• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Russian/Brazillian (or similar) games on Steam now have regional activation locks

Giran

I would be okay with this if Steam had a much better regional pricing policy. Many Eastern European countries are really not much better off financially than Brazil or Russia and yet they have to pay 20% more than Steam's US consumers do. For countries like Latvia, Serbia, Romania and others, cross-region gifting was their chance at fair pricing.

Sentenza

It isn't? Please tell me more how US UK minimum wage people have it better then here.
I live in Italy. The minimum wages here aren't higher than in US or UK. In fact they are lower.
And yet when it comes to tech and software the prices are sensibly higher.

I would be okay with this if Steam had a much better regional pricing policy. Many Eastern European countries are really not much better off financially than Brazil or Russia and yet they have to pay 20% more than Steam's US consumers do. For countries like Latvia, Serbia, Romania and others, cross-region gifting was their chance at fair pricing.

I think this can still happen. The games bought in their countries have a regionlock, not the ones outside of it.

Giran

I think this can still happen. The games bought in their countries have a regionlock, not the ones outside of it.

Can you elaborate a bit? It's very possible that I'm wrong but from what I understand the region lock means that a game bought in the RU or BR region can no longer be activated on accounts that aren't tied to the same region, regardless of whether it's gifted or traded. So a Romanian user wouldn't be able to get a game at its Russian price.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The countries he listed don't fall under Valve's definition of Eastern Europe, which is: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Republic of Moldova, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan. As far as Steam is concerned, Latvia, Serbia, etc. are rest-of-world territories and as such users therein will also be prevented from activating a gift purchased from the Russian store.

The countries he listed don't fall under Valve's definition of Eastern Europe, which is: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Republic of Moldova, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan. As far as Steam is concerned, Latvia, Serbia, etc. are rest-of-world territories and as such users therein will also be prevented from activating a gift purchased from the Russian store.

Can you elaborate a bit? It's very possible that I'm wrong but from what I understand the region lock means that a game bought in the RU or BR region can no longer be activated on accounts that aren't tied to the same region, regardless of whether it's gifted or traded. So a Romanian user wouldn't be able to get a game at its Russian price.

Oh no, you wouldn't be able to get the Russian price, but if your trouble is that you would have to pay more than the US, you would still be able to get a copy from the US.

el87

Latvia, Serbia, Romania and others are on the European region. They get the same euro prices as everybody else in Europe.

I'm from Latvia. In-store prices for electronics & software have always been higher here actually. Adopting the Euro didn't change shit about that as well :(

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I live in Italy. The minimum wages here aren't higher than in US or UK. In fact they are lower.
And yet when it comes to tech and software the prices are sensibly higher.

Is this true? I visited Italy early this year and by my standards almost everything was more expensive than I was used too.

Not as expensive as Switzerland, but yai.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Well, to be fair it's the lowest salary, not average. Average is around €1000. I agree about Steam prices though. I wrote a post about it yesterday before this was known. Valve doesn't care about poorer countries. Even Microsoft adjusts prices accordingly.

1000€? hahaha ... yeah, right ... I personally don't know ANYONE who makes anything even remotely close to 1000€ per month .... trust me - 1000€ is NOT an average!!

I posted a while ago about Russian PSN, so I figured out where my problem was getting the prices in rubles.

I can confirm the prices on Russian PSN are still in rubles.

If there is a way, I think at this point it makes sense opening a Russian PSN account for your purchases. You'll need to get a Russian payment card though.

GTA5
€37.77
$47.21

DA: Inquisition
€35.41
$44.26

Far Cry 4
€30,69
$38.36

The Evil Within
€17.70
$22.12
Funny how just a while ago it was cheaper for us Russians to buy in US store.

Sentenza

Is this true? I visited Italy early this year and by my standards almost everything was more expensive than I was used too.
Well, I guess it depends from what are your standards and what places you visited, specifically?
And yes, a lot of stuff is expensive in Italy, which doesn't mean everyone on Italy can afford it consistently, in fact.
According to few charts from the UE our country rates quite low even compared to other Europeans countries when it comes to wealth distribution and so on.

Chariot

Point:

1DwqAOX.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_average_wage

I posted a while ago about Russian PSN, so I figured out where my problem was getting the prices in rubles.

I can confirm the prices on Russian PSN are still in rubles.

If there is a way, I think at this point it makes sense opening a Russian PSN account for your purchases. You'll need to get a Russian payment card though.

qcLKJ21.jpg

GTA5
€37.77
$47.21

DA: Inquisition
€35.41
$44.26

Far Cry 4
€30,69
$38.36

The Evil Within
€17.70
$22.12

Lmao, its like a better than half price sale compared to UK prices.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Those companies are lowering the prices in poor counties to levels unsustainable worlwide, not hiking them up in richer countries.
Bassicaly you're sittin comfortably in your own rich country and whining some poor sod somewhere is able to buy it cheaper than you are.
Oh...well... fortunatelly for me and other people who weren't lucky to be born in one of the wealthiest nations on Earth the laws allow regional pricing. So while you might feel it's pure torture that somebody somewhere might be paying less than you for a game I guess you will just have to learn to live with it. Use those thousands of dollars you earn to wipe your tears

Oh for fucks sake.

I don't even want to go into why subsidies and protectionism harm more than they hurt. The evidence is overwhelming and well documented.

For everyone who benefits for paying less by getting things "cheaper" than others, it is paid for elsewhere. In this case, we have had a system which enabled global trade. It broke down barriers and was an example of how free markets help many people.

If I lived in Russia or a country where games are cheaper I would have been trading so I could buy games too. The right to trade gifts enabled those who may not have had the means to afford as many games to get them and make a little profit on the process. Now they cannot. Yes Valve are perfectly allowed to bow to publishers (and looming capital controls in Russia) on this, but it makes their trading platform irrelevant and I'm sure that they'll be doing this without any joy in doing so.

The fact that so many people swallow corporate nonsense and would glldly enact short sighted policies that would end up harming them is saddening.

Oh for fucks sake.
Some agree with it, some don't. But you are making strange arguments. Earlier you called it a 'right' to trade stuff, while that has nothing to do with anything. You are comparing production in cheaper countries to digital sales, which is not the same thing. Now you are saying protectionism hurts, yet you advocate for that protectionism by saying making cheaper products in other countries is bad. You are all over the place, so it seems like you are just angry you can't get your games cheap anymore.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Meanwhile in the Steam store, TF2 key prices:

udlzO.jpg

Should've sold my few keys when they were going for 2€.

I think Valve has pushed two updates to their pricing schema that does the currency conversions in the last week to try and combat this a bit.

Knowing how bad the Russian Ruble has gotten in the last few months, or even week, I'm not suprised Valve did this is a temporary solution. I'm sure they can't just dictate pricing, and don't want to shut down the store in that region, so this should keep the publishers they serve happy with minimal to no impact to normal customers.

If I lived in Russia or a country where games are cheaper I would have been trading so I could buy games too. The right to trade gifts enabled those who may not have had the means to afford as many games to get them and make a little profit on the process.

My heart goes out to the little russian trader who worked his ass off on the trading factory just that he'd have a just even one game to bring to the christmas table.

"Dada, I..."
"Where's the game Dmitri? Where's the..."
"Dada... the grinch Gabe... he... he stole our christmas. I am sorry dada..."
* one small tear falls down the fathers cheek while he looks at his son*

What a sob story. It breaks my heart, really.

Faabulous

Oh for fucks sake.

I don't even want to go into why subsidies and protectionism harm more than they hurt. The evidence is overwhelming and well documented.

For everyone who benefits for paying less by getting things "cheaper" than others, it is paid for elsewhere. In this case, we have had a system which enabled global trade. It broke down barriers and was an example of how free markets help many people.

If I lived in Russia or a country where games are cheaper I would have been trading so I could buy games too. The right to trade gifts enabled those who may not have had the means to afford as many games to get them and make a little profit on the process. Now they cannot. Yes Valve are perfectly allowed to bow to publishers (and looming capital controls in Russia) on this, but it makes their trading platform irrelevant and I'm sure that they'll be doing this without any joy in doing so.

The fact that so many people swallow corporate nonsense and would glldly enact short sighted policies that would end up harming them is saddening.

You understand those that benefit from keeping the exploits in the Brazillian/Russian regions are a minority right? I've never traded a single steam stuff for profit in my entire life, and I don't know anyone that lives here that does. Those that do are a minority. I'd rather keep what we have, then have a minority bring in a profit through an exploit.

Tsubaru

So, rest of the world, buy from America and Europe or at home country, right?
Hmmm, i see what you didi there, fatty.

SSPssp

Yes you do, all the time. Unless you're buying from a military base, games are taxed just like everything else. It's digital purchases that vary.

Just to add to this, Steam collects sales tax if you live in the state of Washington. They don't have a physical presence in other states, so they don't have to collect any sales tax from other locations.

Steam's been gradually turning to shit for quite some time now. Not surprised...

Valve shouldn't be getting a free pass because they used to make great games.

This. I barely play games on Steam any more, I have it open though to talk to friends I have there. Origin and Uplay get all my game time these days.

M3d10n

lots of people here who arent from the US

basically this could lead to giveaways on GAF and stuff like that being pointless unless you're from the same region

it's an extreme and unnecessary solution to a very specific problem that took advantage of one single country

Games purchased in the "expensive" regions can still be gifted to the "cheap" regions, can't they?

more like unless you're from brazil, which is almost same price and had nothing to do with this shit

The Brazilian currency has devaluated quite a bit in the past months too. It's not despair inducing like the Russian ruble but it's enough to eat into Valve's pockets.

Steam's been gradually turning to shit for quite some time now. Not surprised...

Valve shouldn't be getting a free pass because they used to make great games.
This. I barely play games on Steam any more, I have it open though to talk to friends I have there. Origin and Uplay get all my game time these days.

This conversation is so absurd and hilarious that I'll just save it here under: what the hell am I reading on 2014

whyman

Fuck you steam. I cant afford to get games for Swedish prices. They are insane. Games would not sell well at all in America if you had these prices. My Russian wife has mine saver for buying games on steam!

Top Bottom