• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha Windows gaming PC $399 from Dell

LilJoka

Not sure if this has been posted, from overclock.net

8f381f01_AlphaBenchmarks.jpeg

COD AW needed 8Gb ram to open. CPU was core i3.

Stock i3-4130T
Idle temp: 40-50 degrees
Prime95 load temp: 67-78 degrees

Users report nearly all games will hit 720p60 at Ultra or close, and 1080p60 at medium settings.

sprinkles

If Dell Europe had this deal with a comparable price, I'd be tempted to get the Alpha for the living room. I am planning to go with the Steam Link to replace the long-ass HDMI cable running from the home office, but that one is still half a year off...

Sorcerer

It just works as an extra HDMI input for your TV.

Yes, or you can change the colours if you prefer, as well as the brightness.

Its an Hdmi in and not an extra out correct?

Does that mean I can hook up a cable box or some other media box and have tha
information overlay the OS?

LilJoka

Its an Hdmi in and not an extra out correct?

Does that mean I can hook up a cable box or some other media box and have tha
information overlay the OS?

It just says HDMI on the webpage, its likely just dual outputs, for example to run 2 screens.

Edit
Seems like it is a HDMI-In port. The Alpha is just a HDMI switcher, so saves a HDMI port on the TV. You can switch to display this port as the output to the TV. It wont be an overlay type situation like X1.

bndadm

This sounds exactly what I'm looking for for the TV.

From what I read in the comments thus far this i3 model would be able to handle most of the games I play (based on the benchmark posted earlier) as well as PS2 emulation.

Can anyone knowledgeable on here please hazard a guess how this would handle GTA IV? I know it's a terrible port and all that, but trying to gauge if I need to get the i5 to handle that. Not max, just at least at console settings or better.

That's about the only game I worry about, most current-gen items I'm getting on console, I just want something for the next few years to play my backlog. My current desktop is a dual core (actual Dual core) and it's been a bottleneck for me.

Thanks OP for this head's up! I've been waiting for the right time and I think this is it.

This sounds exactly what I'm looking for for the TV.

From what I read in the comments thus far this i3 model would be able to handle most of the games I play (based on the benchmark posted earlier) as well as PS2 emulation.

Can anyone knowledgeable on here please hazard a guess how this would handle GTA IV? I know it's a terrible port and all that, but trying to gauge if I need to get the i5 to handle that. Not max, just at least at console settings or better.

That's about the only game I worry about, most current-gen items I'm getting on console, I just want something for the next few years to play my backlog. My current desktop is a dual core (actual Dual core) and it's been a bottleneck for me.

Thanks OP for this head's up! I've been waiting for the right time and I think this is it.
I just found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p2v92sYFoQ

Crayon

The steamos/steam controller version has a 479 msrp? How did the initial msrp of this version compare to the street prices?

That looks terrible. How does it perform with lowered settings or resolution?

No idea really, but I'd assume it would do far better than it's console counterparts at similar settings - which normally goes without saying really - but then again, GTAIV PC is a terrible port.

GodofWine

I need a new home computer...hmmm...any issue with running MS Office on these this ?(I assume it runs it fine since its a windows computer lol)

I just bought one of these to use as an HTPC and light gaming on the side total after tax is $427. Not bad. What cheap ram should I get to upgrade it to 8 gigs ? I have a amazon prime so buying from amazon would be preferable. Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance.

Anyone know what the maximum supported ram is by this motherboard?

It supports up to 16GB of RAM. If you're looking to add onto the 4GB it comes with, just gotta make sure it's 1600mhz DDR3L.

This should do: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQ35GYE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pardon my ignorance but I'm not very PC savvy and am thinking of getting the base level Alpha to avoid having to build my own. I like the ease of use and relative plug-and-play nature of it.

Upgrading the 4GB with what you've linked though, in Luddite terms, what would it change for me when I'm playing games. What difference would more GB of RAM make that I'd notice?

Gren

I'm probably not that more knowledgeable than you. But from what I understand, the most immediate visible benefits of adding more RAM are that it helps prevent/reduce in-game stutter, and also allows you to run more programs concurrently when gaming (i.e.web browser, music player, streaming software, etc).

The amount of RAM needed varies from game to game, but the current general consensus is that 8GB is the most cost-effective sweet spot.

I have an Alienware M14x R2 and it has a i7 3610qm CPU.

I assume it is better than the i3 in this machine, so would it be possible for me to move it from my laptop to this unit, along with my 8Gb ram? Would be great if so because my laptop has a 650M card and I assume the one in this unit is better.

The cost compared to a new laptop or desktop would be great and I prefer the portability.

bomblord1

Banned
I have an Alienware M14x R2 and it has a i7 3610qm CPU.

I assume it is better than the i3 in this machine, so would it be possible for me to move it from my laptop to this unit, along with my 8Gb ram? Would be great if so because my laptop has a 650M card and I assume the one in this unit is better.

The cost compared to a new laptop or desktop would be great and I prefer the portability.

Are you asking if you can take the CPU out of your laptop and put it in this? The i3 in this is a desktop CPU. Even it was a mobile CPU how on earth would you get it out of your laptop in the first place?

bomblord1

Banned
I'm probably not that more knowledgeable than you. But from what I understand, the most immediate visible benefits of adding more RAM are that it helps prevent/reduce in-game stutter, and also allows you to run more programs concurrently when gaming (i.e.web browser, music player, streaming software, etc).

The amount of RAM needed varies from game to game, but the current general consensus is that 8GB is the most cost-effective sweet spot.

A basic explanation if you are curious.

RAM stands for Random Access Memory. Ram is incredible fast volatile memory (volatile means if you cut the power the data is gone). So it while it can't be used as a HDD practically it can be used for other things.

Since it's so fast it's fast enough for the CPU to use to be fed instructions in and out of it while your HDD or even SSD could never keep up with the CPU's demand. The CPU both reads instructions from the ram and writes now data to it It's something like this CPU<->RAM. When you open a program that brief loading period is actually the data being moved from the HDD to the RAM.

The more ram you have the more data can be loaded into it simultaneously for the CPU to work on therefore more programs can be open at once and more game assets can be loaded at once. If you have faster ram the data can be accessed even faster by the CPU.

Are you asking if you can take the CPU out of your laptop and put it in this? The i3 in this is a desktop CPU. Even it was a mobile CPU how on earth would you get it out of your laptop in the first place?

This is why I was asking. I'm not very good at these things.

The CPU is also removable from my laptop. Only the GPU isn't. However this is probably only for replacing a similar CPU if need be.

bomblord1

Banned
This is why I was asking. I'm not very good at these things.

The CPU is also removable from my laptop. Only the GPU isn't.

Most CPU's are soddered to the MOBO even if they're not it's typically incredibly difficult to get to them and even if you could you would be hard pressed to find a store selling laptop CPU's.

None of that matters though because it's a desktop CPU any LGA 1150 socket CPU can fit in the board as long as it's within the power and thermal requirements.

Most CPU's are soddered to the MOBO even if they're not it's typically incredibly difficult to get to them and even if you could you would be hard pressed to find a store selling laptop CPU's.

None of that matters though because it's a desktop CPU any LGA 1150 socket CPU can fit in the board as long as it's within the power and thermal requirements.

Thanks.

CPU is easy on my laptop, just a screw removal and then it pops off. I've taken this thing apart before, all because the stupid keyboard isnt working right. A, Z , Q and a few others next to it won't work, even after swapping out for a new keyboard.

For some reason I looked at the size of the Alpha and thought it was made with mobile parts and hoped I could make use of what's in my laptop if possible.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this. I'm just wondering...Is it worth it for me to wait for the Steam Machines in Fall?

I have a Windows license I can use on a Steam Machine. Will there be better hardware options for a similar price? Or should I just go for this Alpha?

Crayon

I'm about to pull the trigger on this. I'm just wondering...Is it worth it for me to wait for the Steam Machines in Fall?

I have a Windows license I can use on a Steam Machine. Will there be better hardware options for a similar price? Or should I just go for this Alpha?

Depends. Do you want to wait for the hardware, the controller, the os or the support?

bomblord1

Banned

Why? Steam OS is free and can be installed with or over the windows install on this. Aside from that the hardware should be identical.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can add a 4gb or 8gb chip in there and get 8-12 gb of RAM?
There are two RAM slots, but note that it uses Laptop RAM so I'm not sure how large the capacity of those are.

They will likely be better hardware than this when the start Steam Machines launching, but I would expect them to cost significantly more.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Err this seems a little bit... weak. Is it just me that would rather spend $400 on an Xbox One/PS4/Wii U instead of buying a PC that will barely last a short while simply because of the weak specs and devs not as willing to optimize on PC as much as they are on consoles.

Gren

The hardware is definitely lacking depending on what kind of games one wants to play.

I'll be using mine mostly for small-scale indies, emulators, and whatever supported games are on my backlog that I prefer playing with a controller on the couch. I can count the AAA & large-scale games released this gen that I bought on one hand.

If after RAM & possible CPU upgrades this thing can run SF V at a stable 60 fps, it'd more than exceed my expectations. Otherwise, my friends'll have to bring over a PS4 if they wanna play at my place :p

Trouble

Banned
Err this seems a little bit... weak. Is it just me that would rather spend $400 on an Xbox One/PS4/Wii U instead of buying a PC that will barely last a short while simply because of the weak specs and devs not as willing to optimize on PC as much as they are on consoles.

If it's an either-or, sure I'd go for the PS4. I already have a PS4 and this opens up some new couch gaming possibilities for me, plus other PC connected to TV possibilities I haven't thought of, plus future SFF linux server possibilities.

RM8

Doesn't it outperform PS4 in some games? I'll be okay if my i7 version runs Street Fighter V perfectly :]

etta

my hard graphic balls
If it's an either-or, sure I'd go for the PS4. I already have a PS4 and this opens up some new couch gaming possibilities for me, plus other PC connected to TV possibilities I haven't thought of, plus future SFF linux server possibilities.

Yea I overlooked that you can do more than playing the latest and greatest games on this.

What about HTPC-style launchers?

Is there anything that can make it SUPER-SIMPLE to graphically launch into Kodi or Steam or Hulu or Netflix without ever seeing a Windows desktop?

bede-x

How would a system like this run a game like Witcher 3? Better than PS4? Worse?

We don't know, wait for benchmarks. The Witcher 3 has minimum requirements above this, so there's a slight chance it won't run at all, but it might also do just fine. Let's wait and see.

Krejlooc

Banned
What about HTPC-style launchers?

Is there anything that can make it SUPER-SIMPLE to graphically launch into Kodi or Steam or Hulu or Netflix without ever seeing a Windows desktop?

this boots directly into steam big picture mode.

this is what you get when you turn it on:

Aj1zFgA.png

you can add any application to steam very easily:

bw08eTP.jpg

you have to set the icon manually, though. here's an example of 2 types of non-steam games in BPM:

1PErmU1.jpg

i set that streets of rage remake icon, but you can see the generic icons to the left for applications I didn't set.

you never have to see windows at all with this thing unless you explicitly select the option in the menu labeled "return to desktop"

edit: forgot to show the menu item to add non-steam games to steam:

X2ZJJvL.png

Kinthalis

Banned
We don't know, wait for benchmarks. The Witcher 3 has minimum requirements above this, so there's a slight chance it won't run at all, but it might also do just fine. Let's wait and see.

The difference between an i5 2500k at stock speeds and the Alpha's i3 isn't very big though. The GPU is about 15% slower though. I figure a mix of mostly low and medium 30 FPS 1080p.

Top Bottom