• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha R2 announced, starts at $599

LilJoka

960 will run Witcher 3 at medium high settings at 45fps at 1080p. Not a good card when a 480 or 970 run Witcher 3 at very high ultra at 1080p60. No way a 960 is a 4K card unless you are happy running 30 fps low settings.

960 will run Witcher 3 at medium high settings at 45fps at 1080p. Not a good card when a 480 or 970 run Witcher 3 at very high ultra at 1080p60. No way a 960 is a 4K card unless you are happy running 30 fps low settings.

Right. Definitely for people looking here do yourself a favour and wait for the replacement to the 960 in these guys or build yourself a mini itx/ATX console with a 480/1060 if you want the small form factor.

Probably meant they could get 960 parts cheap. Remember though this device isn't about bleeding edge. It's perfect in certain usage situations. I'm still rocking the 860m variant and won't replace that unless it breaks!!!

Maybe. It took them a long time to replace the GPU in the original model..

The original GPU was a mobile chip though. So they had to change the board itself as well as other parts no? Or is the 960 also a mobile variant?

Edit: Ok I was coming from a place of thinking they had changed the design to accommodate an actual standard GPU instead of a soldered on board solution. I'm a fool. My apologies. I would really recommend against buying this then. Build a small form factor and get much more for your money especially down the line.

bede-x

It's bizarre they'd do it so close to 1060 launch.

It is, but they released the original Alpha in the second half of 2014 with a custom built 860m and when the GTX 960 appeared in January 2015 they did nothing. The 860m wasn't replaced before around E3 2016, basically now, with a GTX 960.

Maybe they'll replace it with a 1060 soon, but it's difficult to say considering how long it took them with the previous model. I mean, they've only just released the new model with a 960 last month.

MrGerbils

I'm really interested in this for the form factor, but as others in this thread have said.. not with a 960.

Can you replace the internal card on these with say a founders edition 1070?

I know they have the external amp, but that kinda negates the tiny form factor appeal. Also, the fact that it uses a proprietary connector is super annoying. If I could get double usage out of it by occasionally hooking it up to something like the new macbook and do Octane rendering that'd be neat.

I'm really interested in this for the form factor, but as others in this thread have said.. not with a 960.

Can you replace the internal card on these with say a founders edition 1070?

I know they have the external amp, but that kinda negates the tiny form factor appeal. Also, the fact that it uses a proprietary connector is super annoying. If I could get double usage out of it by occasionally hooking it up to something like the new macbook and do Octane rendering that'd be neat.

How would a 1070 even fit in it? It is a very small box. I picked up another first gen a,lpha the other day at a local Walmart on close out. Paid less than $300 for it, threw more ram and an SSD in it and couldn't be happier.

I love the Alpha form factor so damn much. :)

I'm interested in one of these for emulation. Is that where CPU really counts?

For example, if I wanted to run PCSX2, I should go for the i7 model over the i3 or i5, yea?

Top Bottom