• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All W8 apps running on Xbox One says Dell

Skeff

My PS3 ran Linux, a bunch of Apps, and was sold by Dell. He must have missed the current gen. But seriously, since when is added functionality a bad thing on any of these consoles?

Since it made them choose 8gb Ram in 2010 and esram and a smaller GPU. We're going to get into the Games and Apps vs. Apps and Gmes now aren't we? I'm out.

Nilaul

Cool so developers will just dump xbox one exclusivity, and just develop for W8 instead. My PC will be my xbone.

Why develop for one platform when you can develop for two?

Bgamer90

Banned
My PS3 ran Linux, a bunch of Apps, and was sold by Dell. He must have missed the current gen. But seriously, since when is added functionality a bad thing on any of these consoles?

It seriously gets annoying when each and every thread involving Xbox & apps gets a response like that as if none of the other consoles (or practically any modern device) doesn't have apps.

Skeff

With an argument that dumb, I'd get out too.

dumb?

They chose 8gb for apps -> DDR3 was the only option at the time ->esram was needed ot increase bandwidth -> took up space on the APU -> less space for a GPU.

It's a solid argument.

No need to be an arsehole.

SPDIF

You do realize that is a pretty terrible selection? Some of these new studios are even explicitly focused on tablet and smartphone games.

If we actually do get a Windows Store on the Xbone some time in the future, I would argue games are going to be included.

When we do. I don't think there's any reason to doubt it at this point. MS will likely dodge questions about it until they're ready to talk about it, which, if I had to guess, won't be until Build 2014.

RedSwirl

Potentially pretty big if true. I always expected the Xbox One to basically be a Windows 8 box.

In my opinion it means the Xbox One already has a sizable library of software -- not just games, on day one.

And seriously, when is added functionality, especially the added functionality of an entire app store, bad for a game console? It's not like it's automatically gonna make it worse at playing games.

kpaadet

You could say that, or you could be very excited to see what Victoria, Black Tusk, Lift London, Osaka and BigPark are bringing to the table. Plus let's not forget Lionhead, 343i, Press Play and Twisted Pixels.

Why would you buy the most expensive console on the market on the hopes of alot of unproven studios? Its takes time for most studios to become great.

SeanR1221

Isn't the phone and W8 ecosystem being folded together in the future too?

That's a lot of potential super cheap games that can be played on your tv with a controller.

But what's the killer app or use case here? I havent seen it.

I think there are two ways to look at this as "killer".

1. App support. If Netflix only has to maintain a single app that works across Windows 8, Windows 8 RT, and Xbox, you'll likely see a higher quality app on the smaller platform than you would otherwise. This should hold true of many apps.

2. On the killer app side, we've some initial attempts that are promising. The Machinima app looks pretty cool, with features beneficial to games and stand-alone entertainment. Don't know that this will ever be a W8 app, but it sounds like it could be without a huge effort. To me, Skype is pretty damn nice, Netflix is great, and if W8 apps like Plex can work that's great. If W8 games can be universal, even better. I'd love to play Halo:Spartan Assault on my TV with a controller on occasion, maintaining my progress across Surface, PC, and XO. Who knows what may come in the future.

Isn't the phone and W8 ecosystem being folded together in the future too?

That's a lot of potential super cheap games that can be played on your tv with a controller.

That's the direction they're headed, but it may be a while off. Last rumor I read said that they are shooting for 70% API compatibility between WP8 and WRT in some Spring '14 update.

Microsoft PR really dropped the ball by not sharing this at E3 if true...

W8 apps suck, but with Xbox One support things could change quickly. It does add mobile phone games to the Xbox One lineup, letting them claim unrealistic numbers... Which would be good for PR purposes.

I say do it!

dumb?

They chose 8gb for apps -> DDR3 was the only option at the time ->esram was needed ot increase bandwidth -> took up space on the APU -> less space for a GPU.

It's a solid argument.

Windows 8 Apps = Apps AND Games.

Halo: Spartan Assault for instance is a "App":
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/e...-assault/8fe2d694-baa2-4011-99c0-3a22216223bb

Here's a link to the front page so you'll see what W8 Apps are all about:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/apps#Cat=t1

UNCMark

Banned
dumb?

It's a solid argument.

They chose 8 gb for apps? It's a stupid argument. That's not being an "arsehole". That's me reacting to a bad supposition.

Lynn616

It's time to install antivirus and firewall on xbone

The Windows Store is like the iPhone Store. Apps are sandboxed and they must meet certification requirements. No system is 100% safe but you will not need antivirus for store apps.

HariKari

Windows 8 Apps = Apps AND Games.

Halo: Spartan Assault for instance is a "App":
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/e...-assault/8fe2d694-baa2-4011-99c0-3a22216223bb

Here's a link to the front page so you'll see what W8 Apps are all about:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/apps#Cat=t1

Am I the only one who buys a gaming console to, you know... game? Why the hell would I want to compromise that in the name of apps when I've got three other devices that are much better for apps and the like? This may be a great thing for some, but I'd rather see all that extra effort put into the gaming side. It just lends more credibility to the horsetrading stories that come out of MS over what the Xbox is supposed to be.

Am I the only one who buys a gaming console to, you know... game? Why the hell would I want to compromise that in the name of apps when I've got three other devices that are much better for apps and the like? This may be a great thing for some, but I'd rather see all that extra effort put into the gaming side. It just lends more credibility to the horsetrading stories that come out of MS over what the Xbox is supposed to be.

If it has Windows 8 already...why not?

It's not like it'll take time from the game developers... I'm sure Microsoft has OS developers taking care of it.

shandy706

Can someone give an example of how this would be useful. I'm struggling to think.

Seems that happens in every X1 thread you enter.

Might want to quit entering them to avoid all those brain farts.

Yeah, who wants those game apps too?

I just want games.

Wait...what? Who likes options....pshhhh.

SPDIF

Microsoft PR really dropped the ball by not sharing this at E3 if true...

W8 apps suck, but with Xbox One support things could change quickly. It does add mobile phone games to the Xbox One lineup, letting them claim unrealistic numbers... Which would be good for PR purposes.

I say do it!

Probably because they weren't ready to announce it then (and likely still aren't close today), and because that the mere mention of apps at E3 would have sent many people here, and elsewhere, crazy. They wanted E3 to just be about games.

But it is coming eventually. I've posted this video about three times already, so I don't want to seem like I'm spamming, but if that's not a huge hint that it'll eventually be coming, then I'm not sure what is.

UNCMark

Banned

The people working on games don't have to stop and work on apps.

Doffen

Why would you buy the most expensive console on the market on the hopes of alot of unproven studios? Its takes time for most studios to become great.

There are few studios that remain constant with it's development team throughout several projects. Even 343i will have gone through a major developer exchange from Halo 4 to Halo 5.

Its a megaton if I can play mkv on this.

Possible, but probably only certain files. The Xbox One will have a Blu-ray drive, that's why it is required from the BDA to have support for Cinavia copy protection. If you want to view a file that is protected by this mechanism, playback will be stopped. I don't think you can circumvent this with an app.

Odrion

Banned
I guess this is why Kinect is mandatory. So there can be parity between all Window 8 apps.

Also this is a pretty big deal, I can see this becoming the thing that people discover about the console that makes it's worth talking about. Like the Xbox Live infrastructure in 2005.

CoG

I've hinted at it before, but total Skype integration:

skyping from your kinect with ANY device using skype (someone on their cell phone walking around outside, or someone on their laptop sitting in starbucks)

I can do this right now from my notebook. Who gives a fuck?

SPDIF

Gemüsepizza;86771446 said:
Possible, but probably only certain files. The Xbox One will have a Blu-ray drive, that's why it is required from the BDA to have support for Cinavia copy protection. If you want to view a file that is protected by this mechanism, playback will be stopped. I don't think you can circumvent this with an app.

I assume the copy protection will only affect the XB1's built in media player. When the store is eventually implemented, in theory there's nothing stopping the VideoLAN team porting the WinRT version of VLC over to the store, thus enabling playback of .mkv files.

I think you misread my original post. W8 Apps includes Games.

Exactly

Who cares about whether you can use Skype on your notebook?

Nobody.

This is an XB1 thread discussing the capabilities coming to the new console.

Using your logic, 1080p on next consoles doesn't even matter because I've been playing at 1080p on my PC for almost all of current gen.

Yes.

People will just use their smartphone or tablet for this stuff, it's a much more sensible proposition than utilizing Facebook on a TV screen. To transfer audio and video content to a bigger screen, solutions like Chromecast, AirPlay or even the moribund Miracast are much more useful.

Obviously a matter of opinion as I'd say not by some margin now but that's a someone who can play all the pc stuff already.

linkeds2

Banned

more people than you think.

its your type of mentality that shuns innovation. If everyone thought like this, we wouldn't have ANY apps on consoles and we'd be paying 5-600$ for consoles that only played games + another 600$ for a laptop so I can be able to skype my family in the Phillipines or my highschool friend in New Orleans.

bob page

So I wonder how Sony can compete against this.

Try and implement Android app compatibility?

Even if this rumor were true, I don't see why Sony would have to. They're not trying to market the PS4 as an all-in-one entertainment center like the XB1 is.

Plus, they have the Vita TV and cross buy / remote play functionality, so they don't really need to worry about getting compatibility with mobile titles.

CoG

Exactly

Who cares about whether you can use Skype on your notebook?

Nobody.

This is an XB1 thread discussing the capabilities coming to the new console.

Don't trump an awkward, paywalled implementation of Skype running on Xbone and Kinect as some killer feature then. Skype is on every single device out there already. I don't see why Skype on the Xbox One is even part of the conversation.

bob page

Interesting, there are some very good applications on the Windows Store.

Like what? I've been using Windows 8 since beta and I have yet to find any worthwhile Metro apps. Perhaps they're more useful on mobile devices but I very rarely use them on my desktop.

Note: I like Windows 8. It's fast and I don't regret updating.

CoG

more people than you think.

its your type of mentality that shuns innovation. If everyone thought like this, we wouldn't have ANY apps on consoles and we'd be paying 5-600$ for consoles that only played games + another 600$ for a laptop so I can be able to skype my family in the Phillipines or my highschool friend in New Orleans.

I'd rather pay $500 for a console that dedicates its hardware to gaming than one that sacrifices 1/3 of its RAM in order to host a W8 runtime environment and kludgy camera for Skype.

statham

Don't trump an awkward, paywalled implementation of Skype running on Xbone and Kinect as some killer feature then. Skype is on every single device out there already. I don't see why Skype on the Xbox One is even part of the conversation.
it depends on who if its a killer feature or not. When netflix was exclusive to the 360 console for a year or so, that was a killer feature to many.

Gestault

For one, this app marketplace means access to more games, and an easier pathway for making some types of games. And oddly enough, if rumors are true, the app connectivity is the only reason Microsoft targeted 8 gb of ram in the first place for their system. That seems fairly win-win to me, if your focus is on games.

I'd rather pay $500 for a console that dedicates its hardware to gaming than one that sacrifices 1/3 of its RAM in order to host a W8 runtime environment and kludgy camera for Skype.

Your line of thinking would be entirely relevant if not for the fact that there about 6 billion OTHER people in the world with their OWN opinions.

Your entire argument basically amounts to "but I don't care about it, so why does it matter?"

Odrion

Banned
Even if this rumor were true, I don't see why Sony would have to. They're not trying to market the PS4 as an all-in-one entertainment center like the XB1 is.
If the Xbone takes off in sales, and the app store becomes a big enough deal, Sony will try to copy it.

Sony didn't earmark 1 gig of ram for nothing.

CoG

Your line of thinking would be entirely relevant if not for the fact that there about 6 billion OTHER people in the world with their OWN opinions.

Your entire argument basically amounts to "but I don't care about it, so why does it matter?"

Yeah, just like all of those people who thought Facebook and Twitter were killer apps for the 360.

Gestault

I think Skype being on every device is precisely why it's such a good choice for the system's voice-chat solution. Considering how useful the focus on universal cross-game voice chat ended up being with the 360, I feel like this is a sign of advancement in an area they already executed well.

Xbox One will run Windows 8 Apps... and its rumored that Windows 8.x will run Windows Phone apps... so eventually Xbox one should be able to run Windows Phone app which is where the real ecosystem in the Metro world is.

Top Bottom