• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA USAGAF: Alienware Alpha for $329.99 w/rebate

http://slickdeals.net/f/8040075-ali...30-after-70-rebate-free-s-h?src=featured-2268

Deal is back with a new rebate today.

aw_alpha_asm102.jpg

fcifbgd7qunqf9qqvoac.jpg

Specs

• Intel Core i3-4130T Dual-Core CPU
  • 4GB DDR3L
  • 500GB HDD
  • Alpha chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M+ GPU 2GB GDDR5
  • Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 1x1
  • Windows 8.1 with free Windows 10 upgrade
  • Includes Xbox 360 Wireless Controller and Adapter

Also, the CPU, RAM, and storage are upgradable!

This is a fantastic price for people looking into playing some PC exclusives. There's a nice thread about it on GAF... And it has similar performance to the PS4 :)

chixdiggit

Wow that's tempting. I could bring it to the office it's so small. Too bad the I5 version wasn't having a deal as well.

jwk94

Can you upgrade the specs at all and does it come with the 32 inch LG if you spend $600?

From what I've researched, you can upgrade the RAM and CPU and that's it. I'd bite, but i'm not too fond of rebates and I don't have the money right now lol.

So this is like a console but for non-console games then? Can I do my word processing and do taxes on it? I need a desktop computer that also works as a computer, and this is tempting.

So this is like a console but for non-console games then? Can I do my word processing and do taxes on it? I need a desktop computer that also works as a computer, and this is tempting.

Yes.

At it's heart, it's still a full fledged Windows PC, but it boots into a custom Alienware UI that gives you the option of going to the desktop or straight into big picture mode on Steam. :)

It'll run the same programs any regular PC will.

You can download productivity programs like any other PC, so yes.

Yes.

At it's heart, it's still a full fledged Windows PC, but it boots into a custom Alienware UI that gives you the option of going to the desktop or straight into big picture mode on Steam. :)

It'll run the same programs any regular PC will.

Ooh, thanks guys! Not a bad deal at all then. The picture in the link threw me off lol

You got it good. Here in Denmark they want 5190DKK ($800) for the lowest spec model. That's roughly twice what you can buy a PS4 for in Danish stores. I don't get why it isn't anywhere near the PS4 in price here and obviously it won't sell at all at those prices.

Are PC parts in general marked up? Could be because of import fees or something :s

Magwik

Banned
I fucking love mine since the last deal. No regrets at all, but upgrading to at least 8GB of RAM is a must. Everyone buy this if you're interested.

Tried to code on the i7 version and it doesn't work... don't see a way to change the processor on the cheaper bundle either.

I got this based on outunderthestar's recommendation and I think it's a pretty cool device. They recently released a new cleaner ui which is very easy to use. I like how they have the 360 controller mimic the mouse so you don't need to plug one in and dualshock 4 support is included now.

ito007

Super odd question but if anyone's done it, how well does roller coaster tycoon 3 perform on this thing? I like to make some mammoth parks

Apt101

I'm still waiting on a proper Steam box for the living room, but this is a nice deal for a friend who mostly plays indie games on Steam. I owe her (helped me get a job years ago), may as well get it for her. She plays on some dreadful old Dell.

Super odd question but if anyone's done it, how well does roller coaster tycoon 3 perform on this thing? I like to make some mammoth parks

It will shit on RCT3

I'm still waiting on a proper Steam box for the living room, but this is a nice deal for a friend who mostly plays indie games on Steam. I owe her (helped me get a job years ago), may as well get it for her. She plays on some dreadful old Dell.

Yep. I'd recommend this to people solely for all the amazing PC indies you can play on it. It's worth it's weight in gold for that much.

Atolm

Why can't we get deals like this on EU ;(, you guys from the US don't realize how much better PC gaming is in your country, deals like this one or some you see in Newegg from time to time are insane compared to what I can get here.

Edit: As comparison, this is over 700€ (815$) at my local Amazon branch.

I'm thinking about actually buying this. Does anyone know of a similarly powerful desktop that I could buy instead for a cheaper price? The Steam big picture stuff is obviously nice but if I can save money I'd do that. I have no idea about computers.

Apt101

I'm thinking about actually buying this. Does anyone know of a similarly powerful desktop that I could buy instead for a cheaper price? The Steam big picture stuff is obviously nice but if I can save money I'd do that. I have no idea about computers.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find something with as good as a GPU for less. I can't remember the last time I saw a deal this good.

bede-x

Are PC parts in general marked up? Could be because of import fees or something :s

Some PC parts perhaps. Alienware's stuff is always ridiculously expensive in some parts of Europe. The lowest spec Alpha is £499 ($785) at Amazon.co.uk. Would love to get one just to try it out and to use it in link when I have friends over, but not at the prices they go for here.

Piggus

Really unfortunate that the GPU is soldered onto the motherboard. If it were replaceable (like in a lot of laptops), this would be awesome for taking to a friend's house or LANs.

Some PC parts perhaps. Alienware's stuff is always ridiculously expensive in some parts of Europe. The lowest spec Alpha is £499 ($785) at Amazon.co.uk. Would love to get one just to try it out and to use it in link when I have friends over, but not at the prices they go for here.

Yeah it's a huge ripoff at that price. For that you could build a miniITX PC that would blow the doors off this thing.

For $330 you're gonna be aching reaaaally hard to get anything close to this, imo

Really unfortunate that the GPU is soldered onto the motherboard. If it were replaceable (like in a lot of laptops), this would be awesome for taking to a friend's house or LANs.

You can buy a $300 GPU dock, I guess

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
For $330 you're gonna be aching reaaaally hard to get anything close to this, imo

Last time I tried, it wasn't possible, especially once you factor in the cost of windows.

And to anyone buying this, keep in mind that you really should upgrade the ram/HD for 80 or so bucks more. SSD makes a big difference.

Why can't we get deals like this on EU ;(, you guys from the US don't realize how much better PC gaming is in your country, deals like this one or some you see in Newegg from time to time are insane compared to what I can get here.

Holy crap, that's nuts. Sorry dudes.

I'm sure you could trade someone the MGSV PS4 for one.

Piggus

IMO the ability to upgrade the GPU would be worth the cost of a more expensive custom built system. The 860M isn't great.

chixdiggit

Pulled the trigger. 70$ rebate comes as an American Express gift card. and taxes were added to the final price. Still a great deal.

Yeah it's a huge ripoff at that price. For that you could build a miniITX PC that would blow the doors off this thing.

I'm in the U.S. and I literally just built a miniITX gaming PC with a GTX 970 and i5 4590 for like right about $700. It will certainly blow the doors off of the i3 Alpha, but even though it's a small build it's still quite a bit bigger than an Alpha is.

I've been looking at this model for awhile. Never been a big PC gamer at all, and from what I've read up on this system actually isn't too bad. At my local Best Buy we have a few open items of this model that I was trying to get my manager to drop to $300. Might spend the extra just to get this.

Any others who would talk me out of it? I don't really want to spend over $500 on a PC anyway as I probably wouldn't use it as much. And I bought Day Z months ago and it doesn't run on my laptop. That's all I really want it for haha.

Seems like a good deal

Would it be feasible/possible to stream on twitch with this thing? All I have a shit laptop, can't stream with it.

Apparently yes, just not in big picture mode.

Edit: Bought it. I'm not spending any more money on myself until I beat my entire backlog, including my Steam backlog now! What have I done.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
My 2009 laptop needs replacing (Core 2 duo + 260M). I may just pull the trigger on this as a couch machine and get a ~$1000 replacement laptop in a few months or in early 2016, too.

Tempting...

Luke_Wal

Crap. I JUST bought a Wii U this week or I would totally jump on this. Awesome deal, especially since I've been thinking about PC exclusives a lot lately, thanks to XCOM 2.

aceface

This was probably asked in the other thread but I couldn't find it. Anyone run FFXIV on this? I'd be I interested to see how it performed on the Heavensward benchmark. My current pc is being held together by duct tape and bubblegum and could go at any second, so this could be an option for me down the line.

bede-x

This was probably asked in the other thread but I couldn't find it. Anyone run FFXIV on this? I'd be I interested to see how it performed on the Heavensward benchmark. My current pc is being held together by duct tape and bubblegum and could go at any second, so this could be an option for me down the line.

There's a guy doing it here, but it's been upgraded to 12GB RAM:

http://youtu.be/NUiVd-mqDzI

5895 is his final score.

Top Bottom