• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Swarm |OT| - Free Co-op Multiplayer from Valve

wtf is this bullshit pause bull shit! last time i jump server to server. Toronto is fucked Pittsburgh is fucked Philly is fucked. i'm going to take a shower.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Played the first two levels of the first mission (Are there more than one?)

Shit kicks ass. I mean, welding, movable sentries, so good!

Edit:

Petrie said:
Can I use my wired 360 pad for this? This type of game needs a controller.

Why? Move with WSAD aim with mouse works perfectly.

Darklord

Banned
First game I get in the some dickhead is raging that I don't know how to play my class. The game came out a few hours ago.:lol

Sloegr

Darklord said:
First game I get in the some dickhead is raging that I don't know how to play my class. The game came out a few hours ago.:lol

:lol The internet is just so full of charming people.

philly is back up, this thing will finish like at 8 pm blarg and no sc2 beta to play guess i'll go hang myself till the game finish downloading

Proven

Just finished a quick offline mode play. Sucked hard. This type of game isn't exactly my type, but going to run around a bit with a friend. Feel free to join if you can.

farnham said:
even fragile dreams has that option (the english dub of that game is really good though)

I'm going to finally buy a wireless adapter or a wired controller this summer. I'm just more comfy with dual analog, especially after all my play time with Geometry Wars.

Proven

Zzoram said:
Why is this free? Valve making too much money?

At this point I believe Valve makes so much money from licensing fees for Steam, and plan to make more with Steamworks, that all of these free weekends and giveaways for already cheap games are really just used as marketing promotion to get people to download steam, start buying games at a discount, and get sucked in.

Petrie said:
It works, but a controller would work much better, and frankly more precise for actual movement.

Agreed...in this case (top down shooter) you need a bit more precision for movement and a bit less for aiming. Mouse and keyboard isn't the end all be all controller solution just as dual analog isn't.

Belfast

When you're hacking the final terminal, how exactly does that work (the terminal for the flight data, with the 1s and 0s).

Petrie

Banned
Circle of Willis said:
Agreed...in this case (top down shooter) you need a bit more precision for movement and a bit less for aiming. Mouse and keyboard isn't the end all be all controller solution just as dual analog isn't.

Is it possible to use though? I can't find the option.

Teknoman

So about the custom playlist, can you set it to play certain tracks in certain areas? Also could you set up a local network co-op game?

derFeef

Too tired and need to work tomorrow, but game kicks ass. Played the first offline practice only though. Expecting this to be awesome with buddies.

Jim Stark

Neo Member
Belfast said:
When you're hacking the final terminal, how exactly does that work (the terminal for the flight data, with the 1s and 0s).

I'll spoiler tag this incase other people want to figure out on their own:

You want the 1s to line up, so in the second column hit up or down depending on which direction the first column's 1 is. So if the 1 in the first column is above the 1 in the second column you would push it up a few spots until they are in line with each other horizontally. Then do the same with the 3rd and 4th columns to match the first two. The end results should be:

0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0
1 1 1 1
0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0

That kinda thing

Belfast

Jim Stark said:
I'll spoiler tag this incase other people want to figure out on their own:

You want the 1s to line up, so in the second column hit up or down depending on which direction the first column's 1 is.

That's what I thought, but when I got to the last one, it wouldn't respond correctly.

Wow, this is awesome. Much more tactical than I was expecting and really teamwork orientated (Welding, hacking, deploying health, ammo, damage buffs and turrets). You have to watch for friendly fire a lot too. Just played through a few campaign levels online. Being the designated flamethrower on a mission to burn eggs and biomass was so much fun :D

Easy_D

never left the stone age
MNC said:
It's not even developed by Valve IIRC. Mod team that was eventually hired.
Mod team that was hired and worked on the Left 4 Dead games and Portal? I'd say they are Valve enough to consider the game a Valve game, their old modding backgrounds aside.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ferrio said:
No this is someone completely different.

BlackCatGames.

http://www.blackcatgames.com/
Steam said:
Alien Swarm is a game and Source SDK release from a group of talented designers at Valve who were hired from the Mod community.

Hm?

The part about L4D and Portal is gone though, could have sworn it was in the game description.

Edit: To clarify, I'm aware they were porting the mod to the Source engine before they were picked up by Valve.

atomsk

Party Pooper
i'm guessing this is CPU/RAM heavy and i'm not up to snuff

current build is E7400, H5850, 2 gigs ddr2 (waiting on RMA for my 4 gigs, ugh)

when i get the hyper 212+ in the next week i'll OC from 2.8 to 3.5

but really, with everything on the lowest settings i was getting 22-ish FPS

=(

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I am on sodding night shift. and need to find a gamepad, my laptop has a touch pad, lets see if it can run it as well seeing as most DL steam games freakout and dont work

atomsk said:

=(

That doesn't sound right at all....

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
jufonuk said:
I am on sodding night shift. and need to find a gamepad, my laptop has a touch pad, lets see if it can run it as well seeing as most DL steam games freakout and dont work
No, you need to find a mouse. It doesn't support controllers right now.

Also: Game is badass. Going to go on again in a few minutes.

Blizzard

Banned
atomsk said:

=(
2.8 GHz lowest settings gives you 22 fps? D:

Top Bottom