• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alone In The Dark (2024) |OT| Christian Slater and Tara Reid Not Included

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
EQ2TjkP.jpg

Systems: PC, PS5, Xbox
Developer: Pieces Interactive
Publisher: THQ Nordic
Release Date: 3/20/2024
Written and Directed by: Mikael Hedberg (SOMA and Amnesia: The Dark Descent)

Alone in the Dark is a reimagination of the 1992 classic by Frederick Raynal/Infogrames. Set in 1920's Louisiana, the player chooses to venture into the Derceto mansion/mental asylum as either series star Edward Carnby (Fat Cop From Stranger Things' David Harbour) or Emily Hartwood (Jodie Comer) in order to investigate the disappearance of Emily's uncle, Jeremy Hartwood. The game is the classic mix of exploration, puzzles and combat, with the focus being more on the former two as it was in the original.

Each character's adventure has its own segments with different dialogue and action scenes, along with specific collectibles that lead to alternate endings for each character. Replayability is always a good thing.

The OG

kuxJLYu.jpg

fart town usa

Gold Member
Great OT and on the fly no less. Absolutely worthy of gold for a thread dedicated to the reboot of the grand daddy of the survival horror genre. AITD serving up some AA goodness as it should. 🙏

I'm super early into the game and I'm really digging it so far. Derceto feels incredibly lived in and the game encourages you to look closely at the details. L1 zooms the camera in a good deal.

I will continue to share thoughts as I play.

Playing as Emily, PS5 on fidelity mode, HDR. Motion blur turned off. Standard/Old-School (puzzle) difficulty Love the flashlight and the use of colors. A bland and dark hallway will suddenly showcase elegant wallpaper designs and a fantastic blue when your light is shone on it. It's nothing mind blowing but fantastic mood/art direction/atmosphere so far.

Graphics are good too, I have a hard time seeing this game become ugly out of nowhere.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Someone must had given her bad advice about surgeries because you can tell by her looks when she was younger she's simply a really good looking blonde with nice long hair. As long as nothing out of the ordinary happens like she gains or loses a ton of weight or gets a disease or something, she'll still be hot when she's a 50 year old milf (wiki says she's 48 now). But she redid her face, eyes, got new teeth etc... Yikes.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Forgot to mention that the files are read by the voice actor of whichever character(s) it relates to. One in particular went for longer than what the text description showed. Seemed kind of mind blowing, something as simple as a file, read through 100s but to have extra story play out like that, really cool. What if I would have just read it quickly and closed out? 🤔 I hope there are more like that and it makes me think of what I'll notice in subsequent playthroughs. One review mentioned that being able to piece details together in subsequent playthroughs is something he really enjoyed.

I know there are more than two endings as well, some are locked to item collection. There are 15 sets of lagniappe's (trinkets) to collect. 3 in a set.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Someone must had given her bad advice about surgeries because you can tell by her looks when she was younger she's simply a really good looking blonde with nice long hair. As long as nothing out of the ordinary happens like she gains or loses a ton of weight or gets a disease or something, she'll still be hot when she's a 50 year old milf (wiki says she's 48 now). But she redid her face, eyes, got new teeth etc... Yikes.
She was super self conscious about her weight and had liposuction of all things and it was botched in a sense. I think she's spoken about it.

Total shame.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So three of you are in it and enjoying it.

Perfect example of why you really should ignore 99% of "professional" reviewers nowadays.

Not like it matters, but it has a higher MC than Order 1886 and Forspoken and I loved both of those.

So by that logic this game should be a fucking masterpiece :messenger_grinning_smiling:

The Gamespot 4 review was weird as he said it was:

• A story that is, for the most part, enjoyable and moody
  • Exploring Derceto is interesting and full of lore
That sounds decent to me - an enjoyable/interesting experience for the most part. Will try to pick this up, as it reminds me a bit of those old graphic adventures i.e. colonel’s bequest, gabriel knight etc - I love a haunted house game.

fart town usa

Gold Member
First combat encounter and Emily is incredibly spry. Combat flowed much quicker than I expected and I really enjoyed the gunplay and overall feel. Dodge mechanic similar to 3make but I don't think there's a slowdown mechanic or anything like that. Really curious how melee will feel.

So three of you are in it and enjoying it.

Perfect example of why you really should ignore 99% of "professional" reviewers nowadays.

Not like it matters, but it has a higher MC than Order 1886 and Forspoken and I loved both of those.

So by that logic this game should be a fucking masterpiece :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I know a certain gaffer who would be pleased to hear this lol.

Nice OT, btw!

The Gamespot 4 review was weird as he said it was:

• A story that is, for the most part, enjoyable and moody
  • Exploring Derceto is interesting and full of lore
That sounds decent to me - an enjoyable/interesting experience for the most part. Will try to pick this up, as it reminds me a bit of those old graphic adventures i.e. colonel’s bequest, gabriel knight etc - I love a haunted house game.
Watched the review too. Gamespot totally tko the game because of the combat. Regardless will wait for sale.

There is are too many good things coming out now.

You had.
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
Outcast 2
Contra: Galuga
Unicorn Overlord
Dragon's Dogma 2
Gotta prioritize.

I have FF7 Rebirth sitting on shelf in its nice Deluxe Edition package.

I may not ever open it.

Soon as I got Alone in The Dark collector's I broke it down.

Probably will grab and play Dragon's Dogma before, too.

MacReady13

Picked it up on PS5 and will play it this weekend. Looking forward to getting stuck into it. Never played any of the previous games but the positive word of mouth pushed me across the line. Plus it's nice to help out an AA game maker.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Nice re7/true detective vibes

NmmiO8z.jpg
oVx9dwm.jpg
0wDGh6M.jpg

Already know I’m gonna love this. It’s moody and looks great. The smoky jazz music is on point and the writing and voice acting so far is super solid. Harbour might as well be playing 1920s Hopper and I gots no problem with that.

And check this, when he asks Emily why she brought him along her response is “I wouldn’t feel safe going alone.”

No “Trust me Mr. Carnby I can handle myself. It wasn’t my choice” “strong”woman bullshit. She’s just a normal woman.

Stuff like that is how I know this wasn’t fucked with by outside western influences.

Fucking A to the AA

Last edited:
Nice re7/true detective vibes

NmmiO8z.jpg
oVx9dwm.jpg
0wDGh6M.jpg

Already know I’m gonna love this. It’s moody and looks great. The smoky jazz music is on point and the writing and voice acting so far is super solid. Harbour might as well be playing 1920s Hopper and I gots no problem with that.

And check this, when he asks Emily why she brought him along her response is she says “I wouldn’t feel safe going alone.”

No “Trust me Mr. Carnby I can handle myself. It wasn’t my choice” strong woman bullshit. She’s just a normal woman.

Stuff like that is how I know this wasn’t fucked with by outside western influences.

Fucking A to the AA
So, I just started it myself and when the jazzy intro hit I knew it was a sleeper.

The tone is right!

Character models...meh. Could be worse.

Impressions incoming.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

And check this, when he asks Emily why she brought him along her response is she says “I wouldn’t feel safe going alone.”

No “Trust me Mr. Carnby I can handle myself. It wasn’t my choice” “strong”woman bullshit. She’s just a normal woman.

Fucking A to the AA
You sold me at smoky Jazz music, everything else is a plus (Including the Soma writer) :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Forgot to mention that the files are read by the voice actor of whichever character(s) it relates to. One in particular went for longer than what the text description showed. Seemed kind of mind blowing, something as simple as a file, read through 100s but to have extra story play out like that, really cool. What if I would have just read it quickly and closed out? 🤔 I hope there are more like that and it makes me think of what I'll notice in subsequent playthroughs. One review mentioned that being able to piece details together in subsequent playthroughs is something he really enjoyed.

I know there are more than two endings as well, some are locked to item collection. There are 15 sets of lagniappe's (trinkets) to collect. 3 in a set.

Just got to the part with that file. Amazing. Never seen that done before. It really entices you to listen to all of the dialogue for the clues you find.

The first thing I'll say is:

NO MORE LOCKED DOORS!

door GIF

There's jank and it's a low res RE, but damn turn on quality mode and watch your console struggle.

Game looks wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better in quality mode.

Very atmospheric, not so much creepy yet tho. Will be playing until bed.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
What a fucking breath of fresh air this game is so far

Another awesome man/woman in game duo (Banishers also amazing), oh shit and they’re both white 😮

No bullshit. No shoved in modern politics. The last time I was this sort of elated with a games purity was with Robocop Rogue City and hey look, also AA and made by Europeans with a true love for original source material.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
EJZmn5p.jpg

VWd7UAw.jpg
2W8mWiu.jpg
jBi2pzp.jpg
RlThBtT.jpg

I’m fucking loving this. The lighting, the mood, the music, mood. That saxophone 🤤

Best game I’ve played all year so far. Yes, I got sucked immediately more into this than Persia, Rebirth, Yakuza etc

If you liked RE2R, R3 or hell, even 7 because of the setting, you gotta get on this. Just be ready for that charming eurojank 🥰

I’m already excited to replay simply because the of the acting. Like I actually wanna hear Comers reaction to stuff in contrast to Harbours. That never happens with me.

His voice is already good for voice overs and man does he nail that Leon/Isaac Clark “FUCK!” type response when an enemy is closing in while reloading 😂

Last edited:
The game is creepy as hell.

THQ Nordic really put their foot off into this one.

For those who are bored with RE and Amensia, or waiting for Silent Hill 2, don't miss this. This is 90s survival horror made modern.

Alone in The Dark is back. It hasn't even started and I'd easily score it an 8.

Silent Hill 2 Remake better hope it's this good.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The game is creepy as hell.

THQ Nordic really put their foot off into this one.

For those who are bored with RE and Amensia, or waiting for Silent Hill 2, don't miss this. This is 90s survival horror made modern.

Alone in The Dark is back. It hasn't even started and I'd easily score it an 8.

Silent Hill 2 Remake better hope it's this good.

Yeah same also 8.

But I haven’t gotten the shotgun yet 🙂

Top Bottom