• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Algeria 'loses contact with plane'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never really associated "desert area" with inaccessible. Maybe only by land vehicle. You'd think that it'd be easy enough to paradrop some French troops to it or land a helicopter on it.

I think they meant easily accessible to emergency crews. Having to use air transport for everything isn't ideal.

This is just horrible, 2 accident in two days possibly killing 160+ people, 3 over the last week with a possible combined death toll of 360+. This year has not been good for any one at all.

What the fuck is happening with planes this week (And month, dammit)

While i'm not disputing that indeed, flying is still the safest way, you need to account for the amount of people-miles (Or perhaps people-hours) that every travel way does. While cars are still the most dangerous transport method, the blowout statistics mainly come out of the fact that most travelling is done on cars.
At least you have a chance of surviving a car crash. You statistically have zero chance of surviving a plane crash unless it's in a jungle or maybe in the ocean.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
At least you have a chance of surviving a car crash. You statistically have zero chance of surviving a plane crash unless it's in a jungle or maybe in the ocean.

...it's like you didn't even read the last page.

iSb3Jm1VGKPdP.png

CoolOff

I get that there haven't been an abnormal amount of incidents this year (apparently the opposite compared to 2010), but the amount of crashes killing 100+ has to be among the highest ever during a single year? 3 so far, with one killing 60 right in between two of them.

2013: 0
2012: 1
2011: 0
2010: 2
2009: 3
2008: 1

Mentally, I think the three-figured numbers are incredibly powerful.

Are you just making shit up, or do you have actual facts to support this claim?

EDIT: Get 'em, Crab!

Yeah thats not true. The plane that landed in the Hudson was technically a crash, and they all survived. It just depends how many engines are blown out and other factors that can soften the landing. If the plane has any power left to pull up just a bit before impact, that could save lives. If its a complete freefall from 30,000 feet, then his claim is probably right. Just depends on the condition of the plane before crash.

edit: That table has factual information and all, but I don't like how they stopped the data just before 2001. Makes it seem like they had an agenda.

laoni

...it's like you didn't even read the last page.

iSb3Jm1VGKPdP.png

And in the document itself:

Almost 96% of people survive an incident in the air
For a major crash, 46% of the time, 80%+ survive
Crashes where everyone dies are rare, and the outliers

List of Nationals in the plane.

51 French
27 Burkina Faso nationals
8 Lebanese
6 Algerians
5 Canadians
4 Germans
2 Luxemburg nationals
1 Swiss
1 Belgium
1 Egyptian
1 Ukrainian
1 Nigerian
1 Cameroonian
1 Malian

How people can ride planes without any fear is beyond me

How can people drive cars without fear? At least trained professionals fly planes. The only thing between you and death in the car is your own dumb ass and the teeming masses of humanity, a majority of which are dumbasses.

16:29: Pablo Esparza, BBC Mundo

Sources from the National Center for Sexual Education (CENESEX), where Mariela Castro is the director, said to BBC Mundo that she is taking part in an event in Havana.

So she's not dead.

FStop7

Banned
Now this is getting ridiculous, if its an airbus A320 the weather can't bring her down. These are built to handle typhoon type of weather.

Its either a mechanical failure or it was shoot down by someone, the latter is very unlikely since no one in the region have the necessary equipment.

It's never just one thing, it's a chain reaction.

So I guess I was wrong, that's on me. My impression's been tainted by the recent crashes I suppose.

Still, if crashes where all the survivors die are outliers, it's just very odd that this year is filled with outliers.

CTLance

Man, my condolences.

Four Germans, again. We're nothing if not consistent.

There might still be hope that maybe some passengers have survived the crash, depending on the landing. Hope they get emergency services there ASAP.

laoni

How people can ride planes without any fear is beyond me

I've been flying regularly for 15+ years now, and the worst that's ever happened to me has been I hit my head on the roof when we hit an air pocket once, so it's something I've grown up with since I was a child. Driving scares me more, tbh.

Alebrije

When a plane crash there is some kid of side effect in the pilots so you can expect some planes also crash days after the first crash.

It seems this is happening now.

King_Moc

Banned
When a plane crash there is some kid of side effect in the pilots so you can expect some planes also crash days after the first crash.

It seems this is happening now.

This doesn't explain it crashing in mid flight. That's all automated, it just has to remain at 30,000ft and turn very slightly sometimes.

Respect

Terrible news for all involved.

I just heard the news from a co-worker and her next line was:

"Can you say, World War 3?"

I think my mind just boggled trying to comprehend that line of reasoning.

xbhaskarx

what is with plane crashes nowadays. two days ago a 17 year old and his father died when their plane crashed into the pacific ocean. they were trying to beat a round the globe world record:

Indiana teen pilot dies on around-world flight

If he isn't dead the father should be charged with child endangerment.
Just five seconds in this video his teenage kid sprays gasoline all over a pile of equipment... clearly the kid is ready to fly around the world!

FTF

This is just horrible, 2 accident in two days possibly killing 160+ people, 3 over the last week with a possible combined death toll of 360+. This year has not been good for any one at all.

Yup, just horrible. RIP to the deceased and condolences to the families.

But no one was killed going to the moon. How do you define a life threatening accident in either case?

Apollo 1. As for life threatening accidents, I think a severe failure such as the one on the Apollo 13 would qualify. That's the same metric used on those statistics on plane flights, I imagine.

KHarvey16

Apollo 1. As for life threatening accidents, I think a severe failure such as the one on the Apollo 13 would qualify. That's the same metric used on those statistics on plane flights, I imagine.

Apollo 1 wasn't transporting anyone anywhere. And how do you quantify life threatening accidents in regards to automobiles? By the definition used to include Apollo 13 you would need to track car problems and near misses that don't result in injury or death.

Apollo 1 wasn't transporting anyone anywhere. And how do you quantify life threatening accidents in regards to automobiles? By the definition used to include Apollo 13 you would need to track car problems and near misses that don't result in injury or death.

Oh vey, Apollo 1 (even that test flight) was part of the Apollo missions, which is what I was talking about. Besides, even if you move the goalpoast, if I start my car and the engine explodes, it's still a vehicular accidental death.

oatmeal

Banned
I'm waiting to board my plane right now.

They say the best time to fly is immediately after a crash, but when there is a crash every day...

KHarvey16

Oh vey, Apollo 1 (even that test flight) was part of the Apollo missions, which is what I was talking about. Besides, even if you move the goalpoast, if I start my car and the engine explodes, it's still a vehicular accidental death.

But at 0 time travelled your chosen metric is rendered useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom