• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens : Colonial Marines - Digital Foundry Face/Off

Recon_NL

Banned
tumblr_l1ybjvV8ma1qzwi58o1_500.gif

I loaded my game mid-level today (usually I start and stop playing at the start and end of each level) and I had a Mass Effect 1 style 10 second wait for the textures to pop in.

PC version.

The next generation wants to get over that trade-off by doing the lighting simulation last after all the physical objects are in place. Not only do you need to add the lighting last, it needs to be a better lighting than it was when we pre-baked it. Zoner found a way of doing it. On Xbox 360 and PS3, we get about 90% of the way there. It obviously looks a lot better when you're playing it on PC, but it turns out the consoles are powerful enough, and all the software's optimal enough because we're so late in the life cycle, to where he found a way and we're fucking doing it.

lol

stryke

If this is all they can achieve on these consoles after 7 years, imagine what they can do on next-gen stuff :D

McLovin

Visually, it's like they found some old ps2/xbox game code from a game that never got released and frantically tried to make it work on ps3/360.

Big gulf in performance that exceeds the resolution discrepancy maybe ?

Screen tearing is far worse than then the occasional frame rate dip.

Xbox version is far worse due to screen tearing everywhere, sub HD, and worse lighting.

It's unbelievable they recommend it over PS3, but this is DF...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Screen tearing is far worse than then the occasional frame rate dip.

Subjective, and it's not occasional, the article makes notable mention of it.

Xbox version is far worse due to screen tearing everywhere, sub HD, and worse lighting.

Subjective, and it's the PS3 version that has less and pared back lighting and lesser light sources.

It's unbelievable they recommend it over PS3, but this is DF...

Surprising it took this long for someone to post that.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I honestly can't remember being more disappointed about a game.

Fuck you Gearbox and your hyperbolic bollox.

Waaghals

Well, apparently the PS3 version has lower quality lightning and a catastrophic frame rate, while the 360 version is Sub-HD and has tearing that will make your eyes bleed.

I'm sure the 360 version is more playable, but this game is such a train wreck that which system wins the technical comparison sort of becomes meaningless.

Ridley327

It'd be one thing if this was trying something intense from a visual standpoint which necessitated downgrades in other departments, but it isn't, so the only explanation for how poor it looks is sheer incompetence. It's absolutely stunning that Sega considered this to be releasable in the condition that it's in.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They're comparing Xbox 360 and PS3 versions but OP seems to have posted Atari Jaguar screen shots.
If this were a Jaguar game it would have been praised to high heaven and looked infinitely better than every single FPS ever made back in the mid-90s.

The Jag:

s_AlienVsPredator_5.jpg

...running at 10-15 fps. Yoohoo!

tmarques

I'm sure the 360 version is more playable, but this game is such a train wreck that which system wins the technical comparison sort of becomes meaningless.

It's actually kind of funny to see people fight over who got the less crappy version.

I hope this doesn't mean the franchise gets buried and forgotten for another decade. So much potential.

It's actually kind of funny to see people fight over who got the less crappy version.

I hope this doesn't mean the franchise gets buried and forgotten for another decade. So much potential.
I hope they give the franchise to a competent developer instead of shelving it. There's so much potential for a good game that's just wasted.

Makes me disappointed that they cancelled Obsidians Aliens RPG, it couldn't have been any worse than this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I just loathe the fact that this game has the prestige of being considered the official sequel to Aliens. When non-gamers look this up, they'll judge the entire gaming phenomenon based on this piece of shit game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I loaded my game mid-level today (usually I start and stop playing at the start and end of each level) and I had a Mass Effect 1 style 10 second wait for the textures to pop in.

PC version.

:blip: Hudson: I got textures. I got readings, in front and behind.
:blip: Frost: Where, man? I don't see shit.
:blip blip: Hicks: He's right. There's nothin' back here.
:blip blip blip: Hudson: Look, I'm telling ya, there's somethin' movin' and it ain't us! Tracker's off scale, man. They're all around us, man. Jesus!

Top Bottom