• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Playstation devices mysteriously deactivated. Sony support cannot help. Help GAF

ViciousDS

Banned
So, a question for those knowledgable about all of this...

In my Sony Network account, I have two PS3s listed. I only ever had one, and I never logged into somebody else's PS3 with my PSN. What I think happened is that, I upgraded my PS3 hard drive from the stock 80GB drive to a 500GB drive...and totally forgot to do the deactivation process before switching out the drives. So now one console is taking up two different activations.

I guess it doesn't do any harm leaving it on there, except it's eating up a movie, music, and game activation that is obviously not supposed to, and it's annoying to see the "Download to all of your PS3s" button when I'm doing a purchase from the PS Store on the web. Of course, I cannot deactivate it from the console, since the console is now apparently a different console with the bigger drive in it (and truth be told, I don't even know what I did with the 80GB stock drive). I really thought the activates were tied to a unique hardware ID, but apparently that is either not the case, or the hardware ID changes upon changing the drive.

If I "Deactivate All" on the web, and set my PS3, Vita, PSP, and PS4 up from scratch....can I just activate all of them then and there? Or is there a period of time in which the console needs to remain unactivated? I'm confused if the "6 months" that is being thrown around means that I wouldn't be able to re-activate my hardware for 6 months (and thus, losing my licenses), or if it's just a timer for the deactivate all function on the web.

its a deactivation timer......you can only deactivate all devices every 6 months(with the use of the online tool, you can deactivate and reactivate as many consoles as you want if you do them manually using the console itself)..

STEaMkb

That is not possible. PSN was compromised a singe time, in 2011. Sony forced every user to update their passwords soon after. The security firm that Sony hired to investigate the breach found no evidence that the intruder(s) accessed customer credit card information. And even if they had, the data was encrypted.

Does not mean nothing when sony allowed you to change your password...wait for it...to your same password. I found out my son did this and forced him to change to something different.

That's not possible. It was stipulated that new passwords must be different than old passwords. Minimum password length was also increased to 8 characters.

03.jpg

So, a question for those knowledgable about all of this...

In my Sony Network account, I have two PS3s listed. I only ever had one, and I never logged into somebody else's PS3 with my PSN. What I think happened is that, I upgraded my PS3 hard drive from the stock 80GB drive to a 500GB drive...and totally forgot to do the deactivation process before switching out the drives. So now one console is taking up two different activations.

I guess it doesn't do any harm leaving it on there, except it's eating up a movie, music, and game activation that is obviously not supposed to, and it's annoying to see the "Download to all of your PS3s" button when I'm doing a purchase from the PS Store on the web. Of course, I cannot deactivate it from the console, since the console is now apparently a different console with the bigger drive in it (and truth be told, I don't even know what I did with the 80GB stock drive). I really thought the activates were tied to a unique hardware ID, but apparently that is either not the case, or the hardware ID changes upon changing the drive.

If I "Deactivate All" on the web, and set my PS3, Vita, PSP, and PS4 up from scratch....can I just activate all of them then and there? Or is there a period of time in which the console needs to remain unactivated? I'm confused if the "6 months" that is being thrown around means that I wouldn't be able to re-activate my hardware for 6 months (and thus, losing my licenses), or if it's just a timer for the deactivate all function on the web.

Changing the hard drive should not cause 1 PS3 to take up 2 activations.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Lol these play station customer support horror stories just keep getting worse and worse.

Never thought it would get worse than what Microsoft did to me a few years back. I sent in my 360 so they could fix the disc drive, which was stuck, they sent it back to me 2 weeks later, with the back part where you plug in the power supply damaged, and claimed that I had broken my warranty on the console.

By the way they didn't fix the disc drive either.

So they literally broke my console and then claimed that I did it and didn't fix the issue I actually sent it in for.

JP

Sony's back end must be all kinds of ducked up if they can't even deactivate consoles when a customer demands it.

Pathetic doesn't even begin to cover it.
To be fair, it's not that they can't do it.

It's that it's a really risky thing to be doing, in much the same way that the OP says people have "hacked" his account by logging in with his details, the same people could phone up with the same details and deactivate the account those details belong to. Customer services shouldn't hang up without a very good reason but the last thing that I want Sony to be doing with my account is letting people phone up and deactivate things for complete strangers because I've not been careful enough with my details.

It's really unfortunate, but so often when things like this happy it's because people haven't been careful enough with their details. Irrelevant of which ever company we are dealing, there is no such thing as safe and even with that company doing far more than is required of them when it comes to security, the onus is still on the people who's account it is to do everything they can to secure their information.

Personally, I use randomly generated passwords on everything, they contain as many digits as each system will allow to use, they all include symbols when allowed and my password manager reminds me to change the password every month, which takes me a couple of minutes. I don't ever store credit card or bank details on any sort of online shop and if any online shop requires me to leave card details on there, I don't have an account with them.

manny3118

Neo Member
Same situation as OP. One day out of the blue one of the sub-accounts on my PS4 couldn't play any PS+ games, and after some Google research, found that the only reason that would be the case is if the PS4 wasn't listed as the primary console on the primary account. Sure enough, took a look under system settings and the console was deactivated. When I tried to reactivate online, I couldn't-- try again in 6 months message. I've never bought digital, so no incentive for me to share my account details or anything like that. Long story short, none of secondary profiles can play 7 months worth of PS+ games.

Called CS on 3 separate occasions, live-chatted a few more, but unhelpful to say the least. Filled out a form for deactivation appeal, and denied the following day. Incredibly frustrating. Owned a 360, happily bought a PS4 at launch, but this whole situation has me seriously considering going back to Microsoft. Never thought I would say that.

kingwingin

How does somebody hack someone's psn password? Do they steal it from sony without them knowing? Or do they get it from your system?

Zeshile

You had to fill out a form?

Never was told about any form but I was passed from floor supervisor to floor supervisor lots of times. I don't think any of my calls were actually escalated to someone with any authority.

If it is was someone else who got my information I wonder if it's just someone deactivating devices for the lolz. They never downloaded anything and I dont have any linked credit cards.

Yeah, the first person I spoke to sent me a form to fill out that would be sent to the "deactivation team." I think it's basically for people who don't understand how to do it online or can't because the same 6 month rule applies. If anyone is interested, here is the link.

https://scea.secure.force.com/ConsoleDeactivation/

Also, the third time we called we asked to be transferred to supervisor and we're pretty sure that it was the same guy using a different name.

Spyware

How does somebody hack someone's psn password? Do they steal it from sony without them knowing? Or do they get it from your system?
Sometimes it's hacking like the big famous PSN hack. Sometimes it's hacking into a tiny little unsecure site, like in many MMO account hijack cases. Some have the same account info on RandomMMOsiteX.com as they do in the actual game. When the hijackers hack that little site and get all the info, they will try all those accounts in the game. ArenaNet saw this after a big site hack some years back, blacklisted all previously used passwords and forced eveyone to change because it's a big issue.

There's also phishing where you for example can get a more or less legitimate looking email that has a link to a fake version of the official site. When you type in your details, they are stolen. The same thing happens on any site if you happen to have downloaded a keylogger. That's just some examples.

There are many different ways to get other people's info. "Real hacks" are not that common and that's why so many people in threads like there are so sceptical. It's just statistically more likely that there is something else behind it all. (Usually game sharing in PSN cases, which means that it's the users fault completely)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If you're going to use the 'people use same username/password' as an argument in that way, then you also must acknowledge/conceed that -any- other site being breached (neogaf!) could just as easily cause that person's Sony account to be breached since the person is using their login info in multiple places. In fact, that's often what happens when a breach at some nickle and dime site happens -- the breachers test those username/pw combinations on 'major' sites to see if they can get access.

And that's not even getting into key loggers, etc.

I still have the same CC data on PSN I've always had, before, during, after the major hack. No issues, no fear, because thankfully that breach was relatively minor (they took PSN down while confirming this and rebuilding new security for obvoius reasons) even though it got tons of press.

Context is important: he was dismissing the idea that Sony-related breaches could at all be responsible for the OP's woes. I was simply making the point that it is theoretically possible and even categorically state at the very end of my post that I don't side with notion that it's likely what has happened here.

In the future, before entering a conversation that you previously were not involved in, I'd advise first reading in full not only the post you've chosen as an entry point but also the preceding breadcrumbs so you're familiar with the defining context as in this case you've come across more knee-jerkingly defensive than rational.

plainr_

Changing the hard drive should not cause 1 PS3 to take up 2 activations.

Are we certain about this? I remember formatting the same hard drive without deactivating first and I know for sure I couldn't reactivate on the same PS3. Luckily I was able to deactivate everything via the SEN website.

geordiemp

SUCCESS.

Contacted UK support again this time I selected Ps4 console support rather than PsN support and got a really nice girl called Katalyn who was clearly a UK person and not a redirect and who knew what she was doing.

She went through my details and account, my purchase and console history and what had happened a few days ago. The fact I changed my email address twice and password every day she was almost humorous at my new found security, considering I had not changed my old email and password since 2007. Lessons learnt.

As a 1 time she agreed to deactivate all consoles again, and within a few seconds it was done. I quickly activated one of my Ps4 back to primary and all is good again, back to normal. My 12 yr son can play the games I bought on my account again...what a relief...

I can only think of my persistence together with purchase history and console history that it was clear that I was a victim and they would help me out this time only.

I will be sure to log onto PSN in 6 months when the deactivate all console option comes up and use it and within seconds manually activate at the Ps4 to make sure its my Ps4 thats the primary.

Thanks for all the kind support from posters in this thread.

rafaelr

glad to hear you finally got it sorted op!
i´m mostly digital for this gen as well, and worried something like this might happen someday.

Melchiah

SUCCESS.

Contacted UK support again this time I selected Ps4 console support rather than PsN support and got a really nice girl called Katalyn who was clearly a UK person and not a redirect and who knew what she was doing.

She went through my details and account, my purchase and console history and what had happened a few days ago. The fact I changed my email address twice and password every day she was almost humorous at my new found security, considering I had not changed my old email and password since 2007. Lessons learnt.

As a 1 time she agreed to deactivate all consoles again, and within a few seconds it was done. I quickly activated one of my Ps4 back to primary and all is good again, back to normal. My 12 yr son can play the games I bought on my account again...what a relief...

I can only think of my persistence together with purchase history and console history that it was clear that I was a victim and they would help me out this time only.

I will be sure to log onto PSN in 6 months when the deactivate all console option comes up and use it and within seconds manually activate at the Ps4 to make sure its my Ps4 thats the primary.

Good to hear the problem got solved.

geordiemp

glad to hear you finally got it sorted op!
i´m mostly digital for this gen as well, and worried something like this might happen someday.

Great news. Shows that it's worth it to phone again

Here is hoping it never happens again

Thanks - Sony really need to remove the deactivate all button from PSN and have a double or treble authorization process for deactivating - they should be texting your home phone with 4 digital codes and a call back to your house.

Its such a dangerous feature and can totally wreck your access to your games.

Guess I can stop tweeting shu and hassling other sony execs by email...lol

SUCCESS.

Glad you got it sorted. And really, screw all the finger-pointers. This thread should have been about helping another gamer and Gaffer out; not trying to "prove" the person asking for help was somehow shady or entitled.

SUCCESS.

Glad it worked out OP. I hope I never have to deal with their customer service. Too many bad stories.

I'm glad it worked out for you. It's always nice if you get someone competent on the phone when you have to call Customers Support.

Hail Katalyn

Glad it worked out OP. I hope I never have to deal with their customer service. Too many bad stories.

Like anywhere else, it really depends who you get. That's why so many of us were prompting OP to call back. Unfortunately some people aren't cut out for the CS position, and don't want to or don't know how to help you, and they won't escalate the matter (for whatever reason) and ask for help themselves.

Also I'd like to think there are a lot of great CS experiences that never get posted. Maybe because it's expected and taken for granted.

I mean, I don't report back to each supervisor or run to a message board for every service or transaction that goes as planned. But I sure might contact that company or a MB if something goes wrong and I need help.

And yes, it shouldn't be this way but if you need CS, cross your fingers and hope you get someone helpful. And callback until you do.

geordiemp

I'm glad it worked out for you. It's always nice if you get someone competent on the phone when you have to call Customers Support.

Hail Katalyn

Yeah she was really nice and friendly, it changed my tone completely I was laughing at my daily email and password changes.....and sharing with her my 12 yr old moans at not getting access...

She said sometimes the PSN contact number is relayed to Italy or other support centers in busy times....and maybe why I struggled with previous calls who seemed more confused than me.

Maybe it was wise to phone mid day in working week and use the Ps4 contact number as opposed to weekend operators.... There are really good, nice and helpful people at Sony support if you manage to get them.

Congrats and all, but that's really not a good idea. If your primary console dies, you won't be able to deactivate it, and you deactivating everything every six months looks REALLY suspicious.

Just use a strong, unique password. Change it every few months if you're still feeling paranoid.

Oh, and never tell anyone else your password. Including spouse and kids.

Occam

Glad it worked out for you.

Sony really need to remove the deactivate all button from PSN

No, they don't. Consoles, especially portable systems, can get stolen/lost.

By the way, while it makes little sense why PSN support refused to help in your case, it's simple to understand the reasoning why they don't just allow random deactivations: If they did, you could basically distribute your games for free. Just give someone your login info, set their PS4 to primary and allow them to download all your games, then tell them to stay offline and have their console deactivated.

LilJoka

Phoning Sony UK and trying to deactivate a console is a pain in the arse, they asked my name, d.o.b, purchases etc......

OP did you ever give anyone your account details or even a partial one?

You could easily obtain that from my inbox, so not really much trouble for a thief.

SomTervo

SUCCESS.

Really nice to hear. Enjoy the console!

geordiemp

Op sit down with your kids and ask them if they have logged in to your account on a friends system.

No he has not, I do all the account management. My son also has a Psn+ account of his own which he uses at his grandmas on the Ps4 there, and he just plays destiny. What has happened is a hacker has got onto teh PSN web site and used the deactivate all button (nuke everythng)

I am trying not to confuse people, we have 2 Ps4, me and my son, we both have psn+ and game together. When he is away at his Grandma he has another Ps4 and just plays Destiny, and that is his primary console for that psn.

My account has only ever been on the 2 Ps4 that we own at our house up until nuke day a few days ago when I got hacked. Also found a failed Ps4 pre-purchase that day on my old credit card that has expired...No games were downloaded we found as I changed my email and password pretty quick, and removed my CC.

He does not know my PSN details. He does not use a computer, he only uses his IPAD for you tube and destiny app for changing guns.

He does not know his account details, never mind mine...I enter them for him.

Luckily Katalyn reviewed all my activity on PSN, which was consistent with never sharing and having lots of our own consoles only since 2007, and I never changed my password or email. Its pretty clear what has happened.

Beefy

It's because the good stories don't really get posted. If everything is sorted it is just the customer service doing their job correctly. Glad the OP got it sorted in the end by a person who knew what to do.

ps3ud0

Thank **** for that, you may have thought us recommending to just keep trying was useless advice but it really is helpful when you know it could be 'easily' fixed if only you get a decent CSR

That shouldnt need to happen but thats most CS for you...

ps3ud0 8)

Yagharek

This should serve as a great learning example.

It'd be nice for others, geordiemp, if you could give a summary on the OP of what worked and what info you need to have in order to avoid the needless hassles you had to suffer through. Could be a handy resource for others who run into a similar situation.

geordiemp

This should serve as a great learning example.

It'd be nice for others, geordiemp, if you could give a summary on the OP of what worked and what info you need to have in order to avoid the needless hassles you had to suffer through. Could be a handy resource for others who run into a similar situation.

I think persistence, but also showing you changed your email and password for Psn and take it seriously. If your profile and purchase history clearly shows you are not trying something fishy, it should work out. A library of 88 games only being on our 2 consoles since Ps4 launch....many digital...

It was also clear I had not changed my password and email since 2007, if it looks like a hack, smells like a hack...its a hack.

Its should be pretty clear from history and profile who the genuine users are. She could see what we have done, actions taken and whats happened and she made a good judgement call.

I bombed everyone with this story, from Shu to a number of sony execs. Its impossible to know if there was any influence or its just hail to Katalyn...!

Thank **** for that, you may have thought us recommending to just keep trying was useless advice but it really is helpful when you know it could be 'easily' fixed if only you get a decent CSR

That shouldnt need to happen but thats most CS for you...

ps3ud0 8)

I think since the deactivate all happened on Friday they could maybe see that the 3rd mysterious Ps4 was now totally locked out of going online, play any games, or downloaded anything.

A few days helped show the facts. They also noted my home phone for call back ...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
SUCCESS.

On the one hand. Great result. On the other hand. What unbelievable crappy Sony customer support that it took this monumental effort to get it sorted.

Well done for your perseverance.

Fisty

SUCCESS.

Great to hear it worked out. Congrats, and good luck in the future!

geordiemp

On the one hand. Great result. On the other hand. What unbelievable crappy Sony customer support that it took this monumental effort to get it sorted.

Well done for your perseverance.

She apologised for the first rep I got and was going to have a word with his supervisor.

When a customer has 4 consoles registered, 88 games on 2 ps4 in library and only ever used my PSN log in on those 2 ps4's.....it should be clear what the user profile is.

I did say the second rep was polite it was just hard work explaining (an Italian guy). She did say at weekends sometimes calls get diverted to less experienced or temps..

That first rep I got was a complete ass and talked more than listened and just kep repeating the same stuff and then terminated. He was terrible and needs a slap !

Um, don't do that, don't use the deactivate all. Just do it via the consoles. If something happens to your primary Ps4, you are SOL.

Shahed

Thanks - Sony really need to remove the deactivate all button from PSN and have a double or treble authorization process for deactivating - they should be texting your home phone with 4 digital codes and a call back to your house.

Its such a dangerous feature and can totally wreck your access to your games.

Guess I can stop tweeting shu and hassling other sony execs by email...lol

While I'm happy that you got yiu activations back, I disagree with making it harder to deactivate accounts. Well at least partly. I want that big button and the freedom to use it without dealing with customer service.

However the second part of what you said, about double authorisations? That I agree with. But there's no need to tie that in with the deactivate button. Simply have that when you log into your PSN on a new device for the first time (PlayStation, PC or Mobile). That way even if they have all you account details they still can't log in and won't be able to access the deactivate button to screw you over.

It's called 2 factor authorisation and I use it for my Gmail.

geordiemp

Um, don't do that, don't use the deactivate all. Just do it via the consoles. If something happens to your primary Ps4, you are SOL.

Um, did not think about the scenario of my primary Ps4 breaking....I would need that deactivate button...but it should have pin security to your home phone.

Katalyn is now famous and doesn't even know it.

Moral of this tale, when phoning PSN CS always ask for Katalyn.

Yeah she was nice and knew her stuff. She even cleared up the first call confusion as I had bought a film and some drive club free downloads on my second non primary Ps4...and the first rep had got confused with this and questioned my story. It was very clear to her.

Wynnebeck

Banned
SUCCESS.

Glad to hear. Now maybe the increasingly ridiculous PSN stories will dry up lol.

Hedrush

Yeah she was nice and knew her stuff. She even cleared up the first call confusion as I had bought a film and some drive club free downloads on my second non primary Ps4...and the first rep had got confused with this and questioned my story. It was very clear to her.

I'm glad you got it sorted mate, it only took what, 4 days lol.

Might be a good idea to change your password regularly now. The worrying thing is though, how did they get your password in the first place. If i where you I'd be changing my passwords on everything you use online, from your email to right here on Neogaf. Best be safe than sorry.

geordiemp

I'm glad you got it sorted mate, it only took what, 4 days lol.

Might be a good idea to change your password regularly now. The worrying thing is though, how did they get your password in the first place. If i where you I'd be changing my passwords on everything you use online, from your email to right here on Neogaf. Best be safe than sorry.

I am thanks. I was lazy, old password and email since 2007 used on everything, and I mean everything even google. Its been a busy few days ! I should be surprised I have been hack free for so many years !

Running malware removers and CC cleaner like a crazy man on my laptop....just to make sure.

JP

I am thanks. I was lazy, old password and email since 2007 used on everything, and I mean everything even google. Its been a busy few days ! I should be surprised I have been hack free for so many years !

Running malware removers and CC cleaner like a crazy man on my laptop....just to make sure.
Seriously, I really think it's worth investing in something like 1Password, I've been using it as long as I can remember and it' worked perfectly for me. I don't even know my own passwords, I randomly generate them and it gives me stuff like this for passwords P(IYiR"rzl*3QN|aeSrxM%7vBwd,D1pIV4^ which can still be cracked, like any password, but according to howsecureismypassword.net, it would take a desktop PC around "18 sexdecillion years" to brute force it's way through that if it was a permanent password, which it isn't.

It tells me if I have any repeated passwords and it even notifies me when sites have been compromised if I have log in details to that site in my database. Of course, there are other options out there that probably do exactly the same thing which I'm sure others would recommend but I can only talk about this one as it's the only one that I've used.

kingwingin

Seriously, I really think it's worth investing in something like 1Password, I've been using it as long as I can remember and it' worked perfectly for me. I don't even know my own passwords, I randomly generate them and it gives me stuff like this for passwords P(IYiR"rzl*3QN|aeSrxM%7vBwd,D1pIV4^ which can still be cracked, like any password, but according to howsecureismypassword.net, it would take a desktop PC around "18 sexdecillion years" to brute force it's way through that if it was a permanent password, which it isn't.

It tells me if I have any repeated passwords and it even notifies me when sites have been compromised if I have log in details to that site in my database. Of course, there are other options out there that probably do exactly the same thing which I'm sure others would recommend but I can only talk about this one as it's the only one that I've used.
thanks for this, ill look into that.

Glad you got it sorted OP! This opens my eyes to getting more diligent on my account security

Top Bottom