• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha R2 announced, starts at $599

jwk94

http://www.cnet.com/au/products/alienware-alpha-r2/

The new Alpha, called the R2, now offers CPUs from Intel's current sixth-gen line, from Core i3 all the way up to a Core i7-6700T. There's only one Nvidia GPU option, but it's a full desktop-level Nvidia GeForce 960 card, which is more than powerful enough for most current games at very high detail levels and frame rates. (The AMD Radeon R9 M470X is also available as an option.) Storage options run from standard platter hard drives to new, faster PCIe solid-state drives.

But wait, there's more. If you want to use the Alpha to power the current generation of virtual reality headsets, the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, it doesn't have the required hardware to do that, at least on its own. Another of the newly added Alpha features, however, is compatibility with the sold-separately Alienware Graphics Amplifier, a toaster-sized box that can accommodate a full-size desktop graphics card and funnel its power to a handful of compatible Alienware systems.

The updated Alienware Alpha R2 should be available this summer, starting at $599 in the US. International price and availability details were not yet available, but that price converts to around £420 or AU$810.

Was going to build a $1,000 itx PC, but this seems lilke the better choice, maybe. How would this fair with upcoming games? Would I be able to run them at High (or Ultra?) and/or edit 4K videos well?

Crayon

The main selling point of the Alpha is the tiny case and great styling so I'm glad they are fitting the upgrade into the same chassis.

Mesoian

http://www.cnet.com/au/products/alienware-alpha-r2/

Was going to build a $1,000 itx PC, but this seems lilke the better choice, maybe. How would this fair with upcoming games? Would I be able to run them at High (or Ultra?) and/or edit 4K videos well?

With a 960? You're certainly going to run into some problems here and there. I guess it all depends on what you wanna play.

You will absolutely get more horsepower out of building a 700 dollar machine than buying this.

The more small living room PC's the better. Hopefully Zotac/Gigabyte, etc, launch competitors for this like they have been doing the last few years.

jwk94

With a 960? You're certainly going to run into some problems here and there. I guess it all depends on what you wanna play.

You will absolutely get more horsepower out of building a 700 dollar machine than buying this.

But could i get something as small?

CHC

There's only one Nvidia GPU option, but it's a full desktop-level Nvidia GeForce 960 card, which is more than powerful enough for most current games at very high detail levels and frame rates.

JTts7lX.gif

Gren

Kinda disappointed by the GPU, but least it's priced lower than the Zotac Magnus (i5/960 combo) barebones kit, which would've been my next best bet. Will probably still wait for it to go on sale like I did with the first iteration.

Crayon

Any overheating issues considering the form factor?

Seems very well engineered. It's ridiculously small, but when you get the cover off and see how the blowers are laid out, It looks like there is plenty of room for airflow. Never heard of any heat problems.

My old Alpha is possibly the worst piece of tech I've ever owned. In a continuous loop of sending it in for repair. Keeps breaking. They refuse to replace the unit and the place I bought it from won't take it back. I really hope they've built this one to be a bit more reliable because in theory it's a great system and I really wanted to love it!

it has begun

Apologies - I didn't mean to start anything. Just relatively PC illiterate and am a bit thrown off by our new iterative console reality. The lines are becoming blurry, so to speak. Only trying to manage my own expectations before dropping some coin.

wildfire

Banned
But could i get something as small?

Hell no. The form factor simply can't be beat in that regard.

$600 for a 960 and and Intel i3 is a little pricey so still choose carefully if you want that form factor.

If it comes with a valve controller (instead of the xbox controller) then the value is still respectable. Find out about bundling details like that first.

gdt

This thing will be severely under-powered for that price. Such a terrible day to announce it too.

bob page

I can max out pretty much everything on my desktop 960. Overwatch runs full 60fps on epic settings.

Still seems like this thing is overpriced though.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
$599 is the list price. You know we'll be able to get it for hundreds cheaper, if the first model is any indication.

Kanyon

I was outbidded on eBay for a first gen i7 Alpha only just yesterday, I think it was a sign and I'm glad now that the R2 has been announced. Just checked the Alienware site in Australia and the prices start from $999 for the AMD version. Most interesting thing I noticed is that it says it ships in 7 - 9 days, wasn't expecting this to be available almost immediately.

DMTripper

I love my 960! It runs every game I've had so far at really nice settings. You have to remember the size of these things... They are small! It seems like a pretty nice option for those that don't wanna build and get into pc gaming.

SuperHans

Getting a 960 now would be awful given that a 480 is more than double the perf for 200. Even the 460 will probably hammer it.

Gren

Check the Zotac or Gigabyte one that brings a desktop 980 instead.

Didn't know about that Zotac one. Comparing MSRPs, it certainly sounds like the better deal if you're already willing to drop a $1,000 (though I'm guessing that's for the barebones variant).

It's not so much that it is not a lot of power for the price. It's that this is a really awkward time to launch your new SFF PC. Could've waited til early next year for something better.

Top Bottom