• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Flim rankings

Morgoth

Banned
Now that a new alien film is almost upon us, lets discuss the amazingly diverse alien film series.
1. ALIEN(1979) - theatrical cut.
My all time favorite film. The set design, the acting, the atmosphere. everything is top notch.
This is the film that made me love the art of film.
2. ALIENS(1986)- 1991 special edition
Where the first film was a haunted house. This one is a roller coaster. It is nonstop from beginning to end. The special edition add the fact Ripley had a daughter who is now dead, It shows more of the colony before finding the derelict. Also the sentry gun scene is pretty damn cool.
3.ALIEN 3 (1992)- Assembly Cut
This film is what happens to be the reason I love this series. Each director doing his own take on a alien film. David Fincher took a much darker different approach to the series. The assembly cut adds much needed character development.
4 Prometheus(2012) Breathtakingly beautiful but the script is lacking. Has some interesting concepts that are not fully fleshed out.
5.Alien Resurrection(1997)-theatrical cut.
Basically the director making a french comedy. Everybody hates it. I like it a lot. Joss Whedon wrote it and you can see the Betty crew is a early version of the crew from firefly. Plus the auriga is the best ship is the series.

I don't consider avp part of the series.Just bad monster movie spin-offs.
So what are your guys ranking and thoughts on the series. Also are you looking forward to covenant?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'm pretty sure your rankings are gonna make up 80% of this thread's responses, which would be a pretty good thing.

Alien >>>>> Aliens >>>> Prometheus >>> Alien: Covenant

And then the rest.

Alien is still superior to everything that has come after it.

TaterTots

Banned
1. Alien
2. Aliens

I have to say, even though Prometheus is set in the universe and tries to show how it all began....I do not consider it a true Alien movie. I never read about the movie and went in cold and was surprised when I discovered it was in the same universe. Maybe that's why I genuinely like it. It was a movie about our creators to me and then dropped that bomb and I was like, wtf?

1. Alien - my favorite film of all time.
2. Aliens - a great action flick
3. Alien 3 - The assembly cut is actually decent until it turns into a mindless action flick.

*huge gulf*

4. Prometheus - A beautiful film that turns into Star Trek V meets Friday the 13th
5. Alien: Resurrection - I'm not at all sure what anyone was thinking making this. A work of madness, no doubt.

*huge gulf*

6. Alien vs. Predator - horrendous
7. Alien vs. Predator: Requiem - even more horrendous.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Release order is also the order from best to worst.

Alien will always be the pinnacle of the series. Perfect in every way.

Alien (theatrical) - The best horror film ever made
Aliens (theatrical) - one of the best action films ever made
>
>
Alien: Covenant - a better Alien 3 than Alien 3
Alien 3 (special edition) - a wounded, broken thing that manages a tonal coherency (and a good ending for Ripley) despite all the fuckery behind the scenes.
>
>
>
Alien: Resurrection - bad parody of Aliens, but a good rough draft for Firefly
Prometheus - a shocking (and shockingly well shot/desgined) waste of potential and energy.
>
The AvP movies - who gives a fuck, fuck 'em.

TaterTots

Banned
Aliens (theatrical) - one of the best action films ever made
>
>
Alien: Covenant - a better Alien 3 than Alien 3
Alien 3 (special edition) - a wounded, broken thing that manages a tonal coherency (and a good ending for Ripley) despite all the fuckery behind the scenes.
>
>
>
Alien: Resurrection - bad parody of Aliens, but a good rough draft for Firefly
Prometheus - a shocking (and shockingly well shot/desgined) waste of potential and energy.
>
The AvP movies - who gives a fuck, fuck 'em.

What? How can you say Alien is the best horror film even made when Chucky exists?

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Is this ranking thread day? Okay.

alien
alien(s)
prometheus
commentaries about alien 3
alien 3
alien with ron perlman

Is their another one? I feel like I'm missing one. Maybe not. I should walk over to my dvd case and check the quadrilogy. Yeah quad is 4. I know that.

BashNasty

Aliens > Alien >>> Alien 3 > Alien Resurrection.

I actually like all four of the films, but Aliens and Alien are masterpieces. Aliens does fairly convincingly take the top spot for me though.

I see no lies detected here.

giphy.gif

Tiiiiiiiired

weeeeeeeak

It's like people want to deprive themselves of the wonderful gifts of Alien 3: Assembly Cut. It's flawed to hell and back, but goddamn if it doesn't have some of the best cinematography and characters in the whole series, plus the GOAT soundtrack in the series.

Wanting Newt and Hicks to live isn't worth this sort of deprivation from quality film aesthetics imo.

boingball

Alien is in my personal Top 10 and by far the best of the bunch. Ripley is badass.

Aliens is a good movie but falls in the bigger is better trap. Having hundreds of aliens diminishes the threat of the aliens. Ripley is still badass though.

Alien^3 goes back to the roots and I like it way more than NoGAF does. And while Ripley has fewer weapons in this movie than in Aliens I think she is more badass than in the previous one.

Alien Resurrection has its moment but also plenty of weaknesses. Ripley is still badass.

Prometheus, well no Ripley.

So
Alien >> Alien^3 > Aliens >> Alien Resurrection > Prometheus

I suspect Covenant will land somewhere around Resurrection (I keep my expectations in check).

Toa TAK

Banned
Alien and Aliens are tied for me. Both are perfection in what kind of movies they are. Best horror and action.

Third is Prometheus.

Then the rest is just 3 and Resurrection. I GUESS if you had to put the awful AvP moves it would be AvP followed by Requiem.

I'd put Alien: Isolation above all of these after Prometheus, though. And that barely has a story.

I guess it's kinda funny everything sorta sucks after Aliens. Nothing in the series has really been able to measure up to two of the best films in their respective genres. It's a tall order for any series, but they fall so far below expectations of the series and are just coming consistently crappy movies.

We'll see where I place Covenant after I see it. But if it's supposed to be better than 3 or Prometheus that's seriously unimpressive.

Alien >>>>prometheus >>>> 3 > 4 >>>>>> Aliens

Aliens is terrible film and suffers from all the issues of the non terminator James Cameroon films

My rankings:

1. Alien (Theatrical Cut) - Tied with Disney's Beauty and the Beast (1991) as my favorite film of all-time.
2. Aliens - Great horror-action film and also one of Cameron's best works imo.

3. Alien 3 (Assembly Cut) - A gorgeously underrated film that happens to be victim to some downright tragic BTS studio fuckery. Weaver's best turn as Ripley as far as I can see, and Elliot Goldenthal's score is one of my all-time faves.
4. Prometheus - A stunningly well-shot film that's carried entirely by Michael Fassbender's acting, due to David being the only remotely likable character in the whole damn film. Also home to one of the most insultingly idiotic casts of characters I've had to see in a movie.

5. Alien: Resurrection - To be fair here, I've only ever seen the film in fragments. I'm meaning to change that sometime over the summer, but what little I've seen of the film just makes me want to shake my head. Hopefully I like it more as a full picture.

6. AvP - Haven't seen this in over a decade, but I just remember thinking even as a kid that it was a pretty bland and weak movie, even by popcorn flick standards.
7. AvP: Requiem - ... Uh... yeah. This one's so bad, it's almost hilarious.

Top Bottom