• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Russian/Brazillian (or similar) games on Steam now have regional activation locks

I would be okay with this if Steam had a much better regional pricing policy. Many Eastern European countries are really not much better off financially than Brazil or Russia and yet they have to pay 20% more than Steam's US consumers do. For countries like Latvia, Serbia, Romania and others, cross-region gifting was their chance at fair pricing.

I can buy most steam games as retail package for 25-35 euro in Poland on day 1.

wilflare

Nuuvem are gonna be rich as a result of this. They have a huge sale on now!

3 Batman games for $5.50 (Akham City, Akham Origns and Akham Origins Blackgate)
MGS: GZ - $9.20
Shadow Warrior - $2.52
Crysis Trilogy - $9.20
Dragon Age 2 - $3.50
Euro Truck Simulator - $1.80

Just to name afew.

those are some really good prices.
do we need a VPN/Hola Unblocker to buy from them?
will they block international credit cards or non-Brazil PayPal?

Xisiqomelir

If we could teleport Big Macs around via the internet the way we do digital bits I'm sure McDonalds would scream blue murder too.

However, this doesn't address the point (that point being made on page 1) of corporations attempting to derive every possible benefit of globalization re: materials and labour costs, and then wanting to also eat the cake of denying customers the benefit of arbitraging the costs of finished goods.

Falk

that puzzling face
Page 2*

And no, I hear you completely. In my line of work, we're very conscious of the cost of living in e.g. Czech and Bulgaria and why orchestral recording services there are much lower than comparable prices here in the US or London. That's the reality of a globalized economy, or at the very least, one where borders aren't as tall of a barrier as 50 years ago. Cheap(er than the competition) labor is always a factor nowadays.

It doesn't change the fact that on the other end, if someone sets aside 10% of his income for entertainment, that value is going to be wildly different depending on what part of the world he's from, doing the same job and living with the same creature comforts.

I'm not going to defend recent events as the most polished, justifiable and simply fair way to go about things (heck I have my own set of napkin solutions), but expecting things to be priced equally across the globe isn't realistic in the least, digital or otherwise.

Top Bottom