• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All firmware updatable 8Bitdo controllers are now Switch compatible!

ne1

Their site is getting hammered.

EDIT - The Retro Receivers have been updated as well:

So presumably you can play NES, SNES, and NES Classic with your Switch Pro controller.

Does anyone know if you need one receiver per controller or can one receiver serve several controllers?
N/m, it seems you need one per controller.

Fancolors

Welp, I have just ordered the NES30 pro for Steam games with xinput support on the go.

Good to know I won't​ need to buy a pro controller in the future.

Puyo Tetris and motherfucking street fighter are going to sing on this. The switch is killing my pocket book man but I'm enjoying it.

Can someone (FOR SCIENCE!) test to see if you can use pro controller + 8bitdo controller on the wireless mode instead of pro + single joy con

Hydrus

SOLD. I was building an arcade cabinet but instead of doing one giant cabinet I'm thinking of doing 2 bartop arcades instead...one for my 360, and Pandoras Box 4s so I can shmup and play fighters and the other cabinet as a retro station.

The 8bitdo nes30 controllers are kind of a linchpin for what I'm doin on the retrocade. Instead of just a bartop arcade I want to build something that looks like a bartop kiosk with the nes30 controllers on the front. This guy built something like what I want but I'm gonna stick those new 8bitdo controllers out the front of this thing kiosk style.

Czd9slE.jpg

Good God that looks amazing!

jts

...hate me...
God damn. The Switch is having a field day today.

They need to make a ZERO with an analogue stick instead.

Hasney

For the SFC 30, ignore the readme in the update files on 2 points:

1) The lights won't blink yelllow in update mode
2) Don't put it in pair mode after selecting Switch mode. Just go to grip order.

Recognises it as a Pro controller and works fantastic

EDIT: Unless they ever get my Neo Geo USB stick working, this is the best way to play Metal Slug <3

jts

...hate me...
For the SFC 30, ignore the readme in the update files on 2 points:

1) The lights won't blink yelllow in update mode
2) Don't put it in pair mode after selecting Switch mode. Just go to grip order.

Recognises it as a Pro controller and works fantastic
The dpad doesn't emulate analog input right? So can it only be used for games that accept dpad movement?

Hasney

The dpad doesn't emulate analog input right? So can it only be used for games that accept dpad movement?

Looks like it's emulating the stick. On the input test controller buttons, movement controls aren't showing up as a symbol but I can't get into the analogue stick calibration as I can't click the stick in.

EDIT: Yup, defo being used as the left stick. Just fired up Zelda and moved link around.

7roject28

I used to own one of the 8bitdo models that had dual analog sticks, but I wdnt impressed with it much. The buttons and dpad both felt pretty mediocre.

Do the ones without analog sticks (the NES/SNES looking ones) feel better and more like Nintendo controllers, or are they the same as the analog stick models?

Yeah same here. That was the first one I bought. The dpad and buttons are smaller on that one. It looks cool but the NES and SNES versions are way better. Feels pretty much authentic. Dpad and buttons feels great.

This is gonna be awesome for the Neo Geo games and Shovel Knight.

AaronMT86

Tried to update my NES30 and on selecting the *.DAT I get "Firmware update failure". Any ideas?

Edit: Whoops, apparently I have the Pro. Got the right firmware.

jts

...hate me...
Looks like it's emulating the stick. On the input test controller buttons, movement controls aren't showing up as a symbol but I can't get into the analogue stick calibration as I can't click the stick in.

EDIT: Yup, defo being used as the left stick. Just fired up Zelda and moved link around.
Thanks, that's cool!

NimbusD

Oh shit! I hope Nintendo doesn't patch out open compatibility. Maybe one day there'll be a device to convert xbone controllers to switch inputs. I'd be in heaven.

Oh shit! I hope Nintendo doesn't patch out open compatibility. Maybe one day there'll be a device to convert xbone controllers to switch inputs. I'd be in heaven.

I would love to see Brook make an adapter so I can use arcade sticks from other platforms.

They're pretty good about issuing firmware updates if platform holders break compatibility, too.

linkboy

Awesome.

I have their SNES controllers (with the retro receivers) and I use them with my SFC and RetroUSB AVS and they work great.

These things are going to be awesome with the virtual console.

Also, I doubt there's much Nintendo could do to block them, as Nintendo is using standard Bluetooth protocols for the Joycons/Pro Controller.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I think you mean NES one with two sticks (NES30 Pro); there isn't a SNES variant with two sticks yet. The Pro ones have L2/R2 buttons on them. The shoulders are largely the first, and then a smaller portion towards the center serves as the second. I don't recall if the sticks click in as the tertiary trigger though, I think they do. I'll have to check when I get home. Other than that, the only buttons it would be missing is the home and screenshot buttons, though they may have the ability to map one of the two "system" buttons (the controller's power button or its sync button) to the home button, but I'm not really sure how that would work if they did.
That's exactly what it does with the NES30 PRO.

POWER button = Switch HOME button, PAIR button = Switch screenshot button.

HF2014

Love the controller , but got hard time setting it up with my nes mini to work with other systems (snes, genesis, gba, was not able to get more than a and b working ). Finally found that connector driver 1.05b version that finish with a 0 and updating the controller with the 2.70 filmware from the website made it work. But just i lost like an hour trying to set it up. Its working now, its amazing! The version i got is the nes look like controller with 6 buttons.

key

Does anyone know if there are plans to release a pro with an SNES design? The NES one looks fine, but I'm much fonder of the SNES.

Why do people think this will be patched out? Third party controllers aren't exactly a new thing. As far as I know the Switch's controllers just use standard Bluetooth as well (they can be connected to a PC even without issue), hence why this is possible in the first place. Any sort of patch to "fix" this would just break the console's existing controllers more than likely.

This is very cool though, I got an NES30 Pro that I haven't used all that much but I did play AM2R with it and it worked quite well, so I'll definitely try updating it once the fervor's died down.

U_Know_Me

I can't get on the site but this can't be officially supported by nintendo. I wonder how long it will be until we see other controllers work with it.

From the article you linked:

Unfortunately, the two Joy-Cons will be treated as separate controllers. That’s great for two-player games, but it makes the Joy-Cons useless for playing anything complex, like a first-person shooter (why are you using a controller to play a PC shooter anyway?).

No doubt the PC homebrew community will eventually come up with a way to pair both Joy-Cons as a single controller, and even to use the controllers’ unique features — like motion controls — on platforms other than the Switch. Until then, however, use the Joy-Cons for simple 2D games or retro games with an emulator, and be thankful Nintendo is letting this happen at all.

Even the Pro Controller has limitations:
The Pro Controller should prove more viable for a wider range of games than the Joy-Cons, namely because it touts a more traditional layout, although it’s not compatible with everything. That’s due to the controller APIs in use; the Pro Controller apparently uses DirectInput, rather than the newer API XInput, making it incompatible with many newer games.

Hasney

Oh, I didn't know you meant a pair of them.

Pro Controller is fine with most modern games (they say they can't get Portal to work with it but I can't do that with an actual 360 controller). There's plenty of software out there to make Windows think it's an XINPUT controller.

dolabla

Whoa, perfect timing for Street Fighter. I'm buying the SFC30 for the dpad alone. I already own the NES30.

How does the ZL and ZR buttons work?

Whoa, perfect timing for Street Fighter. I'm buying the SFC30 for the dpad alone. I already own the NES30.

How does the ZL and ZR buttons work?

Probably want to get the NES30 Pro (Or FC30 Pro) if you want the extra shoulder buttons, they also come with clickable analogs too.

dolabla

They don't. You've got as many buttons as a SNES and that's it.

Oh well, guess it can be used strictly for virtual console and other games that don't use those buttons. Gonna be amazing to play SF2 with an actual snes style controller.

Top Bottom