• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS Now games available in open beta

No wonder why Sony didn't want EA's subscription service on the PS4. The pricing blows Now out of the water.

Also, I don't think we'll see 'reasonable' prices for Now. Single player games can be pretty short these days, and there's no way developers would allow you to pay $2-$5 when you could beat the game and be done with it. And I doubt Now works well with multiplayer titles.

Again, EA's service is NOT comparable with PS Now, it's copying PS Plus. Ps Now is a cross-platform game streaming service. EA's service offers locally stored content and discounts, just like PS Plus.

jimi_dini

I just logged on and see 4.99 for alone in the dark for 90 days.

If I wanted to PLAY alone in the dark, 90 days would be sufficient and 4.99 is a good price. And it is convenient. Why would I not do this?

It's Alone In The Dark.

I bought the Limited Edition with artbook, soundtrack and other stuff for around 5 EUR 1 or 2 years ago. So it's also not a good price.

I guess it's "just" $5, because they expect people to stop playing after a few minutes. It's a terrible game. And at least in my case I would have been able to sell it afterwards. The artbook + soundtrack are nice though, so I kept them.

Ofcourse this shit is real time. Otherwise 90 days would actually be a good deal, thats like 2160 hours. Which I probably didn't accumulate in any game ever.

90 days, makes sense.

But 4 hours? Pay-Per-View 10 years ago gave me a limited time (1 day or so) to watch the movie. It's silly to make the "4 hour" option real-time. This means that you HAVE to play the game for 4 hours non stop, otherwise you will get way less out of it. That combined with the high price is just silly. People have to eat, go shopping, etc. Sony is effectively telling them "fuck you, you have to play the game for 4 hours now, don't do anything else". It seems they never thought about grown adults, who have stuff to do (children, family, job, etc.). It's artificially limiting the service. Say I want to play a game right now, but I only got 1 hour until I need to do something else. With a physical disc, that's not a problem. With PlayStation Now, I would have to pay for 4 hours.

It wouldn't have been a big problem to make that limited to a certain timeframe (let's say 1 day) and then count playtime instead.

Nipo

Again, EA's service is NOT comparable with PS Now, it's copying PS Plus. Ps Now is a cross-platform game streaming service. EA's service offers locally stored content and discounts, just like PS Plus.

They are both rental services competing for my video game discretionary income.

Whether they have the same content or business model is irrelevant from my and many other consumer's purchasing decision. We'll vote with our dollars solely on which one offers a better perceived value.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They are both rental services competing for my video game discretionary income.

Whether they have the same content or business model is irrelevant from my and many other consumer's purchasing decision.

Sure, but it depends on the customer.

For customers who have access to all these platforms - XB1, PSNow, etc. - already, then PSNow is just another avenue to play already accessible content. And so they become comparable.

For customers who don't have access to all these platforms - or indeed, any of them - they become incomparable. PSNow will, theoretically, allow a whole range of people access content that EA's service (or Sony's others) cannot reach. Until, I guess, they start adding streaming games on-demand too.

There's many people on both sides of those fences - arguably, though, many more on the latter side of the fence.

It's Alone In The Dark.

I bought the Limited Edition with artbook, soundtrack and other stuff for around 5 EUR 1 or 2 years ago. So it's also not a good price.

I guess it's "just" $5, because they expect people to stop playing after a few minutes. It's a terrible game. And at least in my case I would have been able to sell it afterwards. The artbook + soundtrack are nice though, so I kept them.
It's $10 on Steam and I'm not likely to play through it more than once, so the price was right for me. That said, yeah the game is... rough, to say the least.

The prices aren't bad at all. For everyone making the, "it's xx.xx at amazon!" Buy it off amazon and put it in your ps4.

I think it's grimey that over time, Sony has removed backwards compatible. They have then monetized this heavily through remasters and now this.

If I have a problem with anything it's that. The ps now prices are perfect. Even the 4 hour price. Everyone in business knows, you discount bulk purchases. If 4 hours was $2, you'd keep buying the 4 hours until you beat it. They're up selling all of us.

The prices aren't bad at all. For everyone making the, "it's xx.xx at amazon!" Buy it off amazon and put it in your ps4.

I think it's grimey that over time, Sony has removed backwards compatible. They have then monetized this heavily through remasters and now this.

If I have a problem with anything it's that. The ps now prices are perfect. Even the 4 hour price. Everyone in business knows, you discount bulk purchases. If 4 hours was $2, you'd keep buying the 4 hours until you beat it. They're up selling all of us.

yeah people are missing this aspect of the business. they want to encourage people to spend more and buy the 7 day rental/1 month, the 4 hour option is there just to be scoffed at

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
It's Alone In The Dark.

90 days, makes sense.

But 4 hours? Pay-Per-View 10 years ago gave me a limited time (1 day or so) to watch the movie. It's silly to make the "4 hour" option real-time. This means that you HAVE to play the game for 4 hours non stop, otherwise you will get way less out of it. That combined with the high price is just silly. People have to eat, go shopping, etc. Sony is effectively telling them "fuck you, you have to play the game for 4 hours now, don't do anything else". It seems they never thought about grown adults, who have stuff to do (children, family, job, etc.). It's artificially limiting the service. Say I want to play a game right now, but I only got 1 hour until I need to do something else. With a physical disc, that's not a problem. With PlayStation Now, I would have to pay for 4 hours.

It wouldn't have been a big problem to make that limited to a certain timeframe (let's say 1 day) and then count playtime instead.

If anything people are fucking themselves if they rent something for four hours that runs on real time despite having other responsibilities at that same moment. Rent it later? The fuck. Lol

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
$5 for 90 days (gameplay time) standard would be awesome.

90 days of actually played time? No way are you getting that. And what game has even needed it? And for 4.99? Say what?

Seriously a lot of people need to actually look at the game prices. There are like 2 or 3 that I think are ridiculously priced for the 90-day option (two Square games and Saints Row). The rest are 14.99 and below. On some of these titles you could go to Amazon or Gamestop and maybe get them cheaper, if they actually have it in stock. That assumes you are going to go the 90 day route. There is no reason to rent MGS IV for 90 days. The same can be said about other titles.

BadWolf

90 days of actually played time? No way are you getting that. And what game has even needed it? And for 4.99? Say what?

Seriously a lot of people need to actually look at the game prices. There are like 2 or 3 that I think are ridiculously priced for the 90-day option (two Square games and Saints Row). The rest are 14.99 and below. On some of these titles you could go to Amazon or Gamestop and maybe get them cheaper, if they actually have it in stock. That assumes you are going to go the 90 day route. There is no reason to rent MGS IV for 90 days. The same can be said about other titles.

Yeah, the 7 day option will suffice for most games outside the usual long to finish games like RPGs etc. Its the one I will be using the most for sure.

funkypie

Banned
I hope there are some awesome juicy ps1 and ps2 games I never finished I can play. I own Valkyrie profile 2 but no PS2. I cba running it on my PC either.

I had a few dollars sitting my wallet and a few hours of nothing yesterday so I decided to rent Enslaved. Enslaved isn't the smoothest game out there to begin with so it may not have been the best choice to pick, but it works. I noticed some lag, but it wasn't game breaking. Just took a little while for my brain to adjust and compensate. Visually there some compression, but not much. I wouldn't say it was perfect by any stretch but it absolutely works and there is a very satisfying feeling to be able to rent a game and stream it almost immediately after without moving, at all. Considering where I live in Canada, I wouldn't be surprised if I was fairly far away from any of the Now servers too. Internet wise, things are acceptable here and more than enough for Now.

I'll probably rent something I actually have been meaning to play for awhile now, but just never got around to it. Like Darksiders, I think. Maybe Ninja Gaiden 2.

Solid for now, but we'll see how Darksiders turns out.

Catherine is such an excellent game. Has it ever been on Plus?
I want my wife to play it.

Also, do you earn trophies with games that you rent?

Addnan

Is there anything free I can test with? In the UK on my US account shows I pass the test, but just wanted to try a quick demo to see how it runs..

Is there anything free I can test with? In the UK on my US account shows I pass the test, but just wanted to try a quick demo to see how it runs..
I didn't think it was working on US accounts based in the UK? It says I fail the test which shouldn't really be the case (I'm on fibre broadband, ~30mb down)

Blanquito

I didn't think it was working on US accounts based in the UK? It says I fail the test which shouldn't really be the case (I'm on fibre broadband, ~30mb down)

You may have fiber to your local hub, but you still have to transfer data across the ocean and that greatly increases the latency and [edit] affects [/edit] bandwidth, which is what the PSNow test looks at.

Top Bottom