• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Steam Machines are un-upgradable, will be released annually

mclem

Of course you don't need to buy a new one every year.

Still yearly update seems unnecessary and a bit overkill.

One thing that *is* worrying me about the Steam Machine setup is how it'll go about conveying to the average user that a given game will play adequately on their system. If they're trying to get a console-like feel, that's an issue that'll need to be solved.

Orca

Yearly refreshes is not going to help the casual consumer the Steam machines were supposedly targeting.

iammeiam

The big one being "Will this run on my PC, and if so, how well will it run?" That experience on a console is determined for you, and you can rest easy knowing that it's the same for everyone.

I think this might be exactly why the Alienware SteamBox isn't going to be user-configurable; this was a game can just say "Compatible with Alienware Steam Boxes 2015+, 2016+ recommended" and not expect the buyer to keep track of individual specs. It's an interesting compromise between PC's constant upgrades and consoles seven-year cycle.

I will be curious to find out how locked-down the hardware is on production models. Everything soldered in-place? Or accessible and swappable but touching it voids warranty?

One thing that *is* worrying me about the Steam Machine setup is how it'll go about conveying to the average user that a given game will play adequately on their system. If they're trying to get a console-like feel, that's an issue that'll need to be solved.

I think they said they have some plans regarding that, using data from the hardware survey. Steam would tell people how said game would run on their system and what potential upgrade they'll need.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
fuck that then

Even then, someone will surely find a way to open it and upgrade it.

And if they don't, there's other/better options to go than Alienware. So Alienware are just shooting themselves in the foot on that front.

Sorcerer

Alienware/Dell does not want their Steam Machines to compete with X51's obviously.

It makes sense for a pc vendor to offer a new model every year. They have the capability and access to the parts to do such a thing.

It would be strange for Alienware to be selling the 2014 model of the Steam Machine in 2019.

Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo do not have the luxury and must be locked in,

nkarafo

Guys, guys. Just because they release a new version every year doesn't mean you have to buy a new one every year to play.
Are you sure? Because these machines will play PC games. PC games are never optimized for a certain hardware. Game developers will want to cater to the newer hardware versions probably.

Jaxbrah

Banned

I think steam machines are a joke to begin with considering the biggest advantage a console has is a closed system in which game devs take advantage of and can really push the hardware to the extreme, making updrading every year unnecessary. With strambox the games you are playing are pc games designed without a closed system in mind, thus making steam boxes obsolete just as quickly as video cards.

On the other hand, if this alienware is $500 or less then be honest with yourselves. Most pc gamers spends more than that every single year anyway upgrading their rigs. Whats the difference here? Especially if it can max any game out in 1080p and locked 60fps? Most people spend atleast $1500 building a rig to acheie b e that. If this can achieve that at $500 then really you are getting a better value with the alienware. That same $1500 you spent on that single rig thay will need additional upgrading in 12 months time, will get you a brand new alienware steambox every year for 3 years. In those 3 years you would probably spend an additional $1000-1500 upgrading your existing $1500 rig. So for the same pperformance over 3 years ab alienware steambox sets you back $1500, whereas your own customized rig seta you back atleast $3000

Inb4 alienware prices it at $1000 and renders my entire post ppoitless

Kinthalis

Banned
I really don't get the negativity towards Stema MAchines... a lot of you guys sound JUST liek the naysayers when Steam itself was annoucned. And now look at it.

Valve isn't playing by console terms. And they are playing a very long game.

Now, these machiens have limited appeal, I don't think anyone can argue that point (with the exception fo the cheaper stremaing only versions at least - I know I'm interestedin one of those).

But in 3 years? When you can pick one up that trashes a PS4 in terms of specs, probably has a much larger game library than PS4, and probably features new technologues to immerse you further in the game (Oculus, 1600p/4K, etc)?

That's when people will start to bite, just like they did last gen. No one made PC gamer easier. It kind of got easier as technologies evolved, and people flocked to it because of new genre's new types of games, and more powerful hardware.

Same thing will happen this gen, except with Valve actively pushing these thigns to market, it'll happen even faster.

I wouldn't be suprised to see 15 million concurrent Steam users come winter sale 2016/2017.

Finster

Alienware doesn't get it.

This. And not just Alienware. Razer as well. Nowhere was this more apparent than at CES. Project Christine. A high-end modular gaming PC targeted at extreme PC power users... except for those users PC's are already completely modular.

It's like high-end PC manufacturers are trying to make themselves obsolete.

Mrbob

I guess I can understand people being mad over not being able to upgrade, but if you are buying a Steam Machine were you really going to upgrade in the first place? Otherwise I don't get the anger. A Steam Machine released in September 2013 is going to be more powerful than the PS4 or XB1, and future iterations will be even more powerful. You are worried games won't run on your initial Steam Machine but will on PS4 or XB1 why?? Hardware updates every year, so might as well take advantage of it.

mclem

On the other hand, if this alienware is $500 or less then be honest with yourselves. Most pc gamers spends more than that every single year anyway upgrading their rigs.

Now, I admit I'm only really on the periphery of PC gaming, but... I don't buy it.

Interfectum

I really don't get the negativity towards Stema MAchines... a lot of you guys sound JUST liek the naysayers when Steam itself was annoucned. And now look at it.

Valve isn't playing by console terms. And they are playing a very long game.

I agree. I think by 2016 people will be like "what is the fucking point of a Steam Ma.... ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

uScwrTH.gif

What's the point? It's not like developers were going to create their games specifically for your hardware.

Buy an entire, non-upgradable gaming PC every year without the actual benefits of a closed platform? How about no?

louiedog

On the plus side for people who do care about upgrading, their machines will probably be very sleek and slim. Design can also be a selling point no?

Slim is good and I'd pay more for a well built system in a nice form factor, but I don't think I've ever looked at Alienware design as something attractive so for me that won't be enough.

So many people missing the point and not understanding.

SteamMachines and SteamOS is all about options and flexibility.

HW company A (Alienware) decides to build not upgreadable SM but launch new versions each year, very small form factor and possibly cheap.
HW company B decides to build high end SM with all the flexibility of a PC
HW company C decides they will build 3 tiers of SMs retaining flexibilty in upgrading
John Doe decides he is making his own SM

edit: I have not built my own PC yet, still thinking about the power and how much I will spend, because I already have a other consoles and my gaming time is limited.

On the AlienWare thing is not like you will have to upgrade each year, the option will be there but you could do 2 years. Looking at their model it will be a small form factor that I guess won't be high end, so it will probably be cheap.

Cutebrute

You know, the audience this Steam Machine is meant to appeal to probably doesn't care if this thing is upgradable or not. The Alienware Steam Machine is not supposed to appeal to PCGAF as a primary gaming device. Calm down, people.

That was obvious given the tiny size and considering it's supposed to be cheap.

mclem

I guess I can understand people being mad over not being able to upgrade, but if you are buying a Steam Machine were you really going to upgrade in the first place?

Actually, that's another thing. We'll see how the technology holds out, but I find it hard to find a compelling reason to not buy a cheap Steam Machine (or, like I intend to, use your existing laptop) and then *stream* everything you want from a sufficiently powerful, easily-upgradable desktop.

There's only one way I can see this making any sense whatsoever...

...that would be if you send your old one back to them, and they send you the upgraded model for a slight upgrade fee instead of having to pay for a whole new one every year.

They would then take the old ones and upgrade them and send them back out with newer tech as well.

They'd treat the Steam boxes like propane tank refills for a gas grill.

Otherwise.... fuck that.

mclem

Exactly. No more "this generation has overstayed their welcome"

That's not actually any different from what PCs were doing already, though, is it? Power progression is still going to be dictated by where the majority of the money lies, and I expect that to remain on consoles for at least the foreseeable future.

Durante

So many people missing the point and not understanding.

SteamMachines and SteamOS is all about options and flexibility.

HW company A (Alienware) decides to build not upgreadable SM but launch new versions each year, very small form factor and possibly cheap.
HW company B decides to build high end SM with all the flexibility of a PC
HW company C decides they will build 3 tiers of SMs retaining flexibilty in upgrading
John Doe decides he is making his own SM
Exactly. I really have to wonder to which degree the blatant misunderstandings in these threads are willful. Perhaps people really are that conditioned to the console ecosystem, but it really doesn't seem that complicated to me.

If this option doesn't appeal to you then by all means don't buy it. But there are certainly people out there who wouldn't upgrade anyway, and who appreciate the savings in space and/or cost that are afforded by fixed specs.

This. And not just Alienware. Razer as well. Nowhere was this more apparent than at CES. Project Christine. A high-end modular gaming PC targeted at extreme PC power users... except for those users PC's are already completely modular.

It's like high-end PC manufacturers are trying to make themselves obsolete.

The Project Christine design is something that would get me back onboard PC gaming and upgrade paths. No more cracking open the box and dealing with wires and motherboards and all that nonsense. Just plugging components in like cartridges.

Interfectum

Perhaps people really are that conditioned to the console ecosystem, but it really doesn't seem that complicated to me.

Part of it is exactly this.

Some people want one box with no other options available. No one should have a better or worse box. Lots of people were ecstatic when both next-gen consoles announced only one SKU. Less options! Woot!

Hari Seldon

I'm out, I don't see the point if I can't upgrade it. Better off getting a locked down box like PS4/X1.

You can upgrade, just build your own lol. This is for casuals who don't know how to build their own, or for people who want really small form factors.

Cryoflar3

To be honest, I don't understand the negative reaction at all. This is obviously very good news for people who want the "console experience" on PC. Fixed hardware means that developers can target those specs for a number of years as a sort of baseline. It seems to me that this is what many of us wanted, a base level of hardware that devs can target?

there are 13 steam boxes in development so there's already no standard hardware. And if the hardware changes every year you still stuck with a moving target.

Yopis

Wow guess they are trying phone model with their box. Might still grab one down the line but that has taken a hit for sure.

Hari Seldon

there are 13 steam boxes in development so there's already no standard hardware. And if the hardware changes every year you still stuck with a moving target.

The hardware changes every year no matter what Alienware does. Why would you buy a full price PC in 2016 with 2014 specs? That is console nonsense that has no place in the PC ecosystem.

AHA-Lambda

As much as I don't like the sound of this on the face of it, IF the price is good enough and you can get enough mileage out of it for 4-5 years like a console, it could work out quite well.

But those are some pretty big ifs, I admit to not knowing much about PC hardware, hence why steamboxes appealed to me.

Top Bottom