• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Russian/Brazillian (or similar) games on Steam now have regional activation locks

RulkezX

I wasn't aware buying Russian software on steam is so popular. Like the games aren't cheap enough?!

Steam isn't cheap at all. Infact is easily one of the most expensive places to buy Pc software on release day in the UK if you buy direct from Steam.

Outside of sales, 3rd party sites like GMG and foreign keys Steam is shit.

Dead Man

It sucks, but on the other hand the whole "buying from other countries" (or gifting, or VPN activating, or whatever) thing always seemed morally ambiguous at best and illegal at worst.

For fucks sake.

If GOG gets a good client working I might switch over, as it is now I prefer to buy games that activate on Steam rather than buying on GOG.

I love that GOG has no client. If they do make one I hope they never require it for their games.

KKRT00

Skyrim is an old game. Tell me where to buy, for example, Dragon Age: Inquisition for 100-120 right now.

zCJxY6B.jpg

I see a lot of exceptions from your 100-120 "rule".

You're arguing semantics here, especially with two examples of 129 PLN, where i specifically said about 129 PLN as a higher spectrum in a second post.
Just forgot about stupid 9 at the end.
GTA is an exception and will cost much less. It already costs less in many shops [149 PLN].

Great now piracy will be back in force. PC gaming had a good comeback but it'll just go back to its old state now.

I'm kinda not kidding

Hahaha, I hope you are, PC gaming has been becoming much more healthy before trading games with Russian game traders became more popular. It is not like you can't get reasonable prices anymore. The entire reason they are offering these games in those countries is to limit piracy anyway, because otherwise they wouldn't get any sales at all.

The isn't the case for the US and west EU. We can afford those games and it makes sense to have the prices higher here.

This is the reason why I liked being able to purchase or trade Steam games. Fuck Euro pricing.

Oh well, Steam was never my first choice nowadays anyway.
20111024gog.jpg

Say hello to superiority.

So I will buy a lot less new games on steam then. Euro prices for new games in Steam are robbery. You can always get boxed copy cheaper.

So? Buy them from the US then? Those are not region locked.

Keasar

The isn't the case for the US and west EU. We can afford those games and it makes sense to have the prices higher here.

So? Buy them from the US then? Those are not region locked.

Or Steam themselves could try lowering the price or make it equal across the western world. GOG.com does it, or when not able to, offers credit at their store.

Also pay Swedish tax once and see how "affordable" everything is after that.

This also isn't taking into account that game sales are lower in general in the UK vs the US, which forces devs to charge more in order to have workable profit margins (ie the us has a pop of ~3x the uk so they can afford to sell games for less because they'll sell more copies overall and make up the difference). So in actuality you are actually paying a difference of about 23%, which as stated above is actually a pretty fair margin considering how much larger the US market is.

Without this type of pricing, most games would never be localized for smaller markets because they couldn't afford to release them and make long term, sustainable profits.

I don't buy at all that the population count of a country is a key factor in pricing strategy of a digital game.Maybe on a physical copy that requires shipping (which was always Sony's excuse for the insane markup on consoles). But saying localisation is a factor in UK paying extra money (certainly when talking about UK v US pricing)... not convinced at all. Most of the time there isn't even any direct UK Specific localistion and we have to put up with all those Zs flying around, as we have to make do with the US Language.

The sales tax/VAT argument I might be able to get behind, somewhat. However, that still doesn't fully explain the laziness of some publishers thinking $1=£1.

It does affect retail keys somewhat (see the link above), but definitely not to the extent that it does gifts bought on Steam itself.

Hmm, so I should keep away from copies that come from multi-packs, or make sure the original copy was activated in an unrestricted country.

Mr_Zombie

Skyrim is an old game. Tell me where to buy, for example, Dragon Age: Inquisition for 100-120 right now.

DA:I PC for a little more: 139PLN
http://www.sferis.pl/p/332259-gra-pc-dragon-age-inkwizycja-pc-1005381.html

zCJxY6B.jpg

I see a lot of exceptions from your 100-120 "rule".

Eh, if you don't know where to look, then sure:
http://www.swiatksiazki.pl/multimedia/obcy-izolacja-creative-assembly-4007156/

The point is, you can get majority of new PC games for 100-120PLN

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
It sucks, but on the other hand the whole "buying from other countries" (or gifting, or VPN activating, or whatever) thing always seemed morally ambiguous at best and illegal at worst.

Yeah, using the freedoms of global trade is so morally ambiguous.

Are you going to say the same about Toyota buying aluminium for the cars from the cheapest country or the US government buying drugs from India? Of course not. This is as unacceptable as Nintendo region locking their consoles and is massively anti consumer. The world should be breaking trading barriers down, not erecting new ones like this.

Please, tell me how trading with people who have legally bought games using a system that includes the ability to trade them across the world is illegal. I'd love to hear it.

Kazdane

I may be missing something, but doesn't this mean that sites like Nuuvem are still intact? The games sold there aren't gifts in Steam, so some keys will still be locked to Brazil and others (ROW) won't, right? At least that's what I understand from what JaseC has been posting.

Wiktor

Good. Publishers lower the local prices because people in those markets are much poorer and couldn't afford them any other way. For rich westerners to exploit that is just lame.

Unless it's different in other countries. I know that at least in Russia the prices are lower.

Or Steam themselves could try lowering the price or make it equal across the western world. GOG.com does it, or when not able to, offers credit at their store.

Also pay Swedish tax once and see how "affordable" everything is after that.

Which is definitely a very user-friendly policy, but I also feel it is unreasonable to expect that from companies when it is the publishers setting those prices. Besides that it is a general trend with all products.

And that still means that there isn't any reason for going to GOG because of this region locking. Because you still can get keys from the US. So if you are going to pretend you are unhappy because of the unequal prices instead of wanting to be very cheap, well, you can still do something about that.

Obviously there is a lot more tax to be paid in Sweden, but don't pretend you don't get any benefits from that.

Seanspeed

Banned
Not true, especially for countries without euro.

Like for example in Poland the wages are similar [like 1:1] as in US, but in PLN, not $.
But PC games cost average 100-120PLN, while console games cost 200-240PLN.
In US same games cost 50$ and 60$ respectively.
Its a big, big difference. i always laugh/cry when Americans complain about 60$ console games considering that we have to pay 4 times more, while having 3 times worse currency, so basically 12 times more than average American.
It is true.

I tried to specifically make it clear I wasn't talking about every country.

Also, if your currency is worth 3x less than in the US, then wages are not the same at all just because they have the same number. Wages would be 3x less, so as you say, the games pricing for Poland is extravagant.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
$ = € affects pretty much every imaginable product out there.

How often has this subject been discussed already?

US prices don't include VAT, Euro prices include VAT. Of course US prices will be 18-20% lower than European prices.

7hSn0UG.png

It's not a coincidence that the Call of Duty is 19.75% cheaper in the US, that's roughly the VAT difference. Americans still pay VAT, but since it's different for each state, prices will vary. That's why VAT is never included in US prices.

US prices don't include VAT, Euro prices include VAT. Of course US prices will be 18-20% lower than European prices.

Well yeah, that's what I meant, should have added "because of VAT" and in hindsight "affect" was a wrong word to use.

Good. Publishers lower the local prices because people in those markets are much poorer and couldn't afford them any other way. For rich westerners to exploit that is just lame.

Unless it's different in other countries. I know that at least in Russia the prices are lower.

not all westerners are rich and those that are do not "exploit it", those that are not rich will try to save money in any way possible and Steams price gouging is hurting enough to make us look in other places for better prices.

Wiktor

Yeah, using the freedoms of global trade is so morally ambiguous.

You know....there are people who went to every humble bundle, paid the minimum price tag (dollar or even 10 cents) and then after couple weeks sold each game seperately for couple bucks. Was it legal? Sure. But it doesn't change how much of an asshole move that was.

Seanspeed

Banned

7hSn0UG.png

It's not a coincidence that the Call of Duty is 19.75% cheaper in the US, that's roughly the VAT difference. Americans still pay VAT, but since it's different for each state, prices will vary. That's why VAT is never included in US prices.
You don't pay extra tax on games in the US that I know of. Its one of the few products where you go and grab a $59.99 product off the shelf and only pay $59.99 for it.

Wiktor

not all westerners are rich and those that are do not "exploit it", those that are not rich will try to save money in any way possible and Steams price gouging is hurting enough to make us look in other places for better prices.
If you have a gaming pc in america you're still likely to be very rich compared to russian gamer.

And local distributors are able to negotiate low prices for their countrymen solely because publisher can be sure that those low priced products won't spread to "rich countries". If they would then publishers would have to make a choice and then you can bet that all the lower prices countries would get screwed up, because USA is much more profotable market. So all this would acomplish in the end is denying poor countries reasonably priced games.

You don't pay extra tax on games in the US that I know of. Its one of the few products where you go and grab a $59.99 product off the shelf and only pay $59.99 for it.

In this case that might be true. I don't think Steam collects taxes in the US because the tax system seems like a mess there and it doesn't apply to online orders or something. Same thing when people got pissed when Amazon started to collect taxes.

Depends on the state though.

Zero2kz

If you are getting it from a physical store, you pay tax on top of the $59.99. Unless some states are different. That is how it is in Ohio.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

So sites like AliExpress and Chinese sellers of physical goods on eBay shouldn't sell items worldwide then? Us rich westerners should only buy from where we are told, at full price, always.

I never expected to hear so much bullshit about the loss of a legitimate use of free trade across borders but here we are.

Next time you consume any food or use any manufactured product, remind yourself of what you just said. If the food comes from a country with cheaper produce (example imported fruit and vegetables etc. After all most grown produce in western countries can be grown at higher cost there but would mean higher prices for consumers) you'll see that the retailer is doing exactly what you're condemning. Using the cheapest possible source of their products. Why on earth do end users not have the right to do the same?

So sites like AliExpress and Chinese sellers of physical goods on eBay shouldn't sell items worldwide then? Us rich westerners should only buy from where we are told, at full price, always.

I never expected to hear so much bullshit about the loss of a legitimate use of free trade across borders but here we are.

Next time you consume any food or use any manufactured product, remind yourself of what you just said. If the food comes from a country with cheaper produce (example imported fruit and vegetables etc) you'll see that the retailer is doing exactly what you're condemning. Using the cheapest possible source of their products. Why on earth do end users not have the right to do the same?

BUY AMERICAN

HariKari

Debt as % of GDP:

Not relevant to the discussion, and taking such a percentage in a vacuum ignores the reality of debt. Having relatively little debt isn't going to save Russia from the near free fall it is experiencing right now:

Russia's economy is crashing and its currency appears to be in free fall.
The ruble plunged by about 12% Monday, meaning it's lost nearly 50% against the dollar this year. Early Tuesday in Russia, the central bank hiked its key interest rate for a sixth time this year to 17% from 10.5%.

A double-whammy of collapsing oil prices and Western sanctions is driving up inflation. Cash is flooding out of the country and the risk that some Russian companies may default is increasing.

Russia's central bank has not only been raising interest rates, but has spent nearly $90 billion trying to defend the ruble and prevent prices spiraling out of control.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/15/investing/russia-ruble-economy-crash/

Valve will likely just drop the ruble as a payment option until things stabilize.

Are games being made in sweatshops with dirt cheap labor overseas like a pair of shoes or a phone? (Cue the Ubisoft jokes)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve will likely just drop the ruble as a payment option until things stabilize.

Yeah, as I said earlier there is a rumour that Valve will drop RUB support and lump in Russia with the rest of Eastern Europe (cheaper USD prices).

Wiktor

Great now piracy will be back in force. PC gaming had a good comeback but it'll just go back to its old state now.

I'm kinda not kidding

It's the opossite actually. Ability to significantly lower prices for local markets was the main reason why piracy was lowered so much. Because people could afford to buy those games. Western gamers exploiting this en masse risked undermining the whole success and bringing the prices in those countries up to their american levels, which for people who earn 300-500 dollars a month just isn't sustainable.

It's the opossite actually. Ability to significantly lower prices for local markets was the main reason why piracy was lowered so much. Because people could afford to buy those games. Western gamers exploiting this en masse risked undermining the whole success and bringing the prices in those countries up to their american levels, which for people who earn 300-500 dollars a month just isn't sustainable.

Just how many filthy rich morally degenerate Westerners do you believe were exploiting this kindness for it to trigger the blocking of trading?

Top Bottom