• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

I love the Aliens universe sooo bad but I am getting a bad feeling about this game. We should have put Glen Schofield in charge.

Still a crappy OT? OP still not juniored? Ok.

It would have been helpful to get some basic info on the game, but I guess GAF is letting its standards slip.
Yep. OP should use the quick write-up in this post.

With a disclaimer that the Horde mode is separate, expensive DLC.

What? there is no game footage in that trailer at all?
Yeah - seems like a reveal trailer more than anything else.

Aliens: Colonial Marines features a campaign with dynamic drop-in/drop-out cooperative multiplayer for up to 4 players online or 2 players locally via split screen

This is news to me ... after watching the IGN 2hr special I didn't think it looked terribad so if it really does support offline co-op I might just drop some hard earned wedge on this.

Raptomex

I don't get all the hate on this game. I'm still waiting for impressions before buying but I don't think it looks as bad as people on here are making it out to be. I don't get it.

Sporran

Right shopto have just charged the card :D No going back now.

Wonder if it will be sent tomorrow, so an alien fest on saturday :D

Tankshell

I don't get all the hate on this game. I'm still waiting for impressions before buying but I don't think it looks as bad as people on here are making it out to be. I don't get it.

Same here. In game footage looks decent and faithful to the source material in my books.

On one hand I'm really upset because I like Gearbox and want this game to be good. On the other hand, this OT is hilarious.

Bravo Mr. Orange

AlterOdin

The assembly cut was indeed much better, although I prefer the dog chest bursting scene to the (oxen? cow?) one. I think people would view it more favorably if they watched that edit instead. But still, the movie has a bunch of other problems which can't really be fixed with a simple cut. For starters there's the abrupt end of two characters that audiences really liked, which you mentioned. Which is not only depressing but it also kind of diminishes a lot of what happened in Aliens, which many consider to be the better film. Actually that reminds me of that Back to the Future gif...

spiderman356k.gif

Not only that, but it's mostly a retread of the first film (one alien, isolated environment, no weapons) except now the alien isn't really scary anymore because we've seen so much of it already - there's no mystery to it. It's also a really depressing ending for Ripley after the first 2 movies had her narrowly escaping death, only to finally see her die because somehow an egg got on board the Sulaco. It just feels forced and kind of insulting. Not only that, but none of the other cast members really stick out. I honestly preferred watching a mangled Bishop make a cameo than watching any of the other characters. Also, what was with the doctor she had sex with, and then he just dies?

I don't know, I recently watched the making of Alien 3 of youtube (highly recommended) and after seeing all the shit they went through behind the scenes I appreciate what they were able to accomplish in that scenario, but I find it strange when people say they don't get the hate. There's a lot to hate in the movie, and even the director hates it.

LOL at the gif :) I guess I can kind of get the hate, but just get the impression that it gets a lot of undeserved hate, because it not what people expected (like 1/10 stars, etc). I highly enjoyed the grittiness and hopelessness of situation, and thought it was a nice ending to the trilogy. (4 dosen't exist ;). But some things could have been done alot better I agree.

But enough of the derail.

Don't have high hopes A:CM as almost nothing has been showedcased and has a to long development time. I sure hope this is not another DUKE. Hope it alteast at AvP2 standards.

PS: is AvP3 any good, was kinda out of the pc game when this came out.

Cheers

eshwaaz

That trailer is bad. Just look at the aliens! They just stand there, waiting to be killed. Some of the animation (alien queen) is aweful.

The Idea behind the trailer is good, but the execution lacks.
Agreed. When the aliens drop down from the ceiling for an ambush, the marines barely react. Pretty much every scene is ruined by poor direction. For all the supposed chaos and shooting going on, there is zero intensity.

Dr Dogg

Hahahaha! Well that was brief. I canceled my preorder for this a few days ago as I'm not feeling this so thought I'd poke my head in here to see if I 'dun goofed. Well this OT has made me fell a lot better.

Tankshell

Hahahaha! Well that was brief. I canceled my preorder for this a few days ago as I'm not feeling this so thought I'd poke my head in here to see if I 'dun goofed. Well this OT has made me fell a lot better.

Apparently it's cool to write a game off before having played it based purely on speculation by others who haven't played it either.

Good job.

Perkel

Banned
I don't fallow news on ACM. Why is this game hated ? (other than being taken from Obsidian - DAMN YOU SEGA!)

But... but... but... I thought we were beyond using trailers as a gauge to what a game will be?

Or is that only when the trailers are really good that we can't be excited?

I'm really confused.

DocSeuss

Hey, guys, while I'm worried about the game's quality: please keep in mind that Gearbox ain't doing the trailers. Sega is. Mikey Neumann (who is an awesome writer, in my opinion) tweeted that he had nothing to do with the writing in the trailers a week or so ago.

Don't conflate Sega's bad advertising with the game. Let the game's quality (which sounds kinda bad judging by the rumblings) speak for itself. :(

I don't fallow news on ACM. Why is this game hated ? (other than being taken from Obsidian - DAMN YOU SEGA!)

What the fuck?

This has been in development since before Obsidian was working on their totally different game, to the best of my knowledge.

Would be impressed... if trailer was released in 1995. This looks atrocious! The only good part is the theme from MOON - even though it's not fitting for this trailer.

This game is gonna be a trainwreck, isn't it?

Andrew.

Banned
So someone in the Off Topic Bill Paxton hatred thread said that in the game Hudson is still alive, on LV426 and you find him and rescue him?

WTF.

DaBuddaDa

So a little while back the lead designer working on DOOM 4 left id and joined Gearbox to become lead designer on this game. Sounds like everything worked out fine for DOOM 4.

EDIT: John Mulkey is his name.

Why does this trailer have music from Moon, another movie, instead of Alien(s), the franchise of movies it's actually based on? I mean, nice music and all, but...
Came in here to ask that. WTF?!

Also the music worked so much better for that movie than it does here, where it almost reaches Gears of War/Mad World levels of incongruity.

params7

Banned
Only thing I'm worried about is storyline being too cinematic and bland. It'll be great instead if the campaign was designed for challenge and survival type gameplay (ironically that's the best way to simulate the movies too but the casual movie fans may not like it). I'm just waiting for the reviews now.

MYE

Smell it? MAN YOU'RE WAIST DEEP IN IT.

Oh I know I am. I'm pussyfooting around it so I dont stirr up the nest even further.

Its so wierd how hate seems to stick to certain games while other mediocre looking ones seem to get a free past and even gain a small following (I'm looking at you Alice Madness Returns).

Top Bottom