• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alex Jabailey (community manager) leaves Iron Galaxy

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
This is the weirdest thread.

I've known Eric for a long time, and he is not a self-promoter. I would not likely have been his friend or hired him if he was.

He is only known on GAF because of some dubious work by Detective GAF, which was always hilarious and puzzling to us whenever it happened. And we've always been confused how he got on GAF's radar to begin with.

And criticizing him for being too vague in his personal art blog? That's just weird. It's his personal space, not an official PR thing. And if he'd been any more specific, honestly, he'd probably have reprimanded. Especially working at Retro - I made a joke about them working on a Nintendo IP once in a FB comment and he got called in basically for no reason, "just to be sure."

And four years in one place is an eternity in the game's industry. I wish I'd had been able to stay somewhere that long before, you know, opening my own studio.

The fact that he wasn't laid off at the end of a project, which is very common, and instead chose to leave because he wanted to pursue new creative opportunities speaks both to his value as an employee, and his desire to do new things. AAA can be a real grind, and there's no harm in wanting to switch things up.
Yeah it's a really odd thread. I worked with koz at retro for three years and the attention he got was pretty weird. Though at the time we were just getting into hd development, no one knew what we were working on and detective gaf was in full force. Koz just happened to come from a high profile studio and unlike many people at retro had a public social media presence.

I'm glad he's happy at lab zero, he'll do wonders in a small team. Especially with the chance to engage with the community.

Ravidrath

Koz just happened to come from a high profile studio and unlike many people at retro had a public social media presence.

Actually, when you put it this way, it makes total sense why Detective-GAF singled him out.

Nintendo's repressive social media policies basically make new hires the only possible source of any kind of information, which means conjecture abounds.

zon

Yeah it's a really odd thread. I worked with koz at retro for three yards and the attention he got was pretty weird. Though at the time we were just getting into hd development, no one knew what we were working on and detective gaf was in full force. Koz just happened to come from a high profile studio and unlike many people at retro had a public social media presence.

I'm glad he's happy at lab zero, he'll do wonders in a small team. Especially with the chance to engage with the community.

Now I'm getting mental pictures of you walking next to him for three yards and then leaving.

This is the weirdest thread.

I've known Eric for a long time, and he is not a self-promoter. I would not likely have been his friend or hired him if he was.

He is only known on GAF because of some dubious work by Detective GAF, which was always hilarious and puzzling to us whenever it happened. And we've always been confused how he got on GAF's radar to begin with.

And criticizing him for being too vague in his personal art blog? That's just weird. It's his personal space, not an official PR thing. And if he'd been any more specific, honestly, he'd probably have reprimanded. Especially working at Retro - I made a joke about them working on a Nintendo IP once in a FB comment and he got called in basically for no reason, "just to be sure."

And four years in one place is an eternity in the game's industry. I wish I'd had been able to stay somewhere that long before, you know, opening my own studio.

The fact that he wasn't laid off at the end of a project, which is very common, and instead chose to leave because he wanted to pursue new creative opportunities speaks both to his value as an employee, and his desire to do new things. AAA can be a real grind, and there's no harm in wanting to switch things up.

Yeah it was a weird thread like the dude had a personal grudge against him or something lol. Fortunately, he got shot down pretty quick for it, even when he tried to double down, and got a hilarious shameful tag to go along with it.

Top Bottom