• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha R2 announced, starts at $599

tim.mbp

Headphone jack?

Shit, wish there was some kind of trade-up program for those of us with the first gen version.

Dell does have a general trade in program. It's listed at the bottom of the Alienware webpage. $210 for the original entry level model.

Iorv3th

Hell no. The form factor simply can't be beat in that regard.

$600 for a 960 and and Intel i3 is a little pricey so still choose carefully if you want that form factor.

If it comes with a valve controller (instead of the xbox controller) then the value is still respectable. Find out about bundling details like that first.

Does the 600$ version come with the 960 or is it just integrated graphics?

Even then it's not a great deal for the price. Only upside is the form factor if you need a small PC.

LordOfChaos

Not sure if the Alpha is similarly updated yet. Seems that the low end 860M-ish SKU remains, but there's a new high end one

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/alienware-still-has-faith-in-steam-machines-for-some-reason/

As reported by IT World, a $749 Alienware Steam Machine system will feature an Intel Core i5 Skylake CPU, an Nvidia GTX 960 GPU, 8GB of RAM, a 500GB hard drive, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi. For $899, you can upgrade that basic configuration with a Core i7 CPU and a 1TB hard drive.

Alienware is also keeping around the current, ultra-low-end, $449 Alienware Steam Machine, which sports a Core i3 processor, 4GB of RAM, and a custom Maxwell graphics card that "performs similarly to the NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 860M."

Can't help but feel it's bad decision by not going with the minimum VR requirement which would be a 480 or (hopefully) a 1060. On the other side I know the form factor is the main selling point and the price should be contained but still...

Drain You

Cool that dell does offer a trade in program as I honestly didn't know that existed on any level ha, if someone would have asked me I would have said absolutely not. If form factor was an issue for me I think I would consider one of these. Also I feel like that is a pretty decent price for someone who doesn't want to try to build their first PC but wants to get a taste of PC gaming.

EDIT: Kinda off topic, but does anyone know how the general public views the Alienware typically? This thread made me curious, growing up I always saw them as overpriced and flashy, but I've been building computers computers/was exposed to that sort of stuff at a younger age.

dugdug

Banned
Headphone jack?

Dell does have a general trade in program. It's listed at the bottom of the Alienware webpage. $210 for the original entry level model.

Hah, well I guess that's *something*. $260 for the model I have (i7) feels like a slap in the face, but...sigh.

TheBeebs

Neo Member
I stumbled onto your chat about the R2 and I humbly present my review of it:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/95151/alienware-alpha-r2-review-harder-better-faster-stronger

I completely understand it may not be a great choice for those of us who want the latest and greatest, but I get where Alienware is coming from with its Alpha. The R1 was a good start, but it could barely run most AAA games.

With the R2, they've improved its hard drive, its RAM support, CPU, and its GPU received a HUGE overhaul when compared to R1. For those looking for a small, form-factor PC to go in their living room, dorm room, or bedroom, this is a great option.

I spent two weeks with the Alpha R2, and I used it every single day. So if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

TheBeebs

Neo Member
Curious how much the external boost costs. If $200, getting a VR-ready rig for $800 sounds like a nice deal.

The Graphics Amplifier is $200, although you'll need to throw your own card into it as Alienware just supplies you with what's essentially an external power supply.

The Graphics Amplifier is $200, although you'll need to throw your own card into it as Alienware just supplies you with what's essentially an external power supply.
Fair enough, the new AMD cards are $200 as well so $1000 for something in which I can easily upgrade GPU and CPU is nice.
Will be on the lookout.

Zia

I was a Mac user for over a decade so, just to clarify, in layman's terms, the R2 is considerably better than the first gen i5 Alpha primarily because of the GPU upgrade and optional SSD?

I own a GTX 960 and love it in my secondary HTPC rig. But...offering the GTX 960 as the primary / only GPU as the basis for a Steam machine seems like a really poor choice right about now.

In about a month the entire price/performance matrix for GPUs is going to be totally reset. The RX 480 is going to offer at the very least 970+ performance while consuming less power than a 960. The ~$330 970 takes a shit on the ~$220 960 from a fairly high altitude. So, the ~$200-$229 480 is definitely going to recalibrate entry level price/perf expectations. These particular Steam machines seem poorly timed for this reason alone.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So how does this and the X-51 handle turning on the machine from a controller input? It's literally the one thing I want (as well as from a remote if possible) from a PC but never was able to get to work.

TheBeebs

Neo Member
I was a Mac user for over a decade so, just to clarify, in layman's terms, the R2 is considerably better than the first gen i5 Alpha primarily because of the GPU upgrade and optional SSD?

Yes, and yes. And it also has a port for its Graphics Amplifier, which allows you to use a desktop graphics card with it if you like.

I stumbled onto your chat about the R2 and I humbly present my review of it:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/95151/alienware-alpha-r2-review-harder-better-faster-stronger

I completely understand it may not be a great choice for those of us who want the latest and greatest, but I get where Alienware is coming from with its Alpha. The R1 was a good start, but it could barely run most AAA games.

With the R2, they've improved its hard drive, its RAM support, CPU, and its GPU received a HUGE overhaul when compared to R1. For those looking for a small, form-factor PC to go in their living room, dorm room, or bedroom, this is a great option.

I spent two weeks with the Alpha R2, and I used it every single day. So if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them.

The R1 can barely run most AAA games? That is literally bollocks. Sure you will need to adjust some settings but barely run??

I agree that the 960 would have been great if we didn't already know the 1060 was just around the corner. Still it is pretty good considering the form factor, and you definitely don't need to be paying the rrp, there are always deals, I got my old i5 for a fair bit less than the i3 rrp.

Sorcerer

What's the point of a tiny box if you need another toaster for more power?

That said, I love the alpha desing.

The amplifier was originally made for laptops. The alpha/steam machine are essentially laptops.
Why not throw the port in the there?
Doesn't hurt I suppose.

Hm...

Libraries aside, how will these hang with Scorpio spec-wise? The $599 model specifically.

we don't even know how much the Scorpio is going to be so you can't really do a comparison

Scorpio should be better. At probably a cheaper or the same price point. We don't know how much they will make it, but from they've said we can extrapolate a potential price. If we assume a modified or exactly the same AMD 480x at $200 (that's retail so it will cost Microsoft less per unit) Scorpio will be more powerful at that $600 mark. With Microsoft behind this generation and power playing such a role in that, I bet they sell Scorpio at cost or even take a small hit. I whole heartedly expect $500-$649. Probably $599.00.

I could be completely wrong, but the Xbox division and Phil really want to take back control.

psilva

Ordered a top spec Alpha today. There have been too many good titles I've been missing out on, not to mention what's due this year.

... i just bought one yesterday.

It was the top of the line one yesterday but now the whole page refreshed. I can't even find the specs on the one that hasn't been shipped yet!

Kanyon

Just bought myself the i5/8Gb/GTX960 model, paid the usual AUD premium but I'm looking forward to getting it and having a tinker with it. Won't arrive until July 6th but I'm happy to wait, it's going to be so good to get back into PC gaming again!

Kanyon

no impressions, lads?

Have had mine for about a week now, really enjoying it as it chews up any tasks or games I throw at it. Mine is the i5/8GB/GTX960 model so there's room to upgrade down the track, especially with the graphics amplifier port.

In the process of downloading Forza 6 Apex, Battlefield 4 and Battlefront to test it out some more.

I have friends that owned the first box. They invariably all ended up selling them and building a PC, either alone or with my assistance. Just build a PC or wait for a great pre-configired deal on slickdeals. At least then you'll still be able to replace parts to a degree down the line to a greater degree.

FLEABttn

Banned
no impressions, lads?

I got the i7 version, 8 gigs of RAM, 256GB SSD. Very nimble. Kind of noisy, particularly when the room is warm and it is at full load. Necessitated the use of a USB soundcard in my case because I'm not using it as a console. Replaced an i7-920 with a 5870. No regrets.

Far too big!!

How about this?

DSC_19772.JPG

sector4

Not sure whether to buy this or an XB1 Slim...

Basically I just want to play Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3. Would this would run those games much better than an XB1?

Not sure whether to buy this or an XB1 Slim...

Basically I just want to play Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3. Would this would run those games much better than an XB1?

Substantially so. But I'd wait if you don't want to build a PC yourself (IMO a better choice). The 1060 will likely be swapped out for the 960 in it now which will bring a pretty great performance boost from the 960. You'll be looking at 970/980 performance which is for reference like Witcher 3 at ultra settings 60-70fps. Vs 40 or so on the 960.

belmonkey

I wouldn't be too surprised if they offered a gtx 1050 option whenever it comes out. A 1060 seems like it would be a bit much to hope for without increasing the price quite a bit.

Top Bottom