• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Steam Machines are un-upgradable, will be released annually

Sorcerer

Mac Minis do fine, don't they?

This particular form factor is nothing new, except for targeting it at gamers.

I'm actually in the middle ground myself and am only disappointed that I have to wait for September to get one.

And I have had my eye on a Mac Mini for a while, funnily enough.

I was just commenting that it seems Alienware seems like its going to have a tough time finding its audience.

DESTROYA

I can see these being successful only if they are priced competitively with current gen consoles. Still interested but the price is going to be a huge factor if adoption rate is going to be at sustainable level.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Exactly! for the price Alienware/DELL will charge it would be just as easy to get a freaking gaming laptop

I've got an MSI GT60 it cost £1000, the closest spec Alienware (that was lower spec) cost £1500, if the Alienware steam box is priced anywhere close to their PC range i'd expect that "competative" price they keep claiming being around the £800-£1100 range

So you didn't bother to actually check some info about it. They already said it will be cheaper than Alienware X51. Maybe you should check the price for that.

In your case I'd be tempted by something like an Intel NUC as a HTPC.
I have thought about it. It is still a contender. Maybe even as a steam machine. Something with a built in standard interface gets high WAF points though. That's why I like a steam machine. We'll see standard key mappings for just about anything that's thrown on there.

Dario ff

Banned
Why buy this if I can just buy a laptop with the same specs? I'm being serious here. A laptop will have more functionality. You can play it anywhere without having to bring a screen with you and you can set it up as a media center if you want to.
I imagine this has way better cooling than a gaming laptop if the custom design of the case on the Valve prototypes is anything to go by. Gaming laptops are pretty risky in that respect (and super noisy). This device should be ideally designed for heavy-duty for several hours rather than power-saving like a laptop.

Apart from the price obviously.

monlo

iPhone set the standard for people to buy new hardware every year regardless of price and competition. You can't blame Alienware for doing this.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Can I use a mouse and keyboard with a console? Can I play exclusives like DOTA, CS:GO (let's not compare the console versions with the PC versions), SC2, and the like on a console? Can I play Indie games like Gone Home and Papers, Please? on a console? Can I hook up a VR helmet like the Rift to a console? Can I install software like XBMC on a console?

There's plenty of reasons to buy this over a console.

The Alienware Steambox is a console.

Garcia

What's the matter? Think of it as you deciding 'next-gen' transitions for yourself. Happy with your current machine and the visual fidelity it's pushing? Then keep it. Wanna make a jump? Buy the newest. Not that i'm saying you need it buy one yearly but one in 2-3 years? Plausible. More choices ain't a bad thing.

Are you being serious? People like you are the reason Alienware is pushing this absurd model based on home consoles.

People buy consoles once every 5+ years because it is an investment that delivers games for as long their life cycle lasts. That's the way it has been since the very beginning.

People that play games on their PCs only do component upgrades to their rigs. Having to buy a new SteamBox every 2 or 3 years is nothing but an overpriced steal. The way I look it SteamBoxes should only serve as an alternative for PC gamers who want to play on their living rooms with huge display screens rather than having to move the entire rig.

Releasing a box that is un-upgradable completely misses the point. It is really stupid.

Edit: grammar.

PG2G

Evidently the only benefit of PC gaming is being able to upgrade your hardware. Obviously the cheap games, free online, an extremely active indie community, and mods aren't a reason someone would consider gaming on a PC.

Come on guys, I'm not a fan of the idea of SteamMachines but some of the logic in this thread is just silly.

xBladeM6x

This is stupid, but I don't / never saw the point in getting a steambox anyways. You can get a PC for just as much or cheaper, and be able to do anything on it, along with gaming. Living room setup? No problem, just buy a long HDMI cable and plug the GPU into the TV.

Momentary

Banned
I highly doubt that Alienware will offer these things at a good price. They outrageously overcharge for that other little system they have now.

wildfire

Banned
The Alienware Steambox is a console.

It shares one attribute with a console which is the fixed hardware. It doesn't have the advantage of being a fixed spec to design for nor does it prevent you from installing your own software. It is still more PC than console.

I highly doubt that Alienware will offer these things at a good price. They outrageously overcharge for that other little system they have now.

Than you never looked at the X51.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd.aspx

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
If they price it right(300$-600$ US) I don't really mind...................this JUST might get me back into PC gaming instead of buying a PS4.

All I want is a clean 1080p with all effects enabled and a steady 30fps for all my games..........I only play 3-4 game a year anyways so for the most part I could care aless about console exclusives.

Maybe eventually Nintendo will release console hardware I'm actually willing to pay for.......these two combined with be gaming panacea for me.

Also being able to dual boot between Win8 and Steam OS would be a requirement as well as external hard drive for installs and media storage.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm ALMOST getting excited for the future of PC gaming.............

A machine like this is perfect as an introduction to PC gaming. Small, fast, cheap, with a controller and a simplified OS, it's the perfect vehicle with which to smoothly transition console gamers to the world of PC gaming.

A machine like this is perfect as an introduction to PC gaming. Small, fast, cheap, with a controller and a simplified OS, it's the perfect vehicle with which to smoothly transition console gamers to the world of PC gaming.

I think so as well. I mean, it hasn't launched yet, so we'll see.

I think so as well. I mean, it hasn't launched yet, so we'll see.

True. Personally, this is exactly what I had in mind when the concept of the Steam Machines first appeared and when Newell was talking about a turnkey solution. A simple, PC-based gaming device that would show people that the console walled gardens are not the only way for living room gaming. I expect the Alienware Steam Machine to be Valve's Nexus device.

Alienware already has a console-sized PC that uses standard PC parts (the x51) that's user upgradeable. It's not unlikely that SteamOS will be an option on the x51 since Linux is already available for it, or you could always install it yourself for free.

The newly revealed Steambox is clearly for a different market segment, since it's smaller, cheaper, and uses laptop parts. It's updated every year because computer makers replace outdated chips are new ones comes out. EVERY PC MAKER ON THE PLANET does this already. Would you throw away your laptop or Macbook because it's refreshed with a newer CPU every year? There might not a market for this thing, but at least it's interesting to see something new in this space.

Valve thinks that choice and options are a good thing for consumers, but based on this thread it seems like the masses are too easily confused.

Eh, GAF is not the masses. The masses don't seem to have any trouble grasping the concept of yearly refreshes of tech products as the iPad clearly shows.

Yeah, the console loyalty makes it hard to get a good read by looking at this thread. We've had people making threads about how Steam Machines are taking a run at consoles for months now, coupled with analysts telling everyone that this is the last home console generation for the past few years. Now that we're learning things about how Steam Machines will differ from consoles, which many of us already assumed, the confirmation bias is kicking in and every difference is a sign that Valve is doomed and consoles are saved.

I think the press definitely has a blame in this. They hyped this initiative up with speculation before its release - then turned their back on it after the announcements - I recall when there was a big press blowout in November a couple of articles had titles like 'Look at Valve's future console' ; 'Valve challenges Sony, MS and Nintendo' ; 'Let's look at Valve's anti-console' ; 'How Valve tries to make consoles obsolete' . Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Very big words there. And among these articles are the Greg Coomer quotes I posted previously. Just what the hell.

Interfectum

I think console manufactures should be worried about Steam Machines to be honest. Not now, not even in 2015 but as Valve keeps iterating the software, hardware, features, games list, etc things will get much more interesting. Imagine a Steam Machine that comes packed with an Oculus Rift. Or a $299 Steam Machine that has triple the power of a console. We are in for some crazy times ahead.

Dolor

I think the press definitely has a blame in this. They hyped this initiative up with speculation before its release - then turned their back on it after the announcements - I recall when there was a big press blowout in November a couple of articles had titles like 'Look at Valve's future console' ; 'Valve challenges Sony, MS and Nintendo' ; 'Let's look at Valve's anti-console' ; 'How Valve tries to make consoles obsolete' . Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Very big words there. And among these articles are the Greg Coomer quotes I posted previously. Just what the hell.

I have been very surprised how negative PC gaming specialized websites have been towards it (PC Gamer, RPS, etc) particularly given the Steam Machines' potential to increase PC gaming's presence in gaming in general.

twofold

I don't think Valve's goal is to take on Nintendo, MS, or Sony at all.

During a lecture given at the University of Texas, Newell said that "Apple has gained a huge amount of market share, and has a relatively obvious pathway toward entering the living room with their platform." He said "I think that there's a scenario where we see sort of a dumbed down living room platform emerging — I think Apple rolls the console guys really easily." Valve's challenge, Newell explains, is to make progress getting a PC in the living room, and to "figure out better ways of addressing mobile.

I bolded the important bit.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/30/3934496/valve-gabe-newell-apple-steam-box-threat

The way I see it, Valve are positioning Steam and Steam Machines to be the high end gaming devices of choice for gamers in the future who aren't satisfied by services like Playstation Now or tablet/whatever gaming.

Interfectum

I don't think Valve's goal is to take on Nintendo, MS, or Sony at all.

I bolded the important bit.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/30/3934496/valve-gabe-newell-apple-steam-box-threat

The way I see it, Valve are positioning Steam and Steam Machines to be the high end gaming devices of choice for gamers in the future who aren't satisfied by services like Playstation Now or tablet/whatever gaming.

Valve isn't talking about taking on consoles yet because they aren't ready to. If Steam Machines are a success they will eat into console sales especially as the years ago by and these machines get better and cheaper. If VR is a success that will be a huge killer app for Steam Machines.

So you didn't bother to actually check some info about it. They already said it will be cheaper than Alienware X51. Maybe you should check the price for that.

so between £600 and £900 depending on spec......so given this is PR bull shit it will be cheaper than the top spec option X51 so like i said £800

If when prices are announced and its anywhere lower than the base model of £599 then i'll eat my hat

Valve isn't talking about taking on consoles yet because they aren't ready to. If Steam Machines are a success they will eat into console sales especially as the years ago by and these machines get better and cheaper. If VR is a success that will be a huge killer app for Steam Machines.

Yup. Valve say they aren't competing with consoles because it's too soon to chase after the console audience in the here and now, but let's not beat around the bush here. Steam Machines are a direct challenge to the consoles' dominance of the living room.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Hope it tanks.

MrGerbils

Am I the only PC gaming master racer who rarely, if ever, upgrades individual components?

I like to max out my budget and build just under top of the line rigs (totally top of the line price:performance ratio doesn't make sense) and game on it until it's basically out of date. By the time I'm ready to upgrade I need a new motherboard to support whatever new processor/RAM is out, and am of course upgrading graphics card, so basically have an entire new rig other than a case and maybe a HDD/SSD or two... which with the price drops in HDDs/SSDs I usually end up getting new ones of that too. So basically just get a new case just so it all feels new.

If I could get the performance I want, for a price that's competitive, I wouldn't care at all if nothing in my PC was upgradeable. But I guess I'm a rare case.

Yup. Valve say they aren't competing with consoles because it's too soon to chase after the console audience in the here and now, but let's not beat around the bush here. Steam Machines are a direct challenge to the consoles' dominance of the living room.

Yeah regardless if they aren't trying to target consoles , they putting at a product that is in a market that consoles usually operate like being priced similar, being a gaming machine , has a controller , powerful and designed for a living room experience . It will indirectly will compete and the average person will most likely see it has one.

troopershades

Neo Member
Am I the only PC gaming master racer who rarely, if ever, upgrades individual components?

I like to max out my budget and build just under top of the line rigs (totally top of the line price:performance ratio doesn't make sense) and game on it until it's basically out of date. By the time I'm ready to upgrade I need a new motherboard to support whatever new processor/RAM is out, and am of course upgrading graphics card, so basically have an entire new rig other than a case and maybe a HDD/SSD or two... which with the price drops in HDDs/SSDs I usually end up getting new ones of that too. So basically just get a new case just so it all feels new.

If I could get the performance I want, for a price that's competitive, I wouldn't care at all if nothing in my PC was upgradeable. But I guess I'm a rare case.

No, you're not alone. My last complete overhaul new from ground up build was about 3 yrs ago or whenever first gen i7s came out. Since then I've upgraded my video card once and only added storage. I anticipate a new build consisting of proc mobo and ram in 2 years or less. Hell by then my vid card will probably need upgrading. We are of same mindset almost when it comes to builds.

I'm like that as well. I'll buy a balanced, bang for buck rig and use it until it dies or starts to show its age too much. Then I'll start from scratch again.
Probably doing it wrong, but it works for me.

Consequently I don't see a real problem with this approach by Alienware. On the other hand I am pretty certain I'll see a problem with their price, but that remains to be seen.

neoanarch

How have they made it "un-upgradable" if it's using PC parts what's stopping us from changing them?

I'm sure someone with enough time and a solder gun won't have any trouble. But custom parts mostly. Like the NUC based Gigabyte Brix Pro. I'm wondering how they could stop you from upgrading HD and Ram though.

wildfire

Banned

You aren't abnormal. When I used to help out in General Hardware of Hardocp a significant number of people I helped were people who built a powerhouse years ago and wanted to make a brand new powerhouse.

Interfectum

PC manufacturer Alienware has clarified an earlier report that its upcoming Steam Machine cannot be upgraded by users.

Owners will not be locked out of modding, the company has now explained, but making alterations to the hardware will not be "easy".

"Enabling customers the opportunity to upgrade components has been a core tenet for Alienware since the company was founded, and that remains true today," Alienware boss Frank Azor explained to Eurogamer in a statement today.

"The Alienware Steam Machine, announced at CES, is designed to deliver a great gaming experience in the living room and we will enable customers to upgrade components. Considering we've purposefully designed the Alienware Steam Machine to be smaller than the latest generation consoles, upgrading the internal components will not be as easy as compared to other platforms, such as the Alienware X51, but we will not prevent a customer from upgrading."

This should be put in the OP.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
if it is using laptop parts (seems sensible to get that kind of size), then you are left with two options

1) upgrade the ram (shouldn't really be necessary, assuming it ships with 8GB)
2) upgrade the GPU (will be cost prohibitive as mobile GPUs that can be replaced in eg gaming laptops are crazy expensive - better value to sell the machine and buy another one with the specs you want)

so nothing actually changes in practice, yet now everyone will calm down as though everything is just fine.

Nymerio

I don't get the fuss, you don't have to upgrade annually and there will be steam machines the will be upgradable if that's what you want. It's just another option. If it's not for you go for something else.

Slavik81

People that play games on their PCs only do component upgrades to their rigs. Having to buy a new SteamBox every 2 or 3 years is nothing but an overpriced steal. The way I look it SteamBoxes should only serve as an alternative for PC gamers who want to play on their living rooms with huge display screens rather than having to move the entire rig.

Releasing a box that is un-upgradable completely misses the point. It is really stupid.
Many PC gamers don't upgrade anything. It's quite possible that your CPU becomes a bottleneck around the same time as your GPU... And if you're going to be replacing the CPU you're basically replacing the whole thing anyways, since sockets keep changing.

This is definitely not for everyone, but it will probably work nicely for some people. Personally, I'll probably wait a few refreshes before choosing a steambox.

I have thought about it. It is still a contender. Maybe even as a steam machine. Something with a built in standard interface gets high WAF points though. That's why I like a steam machine. We'll see standard key mappings for just about anything that's thrown on there.

I just have a mac mini that boots into Plex or XBMC (I've been going back and forth between them) and all my wife needs to operate it is an apple remote control. Gets top WAF marks.

Of course you'll need external storage, for which I have an unraid server that works beautifully.

If I ever decide to game on PC I might get one of those Steam boxes provided they form factor is close to the mac mini and they're completely silent.

Top Bottom