• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Machines for 50% off on Black Friday -- are these worth buying at the price?

Fularu

Banned
Yeah, Windows is not included with this purchase. I'm not sure how difficult it will be to install Windows.

Stupid easy. You just have to get the USB loading tool from microsoft and download the proper version of Windows on it

Then run the install from the front USB port

Also there's barely any difference between a 860m and a 960m performance wise, the R2 version isn't really worth it when it's 500$ more than the i7 one... so go for it

wildfire

Banned
I think its so funny that people aren't freaking for only $225. What a deal when you think about what this will do for you vs. an Xbox One S or PS4 Slim.

I avoided this thread twice because I assumed it was some of the more expensive over priced machines. To find out it's an Alpha even last year's version is a big surprise. Even without the controller I can't build a better base machine than this.

Fularu

Banned
I avoided this thread twice because I assumed it was some of the more expensive over priced machines. To find out it's an Alpha even last year's version is a big surprise. Even without the controller I can't build a better base machine than this.

It's absolutely impossible to build a better HTPC for 225$. Hell it's almost impossible to build a better one for 375$ (The mobile i7 version)

I tried.

wildfire

Banned
Also there's barely any difference between a 860m and a 960m performance wise, the R2 version isn't really worth it when it's 500$ more than the i7 one... so go for it

I thought you were off base but the performance isn't that stark like it should be. This is a really great price.

Onemic

Its an 860M for the higher priced model. I have the same model in my laptop I got 2 years back. It's good, but not good enough to run games at PS4/Xbone quality flawlessly.

BigBeauford

I think the way to go, was to grab the base model i3 ($224), slap a 500 GB SSD ($130) and 4 GB Ram ($24), and you're looking at about the same price as the i7 model. Everything I have read about these two processors suggests that for gaming, there isn't huge amount of difference.

Even if you don't put windows on it. Would it play all steam games?

My brother was thinking if building a PC, this could be a great alternative

MiszMasz

Even if you don't put windows on it. Would it play all steam games?

My brother was thinking if building a PC, this could be a great alternative

No, just the ones with Linux compatibility.
I'm not sure how SteamOS is set up but you could probably get some Windows games and the Windows version of Steam running in Wine - but that can be a fair old job for someone who hasn't done it before.

MilesTeg

Banned
Will the $225 box run civ 6 with no issues? Really just looking for a box for pc exclusive titles and emulation. I have $190 credit at gamestop so it would only cost me 35 plus windows.

Also will the steam controller work well with civ? Looking to hook this up to my tv.

That's probably the actual price they should have costed to begin with if we wanna be real.

Get the one with the 960 though if you are gonna get one.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Are these things good to be used as a HTPC?

Need a new HTPC and can't decide between this or building my own.

StereoVsn

Will the $225 box run civ 6 with no issues? Really just looking for a box for pc exclusive titles and emulation. I have $190 credit at gamestop so it would only cost me 35 plus windows.

Also will the steam controller work well with civ? Looking to hook this up to my tv.
I would recommend the more expensive version as Civ loves CPU and more threads are good.

I mean sure if you're doing occasional indie side gaming. It will handle AAA releases but you're going to be putting some settings down pretty heavily. You also cannot upgrade them and reselling later will be difficult.

My advice is spend a little extra, build an entry level or see what kind of pre built full PC's are being offered and go that route instead for upgradeability in the future.

There's a lot of deals for dells and HP's that have at least some room for modular changes in the $300 price range that come with Windows and everything and have better parts. Check the PSU but in the past with these it hasn't taken too much to get a very solid gaming PC.

GSG Flash

To build better you would spend twice as much.

Well I'm in Canadaland, and I can get an i3 based Alienware Steambox for around $400 including tax, to upgrade to an SSD and get a 3TB external drive would bump up the cost to around $590. I can build a Pentium G4500 based HTPC with twice the ram for about the same price(maybe even a bit cheaper).

The Alienware's form factor is quite attractive though, compared to a mini ITX form factor for the custom build.

Kappa

Just bought the last one at my local gs
The i3 model is wayyy worth it. I can run most games and at 250 after tax absolutely nothing comes close. Well worth it although an upgrade to an ssd is recommended as well as a windows upgrade

A lot smaller than I expected,almost feels fake. I have a some popular games so I can test if anyone's on the fence

GSG Flash

I also ordered the i3 model yesterday. In the end, I felt the mini ITX form factor was too big and the Alienware's form factor was perfect for my HTPC needs. Also ordered a SSD to go with it since the stock drive is fairly slow.

What's the space on the inside of these? Enough room for a standard 970? Enough power?

It might be worth it for me at that price just for the cpu, mobo, and steam controller. Even an older i7 would still murder my fx6300

Alastor3

This is what I ordered yesterday: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883159274

Not as good as the US deal, but not bad either. Unfortunately it's out of stock now :(

I have no idea if it's any good, I know about nothing of the new technology, my computer is 7+ years old.

I just read that review Steam review and I don't think it's worth it since I can already play a lot of last gen games. I just have a bit of trouble with open world game since I only have 4gb ddr2 ram.

border

What's the space on the inside of these? Enough room for a standard 970? Enough power?

It might be worth it for me at that price just for the cpu, mobo, and steam controller. Even an older i7 would still murder my fx6300

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TePalKjzfPc

The Alienware Steam Machine is an 8"x8"x2" box. It's basically a slightly larger laptop or a normal-sized console, and not a mini-PC. You aren't going to be sliding in a new videocard of any type, let alone one that requires an external power connector. Everything is packed tight.

It sounds like you can upgrade the hard drive, RAM and (maybe) the CPU, but I imagine the GPU is soldered to the motherboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TePalKjzfPc

The Alienware Steam Machine is an 8"x8"x2" box. It's basically a slightly larger laptop or a normal-sized console, and not a mini-PC. You aren't going to be sliding in a new videocard of any type, let alone one that requires an external power connector. Everything is packed tight.

It sounds like you can upgrade the hard drive, RAM and (maybe) the CPU, but I imagine the GPU is soldered to the motherboard.

Hmm... The i3 would make a decent emulation box at least. Would be good up to most wii games. I might at least consider it still for that.

$250 for essentially a super raspberry pi that comes with a steam controller isn't bad.

border

Hmm... The i3 would make a decent emulation box at least. Would be good up to most wii games. I might at least consider it still for that.

$250 for essentially a super raspberry pi that comes with a steam controller isn't bad.

I don't know if a dual core CPU will be great for emulation of 3D consoles like the Wii, Gamecube, Dreamcast, or PS2. Emulation is very CPU-intensive.

I will try to update the thread later with full details, but on Monday the Dell Outlet website will be offering 20% off on all Alienware Desktops. This may or may not include the Alienware Alphas. If it does though, you will be able to get a quad-core Alpha for around $330.

I don't know if a dual core CPU will be great for emulation of 3D consoles like the Wii, Gamecube, Dreamcast, or PS2. Emulation is very CPU-intensive.

I will try to update the thread later with full details, but on Monday the Dell Outlet website will be offering 20% off on all Alienware Desktops. This may or may not include the Alienware Alphas. If it does though, you will be able to get a quad-core Alpha for around $330.

Since none of those emulators make great use of a third core, you're mileage won't be much greater on a quad over a hyper threaded dual.

border

Since none of those emulators make great use of a third core, you're mileage won't be much greater on a quad over a hyper threaded dual.

Glad to hear that then, since I ended up getting the dual core i3 Alienware Alpha :)

Currently the Dell Outlet has a Core i3 Alpha with 8GB RAM and 1TB hard drive for $419. If the Cyber Monday sale applies to that price though you can get it for $335. That's a pretty decent upgrade over the Gamestop Black Friday deal, if you take into account the extra cost of a Windows license, an extra 4GB of RAM, and an extra 500GB of storage.

So is the i7 steam machine from GameStop at 347 dollars still the sale price? Is that 50 percent off?

Also, what was the graphics card in there, and would this be a good choice for a starter gaming PC for my brother?

Thank ya!

Alastor3

So is the i7 steam machine from GameStop at 347 dollars still the sale price? Is that 50 percent off?

Also, what was the graphics card in there, and would this be a good choice for a starter gaming PC for my brother?

Thank ya!

For a first gaming PC? I think so, depend on what he plan to play.

border

That's nice deal, since I have seen via videos that Windows OS provides better performance for games than Steam OS.

The Windows license alone is worth $75-$100, so you are kinda just getting the hardware for less than $200.

Since these are refurbishes they come with Windows 8.1, but I still think there's some sneaky ways you can get a free upgrade to Windows 10.

BigBeauford

Received this today, the i3 500GB version. Packaging is excellent, feels very premium. I put a 500 GB SSD card in, and 4 GB more of RAM. I booted windows 10 to it, and moved my steam library over and updated the graphics drivers. Man, this thing already runs rocket league at a much smoother clip, with better looking quality than my PS4. The form factor is incredible for a pc, which will make transporting it easy.

Top Bottom