• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Flim rankings

Timeaisis

Now that Covenant is out I can actually give a final ranking.

Alien > Aliens > Covenant > Prometheus > 3 > Resurrection

Prometheus and 3 are actually pretty much a tie, really, but I think Prometheus is more cohesive and more entertaining.

Is it me or has this been a more recent phenomenon.

I swear there's probably an earlier verison of this poll from either shortly before or shortly after Prometheus coming out and it was waaaay closer to 50/50.

Seems recent to me. I swear 5 years ago Aliens would edge out Alien slightly. I think liking 1 over 2 is just in vogue right now.

Pezking

Alien
Aliens
Prometheus
Alien: Covenant
Alien 3
Alien: Resurrection
Alien vs. Predator
Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

Aliens = Alien
Alien 3
Alien vs. Predator
Prometheus
Alien vs. Predator: Requiem
Alien: Resurrection

The bottom three are cinematic abortions, but hey, gotta count them.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
Alien>Aliens>Alien Resurrection>Prometheus>Alien 3

I quite enjoyed Resurrection. It dared to be weird. Plus the Xenomorph is well represented in it.

I cannot find much of anything to enjoy about Alien 3 at all.

Prometheus had promise and still has some great aspects but it wasted it's potential.

Aliens
Alien
Prometheus
Alien 3
Covenant
Resurrrction

I'm torn on a few selections, namely the top 2. In a way alien deserves to be at the top. It's just such an unsettling movie. I think the original chest burst scene is one of the most unsettling scenes ive ever watched. I don't usually get affected by horror but something about that scene made me super uncomfortable.

On the other hand aliens is just so damn rewatchable. I'd say there are few films I've seen more times than alien.

Overall both are fitting to take the number 1 spot. After that I'm torn which is better between alien 3 and covenant. Need to give the latter more time to settle in my mind.

1 - Alien (Top 3 ever)
1.5 - Alien Isolation
2 - Aliens
3 - Alien 3 Assembly Cut
4 - Prometheus for its fantastic trailer.
5 - The trash fire that is the rest

v0yce

1 - Alien (masterpiece)
2 - Aliens (great)
3 - Prometheus (really good)
4 - Alien 3 (flawed but interesting; good)
5 - Covenant (bit predictable but still entertaining; good)
6 - Resurrection (ugh, the only truly bad Alien film)

The aliens took out 156 colonists and their actions resulted in the death of every single person on the Sulaco (plus Bishop and Newt) some threat huh.

A bunch of deaths that occur offscreen are mostly meaningless in a movie. Sorry, but if you really want to capture the audience and show what a threat a fictional thing is, we need to see it.

Yes, the Marines were killed, but they also blew away dozens of those things.

I'm not saying Aliens was a bad movie. It was really good, in my opinion. But it made the threat posed by the xenomorphs seem less grave.

Again, in my opinion.

Avp is far worse than 3 you've listed below it.
It's definitely a worse made movie than Prometheus, Covenant or even Resurrection but it's also non-canonical spin-off that plays off of nostalgia, uses practical effects and has characters with sensical motivations. Plus, they actually make rational decisions and don't, oh I don't know, remove their helmets on a completely alien planet just because they assume it has breathable atmosphere.

I'd take a million AvPs over another Covenant.

AvP isn't even that poorly made. I mean, it's not a big budget movie and you can tell, but at the same time, you do see every dollar of that $60m budget on the screen. It's got some pretty decent production value in it. Anderson is actually pretty good at making dollars count. I'd feel confident in saying it's a better made film than Resurrection.

It's definitely a worse made movie than Prometheus, Covenant or even Resurrection but it's also non-canonical spin-off that plays off of nostalgia, uses practical effects and has characters with sensical motivations. Plus, they actually make rational decisions and don't, oh I don't know, remove their helmets on a completely alien planet just because they assume it has breathable atmosphere.

Except that they knew it had breathable atmosphere because they scanned the planet and notice that it was far more suitable for life than the planet they were sent for originally, which is why the captain even decided to touch down in the first place.
No wonder you hate the movie when you've got to make up reasons to dislike it.

Except that they knew it had breathable atmosphere because they scanned the planet and notice that it was far more suitable for life than the planet they were sent for originally, which is why the captain even decided to touch down in the first place.
No wonder you hate the movie when you've got to make up reasons to dislike it.
I was talking about Prometheus. If we want to talk about Covenant, I have more than enough ammunition in the magazine to fire some shots at that too.

It's definitely a worse made movie than Prometheus, Covenant or even Resurrection but it's also non-canonical spin-off that plays off of nostalgia, uses practical effects and has characters with sensical motivations.

Plus, they actually make rational decisions and don't, oh I don't know, remove their helmets on a completely alien planet just because they assume it has breathable atmosphere.

I was talking about Prometheus. If we want to talk about Covenant, I have more than enough ammunition in the magazine to fire some shots at that too.

Also if you're going to complain about practical effects at least know there was a ton of practical work done on Covenant, including suits and puppetry, it was just often overlayed with CGI.

Also if you're going to complain about practical effects at least know there was a ton of practical work done on Covenant, including suits and puppetry, it was just often overlayed with CGI.
It's perfectly fine if you like Covenant - I wish I did too.
Unfortunately, for me, everything in the film was a complete and total miss. I know there is a heavy amount of practical effects at play in Covenant but for my money, building a massive practical Queen for AvP was a far more impressive feat than anything Covenant managed to pull off visually.

My point here is that Alien vs. Predator is a shit film, that's a fact. Every entry in the series post Aliens was a shit film. But for me, personally, I'll take a wacky non-canon spin-off with some fun action, cool callbacks and likeable characters over Ridley Scott pulling a George Lucas and bastardizing a classic set of films by changing the franchises focus to an uninteresting android with questionable motivations.

Covenant didn't work for me. I'm glad it worked for other people, really - I wanted nothing more than to leave the theater singing its praises. Instead, I wound up feeling like audiences in '97 must have felt leaving Alien: Resurrection.

Timu

I'll update my ranking once I see Covenant, but:

Alien
Aliens
Prometheus
Alien 3
AvP, AvP Requiem and Alien Resurrection are all such trash.

Timu

Ok, now that I saw Alien Covenant, I'll rate it like this:

Alien
Aliens
Alien Covenant=Prometheus
Alien 3
AvP, AvP Requiem and Alien Resurrection are all such trash.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
So is placing Alien above Aliens some kind of 2017 fad? The latest "cool" thing to do?

SMH

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
How so? Most prefer Alien over Aliens.

?

I wouldn't say most. Maybe 50/50 at best. I've seen way more preference for Aliens over Alien online, this preference for Alien feels recent. There's a whole world beyond neogaf dot com.

J_Viper

Watched Resurrection for the first time today

Man...what a bizarre fucking film

There's not a single conversation that feels like natural dialogue between two people. I've never seen such strange, almost non-human interactions between characters in a movie before.

But the visual style and effects, I actually dug the hell out of.

The dirty metallic color palette, the Xenomorphs, the failed Ripley clones, the scene in the nest, even the silly Hybrid, the visuals were right up my alley. I was legitimately disturbed at the hybrid's death scene. I actually felt sorry for the ridiculous thing. I enjoyed the movie for those aspects alone.

I like the cast, but there really wasn't room for anyone to shine with that script (which is still a better script than Age of Ultron, sorry Joss)

Michael Wincott was cool as fuck, and I wish he wasn't killed off so early.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Is this ranking thread day? Okay.

alien
alien(s)
prometheus
commentaries about alien 3
alien 3
alien with ron perlman

Is their another one? I feel like I'm missing one. Maybe not. I should walk over to my dvd case and check the quadrilogy. Yeah quad is 4. I know that.

Just saw Covenant, by no means official professional ranking list, soo... I think it'll go after commentaries/bts about Alien 3.

It didn't help the theater had mold or something on the projector window, had a weird blue patina pattern on the screen the entire movie. I'm sure most of the people didn't think it a big deal, but eh, it was noticeable.

GhaleonEB

For me these rankings break pretty cleanly across tiers. I think Alien is far and away the best crafted of the series, but Aliens is ridiculously good as well, and a good companion film.

Scott's new films are interesting for several reasons, but being good movies is not among them.

Great Movies (in order of preference)

Alien
Aliens

Not Very Good but Interesting Movies

Prometheus

Garbage (unranked)

Alien 3
Alien Resurrection

enigmatic_alex44

Just kidding.=p

To be honest, you are right, but I think Alien has the slight edge overall when people pick their fave one.

Fair enough :p

My list:

GOAT: Aliens

Great: Alien

Pretty Good: Prometheus

Okay: Covenant

Awful: Resurrection

Why does this exist? Abort it: Alien 3

Toa TAK

Banned
For me these rankings break pretty cleanly across tiers. I think Alien is far and away the best crafted of the series, but Aliens is ridiculously good as well, and a good companion film.

Scott's new films are interesting for several reasons, but being good movies is not among them.

Great Movies (in order of preference)

Alien
Aliens

Not Very Good but Interesting Movies

Prometheus

Garbage (unranked)

Alien 3
Alien Resurrection
This is a great ranking.

Ticoman

Neo Member
1) Aliens 97%
2) Alien 95%
3) Alien 3 (Assembly cut) 86% (Yes, I actually hated this movie at one point, but now I see it as a fitting ending to Ripley's journey.)
4) Prometheus (85%) (Beautiful film, but flawed)
5) Alien Covenant (80%), Great design, strong beginning, weak middle and ending.
6) Alien Resurrection (75%) Liked the score, but hated the campiness of it.
7) Avp (70%) Stupid, but fun movie
8) Avp; R. 55%. Shit.

Madao

since i've rewatched the first 3 and will watch Covenant tomorrow, i'll post my rankings after i get back home tomorrow.

i didn't rewatch Resurrection but i dunno if it would even help the movie. i did watch it when i got the anthology blu-ray 4 years ago. i also haven't rewatched Prometheus recently but the last time i saw it was more recently than Resurrection.

no plans to rewatch the AvP movies. they're so bad i didn't even bother getting them on bluray.

ubique

Alien
Aliens (Theatrical Cut)
Prometheus
Alien 3 + videos of Fincher complaining on set
Alien Resurrection
Covenant

Raziel

Kinda like Star Wars.

Original trilogy - the only movies with any kind of real merit and the only ones you should bother with.

Middle years (Resurrection, AVP, AVPR/ Episode I-III) - trash fires; for only the most dyed-in-the-wool.

Modern years - made with a decent level of craft but creatively bankrupt; watch if you just want to see updated visuals.

Top Bottom