• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Swarm |OT| - Free Co-op Multiplayer from Valve

Lyon

atomsk said:
i'm guessing this is CPU/RAM heavy and i'm not up to snuff

current build is E7400, H5850, 2 gigs ddr2 (waiting on RMA for my 4 gigs, ugh)

when i get the hyper 212+ in the next week i'll OC from 2.8 to 3.5

but really, with everything on the lowest settings i was getting 22-ish FPS

=(
That's just not right, something wrong mate. I've got a e6300 @ 3ghz, 8800 gts 512 and 2gb ram. It runs flawlessly on all high.

bee

of course the download speeds up like 10mins before i need to goto bed :s

very nice little game for free, only played 5 mins but seems like it has real potential, also works really well in 3D except the 2D hud stuff ( please un cheat protect cg_drawhud 0 valve )

atomsk said:
i'm guessing this is CPU/RAM heavy and i'm not up to snuff

current build is E7400, H5850, 2 gigs ddr2 (waiting on RMA for my 4 gigs, ugh)

when i get the hyper 212+ in the next week i'll OC from 2.8 to 3.5

but really, with everything on the lowest settings i was getting 22-ish FPS

=(

Check your AA settings in CCC.

This is everything I wanted it to be so far.

Sooo much fun even playing with a tool like Tyler is Solid Snake! :lol

The visuals are really nice in motion too.

gregor7777 said:
This is everything I wanted it to be so far.

Sooo much fun even playing with a tool like Tyler is Solid Snake! :lol

The visuals are really nice in motion too.

I was able to get past that 3rd part with other people but you guys were just bad.:lol

Archie said:
Game is awesome. Valve could have easily sold it for $20 and it would have been a good deal.

Certainly. I can't speak to the total game length yet but yeah, it's pretty ridiculous that this is free.

Baha

Just played 6 missions back to back online on Hard with some friends and already this game is better than a lot of the downloadable titles I've purchased this generation for $10 on average. Voice chat is great, loading is seamless from lobby to game and it's so much fun. I would've paid for this, *bow* Valve *bow*

Mrbob

Can't wait to play this when I get home.

I believe this game will be another Valve experiment. They will try to monetize something on this title.

Huggy

My dynamic shadowmaps are sometimes missing their blur pass. Can't really complain of course. Maybe this is their new way of testing new tech?

This game run like ASS on my computer. Like, horribly. I have to turn pretty much ever setting down to the lowest just to get 60FPS. On the other hand, I can run TF2 with pretty much everything on the highest setting, and still get 60FPS. Why is this?

Mrbob said:

I believe this game will be another Valve experiment. They will try to monetize something on this title.

I think this is more along the lines of getting people to try out the SDK and using the Source engine.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Mrbob said:

Doubt it. Valve has expressed their dislike of paid-dlc many times.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I join games and spend the next 5 minutes spectating not doing anything

What am i doing wrong?

gregor7777 said:
I think this is more along the lines of getting people to try out the SDK and using the Source engine.

Yep and specifically the Steamworks part of the SDK. Also, it'll get more people signed upto Steam as well making Steamworks even more ubiquitous.

Mr Cola said:

What am i doing wrong?

Not sure.

I couldn't join a game initially so I started my own and everything was fine from then. Perhaps they are having issues with the game finding service.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I have a Packard Bell Easynote TJ68 Specs are:
Intel Dual-Core T4300Pentium Processor 2.1 GHz
Intel GMA 4500M Graphics card of 1244 MB Graphics Memory.4GB DDR2 RAM and 320GB Hard drive.
think I can get this game to play on my laptop ok?

Just ordered the mouse

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
gregor7777 said:
Not sure.

I couldn't join a game initially so I started my own and everything was fine from then. Perhaps they are having issues with the game finding service.
I can find a game it just wont let me take over the bot D: i spec till they die or the rounds over then it goes back to main screen

Baha

Mr Cola said:

What am i doing wrong?

Did you join a lobby or game in progress. In a lobby you have to pick a class in order to play, if you join a game in progress then you have to wait till they go back to lobby before you can pick your class and play.

Mr Cola said:
I can find a game it just wont let me take over the bot D: i spec till they die or the rounds over then it goes back to main screen

Ah, no idea then. Have you tried turning your computer upside down?

Mr Cola

Baha said:
Did you join a lobby or game in progress. In a lobby you have to pick a class in order to play, if you join a game in progress then you have to wait till they go back to lobby before you can pick your class and play.
Is there an option to join lobbies? All i see is join game which when pressed takes me to the aforementioned problem.

Yeah the slow mo stuff where the music starts to jam is pretty cool. :lol

Mr Cola said:
Is there an option to join lobbies? All i see is join game which when pressed takes me to the aforementioned problem.

I think he's saying you need to wait until they are dead or pass the map for you to select your character if you join a game in progress.

Threi

notag
Mr Cola said:
did you try pressing f1,f2,f3 or f4?

that's how you do it in singleplayer but i dunno about online

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Blu_LED said:
This game run like ASS on my computer. Like, horribly. I have to turn pretty much ever setting down to the lowest just to get 60FPS. On the other hand, I can run TF2 with pretty much everything on the highest setting, and still get 60FPS. Why is this?
......*shakes head* I have spent way too much time around geeks and technophiles, my first thought was that ASS was some kind of abbreviation or acronym and I was trying to figure out what it stood for. :lol

Going to boot up into Windows now, start downloading.

Zerokku said:
Doubt it. Valve has expressed their dislike of paid-dlc many times.

I could see a full retail package coming out based on the IP if it takes off, but definitely not DLC..

There are a couple of ways that Valve benefits from this.
1) Increase Steam user base...
2) Show off the versatility of the Source engine to other modders/developers.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man I feel sorry for folks who dropped $15 on Team 17's Alien Breed. This game is sooo much better.

Love love love it, it's just a highly polished, refined version of the UT2K4 mod and that wins so hard.

JambiBum

Stupid servers. Ughh. Let me download.

Edit: Yesssss. Finally. I'll join some gaf games once it's done if anyone is up for it.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Sinatar said:
Man I feel sorry for folks who dropped $15 on Team 17's Alien Breed. This game is sooo much better.

Love love love it, it's just a highly polished, refined version of the UT2K4 mod and that wins so hard.
D'oh

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else having trouble getting the game to start?

I get to the menu, go to start a level and then everything disappears except the background video which just keeps looping.

Teknoman

Not sure if this was answered, but can you do LAN co-op as well? Also how does the in game custom playlist work? Like the music will only kick in where the default tracks would have, or its just constant?

Top Bottom