• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alex Trebek’s Angry Standoff With Sony Producers Revealed In Latest Email Leak Reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The realities of shooting episodes back-to-back make re-shoots problematic already, so there needs to be a better reason than Mom wants a consolation prize...maybe, assuming the girl plays well in such a scenario. Good response by Trebek anyway.

Dryk

That's an angry rant?? He even says he is willing to do re-tape if necessary. It sounds pretty direct and to the point.
Yeah this is less about the girl and more about him wishing that his producers would have his back the same way he has theirs

Zee-Row

Banned
Without Trebek the show would be shit to me. Same reason why I can't watch Price is Right with Drew Carey , show died to me when Bob Barker left.

DiscoJer

Damn, I thought he would have at least pulled a knife on someone.

Can you really have an angry standoff without a weapon?

Deadbeat

Banned
Without Trebek the show would be shit to me. Same reason why I can't watch Price is Right with Drew Carey , show died to me when Bob Barker left.
Drew Carey is fine. But Rosie O'Donnell wanted to do it. Imagine her hosting the show. Dear god

This sums up my feelings, exactly. It's ok if the kid cries but maybe the parent should be the one to help and not the stranger who hosts the show. His affection should be a courtesy, not a requirement,

The mom sounds like she doesn't care that Trebek didn't help; she sounds angry that he didn't keep her on, like he should have let her break the rules just cause she was crying.

Seriously, read her last quote.

And I hear she still made $1k.

liquidtmd

Banned
The whole exchange was captured in explosive emails leaked by hackers in the latest Sony media dump, and Radar has all the details.

The smug 'we're loving this leak' tone of this pisses me off more than the content tbh

Bgamer90

Banned

IMO, The Price Is Right is much better with Drew than it was during the last years that Bob Barker was hosting. Better prizes (no shag rugs or grandfather clocks), better presentation/set (modern while still fitting the old school 70s game show look; doesn't look as tacky as when Bob was the host during the '90s/2000s), more focus on the games and the contestants rather than the achievements of the host (e.g.: Bob's 75th year on TV celebration or w/e), and a few other reasons. The '80s episodes of Price Is Right was the peak of Bob Baker's tenure in my opinion.

Anyway, I hate kids week on Jeopardy mainly because I can't stand snobbish kids who act like they are 50 years old; That makes up about 75-80% of the contestants on the show during kids week. The mom in this example sounds exactly like your typical "put a bumper sticker on my car saying my child is an honor roll student" parent; Similar behavior to beauty pageant moms.

rude

Banned
Anyway, I hate kids week on Jeopardy mainly because I can't stand snobbish kids who act like they are 50 years old; That makes up about 75-80% of the contestants on the show during kids week. The mom in this example sounds exactly like your typical "put a bumper sticker on my car saying my child is an honor roll student" parent; Similar behavior to beauty pageant moms.
It's a big problem with kids editions of anything. Masterchef Jr. just ended and several of the kids on that show were cringeworthy.

Contestants agree to the rules before playing. Final Jeopardy requires having a positive balance to wager with, so if you're in the negative of course you can't continue.

BouncyFrag

Sean Connery's reaction to this:
l5a5vyvirgibq8a8fgeo.gif

screw these hackers, I don't give a shit what they post anymore. They could have Leo D on video dressed up as a Nazi and I still wouldn't give em the time of day.

Am I the only one that misread this as Leo's D?

All I picture now is an offensive novelty, period-piece condom.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's a big problem with kids editions of anything. Masterchef Jr. just ended and several of the kids on that show were cringeworthy.

Never watched it but I did see some ads for it and yeah... Very cringeworthy.

I did watch some episodes of Who Wants to be a Millionaire when they had a "Whiz Kid" week and they acted the same way.

Wasn't there a story about Marc Summers losing his shit on some bratty kid on the set of Double Dare?

No, I think you may be mixing in different situations. Marc had to pull back a father from his kid on the Family version of the show because the father was mad that his kid messed up on the obstacle course (didn't win the grand prize -- a brand new car); The father grabbed his kid by their neck and held them up against a wall.

He also recieved messages from parents complaining about their sons/daughters messing up living rooms when making obstacle courses. Marc simply said, "It's not my fault... They are your kids. Take control of them." Marc said multiple times that the kids on the show were easier to deal with than the parents. He enjoyed doing the 2 vs. 2 kids seasons of Double Dare far more than the Family seasons.

Dishwalla

Banned
No, I think you may be mixing in different situations. Marc had to pull back a father from his kid on the Family version of the show because the father was mad that his kid messed up on the obstacle course (didn't win the grand prize -- a brand new car); The father grabbed his kid by their neck and held them up against a wall.

He also recieved messages from parents complaining about their sons/daughters messing up living rooms when making obstacle courses. Marc simply said, "It's not my fault... They are your kids. Take control of them." Marc said multiple times that the kids on the show were easier to deal with than the parents. He enjoyed doing the 2 vs. 2 kids seasons of Double Dare far more than the Family seasons.

Ah, okay. Thanks.

bryehn

Carey kind of sucked at first, but he's really grown into the job.

Also this kid's mom needs to fuck off. Sucks that she lost, but it's not the host's job to console contestants, especially if they're still taping.

Vade

What a spoiled brat, you lost get over it and you want Trebek to do the parenting for you, just get the fuck out.

how did they download 100tb of data. My psn games download slow as molasses. They must have been sitting cozy next to kaz in playstation world for awhile.

Jag

Shows you how crazy Hollywood is, when even a trivia show has drama like this.

The show is still a business. Sounds like the typical BS that happens in every.single.business, Hollywood or not. I don't see the drama.

Some of the kids sure, but they still received some pretty tough criticism on some episodes and while some cried, none of them ran away to their mommy (unless they edited that out of course...)

Aiii

So not worth it
Mom seems to have a serious case of the "everyone's a winner" mentality that seems prevalent in society today.

wildfire

Banned
A bunch of thoughtless people in this thread. I love how a bunch of grown mens' first target is the emotionally developing kid.

Most of you don't even go after the grown adult who made the request in the first place. Only one of you go after the grown adults who wanted to avoid "controversy."

Blame the parents for the kid feeling coddled. Blame the studio execs for being cowards. After that you can blame the kid for crying if you still need to prove you are tough guy :|

Anyway this article was definitely a guilty pleasure for myself.

rjinaz

It's a kid. Kids act irrationally and emotionally especially when under stressful situations like competitions and such. Lol at the people here mocking her or calling her names like brat.

Got to go with Trebek on this one though. The kid reacted like a kid does, sure he could have said something encouraging to her but making him retape the segment is ridiculous just to appease an upset Mother.

Trebeck is a horrible host. Charisma of a turnip. I hate hearing his labored attempts to chat up the contestants. Vanna White would do a better job hosting.

meh.

he's obligated to go console people who lose and cry in corners? gtfo. I'd be different if he laughed at the girl or some shit....but it just sounds like she ran off and he moved on with the taping.

and?

I don't get what happened. Trebek was doing the show, the girl went off, she cried, Trebek then went on to do another episode without first stopping back stage to check on her for some reason? Is that it?

I have the same question. What exactly needed to be retaped? It doesn't sound like Mom was asking for a do-over.

Maybe she ran off stage while the cameras were still rolling, while Trebek informed her that she'd been eliminated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom