• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All 30 Oculus Rift launch titles revealed - each with a "comfort" level

Fret

I feel the same way. Making people use the headset with a regular xbox one controller doesn't really get the full VR experience across.

Yeah, imo it's a huge waste of money at this point to buy a Rift - there's no actual gameplay benefits over the DK2. Sure, the headset is probably way more comfortable but it's the same shit we've had for years - sit down for an hour playing Elite Dangerous with a controller and have some fun but eventually grow tired of it. All of the games in that video look identical VR wise.

Room scale and/or motion controllers are the killer app. Incredibly disappointing move by Oculus

That is actually a better list than I expected.

Why does Lucky's Tale say 'Bundled', but EVE: Valkyrie does not?

Wasnt Eve just bundled for preorders? Maybe Luckys Tale is in every Oculus, even when you dont need to preorder it, but Eve you need to buy if you wanna buy Oculus after the preorder phase.

So 'intense' basically meaning that you can play it for around 30 minutes until the nausea kicks in?
It will depend entirely on the person. "Intense" might not be intense at all for you, and it may be completely untenable to others.

Seems to me like some of these games need proper Demos if they aren't willing to offer standard refunds in case of sickness.

Anyone knows whether I have to buy DG2 again to have a VR version?

Kinda sucks...

It's a stand-alone product. If you on Elite: Dangerous you won't have to buy that again. Apparently Project CARS will get compatibility for existing owners sooner or later...but not at launch. If you already own Project CARS but want to play it at launch on the 28th, you'll need to buy it again. :-/

Soi-Fong

It will depend entirely on the person. "Intense" might not be intense at all for you, and it may be completely untenable to others.

Seems to me like some of these games need proper Demos if they aren't willing to offer standard refunds in case of sickness.

Elite Dangerous only gets intense for me when I do constant barrel rolls otherwise I'm completely fine.

Man

Happy to see Chronos is a launch game. They have been praising it similarly they did Land's End prior to GearVR release. A launch champion if you will.

edit: Seems like PC World think's the same:

I think Chronos will be the breakout hit of the Oculus Rift launch lineup among dedicated PC gamers. It doesn’t have the wow factor of other VR games—the intensity of EVE Valkyrie or the immersion of motion-based Touch and Vive games. But from what I’ve played, it’s a savvy adventure game that takes elements of Zelda, Dark Souls, and Resident Evil, and blends them into something alluring. Fixed camera angles give it a bit of an old school vibe, but also smartly avoid VR motion sickness issues. This isn’t the one you’re going to show friends and family to prove how cool VR is. It’s the one you’re going to play alone for three hour stretches, totally absorbed in the journey.
http://www.pcgamer.com/all-31-oculus-rift-launch-games-our-take-on-a-strong-launch-lineup/

Elite Dangerous only gets intense for me when I do constant barrel rolls otherwise I'm completely fine.

Don't scare me. I've put probably 2,000 hours into Elite and it is almost the singular reason why I'm buying into VR as an early adopter. If ED makes me sick I'm sending my VR stuff right back or putting it on eBay.

It's a stand-alone product. If you on Elite: Dangerous you won't have to buy that again. Apparently Project CARS will get compatibility for existing owners sooner or later...but not at launch. If you already own Project CARS but want to play it at launch on the 28th, you'll need to buy it again. :-/

This kinda sucks...

I mean it shouldnt matter on PC in which store I buy it to get the VR-modes. Afaik for Adr1ft you need to prove you have an Oculus when you buy it through Steam to get an Oculus key for their Store, since on Steam it wont be Oculus compatible.

Vanmunt

Banned

Regarding the project cars statement, is that correct. I will be pretty miffed if that's the case.

Yeah, I don't consider that VR motion sickness in the same sense (if you're talking about the same thing I am). When I do a barrel roll, sometimes my stomach drops like it does when you go over a hill on a rollercoaster. A 2 second thing that I actually kinda enjoy as it feels realistic. But I've never had to take the rift off and lie down for 30 minutes due to a prolonged bout of nausea which is what I consider the bad VR motion sickness that should be avoided at all costs.

Soi-Fong

Don't scare me. I've put probably 2,000 hours into Elite and it is almost the singular reason why I'm buying into VR as an early adopter. If ED makes me sick I'm sending my VR stuff right back or putting it on eBay.

Not scaring you, just being honest. Constant barrel rolls results in your brain expecting movement from the inner ear.

Different things will cause it. For example, inside space stations I try not to do any crazy movements as the station moving around me constantly will get to me.

Around space it's a bit better since there's really no point of reference for the horizon so your brain is better with it.

Yeah, I don't consider that VR motion sickness in the same sense (if you're talking about the same thing I am). When I do a barrel roll, sometimes my stomach drops like it does when you go over a hill on a rollercoaster. A 2 second thing that I actually kinda enjoy as it feels realistic. But I've never had to take the rift off and lie down for 30 minutes due to a prolonged bout of nausea which is what I consider the bad VR motion sickness that should be avoided at all costs.

I'd say it's actually really similar to the kind of "sickness" you get when reading a book from a moving car in the back with the driver making constant turns.

Not scaring you, just being honest. Constant barrel rolls results in your brain expecting movement from the inner ear.

Different things will cause it. For example, inside space stations I try not to do any crazy movements as the station moving around me constantly will get to me.

Around space it's a bit better since there's really no point of reference for the horizon so your brain is better with it.

I'd say it's actually really similar to the kind of "sickness" you get when reading a book from a moving car in the back with the driver making constant turns.

Makes sense. Welp, we'll see soon enough. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. But if I am, I have a perfectly good 32" 21:9 monitor I can continue gaming on.

I feel like I'd rather wait to play games like Windlands and The Climb when the Oculus Touch comes out.

given how much fun people playing with Vive touch controllers are having with Windlands, I'd be inclined to agree.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Can't wait.
Excited for a lot of these. The comfort levels are a fantastic idea.

Wish I would get a shipping update on mine. I'm sure it won't come in the first batch, but that would be a pleasant surprise.

taco543

I already pre ordered a vive but the one I'm most jealous of has to be Lucky's tale. Can't wait to hear peoples thoughts on the game. A strong looking line up too.

Soi-Fong

Makes sense. Welp, we'll see soon enough. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. But if I am, I have a perfectly good 32" 21:9 monitor I can continue gaming on.

given how much fun people playing with Vive touch controllers are having with Windlands, I'd be inclined to agree.

I'm curious what videocard are you planning on using for this?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Personally, if I was launching a VR system this year, I would not be worried about making money on software. I'd treat the store as cost recovery at best for the next few years. The main thing is making sure people who buy the hardware have a flow of software, and are comfortable getting used to the control and gameplay paradigms.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have launched Oculus Home, but I think having pain points embedded in the store (no refunds, no paypal support, no local content sharing between accounts) is a bad idea. I also think launching with a barebones store/client is a bad idea. Not one they can't fix with further development, but personally I'd like to see them really hungry to make customers satisfied. Because these first few years are really going to have an effect on how people perceive VR going forward. Beyond refunds, I would also think demos or VR-enabled trailers would be a good idea. You want people to be very happy with the decisions they make. Saying "well, do your research first and if you don't like it, tough shit" is a bad way to start off.

The comfort rating is cool and a good idea, though!

Sky Chief

From my personal experience I'm having trouble with their comfort ratings. Project Cars and Elite Dangerous are both very comfortable experiences yet labeled "Intense" while there are many more VR games such as Technolust that are way more intense for me personally. I just feel like their rating scale is way too limited and not very accurate in my personal experience.

I'm curious what videocard are you planning on using for this?

I have a 980Ti

From my personal experience I'm having trouble with their comfort ratings. Project Cars and Elite Dangerous are both very comfortable experiences yet labeled "Intense" while there are many more VR games such as Technolust that are way more intense for me personally. I just feel like their rating scale is way too limited and not very accurate in my personal experience.

This wouldn't be so concerning if not for the lack of proper refunds. The rating system is going to affect people differently and you simply won't know if a game is or is not too much for you until you buy it. It's just not a good look. Hopefully Oculus will revise that policy.

War Eagle

I will be getting:

• Luckey's Tale (included)
  • Eve Valkyrie (included)
  • ADRIFT
  • Chronos
  • Windlands

Do we know what the criteria for the comfort rating are? Do they mean how prone it is ti VR sickness? How intense the game itself is? I'm a bit confused here.

Now if I only knew when my Rift is shipping.

Reallink

Those prices are high for a lot of these games, which will no doubt turn out being hour experiences at best. The people who were having round tables about Firewatch are gonna have a field day here. Safe to assume why there are no refunds. I can't even begin to imagine how The Climb could be a $50 package/value.

bee

i like the comfort rating but having played a few of these titles in vr already i cant really agree on dread halls and ethan carter being intense motion sickness wise, the walk speed is slow enough in both that i had zero issues, eve is certainly worthy of the rating though i think that's gonna make quite a few people sick

live for speed should also be a launch title or at the latest a few days after, expecting full support in the next iracing build as well but would prefer a hotfix!

Frozone

Adrift
Chronos
Time Machine VR

Will be my lineup along with already purchased Elite: Dangerous and EVE: Valkyrie.

Frozone

Interesting that Alien:Isolation isn't on that list. It "unofficially" supported Oculus Rift. And it was very nauseating. Could only play for like 15mins at a time.

i like the comfort rating but having played a few of these titles in vr already i cant really agree on dread halls and ethan carter being intense motion sickness wise, the walk speed is slow enough in both that i had zero issues, eve is certainly worthy of the rating though i think that's gonna make quite a few people sick

live for speed should also be a launch title or at the latest a few days after, expecting full support in the next iracing build as well but would prefer a hotfix!

The fact there is walking, even if it's slow, it's enough for some people to make it nauseating.

Sky Chief

Interesting that Alien:Isolation isn't on that list. It "unofficially" supported Oculus Rift. And it was very nauseating. Could only play for like 15mins at a time.

I think they're trying to distance themselves from games that are not officially supported because that game gave me the worst VR sickness I have ever had

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Do we know what the criteria for the comfort rating are? Do they mean how prone it is ti VR sickness? How intense the game itself is? I'm a bit confused here.

I'm not a total expert on this, but I believe a major objective criteria is what kind of camera movement the game has.

Tain

Alien's VR implementation was goofball (the orientation reset command took your pitch and roll into account lol) but I found it playable and I'd love to try a slightly cleaned up version.

YuShtink

Yeah, imo it's a huge waste of money at this point to buy a Rift - there's no actual gameplay benefits over the DK2. Sure, the headset is probably way more comfortable but it's the same shit we've had for years - sit down for an hour playing Elite Dangerous with a controller and have some fun but eventually grow tired of it. All of the games in that video look identical VR wise.

Room scale and/or motion controllers are the killer app. Incredibly disappointing move by Oculus

What are you going on about? First of all DK2 wasn't up to "presence" specs. Second, 95% of all DK2 content was unfinished demos, or unpolished if not broken implimentation. These will be polished, full titles with a lot more gameplay and depth. Outside of E:D, what full games have you played on the Rift in any kind of capacity?

And I hate to break it to you, but closing and opening drawers in VR is only going to be "fun" for so many times before it all becomes normal and boring too. Acting like seated VR is already yesterday's news is insanity. We haven't even scratched the surface.

And I hate to break it to you, but closing and opening drawers in VR is only going to be "fun" for so many times before it all becomes normal and boring too.
Let us also not be so sophomoric as to suggest anything other than seated VR will boil down to "closing and opening drawers". Like, don't do that. You rob your own argument of any validity.

YuShtink

Let us also not be so sophomoric as to suggest anything other than seated VR will boil down to "closing and opening drawers". Like, don't do that. You rob your own argument of any validity.

My point is that the wow factor of every tech wears off after a while. We're going to run out of new interactions that are possible with wands pretty quickly. Wands don't work for everything. Acting like wand controllers are the be all end all of VR and nothing else is worth playing is just wrong.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yea, nobody is going to offer AAA titles built from the ground up for VR in the foreseeable future even if that's the LRP. Doing so would mean not making a product that can be run by the vast majority who have a PS4 but not a PSVR. I'm not sure what threshold PSVR needs to reach to make creating a AAA game exclusively for the platform and not for the PS4 proper becomes a viable strategy...but it won't be in year one. Not unless Sony is willing to put some money behind it to help make up the difference (in which case AAA could come at any time).

I suspect it will also depend on software attach rates (for 3rd parties at least). I'd assume when hitting 1 million in sales is a realistic possibility we'll see AAA games developed for it by devs not bankrolled by Sony. And that will benefit all of VR, as ports are sure to come to PC with low risk.

TheRed

For a game like The Climb will it feel weird to play it sitting down? Brain would probably be like wtf lol but I like to do stupid things

A great set of games, I'm particularly excited about AirMech: Command - it looks a lot like one of my favorite Genesis games, Herzog Zwei, and in VR will be like playing a board game where the pieces come to life.

Top Bottom