• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All firmware updatable 8Bitdo controllers are now Switch compatible!

C.Mongler

Isn't it missing just L2 and R2 If It is the snes one with two sticks ?

Or that one isn't compatible?

I think you mean NES one with two sticks (NES30 Pro); there isn't a SNES variant with two sticks yet. The Pro ones have L2/R2 buttons on them. The shoulders are largely the first, and then a smaller portion towards the center serves as the second. I don't recall if the sticks click in as the tertiary trigger though, I think they do. I'll have to check when I get home. Other than that, the only buttons it would be missing is the home and screenshot buttons, though they may have the ability to map one of the two "system" buttons (the controller's power button or its sync button) to the home button, but I'm not really sure how that would work if they did.

D.Lo

Isn't it missing just L2 and R2 If It is the snes one with two sticks ?

Or that one isn't compatible?
Stick clicks, gyro, rumble, NFC. Many games simply will not work, eg Zelda, but that's okay these will be good for single joycon games.

I was looking for something like this!

Those 2 SNES packs seems great for this.

Now I have to look if I have someone in the US right now that is coming to Peru to send the package to his place...

The struggle of not having Amazon available in my country.

I used to own one of the 8bitdo models that had dual analog sticks, but I wdnt impressed with it much. The buttons and dpad both felt pretty mediocre.

Do the ones without analog sticks (the NES/SNES looking ones) feel better and more like Nintendo controllers, or are they the same as the analog stick models?

I was looking for something like this!

Those 2 SNES packs seems great for this.

Now I have to look if I have someone in the US right now that is coming to Peru to send the package to his place...

The struggle of not having Amazon available in my country.

Does massdrop ship to Peru? I believe it's on there for a bit cheaper than Amazon at the moment

Tealmann

Do those have every Switch button? Seriously considering one instead of the overpriced Pro controller.

NES30PRO has everything except the share and home buttons.
It's also missing gyro, rumble, and amiibo, but you should be able to play most games with it.

Phoenixus

So, Wii U controller pro support is just one firmware update away right?

please?

Oh my god I want this. Happy to lose the screenshot button to make it happen.

So these 8bitdo controllers would just attach to the switch wirelessly? As in no receiver needed?

I have a SNES30 and a SFC30, how do they get recognized as? single joycons?

This might get me reconsider buying USFII also would use these for playing VC Games on switch.

Can't wait to try this with the SNES one I use with my Raspberry Pi, and yes it is a solid pad!

Amen to that. I use the NES30 Pro, and it straight up sings for me on everything from Playstation right on down to NES.

I might pick up an FC30 Pro to have on hand for the Switch, but I'm not sure whether or not Nintendo would send out a "stability" update that removes them. Or if they could.

I freely admit to technical ignorance with regard to that subject.

The NES 30 Pro is half the price is the Pro controller. Fantastic to finally have a reasonably priced controller available for the system.

Link83

They seem to have fixed the d-pad diagonal issue in later revisions too, for those who had the issue. The last NES30 I grabbed for the NES mini has fixed diagonals.
Did they really fix the D-Pad PCB contacts? Have you dissassembled the controller and taken any pictures?

Kuga

I really enjoy my SNES30 - glad to hear it'll work with the Switch if/when I pick one up and it gets VC (Can't imagine too many Switch-native games would work well with a SNES controller).

Holy shit. I was on the fence about these for other reasons but now I have to buy a few. I can only dream they open source their work so other controllers can be used on the switch

Dartastic

How do the 8Bitdo Pro controllers feel? I'm thinking about getting one of them instead of an official Nintendo Pro controller, because fuck paying $80 bucks for one of those. Also, what kind of functionality are they missing?

D.Lo

Did they really fix the D-Pad PCB contacts? Have you dissassembled the controller and taken any pictures?
I didn't open it, but did a direct comparison between two NES30s. The newer one (6 months old now) I could not make up register from the left of right arrow sections of the dpad. The older one (1 year old) would do this.

But then a newer SFC30 still had the issue, so it may be a crap-shoot.

Holy dang I have like three NES/FC 30 Pros. Totally gonna try this out.

This will save me from considering getting a Switch pro controller for the d-pad.

I might be more interested in all those Neo Geo ports now !

Do the ones without analog sticks (the NES/SNES looking ones) feel better and more like Nintendo controllers, or are they the same as the analog stick models?

I've never had one of the analog models but I do have the 8-bit NES one and I think the controller works just fine. The d-pad and buttons are a little bit mushy when compared to the original pad's, so if that kind of thing bothers you, be aware.

I've never had one of the analog models but I do have the 8-bit NES one and I think the controller works just fine. The d-pad and buttons are a little bit mushy when compared to the original pad's, so if that kind of thing bothers you, be aware.

I had one of the non-Pro NES30s and I found the d-pad and buttons kind of lacking, but having owned multiple NES/FC30 Pros I found every aspect of the controller's build quality far superior.

If anyone is curious about getting one of these 8bitdo pads, unless that rectangular NES shape or those SNES shoulder buttons are super important to you, I'd recommend one of the NES/FC30 Pro controllers instead.

Thanks for posting this! I managed to get on the website and grab these links for the SFC30 (SNES) firmware and manual.

Manual: http://download.8bitdo.com/Manual/Controller/SNES30+SFC30/SNES30+SFC30_Manual_V4.pdf

Firmware: http://download.8bitdo.com/Firmware/Controller/SNES30+SFC30/SNES30+SFC30_Firmware_V4.00.zip

I made a quick video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFYTPv8U0fc) about it if you lot want to see it in action on Mario Kart 8 and Puyo Puyo Tetris. If you guys have any questions just let me know and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Thanks for posting this! I managed to get on the website and grab these links for the SFC30 (SNES) firmware and manual.

Manual: http://download.8bitdo.com/Manual/Controller/SNES30+SFC30/SNES30+SFC30_Manual_V4.pdf

Firmware: http://download.8bitdo.com/Firmware/Controller/SNES30+SFC30/SNES30+SFC30_Firmware_V4.00.zip

I made a quick video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFYTPv8U0fc) about it if you lot want to see it in action on Mario Kart 8 and Puyo Puyo Tetris. If you guys have any questions just let me know and I'll get back to you ASAP.

I know the Wii and Wii U compatibility wasn't stellar, are these reliable on the Switch? Easy pairing, works well? How does it register as far as a controller?

So presumably you can play NES, SNES, and NES Classic with your Switch Pro controller.

Even more importantly, you can play the Analogue NT Mini with the Switch (and Wii) Pro controllers!

Now if only somebody would hack a way to use Wii Remotes and Dual Shocks with the Switch. I only have the NES 4-button 8bitdo controller and it's fucking garbage. Are their SNES style pads better?

D.Lo

I know the Wii and Wii U compatibility wasn't stellar, are these reliable on the Switch? Easy pairing, works well? How does it register as far as a controller?
Works flawlessly. It has a home button emulation with down and select, but you can't turn the console on with it. They had to be re-paired each time you start. Registers as a pro.

Pairing initially took a few minutes. I'm not sure if I was doing something incorrectly but it the controller needed to be in pairing mode for at least a whole minute. Once you pair the controller with the Switch, it works perfectly (as easy as turning the controller on). I don't understand your last question so forgive me if my answer doesn't make sense. I believe it registers as a Switch Pro Controller.

Top Bottom