• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All 30 Oculus Rift launch titles revealed - each with a "comfort" level

We’re excited to announce the 30 VR games launching with Rift on March 28! This incredible lineup represents years of work from a global community of developers who are pioneering the future of VR.

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/introducing-30-games-coming-to-oculus-on-march-28/

Introducing the games coming to Oculus video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN6YCFlS8nU

Launch line-up video from Tested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD4LF-9ou6E&feature=youtu.be

The list, below, includes a couple of surprises: there are Oculus Rift versions of The Astronauts' thriller The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and Slightly Mad Studios' racing game Project Cars.

Also of note: Oculus includes a "comfort" level for each game, which should act as a useful guide for those concerned about motion sickness.

There are three levels of comfort: "intense", "moderate" and "comfortable". Eurogamer editor Oli Welsh, who tried out the Oculus Rift launch games at the Game Developers Conference this week, said intense games are mostly first-person, or third-person with a fast-moving camera such as racing games, moderate games are third-person with a slow-moving camera, and comfortable games have fixed camera that may switch view, but don't move.

Space game Elite Dangerous, for example, is considered intense, probably because of all the spaceship dogfighting involved. Eve Gunjack is labelled moderate. And Pinball FX V2 is considered comfortable.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...nch-titles-revealed-each-with-a-comfort-level

wDR9BF5.png

Mdk7

The "comfort" level is indeed a smart move, even if the reaction to VR will be very subjective.

jaypah

What do they mean rift version of project cars? I have project cars already, it better work with a patch.

It still runs jankily on my 290x in VR. Even with almost everything on low and no crowds. I can only hit 75fps here and there in a 4 car race with no rain. Of course some tracks fare better than others but that's the worst case scenario.

What do they mean rift version of project cars? I have project cars already, it better work with a patch.

I don't think they've talked about being able to launch non-Home games and apps from Home (like non-Steam from Steam) but your Oculus will work with it outside of this ecosystem, I believe.

They said that some of these 30 games use the touch controllers but am I not correct in saying that these haven't even been released yet with the Headset?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter VR has been talk about for quite a long time. Glad that its been (re)confirmed.

ADR1FT, Elite Dangerous, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Project Cars Eve Valkyrie are some key titles there.

So do titles bought on the GearVR Oculus store come across to the Rift Oculus Store?

There are three of those day one games I already own.

Unison

I can't judge the prices on these games, since I don't know how much content they will have, but they do strike me as a bit high compared to what you'd find on the Steam Store.

I can't judge the prices on these games, since I don't know how much content they will have, but they do strike me as a bit high compared to what you'd find on the Steam Store.

Most seem fair to me. 21 of the 30 launch games are $10-20.

They said that some of these 30 games use the touch controllers but am I not correct in saying that these haven't even been released yet with the Headset?

Correct, but if they're out pre-Touch release they'll support controller too.

I don't think they've talked about being able to launch non-Home games and apps from Home (like non-Steam from Steam) but your Oculus will work with it outside of this ecosystem, I believe.

This is already confirmed by Palmer when they launched the pre-orders. You can play Project Cars or whatever from Steam on the Oculus Rift.
It would be DOA if it wouldn't and at that point, why would someone buy games from the Oculus store if you can buy them from Steam.

Those Oculus exclusives are also quite expensive imo, The Climb and Chronos for 50 euro? That's AAA-territory.

Definitely in for ADR1FT and Chronos (and of course EVE: Valkyrie but I'm getting that free). Might finally jump in to Elite as well even though I don't know if that's really my type of game, and Ethan Carter. Need to check out the rest (really curious about the Adventure Time one lol).

It's certainly starting to feel like a launch. In exciting ways but also bad ways. There's a great deal of variety. I can't remember being this excited about a hardware launch since the Wii. But it also has some ropey, experimental quality stuff. Good to see there's some variety in pricing.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Supply and demand. You can't compare prices on a platform with 100 million customers to another with 0.25 million customers.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Coolest looking launch game has to be Adr1ft. $19.99 price tag though. Is it like a 2 hour game or something? I have a buddy who is getting one so I can't wait to check a lot of these out. Hopefully I don't get a massive headache like I did the first time around using one.

LAA

Comfort level is definitely a good move. People can't be expecting to put on VR headsets and not to feel anything from what they're seeing, so hopefully with this people can try and become immune to VR's effects.

Oculus Store FAQ
Q: Is there a refund policy for downloaded content?

A: All software purchases from the Oculus Store are final, and unless required by local law, no refunds will be provided.
Definitely feel more comfortable buying VR games from Steam in light of their review policy. Feeling nauseous is going to make me insta refund. EU Oculus owners will be covered by local laws.

YuShtink

There's a lot of diverse quality in that line-up. Even a lot of the smaller ones and the "Best of GearVR" stuff is all really good stuff.

Chronos looks very cool and seems like a meaty game. I think I'll be purchasing that Day 1.

Defense Grid 2 sounds like a really comfortable, chill experience, you can even play with just the little Oculus Remote. Day 1 for me.

I didn't even know about Smashing The Battle but it looks great, might have to get Day 1.

I already have E:D and Blazerush, both are fantastic VR games.

And of course we all get Lucky's Tale and Eve.

But I also want Adrift, Windlands, Smashing The Battle, Damaged Core, Omega Agent, Herobound, Radial-G, this list goes on lol...

Nzyme32

There's a lot of diverse quality in that line-up. Even a lot of the smaller ones and the "Best of GearVR" stuff is all really good stuff.

Chronos looks very cool and seems like a meaty game. I think I'll be purchasing that Day 1.

Defense Grid 2 sounds like a really comfortable, chill experience, you can even play with just the little Oculus Remote. Day 1 for me.

I didn't even know about Smashing The Battle but it looks great, might have to get Day 1.

I already have E:D and Blazerush, both are fantastic VR games.

And of course we all get Lucky's Tale and Eve.

But I also want Adrift, Windlands, Smashing The Battle, DamageCore, Omega Agent, Herobound, Radial-G, this list goes on lol...

Defender Grid 2 gets quite frantic later on, assuming the game is the same as standard. At that point, it is not relaxing :p amazing game, not quite as great as the first was though

That Eurogamer quote about Elite Dangerous being "Intense" because of the dogfighting is incorrect, that doesn't make people feel sick at all. It's because of the buggy you ride out on planets, the SRV - that thing bounces and flips and doesn't feel like you're in a cockpit. That is the part of Elite that will make people sick.

Oculus Store FAQ

Definitely feel more comfortable buying VR games from Steam in light of their review policy. Feeling nauseous is going to make me insta refund. EU Oculus owners will be covered by local laws.
That's what the comfort rating is for, so you know not to buy something that will make you feel nauseous.

YuShtink

Defender Grid 2 gets quite frantic later on, assuming the game is the same as standard. At that point, it is not relaxing :p amazing game, not quite as great as the first was though

Haha yea I know it definitely gets mentally frantic for sure, I just meant chill in the sense that you aren't really being moved around in the game.

That Eurogamer quote about Elite Dangerous being "Intense" because of the dogfighting is incorrect, that doesn't make people feel sick at all. It's because of the buggy you ride out on planets, the SRV - that thing bounces and flips and doesn't feel like you're in a cockpit. That is the part of Elite that will make people sick.

That's what the comfort rating is for, so you know not to buy something that will make you feel nauseous.

Whether it will make you feel nauseous or not will still vary from person to person. That's why return policies for these sorts of games need to be standard. There's no reason to apologize for failing to have a proper return policy in 2016. Euros certainly won't have to simply "deal with it". I think the early complication here is that some of these experiences are so short, you could probably experience most it has to offer in a couple of hours. Hopefully Oculus adjusts this policy at some point in the near future.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So 'intense' basically meaning that you can play it for around 30 minutes until the nausea kicks in?

I really hope the stories about people vomiting are exaggerated. But seeing that VR developer comment in the other thread about 7 out of 10 people in the office experiencing nausea, i'm really hesitant.

Nzyme32

Haha yea I know it definitely gets mentally frantic for sure, I just meant chill in the sense that you aren't really being moved around in the game.

Yeah. Personally I am really hoping they are not using "head aiming" as I call it, for selection of objects and things. That shit gets tiresome and infuriating with gearvr, and I don't want to see it as a norm for strategy or other games that will become more aggressive later on

Bsigg12

The launch lineup looks pretty good. It's weird that Minecraft wasn't mentioned, I wonder when that is coming.

So will rift games work with vive and vice versa?

Not necessarily. Anything published by Oculus is likely using the Oculus SDK which doesn't support the Vive. People will have to add Vive support to play those games.

Fret

All of those games I could play on my DK2, why would I buy another Rift for the exact same experience? Blows my mind that they're not releasing with Touch - there's really not much fun to be had with seated controller VR.

Jimrpg

This should have been something they announced at the same time as the preorder. Now that the list is out, I don't really see any 'must have' games there. The best games look to be racing games or space sims.

All of those games I could play on my DK2, why would I buy another Rift for the exact same experience? Blows my mind that they're not releasing with Touch - there's really not much fun to be had with seated controller VR.

I feel the same way. Making people use the headset with a regular xbox one controller doesn't really get the full VR experience across.

So 'intense' basically meaning that you can play it for around 30 minutes until the nausea kicks in?

No, it means if you're susceptible to motion sickness in VR there's a higher chance you'll experience it in that game. Perhaps after 30 minutes, perhaps immediately, perhaps never. I've played 4-5 hour Elite sessions without feeling any discomfort whatsoever. Each individual is going to have to test their limits in VR, and once you know what you can handle you'll know what you should avoid. The comfort rating will help with that.

I really hope the stories about people vomiting are exaggerated.

I've literally never seen or heard of anyone actually throwing up as a result of VR. It might well have happened to someone, but that extreme certainly isn't common. It's more a nauseating/dizzy feeling that makes you want to lie down.

Top Bottom