• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake - The First 12 Minutes (German)

nilam01

Banned
godhandiscen said:
That was absolute shit. WTF? Remedy said the tearing was gone, and what's up with that gameplay? It must be the silliest intro level in ages.

I have the CE paid off, hopefully this game doesn't dissapoint, but so far its just terrible news.

??? you must be very hard to please. The tearing was very minimal compared to other games out there.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Wow. Want this game now. Amazing vibe, has me wanting to play just to find out this story.

My 360 has been resurrected by the gods of gaming!

Thrakier said:
Hm, will probably buy if the reviews are good. However the animations look kinda silly.

Make up your own mind, and take into consideration that this game has been a long, long, long time coming. It's definitely a labor of love, and I have a feeling that come May 18th, that hard work is gonna pay off by the fuckload.

Thrakier

disappeared said:
Make up your own mind, and take into consideration that this game has been a long, long, long time coming. It's definitely a labor of love, and I have a feeling that come May 18th, that hard work is gonna pay off by the fuckload.

Yeeahhh...no. I'll wait for reviews. Looks nice so far.

Teknoman

Looks like we'll never have another Summer gaming drought again...and i'm not sure if thats a good thing :lol

Hype has returned.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Love the talking tutorial light, that was great!

Looks better than I thought, but nothing I'll actually run out to buy.

For those that watched:
Was it me, or was the guy playing an idiot? Watching him almost get killed when the first Axe man showed up made me question the gameplay, but then I figured it must've been the person playing lacking a basic understanding of whatever the game was telling them to do.

This is a serious question so I hope people don't get hyper-defensive about it: Is this the type of game, like Heavy Rain, that people play in spite of the gameplay? The atmosphere looks good, but I've yet to see any gameplay to get excited about.

Pistolero

+ Amazing lighting.
+ Nice textures.
+ Some very fluid animations.
+ Clever tutorial.
+ Very atmospheric...

- Some cheesy lines.
- Some stiff animations.
- tearing (or is it just youtube...).
- The cinematics look quite a bit better than the gameplay...

This game is going to own !

derFeef

corrosivefrost said:

For those that watched:
Was it me, or was the guy playing an idiot? Watching him almost get killed when the first Axe man showed up made me question the gameplay, but then I figured it must've been the person playing lacking a basic understanding of whatever the game was telling them to do.

Nope.
He rushed through like a littke counterstrike kiddo. If I imagine that almost everyone play like this, I am almost puking.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Pistolero said:
- Some cheesy lines.
- Some stiff animations.
- tearing (or is it just youtube...).
- The cinematics look quite a bit better than the gameplay...

Agree except the tearing. I didn't see any tearing on the youtube video I watched. Have to wait to play the game, I guess. I wouldn't be surprised to see some tearing.

Pistolero

RSTEIN said:
Agree except the tearing. I didn't see any tearing on the youtube video I watched. Have to wait to play the game, I guess. I wouldn't be surprised to see some tearing.

Yeah, might be the video. But man, I can't believe this game is finally around the corner !
Knowing Remedy talent in telling a story, I wouldn't be surprised to see Alan Wake end up being one of the greatest horror titles ever created ! :D
The game is a fabulous looker ; they nailed the atmosphere; fingers crossed for the pacing and gameplay!

It's definitely my PC... o O

hayguyz

Banned
The person playing this really sucked. It reminded me of watching a friend or family member sucking at a game and me wanting to grab the controller away from them.

derFeef

hayguyz said:
The person playing this really sucked. It reminded me of watching a friend or family member sucking at a game and me wanting to grab the controller away from them.
Watch the english one

Dogenzaka

Banned
EagleEyes said:
Well if the corny dialogue and stiff acting in Heavy Rain didn't bother you then it definitely won't in Alan Wake.

To be fair, Heavy Rain didn't have cheesy quotes along the lines of
"Die....die....die.....die" from a freaking TV set
and
THE LIGHT ZOMG THE LIGHT WILL DEFEAT DARKNESS DAAARRKNESSS
but I see your point.

Oh please, the fact that it almost became vaporware has nothing to do with it being good.

Too Human.

Never forget.

Replicant

+ Nice atmosphere.
+ The first part of the video was scary.
- Awful voice acting. Talks like reading a line from a script. "I'm trapped, I have to get out" was delivered like the guy is talking to a friend in a cafe instead of someone in peril.
- Cheesy lines + facial expressions. Goes well with previous point though. The talking light was a bad decision.
- Cheesy tutorial/story. Would rather get the torch+gun via other way than direct story like this especially if it's end up being that cheesy.
- Weird looking walking/running animation. His hands look like it's limp.
- Boring/repetitive enemies just like the ones in "Alone in the Dark". This destroys the disturbing mood that the earlier gameplay have painstakingly created.

derFeef

Replicant said:
+ Nice atmosphere.
- Awful voice acting. Talks like reading a line from a script. "I'm trapped, I have to get out" was delivered like the guy is talking to a friend in a cafe instead of someone in peril.
- Cheesy lines + facial expressions. Goes well with previous point though. The talking light was a bad decision.
- Cheesy tutorial/story. Would rather get the torch+gun via other way than direct story like this especially if it's end up being that cheesy.
- Boring/repetitive enemies just like the ones in "Alone in the Dark". This destroys the disturbing mood that the earlier gameplay have painstakingly created.

Oh god, 12 minutes and already boring enemys? really?

While I'm not going to say one way or the other about the voice acting (since game dialogue writing and acting is so universally spotty), the lack of urgency in his delivery is probably because he's narrating it from a point in the future...he's talking about a dream, or rather, a nightmare that has already occurred. His tense was set at the beginning. In fact, it seems that all of the narration seems to come from the future where he is simply recounting his adventure (and laying out context and more mission guidance and information) to the player.

derFeef said:
Oh god, 12 minutes and already boring enemys? really?
Seriously. It's a tutorial disguised as an introductory dream-sequence and opening cinematic.

Rich Uncle Skeleton said:
This is a serious question so I hope people don't get hyper-defensive about it: Is this the type of game, like Heavy Rain, that people play in spite of the gameplay? The atmosphere looks good, but I've yet to see any gameplay to get excited about.

The story/atmosphere plays a big part in the games appeal, but it's not as completely story focused as something like Heavy Rain.

It all looks pretty solid to me, gameplay wise.

Vamphuntr

The atmosphere looks to be spot on. Everything is really pretty. The game also seems to run very smoothly. From the HUD we saw, it seems we will get many more weapons. There might be some screen tearing or it's youtube compression. Really hyped for it. Will get it day 1.

SPEA

Replicant said:
+ Nice atmosphere.
I'm sorry. You guys are fucking nuts.

Vamphuntr

Replicant said:
+ Nice atmosphere.

Bolded pretty much described Heavy Rain(another game with a big psychological impact) for me and I still enjoyed it much. It's also hard to judge everything on a 12 minutes video. I also don't think you get the gun/flashlight permanently from that sequence.

Was a bit too ready to beat the player over the head with things, in my opinion. The giant flashing tutorial deity bestowing the magic flashlight onto Alan was just... odd. It's not at all subtle, is it?

That said, AMAZING lighting and a thick atmosphere. It's still intriguing enough conceptually for me to be all over it. Plus if I was going to get up the game's ass for lacking subtlety and being cheesy then I'd probably only be able to find one or two "acceptable" games a year.

Azerach

Banned
Overall looked like a fun game, definitely worth a buy from what i've seen.

A couple things bothered me though. One of them was the abundance of rope bridges which just seemed weird, reminded me of super mario galaxies actually. Skimming between points of interest on rope bridges to reduce amount of stuff on screen? Cheap way to get rid of issues with frame rate if you ask me. Didn't fit the overall imagery that well.

Another one was the obvious god ray sending a flashlight and a gun from teh heavens... seriously? That was the best they could come up with in all these years? ... jeez.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Azerach said:
Overall looked like a fun game, definitely worth a buy from what i've seen.

A couple things bothered me though. One of them was the abundance of rope bridges which just seemed weird, reminded me of super mario galaxies actually. Skimming between points of interest on rope bridges to reduce amount of stuff on screen? Cheap way to get rid of issues with frame rate if you ask me. Didn't fit the overall imagery that well.

Another one was the obvious god ray sending a flashlight and a gun from teh heavens... seriously? That was the best they could come up with in all these years? ... jeez.

I thought that was great! That light is probably related to the story, it's not like it will only be in the tutorial, it's probably an entity that interacts with Alan throughout the game.

I like the simplicity of it too; just a talking light.

I_D

The first 12 minutes didn't quite meet my expectations, but it was still very impressive.

I find it kinda funny that they just hit you over the head with stuff right off the bat. Hopefully that means Remedy just wants to get right to the point of enjoying a game, rather than trudging through a tutorial like many games.

nilam01

Banned
Replicant said:
+ Nice atmosphere.

Wow you people really need to try harder

-The voice acting is comparable to heavy rain and is a lot better than some of the games out there. Alan wake is narrating the story, look the term up it might help your ignorance
-Ofcourse it's meant to be cheesy, it's a dreamsequence, if you ever saw what I dreamt you would cringe at the massive amounts of cheese.
-He does get the gun and torch another way, this is only a dream sequence and shows how you're going to use it later in the game.
-The guy is not an action hero, he's just a writer so no he doesn't have a 'cool walk' he's meant to be quirky, clumsy. If you want weird walking animation check out FF13's vanilla character ugh...
-The enemies are not only humans, it's everything, everything in the environment that can move is going to turn against wake, trees, cars, bridges etc...

Oh and for the people that still don't get it.. i'll write in caps

THIS PART IS A DREAMSEQUENCE

Replicant said:
+ Nice atmosphere.

Goddamnit. I was afraid the first 12 minutes were going to be repetitive.

Pistolero said:
Going back to the game sequence, there definitely is tearing. Whenever the camera moves, in fact.
I dunno about all that, but the tearing is definitely present in the game. It's not the video. There were a few times where the camera would pan out to show where you have to go, and then pan back to the player. Perfectly normal for there to be some shaky frames there (the camera is basically traveling across the map), and thus, cause some tearing once it returns to the player.

Oh, and :lol @ Replicant's impressions. I don't think the game looks that amazing either but jeez, dude. It's only the first 12 minutes of the game!

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Man that clip was awesome, makes me want a xbox 360 even more. Hopefully this game does well because if it doesn't....well let's not think about it.

corrosivefrost said:

For those that watched:

Which version did you watch, the german or the English? I got a little more than half-way through, past the cabin section but the English dude didn't get killed. Might've been the player.

geeko

I love Gaffers ability to see the tiniest bit of tearing and turn it into a reason not to own a game. So many drama queens on this site.

Top Bottom