and no AA.

The thing I love though and this seems to be the case even with some enthusiasts on here is that they are completely happy with what they see until they are actually told it is sub HD, if you have to be told then why care?

burgerdog

FF13, Splinter Cell, and Alan Wake(assuming it really is sub-hd), what the hell is going on with 360 titles as of late? Those are all huge titles that should be 720p native.

Majora

lowrider007 said:
Not really fussed what res it is tbh as long as it runs smooth, it has 4xMSAA anyway, I'd rather that than HD and no AA.

The thing I love though and this seems to be the case even with some enthusiasts on here is that they are completely happy with what they see until they are actually told it is sub HD, if you have to be told then why care?

Exactly. No-one cared what the res was before they were told, it was all 'looks amazing' and 'great lighting'. Then they have to have it pointed out to them and suddenly it's all 'fuck you Remedy!' If they didn't notice before why do they give a shit now? Pixel counting is one of the most depressing things I generally see on this board to be honest.

longdi

Banned
lowrider007 said:

but it does not look like running smooth, sub 30fps when the action hits and double tearing across the screen. the upscaling makes the 4XMSAA looks too aliased if it is not encoding problems. running a pc game at 720p and 4XMSAA, item edges should not have that many stairs stepping effects. it would be matter on those 40-60" HDTV that so many americans have! at neogaf and avsforums i am still shock at how many own large screen HDTVs! :lol

burgerdog said:
FF13, Splinter Cell, and Alan Wake(assuming it really is sub-hd), what the hell is going on with 360 titles as of late? Those are all huge titles that should be 720p native.

Well said games look quite a bit different to stuff that came out 3 or so years ago, which was very clean and static in comparision. Newer titles got alot of SFX, post-processing, depth of field, etc. and that stuff eats up resources.
A good example is visual differences between Double Agent and Conviction. Same engine essentially too.

duk

Banned
The game is 720p. Those screenshots are based off footage captured at 960x540 like cocorenut pointed out, of course there will be some downsampling involved.

As has said before Videogameszone and Gamepro both released footage without approval and due to the fact that we don't know how many compressions their videos went through or what process they took it's best not to use those videos as sources.

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=68521&postcount=10

longdi

Banned
This is like the FF13 sub HD saga of 2 months ago. :lol

Watch from the 5:10 mark, the furniture have too many stairs stepping effects for 4XMSAA.

iceatcs

longdi said:
This is like the FF13 sub HD saga of 2 months ago. :lol
It's like a deja vu. Even same pixelcounter and Square's comment on video gradfeed.

But it is still good looking game, luckily there is no other platform version to compare.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
here's another quote from remedy's MarkusRMD

But we really don't and can't control the resolutions in Alan Wake. We're just pushing 16:9 720p out and the Xbox360 OS handles the rest. The game doesn't even know whether you're connected with HDMI, VGA, Component, Composite and whatever rez you set your 360 to.

http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.php?p=67334&postcount=595

hope that clears things up a bit ..

derFeef

Good morning - so ITT we hate on Alan Wake? Wow, I have no words. And even the dude from DF is adding some fuel. Good work GAF.

adamsapple

derFeef said:
Good morning - so ITT we hate on Alan Wake? Wow, I have no words. And even the dude from DF is adding some fuel. Good work GAF.

and in other news, the sun rose up today.

derFeef

chandoog said:
and in other news, the sun rose up today.
Yeah well it makes me sad and angry. Someone who is working in the industiry should know that you can no start pixelcounting on a obviously bad encoded video. Ridiculous.

i'm sure it will be a great game and i can't wait to play it but presentation is part of the experience and if there is visual flaws like sub-hd and screen tearing then i'm gonna let my disappointment be known.

i'm praying for a miracle here that mazingerdude jumped the gun and is wrong (sorry man!).

Jigsaw said:
so bioshock 1 ps3 is 720p then?

Bioshock is developed by Remedy now ? Also, I thought that Bioshock PS3 was upgraded to native 720p after the patch ?

Anyway, there's a lot of other videos out there, why this dude actually chose the one that is supposed to be low-res ? Why not trying counting on a 720p video ? ;)

adamsapple

LordPhoque said:
I don't see why a community manager would lie about the native resolution. Get over it haters.

ADM is the community manager who said 720p

and MarkusRMD is the development director, he said 720p here

So it's not just the manager now, if this actually does turn out to be sub HD than this is the developers lying to us too, but then again it's very much likely that the sub HD thing is in-fact attributed to the shitty video and the actual game will not be sub HD.

derFeef

WickedLaharl said:
i'm sure it will be a great game and i can't wait to play it but presentation is part of the experience and if there is visual flaws like sub-hd and screen tearing then i'm gonna let my disappointment be known.

i'm praying for a miracle here that mazingerdude jumped the gun and is wrong (sorry man!).

What miracle, it´s quite obvious. I am very disappointed bcause I thought DF is trusted and unbiased.

Jigsaw

Banned
chandoog said:
ADM is the community manager who said 720p

and MarkusRMD is the development director, he said 720p here

So it's not just the manager now, if this actually does turn out to be sub HD than this is the developers lying to us too, but then again it's very much likely that the sub HD thing is in-fact attributed to the shitty video and the actual game will not be sub HD.

why the fuck would they capture a video in 720p,downsample it to 547p and upscale it again to 720p,that makes no sense at all

Feindflug

LordPhoque said:
I don't see why a community manager would lie about the native resolution. Get over it haters.

Lying is stupid and makes no sense because there are a lot of people that will pixel-count the game once it's in their hands.

To be honest the sub-HD screengrabs look too blurry that it's kinda hard to believe that Remedy will release such a high-profile exclusive game based on a brand new engine running at 960*540 when they have many times said that they are proud about being able to make the game run at 720p w/4xAA.

Of course if it's indeed 540p it will be a very big disappointment mainly because they were lying all this time.

LordPhoque said:
it's a community manager, not a developer. how many of them do you think actually know what the framebuffer is?

i don't think anyone is saying it's a lie, more like someone not really knowing wtf is going on and sticking with what they think they know.

adamsapple

Jigsaw said:
why the fuck would they capture a video in 720p,downsample it to 547p and upscale it again to 720p,that makes no sense at all

Why the fuck indeed .. the ADM guy was pretty adamant that the video should not be considered a proper source in his comment.

Mr_Zombie

scently said:
Yes, yes he is.

Aren't those screenshots from VideoGamesZone.de?

But to be honest, I couldn't care less whether or not the game runs at 720p or 547p or whatever resolution, because it still looks good. And before those pixel-count screenshots show up, lots of people admitted that this is one of the prettiest games this generation. And suddenly there's the whole meltdown about "omg, it's sub-HD? Oh no!!" :lol

However, if the game really runs at 547p, then I would be disappointed at Remedy for lying to us :(.

Top Bottom