• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alone in the Dark reboot launches October 25; free playable Prologue now available - stars David Harbour and Jodie Comer

Draugoth

Gold Member
FxA0LTtX0AEurRl

FxA0T8DaIAE8DdO

The Alone in the Dark reboot will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, and PC via Steam on October 25 for $59.99 / £49.99 / €59.99, publisher THQ Nordic and developer Pieces Interactive announced. Digital pre-orders are available now.

Alone in the Dark: Prologue, a free playable prologue that sets up the atmosphere without any spoilers to the main story, is available now for all platforms (PlayStation Store, Microsoft Store, Steam).

THQ Nordic also announced that Alone in the Dark protagonists Emily Harwood and Edward Carnby will be portrayed by famous actors Jodie Comer (Killing Eve, Free Guy) and David Harbour (Stranger Things, Black Widow), respectively. Each actor will lend their voice, appearance, and acting skills to their character. Players will experience a different take on the same story depending on which character they choose.

In a statement during the showcase, the original 1992 game’s creator Frédérick Raynal gave his blessing to the remake. “With all the remakes going on today, you are never sure what you get at the end,” he said.

“I think that Mikael and the team at Pieces did a great job preserving the core feeling of the game. They even went further than everything I could expect 30 years ago.

Players who pre-order Alone in the Dark will get a Decerto 1992 Costume Pack DLC, which replaces the character models with the low-poly characters from the original 1992 version of Alone in the Dark.

Last edited:
The last 2 games which came out with AiTD branding were pretty shit .. folks must have told you about the original games from early 90s.
Basically yea lol. I had to edit before posting because I almost said 'all' and realized I'd probably be making a mistake. I would hear this IP brought up alongside the likes of Silent Hill and Fatal Frame.

Aenima

I still own the original in a CD for PC. I like that the new cover art for the game is pretty much a modern version of the cover art of the original.

Back in the day i never managed to go very far in the game, so cant wait to play this remake.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Hate this trend of using famous actor faces for videogame carachters.

Other than that, this is looking really promissing! I do hope that they deliver at the end.

Reactions: Fuz

Duchess

Ah, Jodie Comer. Talented, hot girl. Absolutely wasted on Killing Eve*, after the first series.

(* - I read the first book, on which the series is adapted - utterly dreadful!)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Whelp the demo thread got closed so here's some screens from the demo from a Series X.

The game is Unreal 4 btw.

Alone_in_the_Dark_Prologue-2023_05_25-21_42_15.png

Alone_in_the_Dark_Prologue-2023_05_25-21_38_02.png

Alone_in_the_Dark_Prologue-2023_05_25-21_45_12.png

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This will be my first AiTD experience. I've heard good things about most of the series.
"Most" is pretty generous. It's had a lot of trouble getting its footing after... well really after the first one, but most people will probably give you the original trilogy.

But this new one seems to be taking a good approach, using the first (and best) game as a framework and taking it back to the Lovecraftian roots. I'm gonna jump into this playable prologue.

Last edited:

Markio128

Any impressions yet from fellow Gaffers? The original game is now so old, even I’m struggling to remember it.

SF Kosmo

Any impressions yet from fellow Gaffers? The original game is now so old, even I’m struggling to remember it.
The prologue is very brief, maybe 10 minutes, but it made a positive impression. Feels polished, creepy, and recognizable as Alone in the Dark. Compared to other horror remakes in recent memory, it's clearly much looser, but compared to other sequels and reboots in this series it's way more faithful.

I also get a bit of Eternal Darkness vibes, for anyone who was into that.

Last edited:

Banned
This will be my first AiTD experience. I've heard good things about most of the series.

really? it legit had like 1 good game... and that was The new Nightmare.
Alone in the Dark 1 was awful, 2 was better but bad as well, 3 was more of the same but now in a western town from what I remember. 4 (The new Nightmare) was the only game in the series that was actually good... then came the reboot which was promising with lots of cool ideas, but it was a buggy unfinished mess... still better than the first 3 games tho.

Last edited:

JCK75

Alone in the Dark 1 was awful, 2 was better but bad as well, 3 was more of the same but now in a western town from what I remember. 4 (The new Nightmare) was the only game in the series that was actually good... then came the reboot which was promising with lots of cool ideas, but it was a buggy unfinished mess... still better than the first 3 games tho.

1-3 were fantastic
New Nightmare and everything since were dogshit, completely erasing the Lovecraft and replacing it trying to be an edgy modern horror game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The demo is way too small, just a 4 room walking segment.

The trailers show gun combat etc, none of that in the demo to form an opinion i think,.

bender

What time is it?

There isn't much to it. The main characters laissez faire attitude to the surrounding horrors saps any sense of tension. It's got atypical horror-game sound design that is really ineffective. The faked southern accents of the characters are awful. The visuals are clean and pleasant.

adamsapple adamsapple should remove that last screenshot. It's really the only jump scare that has any potential of landing, though it didn't for me.

Last edited:

Banned
1-3 were fantastic
New Nightmare and everything since were dogshit, completely erasing the Lovecraft and replacing it trying to be an edgy modern horror game.

1-3 were basically mediocre graphics adventures with the worst combat imaginable thrown in... it's like playing the pre-alpha version of RE1.
also unfair instant death traps...

so it's all the Sierra-esque bullshit + clunky combat.
it was "revolutionary" I guess, given that it inspired resident evil, but it had so many awful design elements and unrefined gameplay that, hell no, they aren't even close to being fantastic, or even good for that matter.

"Most" is pretty generous. It's had a lot of trouble getting its footing after... well really after the first one, but most people will probably give you the original trilogy.

But this new one seems to be taking a good approach, using the first (and best) game as a framework and taking it back to the Lovecraftian roots. I'm gonna jump into this playable prologue.
1-3 were fantastic
1-3 were basically mediocre graphics adventures with the worst combat imaginable thrown in... it's like playing the pre-alpha version of RE1.
also unfair instant death traps...

so it's all the Sierra-esque bullshit + clunky combat.
it was "revolutionary" I guess, given that it inspired resident evil, but it had so many awful design elements and unrefined gameplay that, hell no, they aren't even close to being fantastic, or even good for that matter.

Seems like there's disagreements about which ones are the best, but overall it seems like the ones that left the most impact were 1-4?

I don't know....4 out of 6 games being considered good doesn't seem like a bad ratio guys 🤷‍♂️

SF Kosmo

Seems like there's disagreements about which ones are the best, but overall it seems like the ones that left the most impact were 1-4?

I don't know....4 out of 6 games being considered good doesn't seem like a bad ratio guys 🤷‍♂️
The real problem is that it's not a very coherent series. A lot of the senior staff left to form Adeline after the first game, so even 2 and 3 felt campier and different, trading the Lovecraftian story for Ghost Pirates and Cowboys, which a lot of people didn't like as much. The first game for all its clunky controls and blocky graphics had pretty creepy writing and story, but the sequels were more campy in tone than scary.

And then all the games since have been these sort of soft reboots by various contracted studios that try to incorporate the character -- despite a modern setting -- but don't in any way feel like extensions of the same series. New Nightmare was a competent attempt to update the series for the RE era, and probably the most liked of these. From there it goes real bad. The 2008 game tried a lot of ambitious ideas but it didn't work and the story made no sense. The less said about 2015 the better.

So that's why it's interesting to see someone go back to the first game and try to start over, because trying to make any kind of sense of anything that game since is just a wasted effort.

Last edited:

SaintALia

At best a 7 on MT. I'm still rooting for it, but my expectations are pretty low for this franchise. Not interested in celebrity stars either.

Looking forward to more gameplay footage and a better demo closer to release.

xrnzaaas

I don't know what was the point of the prologue. It's not even 10 minutes of gameplay, it doesn't show any mechanics, it's more like a walking sim.

Also I hope that hiring 2 recognizable Hollywood actors won't hurt the budget of the game.

Top Bottom